IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

23 minutes ago, Tkgamer said:

Does it matter wether it is the standard, the -s or -k variant? 

that's just the colour. "S" is silver and "K" black ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Great find this thread, thanks to all contributors, hope to give this a try on my OPPO 105 soon!

Newbie question, once I have produced the ISO, what (if anything) do I have to do with that or extract from it, to be able to play it back on the OPPO, either on disc or, preferably, from a USB attached hard drive?

To play back the music contained on the ISO one needs to either extract the DSF files (ISO2DSD free GUI app from Sonore

or ISO2DSF (free workflow from Bogi) and play on a USB DSD dac (or Oppo if right model)

http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1IZPbDClIn6dW9nNVNiRjNNT1k

or

play ISO directly to same USB dac using a player that will read ISOs directly (Jriver, foobar, Audirvana, etc).  Note: keep in mind that if you read ISOs directly many of them will also list their multichannel content; don't pick those tracks.

When you say "either on disc" you are referring to the original SACD or an ISO burnt to DVD_R which is referred to as an SACD-R (Oppo does not support) or a DSD-Disc (not sure if Oppo supports but a pita anyway).

Hi Ted,

24 minutes ago, MeanDorris said:

Great find this thread, thanks to all contributors, hope to give this a try on my OPPO 105 soon!

Newbie question, once I have produced the ISO, what (if anything) do I have to do with that or extract from it, to be able to play it back on the OPPO, either on disc or, preferably, from a USB attached hard drive?

Sometimes extracted files have playback click issues. There many reasons and no general recommendation how to fix it.

Very recommended use audio player with gapless playback ability for avoiding clicks.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Clicks are easily edited out with SOX

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

14 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Clicks are easily edited out with SOX

You realize these aren't clicks in the files, they're "clicks" between tracks caused by sudden stop/start of music.  If you have a quick, easy and free recipe for taking care of this, please provide it here and many folks will likely be grateful.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

38 minutes ago, ted_b said:

To play back the music contained on the ISO one needs to either extract the DSF files (ISO2DSD free GUI app from Sonore

or ISO2DSF (free workflow from Bogi) and play on a USB DSD dac (or Oppo if right model)

or

play ISO directly to same USB dac using a player that will read ISOs directly (Jriver, foobar, Audirvana, etc).  Note: keep in mind that if you read ISOs directly many of them will also list their multichannel content; don't pick those tracks.

When you say "either on disc" you are referring to the original SACD or an ISO burnt to DVD_R which is referred to as an SACD-R (Oppo does not support) or a DSD-Disc (not sure if Oppo supports but a pita anyway).

JRiver will play back ISO files, if your DAC can handle DSD files direct. I know that because the iFi DACs will do that.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

JRiver will play back ISO files, if your DAC can handle DSD files direct. I know that because the iFi DACs will do that.

I use Twonky Server to 'steam' (via ethernet) my music to an Oppo 105 because of its simplicity and efficiency. The Oppo definitely won't play ISO files via Twonky. But will it play them if I use JRiver to stream?

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

or

Thanks, I just managed to get my first rip going within minutes without hitch!

I'm using the Sonore app to extract anyhow as on Mac, so I can use that to extract further when done.

What is / are the "right" OPPO models that will playback DSF directly? And will this allow playback of multichannel content?

Yes, I was meaning the ISO burnt to DVD-R. Have none of the OPPO models ever supported this?

29 minutes ago, MeanDorris said:

What is / are the "right" OPPO models that will playback DSF directly? And will this allow playback of multichannel content?

I use a BDP-105 for stereo and a UDP-203 for multichannel.  I presume the 103 and 105 will play multichannel too.

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

And that is why I mentioned JRiver, in fact first in my list.  I simply wanted users to know that the table of contents in ISO playback will include multichannel tracks, too, unless you create a 2 channel ISO view (easy, and I explain in my JRiver videos, links in my signature).  Net/net, simply create a view and the rules are "files equal SACD" (that's what JRiver calls ISOs) and "channels equl or less than two".

26 minutes ago, riskylogic said:

I use a BDP-105 for stereo and a UDP-203 for multichannel.  I presume the 103 and 105 will play multichannel too.

Yes, the OPPO 105 seems to play back the multichannel DSF's just fine - awesome!

I assume if have to create different files if I want the stereo layer?

25 minutes ago, ted_b said:

SACD-R playback was once supported in all Oppo models, but that went away years ago with firmware.

Ok, I have reasonable set of them, so if I have a 93 that still supports ISO file play back may the SACD-R work? Less of an issue that it will playback DSF directly anyhow ;0)

I have been successfully ripping SACD (both Stereo and MCH) from my Oppo 103D thanks to this great thread.

I am currently streaming the stereo DSF files from my Synology NAS via Lumin A1. I am also now streaming MCH DSF files from Synology NAS  running Media Server (DLNA) via Oppo 103D using the Oppo App. .

The Oppo 103D is transmitting the MCH DSF files via HDMI to my Integra DHC 80.3.  I am using a Blue Jeans HDMI cable.

My question is if anyone has done any testing on various HDMI cables for streaming MCH DSF files to see if there is any AUDIO performance differences between a standard good HDMI cable and any of the premium HDMI cables. I am not trying to start a flame war about HDMI cables and how they cannot possibly make a difference. I am just curious if anyone has done any testing and what their findings were. Thanks

I enjoy streaming stereo DSF files from my QNAP TS-879 PRO NAS to my Lumin S1 and on to my McIntosh system via balanced interconnects.  I have, from time to time, listened to MCH files via my BDP-103 into my MX-151 using some rather pricy (to me) HDMI cables like Audioquest Chocolate and Carbon and some of the standard OEM cables provided with the equipment itself.

I can't speak to what differences you or anyone else may be able to hear hear via different HDMI cables but  I was unable to hear anything different.  Then again my tired old ears can't hear the differences in sound quality between audiophile-grade fuses, etc., and may other tweaks that are popular these days.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I stream from my Synology NAS DS176+II with the built in DNLA Music Server...it will stream the DSF files to my player (both the 105 and Sonica).  I don't hear any clicks...but there is a small gap but it doesn't bug me as much as most the folks posting on this site.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Can anyone explain to me the point of ripping MCH sacds only to then stream them back through the same player.  I get the point in ripping then replaying back through a better DAC, but surely unless for ease of use, you might as well play the sacd directly in the player.

ps all my rips produce 2.8 GhzDSD files. I was expecting 5.6 or even 11.2. I'm not sure why I should but I'd be interested in an answer.

My DAC, my Lumin S1, does not do multichannel.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

6 minutes ago, iwf said:

ps all my rips produce 2.8 GhzDSD files. I was expecting 5.6 or even 11.2. I'm not sure why I should but I'd be interested in an answer.

because DSD 64 is SACD format just as PCM 16/44.1 is CDs format ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

12 minutes ago, iwf said:

Can anyone explain to me the point of ripping MCH sacds only to then stream them back through the same player.  I get the point in ripping then replaying back through a better DAC, but surely unless for ease of use, you might as well play the sacd directly in the player.

I have just about my entire collection ripped to my network hard drive, which I can direct play from using my ipad.  So, when deciding to play, what is not ripped is largely forgotten.  Now that I can rip SACDs, a) they are back in my collection, and b) I'm buying more of them.

16 minutes ago, iwf said:

Convenience: I can quickly search across my network for whatever I want to play.

Preservation: Should the disc develop a problem, I have an iso backup (or vice versa).

FYI: I have an Oppo 103 and use Sonore.

3 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

I enjoy streaming stereo DSF files from my QNAP TS-879 PRO NAS to my Lumin S1 and on to my McIntosh system via balanced interconnects.  I have, from time to time, listened to MCH files via my BDP-103 into my MX-151 using some rather pricy (to me) HDMI cables like Audioquest Chocolate and Carbon and some of the standard OEM cables provided with the equipment itself.

I can't speak to what differences you or anyone else may be able to hear hear via different HDMI cables but  I was unable to hear anything different.  Then again my tired old ears can't hear the differences in sound quality between audiophile-grade fuses, etc., and may other tweaks that are popular these days.

I appreciate your feedback. Real empirical experiences are what I am seeking..

To answer the other question about why I would want to stream MCH DSF files through the Oppo that really comes back to the convenience of streaming audio from a NAS in general. In addition with the promise of potentially better performance down the road if I improve my MCH DSD D/A component of my system.

5 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

I appreciate your feedback. Real empirical experiences are what I am seeking..

To answer the other question about why I would want to stream MCH DSF files through the Oppo that really comes back to the convenience of streaming audio from a NAS in general. In addition with the promise of potentially better performance down the road if I improve my MCH DSD D/A component of my system.

I may have misunderstood but were you really asking about quantitative testing revealing measurable, instrumented differences in HDMI cable performance or perceived differences in "musicality"?  My findings, empirically based or based upon experience, told me that there we no observable differences between HDMI brands or costs of HDMI cables. YMMV.

5 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I may have misunderstood but were you really asking about quantitative testing revealing measurable, instrumented differences in HDMI cable performance or perceived differences in "musicality"?  My findings, empirically based or based upon experience, told me that there we no observable differences between HDMI brands or costs of HDMI cables. YMMV.

Don't worry about digital cables. Though sometimes cables may cause noise at amplifier output by interference reason. I measurement tools unavailable, I check it via cable replacement and checking background noise in speakers.

Digital cables don't impact to sound trasparency.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

6 minutes ago, audiventory said:

Don't worry about digital cables. Though sometimes cables may cause noise at amplifier output by interference reason. I measurement tools unavailable, I check it via cable replacement and checking background noise in speakers.

Digital cables don't impact to sound trasparency.

Hi Yuri.  I agree with your statement.