IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

This is all great feedback, and clearly requires me to amend the instructions at the top of this thread somewhat. I figured that, but assumed it might get more complex...not realizing that the most foreign of steps (telnet) is now an option worth skipping.

So...for the successful Oppo users: could you write a simple instruction on how you ripped an ISO without telnet (i.e what steps of mine do you now get to skip).

Same goes for a BDP-160 user (assume you use the sacd_extract_160 files?). Once we have all this categorized I will also add to my SACD guide PDF (it needs a lot of updating anyway). Thanks.

Simple Instructions for PC users with iso2dsd (adapted from grill's post)

1) Connect your player to your LAN according to the player's manual. Write down the IP address of your player. Check if you see your player in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC connected to the same LAN.

2) Copy the unzipped AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick. You can leave your other files on your stick.

3) Copy the iso2dsd_PC_v7 (from Sonore iso2DSD) unzipped folder files to a drive of your PC connected to your LAN. Make sure your drive has enough free space for the SACD iso(s) to be ripped.

4) Turn on your player and turn off the Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume in the Playback Setup. Connect your prepared USB stick to your player. The tray should open. You can leave your USB stick in your player or remove it.

5) Insert an SACD and close the tray. Wait until the player recognizes the disc.

6) Run iso2dsd_gui.exe from the drive on your PC. Select Server Input from topleft. Select Raw ISO as the Output Mode. Enter the IP address of your player (from Step 1) in the IP Address Port window*. Click on Execute. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

7) When dsd2iso indicates Done, eject disc and repeat from Step 5 (or click Quit).

8) Remove USB stick and reboot to return to normal player use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The options for Channel Mode and Convert DST to DSD are irrelevant for ripping to ISO. I recommend clicking on Print to see a track listing in iso2dsd before ripping begins.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Problem when I check my list of devices that are connected to my Mac Mini my Oppo 103 D does not show up nor does my Mac show up on the Oppo which makes sense. Both are connected by ethernet to the same router why don't they show on the same network and how can I get them to recognize each other?

Problem when I check my list of devices that are connected to my Mac Mini my Oppo 103 D does not show up nor does my Mac show up on the Oppo which makes sense. Both are connected by ethernet to the same router why don't they show on the same network and how can I get them to recognize each other?

My Mac does not see the Oppo either. I can't say for sure what's going on with your system, but the fact that you can't see the Oppo in your network/shared device list on your Mac does not mean you can't rip SACDs with it.

Thanks to KAL and tmtomh for the step by step. I'm a bit lost on the target folder selection which seems to be missing from both descriptions.

I take it, like when using SACD_EXTRACT.EXE, where the iso2dsd_gui.exe is located, by default, a new folder is created in the same folder and the target SACD.ISO is created there?

On order is a Cambridge CXU, let's see how that works.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

First off, thanks again Ted for your efforts in making this a viable option for so many of us!

A simple set of instructions for Mac users:

1. Download Ted’s Dropbox ZIP file from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8cunli3d3...2EwCCBhya?dl=0. UnZIP, and discard the “SACD Extract” folder.
  2. Copy the Autoscript folder to the root level of an DOS/FAT32-formatted USB stick. (Other files can be on the stick - it doesn’t need to be blank)
  3. Download and install Oracle Java 8 SE Development kit for Mac from Java SE Development Kit 8 - Downloads. Macs running El Capitan 10.11 may need to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP), do the install, and then re-enable SIP: How to Disable System Integrity Protection (rootless) in OS X El Capitan | OSXDaily
  4. Download the Sonore ISO2DSD Java app joker linked to. Here’s a different link to it: Sonore ISO2DSD – V.A.M.P.
  5. UnZIP the Sonore download and move the folder into your Applications folder (or wherever you want it). Be sure to keep the .jar file and the "sacd extract" file together in the same folder, wherever you decide to put them.
  6. Power on Oppo, ensure it’s connected to your network via ethernet or wi-fi.
  7. Disable Auto-play and Auto-resume in Oppo settings.
  8. Use Oppo Remote iOS app (or whatever method you like) to find your player’s IP address on your network.
  9. Insert USB stick into any of the Oppo’s USB ports. Disk drawer will open almost immediately.
  10. Insert SACD of your choosing, close drawer with open/close button (NOT with Play button).
  11. On your Mac, launch the .jar file inside the Sonore ISO2DSD folder.
  12. In ISO2DSD window, select “from server” radio button at the top, then enter Oppo’s IP address from step 8.
  13. On righthand side of ISO2DSD window, select “raw ISO” under “output format.”
  14. Press Execute button. Ripping will start in about 10 seconds and progress bar will show.

Wow. It works perfectly. I just ripped one disc and is doing a second one. Thank you all for sharing.

For me, searching in the local markets for a PS3 that can rip an SACD is impossible. Must be a generation 1 or 2 PS3 with old firmware, although, firmware can be backdated, but at consideral cost because of shipping. And on top of that problem the local PS3 sellers cannot even read the model number on the product label.

Beter to find a Panasonic BDP-170, new or used. I just ordered a new 170 from amazon.com that ships from Japan.

Panasonic BDP-170 doesn't seem to support SACD, did you mean Pioneer?

Thanks to KAL and tmtomh for the step by step. I'm a bit lost on the target folder selection which seems to be missing from both descriptions.

I take it, like when using SACD_EXTRACT.EXE, where the iso2dsd_gui.exe is located, by default, a new folder is created in the same folder and the target SACD.ISO is created there?

On order is a Cambridge CXU, let's see how that works.

Yes

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

My Mac does not see the Oppo either. I can't say for sure what's going on with your system, but the fact that you can't see the Oppo in your network/shared device list on your Mac does not mean you can't rip SACDs with it.

Thanks for the reply and the step by step. When I hit extract I get the message cannot connect to and it lists the Oppo's IP address. I must have missed a step somewhere.

Guest Joseph

I want to say thank you to ted_b and many others for sharing this great info.

I did 4 successful rips in a row today, using an Oppo BDP-105 to a Mac Mini following JediJoker’s and tmtomh's instructions. The process is really easy and worked the first time for me.

Here are more details, I hope it’s helpful:

Oppo BDP-105

Firmware: BDP10X-80-1031

USB stick in front usb port.

Through Airport Extreme using Ethernet to Oppo and Mac Mini (Late 2012, 4 Core i7).

OSX EL Capitan 10.11.6

I’m getting 3.0 MB/sec rips to raw iso files to the internal fusion drive, using Sonore ISO2DSD. It is taking about 20 minutes per rip.

Check out step 12 of my guide above: If you're being prompted to select a target folder, then the ISO2DSD app is still in "from file" mode - you need to click the "from server" radio button at the top left area of the window. Then the select target folder area will disappear, and it will be replaced by an area where you can enter the IP address of your disc player.

Almost - the ISO file is not placed in a new folder; rather, it's created in the same folder where the ISO2DSD app is.

Check out step 12 of my guide above: If you're being prompted to select a target folder, then the ISO2DSD app is still in "from file" mode - you need to click the "from server" radio button at the top left area of the window. Then the select target folder area will disappear, and it will be replaced by an area where you can enter the IP address of your disc player.

Almost - the ISO file is not placed in a new folder; rather, it's created in the same folder where the ISO2DSD app is.

Thank you that makes the process a lot clearer.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Guest winopener

Can you try another package: link ?

Script contains only autoscroll commands.

Tried with my 180 fw 1.04, no autoscroll.

Any way to dump the frimware for analisys?

Any way to dump the frimware for analisys?

No need to. Firmware available for download and analisys already. But it's useless without hardware for testing.

BDP-180 is based on MTK8563, not on MTK8560 as 160/170.

ted_b, you can safely remove (for now) BDP-180 from list of compatible player's.

I'll try to get one 180 for testing and see if this works out.

Guest winopener
No need to. Firmware available for download and analisys already. But it's useless without hardware for testing.

BDP-180 is based on MTK8563, not on MTK8560 as 160/170.

ted_b, you can safely remove (for now) BDP-180 from list of compatible player's.

I'll try to get one 180 for testing and see if this works out.

In your opinion better dump the 180 and get a 170? 160 is out of question, not available anymore new. Or even the 170 does have some problems?

In your opinion better dump the 180 and get a 170? 160 is out of question, not available anymore new. Or even the 170 does have some problems?

It depends... If you need hardware only for ripping SACD then 170 is good choise for now. It's confirmed in this topic that sacd_extract daemon is working on BDP-170.

But if you want more versatile device - maybe it's better to wait until someone will find a way to starts daemon on BDP-180. Thing is for BDP-180 is available alternative firmware from chinese guys (untested yet). They promised bd.iso/sacd-r/sacd.iso/nfs/multiregion/cue/no_cinavia. But it's unclear yet if this firmware works with no trouble.

Tried this with my Pioneer BDP-LX88 and it's not working. Looks as if it's not reading the USB Stick correctly. I can't open a telnet connection and the drawer won't open. Tried both downloads with the different AutoScript files.

Ripping: PC with Win7 64bit and dbpoweramp reference | Music: MacMini 2011 | 16GB | Crucial 512GB SSD | Sierra | LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 6TB | La Rosita Beta New with La Rosita iTunes Plug-In | Pioneer BDP-LX88 | Rega RP6 with Ortofon 2M Black | Rega Aria MC/MM | Ayre AX-7e | Ayre Codex | Hifiman HE-400i | Mulidine Cadence |