IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

3 hours ago, Gregavi said:

This is a good start but obviously not a complete list of verified players that are capable of using the method described in this thread to rip SACDs. I know there is a partial list early in the thread that I was unable to find. I'll look again and maybe create a list of said players.

Huh? The link in the post that I quoted by @alandbush does contain the full list indeed.

My only input was to add the equivalent Sony BX models that are identical to S series units except that they shipped with an HDMI cable in the box, those I listed as additions to the linked list in that post I quoted.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Hi, newly registered here thanks to this great solution to rip sacd.

I have tried to scan the thread but not able to understand one thing. I am awaiting a used Pioneer bdp 170 and for what I can read from here the ripping works with firmware 1.02 but is that also the latest firmware for that player? Or is there a later? If so, anyone know if a later firmware would do the trick?

Looking for a little help getting the Sony BDP S590 running.

I currently rip with a Pioneer BDP-80FD and have no issues.  I bought a S590 as a backup player and just trying to get it set up and working once before putting it away for safe keeping.

Here is how far I've got

• Sony player networks setup with a static IP.  static IP loaded into the SACD.cmd on my Windows 10 machine.
  • USB drive prepared.  Clean FAT format.  
  • Autoscript folder containing 3 files copied over.  
    • AutoScript
    • AuotScript.TSS
    • sacd_extract_160
  • Both AutoScript files modified using telnetd instead of inetd per Dick's writeup on page 111 of this thread.  I have tried it both ways.
  • Started the S590 with the USB drive installed and also tried starting then inserting the USB.  The drive is read (light blinks).  It shows up in the menu of the S590.  It doesn't appear as though the script runs and the tray never opens.  I can navigate to the USB drive with the remote and see the "Autoscript" folder.
  • Of course opening the tray, inserting the disk, and then running the SACD.cmd file does nothing.  

Any thoughts on why the autoscript file is not running on the S590?

There are instructions about using putty, and telnet.  I didn't have to do this with the Pioneer and after looking at the instructions by ted_b on page 2 of this thread, I"m not clear on what that should be doing or if it's actually necessary.  the Pioneer did not require accessing the player using telnet.  It speaks of an Autoscript folder for the USB drive with 2 files instead of 3 and also talks about the player having rolling text ABCDEFGHIJK on the player/tv screen, and I've never seen that happen on either player.  No idea if this has anything to do with my issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 hour ago, TODDCA said:

While I use ISO2DSD and the server method, I did come across a similar situation recently with an S390 I bought.

Unlike 2 other Sony machines I have (an S5100 and a BX510), the S390 I recently acquired did not automatically open the disc tray nor rip an SACD initially.

In looking at the on-screen menus, I saw that there were no video streaming apps loaded at all, and there was a firmware update available. The System Information screen also showed something different from my other 2 Sony machines: Provisioning Server Connection Status: Failed.

So either the previous owner only ever played discs and never actually set the machine up for streaming and network connection, or if they did then the machine had somehow been reset to factory default status before it was sold.

At any rate, I ran the firmware update, after which a connection to the Sony Provisioning Server was made and the streaming apps downloaded automatically, not that I wanted or cared about any of that, but upon inserting the USB thumb drive the disc tray opened and I was able to rip as normal.

So, does your System Information screen by chance say the Sony provisioning server connection failed, or for that matter do you see a firmware update available? 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

So, does your System Information screen by chance say the Sony provisioning server connection failed, or for that matter do you see a firmware update available? 

Well, I started to get excited because I found the same situation with the firmware update and provisioning server status.  However, after running the update the tray still doesn't open.  The provisioning server status connection does show success now.

EDIT:

What does happen now:  upon inserting the usb drive, the light blinks, so he drive is being read and the screen on the player then shows 0 0 0 0 .  I don't recall seeing this before the update but not 100% sure of that.  Either way, the tray still doesn't open and I can't rip the disk.

So still in the same situation.  Thanks for posting though.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:37 PM, TODDCA said:

Looking for a little help getting the Sony BDP S590 running.

I currently rip with a Pioneer BDP-80FD and have no issues.  I bought a S590 as a backup player and just trying to get it set up and working once before putting it away for safe keeping.

Here is how far I've got

• Sony player networks setup with a static IP.  static IP loaded into the SACD.cmd on my Windows 10 machine.
  • USB drive prepared.  Clean FAT format.  
  • Autoscript folder containing 3 files copied over.  
    • AutoScript
    • AuotScript.TSS
    • sacd_extract_160
  • Both AutoScript files modified using telnetd instead of inetd per Dick's writeup on page 111 of this thread.  I have tried it both ways.
  • Started the S590 with the USB drive installed and also tried starting then inserting the USB.  The drive is read (light blinks).  It shows up in the menu of the S590.  It doesn't appear as though the script runs and the tray never opens.  I can navigate to the USB drive with the remote and see the "Autoscript" folder.
  • Of course opening the tray, inserting the disk, and then running the SACD.cmd file does nothing.  

There are instructions about using putty, and telnet.  I didn't have to do this with the Pioneer and after looking at the instructions by ted_b on page 2 of this thread, I"m not clear on what that should be doing or if it's actually necessary.  the Pioneer did not require accessing the player using telnet.  It speaks of an Autoscript folder for the USB drive with 2 files instead of 3 and also talks about the player having rolling text ABCDEFGHIJK on the player/tv screen, and I've never seen that happen on either player.  No idea if this has anything to do with my issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Still looking for any help or advice on this issue.

Thanks.

36 minutes ago, TODDCA said:

Of course opening the tray, inserting the disk, and then running the SACD.cmd file does nothing.  

What kind of error messages are you getting?

The problem with the server method is that when it does not work it can be hard to troubleshoot.

With the telnet method you get feedback along the way to know what is working at any given point.

Even if you do not plan to use the telnet method as your main method, you may want to try it for troubleshooting purposes.

My telnet-based ripping guide is available on Dick Darlington's file of resources.

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

What kind of error messages are you getting?

The problem with the server method is that when it does not work it can be hard to troubleshoot.

With the telnet method you get feedback along the way to know what is working at any given point.

Even if you do not plan to use the telnet method as your main method, you may want to try it for troubleshooting purposes.

My telnet-based ripping guide is available on Dick Darlington's file of resources.

I'm not actually getting any error.  When i start the SACD.cmd file, it opens a cmd window stays there for 10 -20 seconds and then closes.

I'll try the telnet method either tonight or tomorrow and report back.  Thanks, I've never actually used the telnet before.

1 hour ago, TODDCA said:

I'm not actually getting any error.  When i start the SACD.cmd file, it opens a cmd window stays there for 10 -20 seconds and then closes.

I'll try the telnet method either tonight or tomorrow and report back.  Thanks, I've never actually used the telnet before.

My opinion is that the script is the problem. Dick's universal script is excellent, if that's what you're using - but with my Sony BX510 (aka S590), I couldn't get SACD ripping to work no matter what I tried until a replaced the autoscript with a super bare-bones one that does not include any telnetd (or inetd) commands and only uses the server method. YMMV of course, but if I were you I would try a different autoscript. MikeyFresh has posted links to the simpler 160 script a in the past 5 pages or so of this thread.

8 hours ago, TODDCA said:

Thanks for this.  Tried it out tonight.  

The tray opened automatically.  Once I ran SACD.cmd though everything went non-responsive.  The CMD window stayed open, showed the script line, but no download ever started.  At the Sony player, no buttons would work, not play,eject, power.  I had to unplug it to reset things.

I did verify, it was the execution of the SACD.cmd file that caused the player to lock up.  Prior to that, you could still eject the disc etc.. 

Thanks, for the continued assistance.

Sorry it still isn't working - but it seems you are making progress, as the tray has now opened.

I do recall that when I was first struggling to get my Sony unit to work for SACD ripping, I did run into a situation where the SACD ripping would start but nothing would happen - and the Sony player also would freeze up, just as you have described.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can help you fix the problem, because as far as I recall, switching to Mikey's bare-bones script is what cured that problem for me.

I have a couple of ideas, but I'm not at all sure they are the cause of your problem.

One is the mount point/name of the USB stick in the AutoScript.TSS file. The TSS file is the script that triggers the executables that allow you to do the ripping. The first comment in it reads as follows: CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

The script assumes the USB drive will be mounted by the Sony as sda1. If you are unplugging and re-plugging the USB stick multiple times during your troubleshooting, and you are not turning the Sony off and back on again in between attempts, then each subsequent time you insert the USB stick into the Sony, the mount point will change - the Sony will label it sdb1 the 2nd time you insert it, sdc1 the third time, and so on. This will break the script. (There's also a chance that the stick is labeled just sda, without the "1", if you have formatted it incorrectly on a Mac - but I take it you're using a Windows machine, yes?)

However, in that case, I would expect that the tray would not even open - but it might be worth a try to check it out. Once the tray has opened but BEFORE you try to rip an SACD, navigate the Sony's menus to get to the USB stick and see what the Sony is calling it - if it's not sda1, then that is likely your problem.

Second, it is possible that the script is now loading fine, but the Sony machine is still holding on to control of the SACD disc, preventing the ripping app from accessing it. If you have the Sony connected to a monitor, you should be able to fix this by navigating to the menus and toggling the stereo/multichannel setting - do this after you close the tray and the SACD has been loaded, but BEFORE you start ripping. It doesn't matter which one it's set on or which one you change it to - will not impact how the SACD is ripped. It's just a trick to get the Sony to unmount the SACD so the ripping app can grab ahold of it.

The easier method, though, is the "sleep" method. Make sure the Sony is set to "quick start" mode - this will sleep, but not turn off, the machine when you press the power button. They key to the sleep method is that once the tray opens and you put the disc in the tray, you press the Power button, NOT the open/close button. This will close the tray and immediately put the machine to sleep, preventing it from mounting the disc. Because the machine is only asleep, though, it will still be able to be "awakened" by the SACD ripping app.

However, while my memory of my troubleshooting details is a little fuzzy, I seem to recall that when I had this problem - script working but Sony wouldn't "let go" of the disc - I would get a "cannot open for reading" error in the SACD ripping app, rather than just nothing at all happening. Nevertheless, my memory could be wrong, so it's worth investigating this.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you make any progress or any new discoveries about what might be the problem.

Finally, don't give up hope - I had zero problems ripping SACDs with my Oppo BDP-105, and I am pretty computer literate, and yet I still found the Sony quite fiddly and needed help from folks here. The Sony units are a pleasure for SACD ripping once you get it working, but you are not alone in having some difficulty initially.

31 minutes ago, miksi said:

Which is better for the sacd ripping task?

They are work equally well for SACD ripping.  Using the Sonys can be slightly more complicated than the Pioneer because for some methods (like local ripping to USB and regular server method) it requires an additional "work-around" step (but the "sleep"-server method does not require an additional step).   Pioneers are generally much harder to find and more expensive than the Sony models.  If you get a Sony, Get theS590 from among the group you mention, if price is not the issue, as that is the best build-feature quality model among that group.

2 hours ago, miksi said:

Thanks for quick answer,

price is 34/42/50 euros for sony models and 42 euro for pioneer plus shipping cost within Serbia (about 4-5 euros).

Given those prices I'd say the Pioneer, definitely - easier for SACD ripping and the price is a bargain.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:00 AM, tmtomh said:

One is the mount point/name of the USB stick in the AutoScript.TSS file. The TSS file is the script that triggers the executables that allow you to do the ripping. The first comment in it reads as follows: CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

The script assumes the USB drive will be mounted by the Sony as sda1. If you are unplugging and re-plugging the USB stick multiple times during your troubleshooting, and you are not turning the Sony off and back on again in between attempts, then each subsequent time you insert the USB stick into the Sony, the mount point will change - the Sony will label it sdb1 the 2nd time you insert it, sdc1 the third time, and so on. This will break the script. (There's also a chance that the stick is labeled just sda, without the "1", if you have formatted it incorrectly on a Mac - but I take it you're using a Windows machine, yes?)

However, in that case, I would expect that the tray would not even open - but it might be worth a try to check it out. Once the tray has opened but BEFORE you try to rip an SACD, navigate the Sony's menus to get to the USB stick and see what the Sony is calling it - if it's not sda1, then that is likely your problem.

Second, it is possible that the script is now loading fine, but the Sony machine is still holding on to control of the SACD disc, preventing the ripping app from accessing it. If you have the Sony connected to a monitor, you should be able to fix this by navigating to the menus and toggling the stereo/multichannel setting - do this after you close the tray and the SACD has been loaded, but BEFORE you start ripping. It doesn't matter which one it's set on or which one you change it to - will not impact how the SACD is ripped. It's just a trick to get the Sony to unmount the SACD so the ripping app can grab ahold of it.

The easier method, though, is the "sleep" method. Make sure the Sony is set to "quick start" mode - this will sleep, but not turn off, the machine when you press the power button. They key to the sleep method is that once the tray opens and you put the disc in the tray, you press the Power button, NOT the open/close button. This will close the tray and immediately put the machine to sleep, preventing it from mounting the disc. Because the machine is only asleep, though, it will still be able to be "awakened" by the SACD ripping app.

However, while my memory of my troubleshooting details is a little fuzzy, I seem to recall that when I had this problem - script working but Sony wouldn't "let go" of the disc - I would get a "cannot open for reading" error in the SACD ripping app, rather than just nothing at all happening. Nevertheless, my memory could be wrong, so it's worth investigating this.

Thanks for the help.

For item ONE I went to the Sony menus, but the only label I could find was "USB (front port)"  or something very similar to that.  I couldn't find anything that looked like sda or sda1.   

Item TWO did clear me up.  Toggling between 2/6 channel, allowed me to rip the disk.  Next time I'll try the sleep method and see if that works. 

Thanks Again!!  I now have a backup to my Pioneer.

27 minutes ago, TODDCA said:

Next time I'll try the sleep method and see if that works. 

It does, and it's easier in that you only just hit the power button.

No monitor or on-screen menu navigation are required and you can literally dispense with the HDMI cable entirely... go headless!

At that point the tables are turned on the Pioneer, the Sonys are just as easy.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Please please please can you help me, I've tried to decifer many threads on this forum and various others, I'm trying to rip my first sacd, I've had these 15 years and they're the only cds I haven't been able to copy. I've read various threads and forums and all seem to have a similar theme but for the life of me I can't manage to rip them. So I have a pioneer bdp160 so my qeustion/request can any kind person please give a more detailed step by step guide to ripping a sacd. I think I have all the relevant files needed but don't seem to get the instruction. Call me stupid but I'm missing or getting something wrong somewhere. I've tried to follow various guides to no avail...... HELP HELP HELP