IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

Mikey, thank you for pointing out that I only had to scroll through the first 132 pages to find the answer and not the entire 135.  Even if it is only 3 pages back it didn't seem to make much sense to start at the end and go backwards. That said, I did go through a bunch of it and found many conflicting posts about how to go about doing this with various methods, numerous caveats about different machines, various places to find files, as well as posts telling me what had been posted earlier was incorrect and they had another way to do it. At that point I asked for help which was graciously provided. That was greatly appreciated. Getting scolded for asking for that help serves no useful purpose. I also disagree with your assertion that it is not a daunting task. Given that there are now 135 pages of posts with people continuing  to struggle clearly points out that it is not a simple matter. Another HUGE thanks to the people who offered constructive advice.

It's usually considered a good idea to read the first post (especially), the first few pages and the last several pages of a thread BEFORE asking questions.  A non-trivial part of the reason there are 135 pages in this thread is the simple fact that a lot of people find it easier to post what turns out to be a repetitive question than to put the effort into reading/searching before posting.

20 minutes ago, greynolds said:

a lot of people find it easier to post what turns out to be a repetitive question than to put the effort into reading/searching before posting.

Exactly, and the search function works pretty well in whittling down 135 pages to maybe 5 or 10 relevant ones.

I just tried it, searching this thread topic for "Sony BX510" takes you exactly where you need to be in this particular case.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Grey, point taken. However, my initial post was not  my first effort at cracking this nut. I did read many pages from the beginning and others throughout and searched the thread for my player. I spent quite a bit of time over several days  trying to put together a plan to get it done. I downloaded numerous recommended files, formatted and tried several USB sticks,  and tried connecting to all of the 4 players I have that will read an SACD. After failing repeatedly I finally reached out for help. I would not categorize my efforts as "lazy" as I was accused. Rather than clutter up this thread with any more discussions like this I think it best to let it go. It would be a wonderful service to the community if someone could condense this into a guide for the intended purpose. I would be happy to contribute, but I only have a very superficial understanding so not a good candidate. 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

I only had to scroll through the first 132 pages to find the answer and not the entire 135.

No, you just had to search this thread topic for "Sony BX510".

Getting scolded for asking for that help serves no useful purpose

You weren't scolded, I merely pointed out for the benefit of others reading the thread now or in the future, that they should not be discouraged by remarks indicating an impossible daunting task requiring too much time and effort. It's just not that.

135 pages of posts with people continuing  to struggle

No it's 135 pages of people successfully ripping SACDs using a variety of Blu-ray player models and different methods/techniques to suit them. Usually they get sorted out in very short order.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

As as aside, could anyone point (with a link) to a thread here on CA for opinions/recommendations on DACs that do well with DSD files?

(I thought this thread would have people who are interested in that.) Thanks.

(I don't want to derail this thread; I just thought a link or two would be helpful.)

1 hour ago, bellhead said:

As as aside, could anyone point (with a link) to a thread here on CA for opinions/recommendations on DACs that do well with DSD files?

(I thought this thread would have people who are interested in that.) Thanks.

(I don't want to derail this thread; I just thought a link or two would be helpful.)

Some information in the below thread for your reference:

Mikey, calling someone disrespectful and lazy is indeed scolding. My apologies to the rest of the community for engaging with Mikey. I clicked on the list of threads he has participated in and see many are of a accusatory and/or contentious nature where he gets into arguments with others. Had I known that I would never had replied. Unfortunately the internet forums are littered with those who like to get into pissing contests.         Good day to those who enjoy engaging in such... I am done

Again, thanks for the help I received from others. I am glad I was able to resolve my problem with the help of those who were gracious enough to offer advice and stayed away from going negative, best to all of you

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

I clicked on the list of threads he has participated in and see many are of a accusatory and/or contentious nature where he gets into arguments with others

False, excepting MQA which is a contentious topic for which I make absolutely no apologies.

Mikey, calling someone disrespectful and lazy is indeed scolding.

Ok, then you were scolded, my apologies, as my clearly stated intent was to let other new members or lurkers know that this thread contains the information they need, and it isn't that hard to find. Not only does the search feature work well in that regard, but the bookmark feature does too. This absolutely concludes my participation with bbosler, contrary to his accusation, I don't wish to argue on the internet.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Hi there everyone

I wondered if anyone knows of a service in the UK that would rip a few SACDs to ISO?

I just ordered a 3xSACD set from Esoteric in Japan that I’d love to get ripped but the kind fellow who has helped me in the past is having technical issues with his player.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Ben

1 hour ago, alandbush said:

Is this post useful?

Great post, I'd add the following bits as potentially useful and accurate to the best of my knowledge:

S390 was sold in some markets as the BX39

S590 was sold in some markets as the BX59

S5100 was sold in some markets as the BX510

*Pioneer LX58/88 was reported to have the correct MediaTek chip, however no ripping successes were actually noted if memory serves. Possibly moot unless one lives in Japan, as I don't think those models were widely sold elsewhere.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

15 hours ago, beniciolong said:

Hi there everyone

I wondered if anyone knows of a service in the UK that would rip a few SACDs to ISO?

I just ordered a 3xSACD set from Esoteric in Japan that I’d love to get ripped but the kind fellow who has helped me in the past is having technical issues with his player.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Ben

I have PM'd you. I might be able to help if you live anywhere near Southampton.

You guys in the U.K are lucky.  Here in the U.S. offering to do such a thing may bring the gendarmes down on you.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, David_B said:

So, I  drag all the unzipped files to my root drive? Or just the ISO2DSD app file?

Sorry for the late reply.  Without thinking about it, simply copy the complete contents to the root of your memory stick.  The extra files and folders/directories won't hurt anything.

3 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

You guys in the U.K are lucky.  Here in the U.S. offering to do such a thing may bring the gendarmes down on you.

I must confess that I rather naively gave no thought to the legal aspects of offering to rip 3 SACDs as a favour to another contributor to this forum. My assumption is that almost everyone here is ripping their own discs for playback convenience, but retaining them as proof of ownership and for backup (as I do). I've no idea what UK law says on this subject, but no one is losing out in this scenario, so I think it very unlikely that anyone is going to sue me. This is totally different from copying a disc to pass on to another person who has not bought that recording. That is simply stealing - and I have pretty strong views about those who steal from musicians and their record companies. 

However, I accept that the situation is not quite so clear if I assist someone else to rip their own discs. For example, I would have to be totally certain that they had no intention of ever selling the original discs after ripping. Perhaps it would be wiser if I suppressed my natural instincts to be helpful ....         

25 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I must confess that I rather naively gave no thought to the legal aspects of offering to rip 3 SACDs as a favour to another contributor to this forum. My assumption is that almost everyone here is ripping their own discs for playback convenience, but retaining them as proof of ownership and for backup (as I do). I've no idea what UK law says on this subject, but no one is losing out in this scenario, so I think it very unlikely that anyone is going to sue me. This is totally different from copying a disc to pass on to another person who has not bought that recording. That is simply stealing - and I have pretty strong views about those who steal from musicians and their record companies. 

However, I accept that the situation is not quite so clear if I assist someone else to rip their own discs. For example, I would have to be totally certain that they had no intention of ever selling the original discs after ripping. Perhaps it would be wiser if I suppressed my natural instincts to be helpful ....         

No intention whatsoever of ever selling the discs on my behalf. I have a collection of around 70 SACDs that I’ve had ripped for me by several friends over the years and still have them all lined up in pride position on my shelves.

I’m not sure of the legal ramifications but do love to have digital backups of my own collection, I’m sure most people are the same?

1 hour ago, haggis999 said:

I did not mean to cause anyone to stop being helpful but simply wanted to raise awareness.  A friend of mine got in some hot water for being helpful too but he inadvertently became the target of a sort of sting operation.  He was ultimately not charged but it did take a few years off his life in worry.

My apologies for raising the probably unwarranted concern.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 7/19/2018 at 6:33 AM, MikeyFresh said:

Great post, I'd add the following bits as potentially useful and accurate to the best of my knowledge:

S390 was sold in some markets as the BX39

S590 was sold in some markets as the BX59

S5100 was sold in some markets as the BX510

*Pioneer LX58/88 was reported to have the correct MediaTek chip, however no ripping successes were actually noted if memory serves. Possibly moot unless one lives in Japan, as I don't think those models were widely sold elsewhere.

This is a good start but obviously not a complete list of verified players that are capable of using the method described in this thread to rip SACDs. I know there is a partial list early in the thread that I was unable to find. I'll look again and maybe create a list of said players. 

Hello all

I've just acquired a Sony BDP S-4100 for ripping SACDs. I've spent many hours reading this thread and can't find a solution to help me with my issue.

I'm using the server method and it's another case of the following message on ISO2DSD;

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.28:2002 for reading

However I've pinged from Terminal to the player's IP address and came back with good results (0% packet loss). Also tried removing everything from the USB and reformatting as I see that worked for someone and still to no avail. I can see that my USB is the correct format as it is readable on the Sony's menu and it also opens up the disc tray on start up so something must be working! I also tried toggling both the music settings on the Sony's menu and nothing. I have the AutoScript folder containing 3 files on the root drive of the USB stick - AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract_160 with file sizes of 206 bytes, 208 bytes and 351KB respectively.

To clarify I'm using Macbook with High Sierra, Sony BDP S-4100 and the server method.

Maybe I have the wrong files, but I've tried with several different iterations of the AutoScript folder containing the _160 version and all to no avail! I read in DD's guide that I would need both an AutoScript folder and an AutoScriptSACD folder both but when trialling this the disc tray didn't even open anymore.

Hoping one of you kind people could suggest a possible solution! Are there any of the successful BDP S-4100 or S-5100 who could link me to the AutoScript folder that worked for them?

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks to all contributors for your stellar work in making PS3-free SACD ripping a reality!

Benicio