IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

5 minutes ago, Cera said:

I ripped my SACDs with another Sony BluRay model, that is BDP-S4100.

Many thanks for confirming this model.  Congratulations on your ripping success!

Yes subtle difference between some of these Sony models. S490 and S590 differ only in no WiFi.  S490 was never sold in the US.  The S390 does have WiFi but, different from the S590, no 3D Blu-Ray support.  But they all can rip SACD.

I'm am so almost there with this. Problem I think I've run into is the IP address part. I opened up the Sonore to put the IP address in, which I got off the OPPO (103) as being 192.168.1.75 I put that in the fields, but then, there was a number already of 2002 on the far right, after a colon :  I had accidentally erased it first, but then put it back in. Anyway, I've done something wrong since it won't execute. Suggestions please!

2 hours ago, David_B said:

I'm am so almost there with this. Problem I think I've run into is the IP address part. I opened up the Sonore to put the IP address in, which I got off the OPPO (103) as being 192.168.1.75 I put that in the fields, but then, there was a number already of 2002 on the far right, after a colon :  I had accidentally erased it first, but then put it back in. Anyway, I've done something wrong since it won't execute. Suggestions please!

Your address/port setting on ISO2DSD should be 192.168.1.75 : 2002

There can also be problems if the Oppo's address is set automatically by your router via DHCP. Under some circumstances, that address can change, which means that ISO2DSD would then be looking for the wrong address. It is usually best to adjust your router settings so that the Oppo has a fixed IP address.

If the Oppo's network setting still shows that IP address, then that is not the cause of your current problem.

Are you using my Oppo-related instructions, as linked on page 1 of this thread? Those instructions work for me, but the devil is in the detail. Get the smallest thing wrong and it will probably fail. I suggest that you double check each step of your process. 

28 minutes ago, David_B said:

Thank you. Yes, it is 192.168.1.75 : 2002 and as far as i can tell is doesn't change. I just don't get it. I do everything in the instructions it says to do, and when I click on execute, nothing happens.

sonore sacd crap.jpg

Are you able to ping the Oppo at that IP address? Are you able to open a Telnet session to it?  What are the contents of the AutoScript file you are using? Do you see the ABCDEFGH scroll on the oppo’s character display? 

6 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

Are you able to ping the Oppo at that IP address? Are you able to open a Telnet session to it?  What are the contents of the AutoScript file you are using? Do you see the ABCDEFGH scroll on the oppo’s character display? 

In my experience the Oppos don't display ABCDEFGH, and you don't need to be able to open a telnet session for it to work. I am unable to telnet into my Oppo or ping it (though I can of course see it on the network) - but SACD ripping still works fine using the server method.

4 hours ago, tmtomh said:

In my experience the Oppos don't display ABCDEFGH, and you don't need to be able to open a telnet session for it to work. I am unable to telnet into my Oppo or ping it (though I can of course see it on the network) - but SACD ripping still works fine using the server method.

I never use telnet, but you should normally have no problem pinging your Oppo to confirm that the network connection is working. It always works for me if I'm using the correct IP address.

8 hours ago, tmtomh said:

In my experience the Oppos don't display ABCDEFGH

Mine does. It’s a 103 model. Of course it would not if I didn’t have the scrolling display line in my AutoScript as a confirmation that the script launched successfully. 

8 hours ago, tmtomh said:

you don't need to be able to open a telnet session for it to work.

True, but as it’s been mentioned before, having the telnet session capability is an excellent troubleshooting resource; especially for someone new to the process and attempting to work through the myriad missteps that can break the chain and prevent things from working. 

For this reason, even though I always rip rip by the server method I still keep the telnet daemon running via my AutoScript just in case I want to open a session and look at or do something.

3 hours ago, haggis999 said:

It always works for me if I'm using the correct IP address.

Yes it’s great when it works in a turnkey fashion, but clearly there is something (probably a trivial something) that is preventing it from working at this point for @David B..  This is why I broke open a small piñata of general questions (some of which may not be applicable if he is not using a telnet enabled AutoScript) as a precursor to a more refined set of questions and suggestions in order to help troubleshoot. 

Based on the information we have so far we don’t even know if he is able to even ping the oppo from his computer. Nor do we know if the AutoScript is even being launched by the player. Assuming the former are affirmative, is sacd_extract running and listening on 2002? We certainly don’t know that at this point, although I am suspecting it is not. If not why not? An error in the script? The USB drive mounting under a device other than sda1 that the heretofore AutoScript cannot find? Etc. etc..

Okay. When you guys rip your SACD discs, are you ending up with individual tracks that make up albums that can be easily added to Roon with appropriate metadata? What kind of files do you end with?

If I wanted quality SACD playback and be able to rip SACD discs, is there a consensus “must” buy player?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Okay. When you guys rip your SACD discs, are you ending up with individual tracks that make up albums that can be easily added to Roon with appropriate metadata? What kind of files do you end with?

If I wanted quality SACD playback and be able to rip SACD discs, is there a consensus “must” buy player?

Thanks!

Ripping to DSF files is the best option, as this file format allows the storage of metadata.

If you have chosen to rip your SACDs, then the disc player used for the ripping process does not have to be involved in the playback process. I use an old Oppo player for ripping, but play the ripped DSF files via a higher quality Naim streamer.

1 hour ago, diecaster said:

Thanks!

As I've posted many times, as have others, it is not advisable to use precious spinning life to rip to anything but ISOs.  Save the players for ISO rip only, and use a computer to then extract to DSF (via things like ISO2DSF).  Also, ripping to ISOs means you never have to rip again, cuz ISOs contain both 2 channel and (if available) multichannel content, and are perfect for archiving.

14 minutes ago, ted_b said:

As I've posted many times, as have others, it is not advisable to use precious spinning life to rip to anything but ISOs.  Save the players for ISO rip only, and use a computer to then extract to DSF (via things like ISO2DSF).  Also, ripping to ISOs means you never have to rip again, cuz ISOs contain both 2 channel and (if available) multichannel content, and are perfect for archiving.

I agree, though while ISOs are almost perfect,  you cannot save all your manual tagging efforts to those files.  I save my ISOs, but I think it is much more important to backup the tagged DSFs.

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

Hi Ted,
I don't follow every debate in this thread and thus missed all previous recommendations to rip to an ISO file rather than my current habit of ripping direct to DSFs. Your post prompted me to test your alternative method. I have just completed ripping the same SACD three times and these were the results:

Extract stereo DSFs - 7mins

Extract multi-channel DSFs - 15 mins

Total time - 22 mins

Extract ISO - 18 mins

(It then took another 15 mins to extract all the DSFs from the ISO)

The saving in this example was a relatively modest 4 mins. People can make up their own minds if an 18% saving in wear and tear on their SACD player is worth having, despite a noticeable increase in the overall ripping time. The size of your collection and the usefulness of the ISOs are likely to affect your choice of process.

In my own case, I don't have a large collection of SACDs and only buy new SACDs at a rate of no more than one per month, so I'm not too worried about wearing out my Oppo. I also have no need for ISO files, as I generate multiple backup copies of my DSFs, complete with all their metadata (I also still have all the original SACDs).

Hi,

I will buy a new oppo player (or maybe other brand) for rip my SACDs.

Therefore, I did one list, with all the player that can rip DSD, but some information, like Firmware is missing.

Please, could someone complete this information or other that is missing in this list?

Thanks in advance.

This list has brand, model and firmware.

1. Oppo 103: firmware BDP10X-77-0827 (Hong Kong) / BDP10X-80-1031 / BDP10X-83-0715
  2. OPPO 105: beta firmware BDP10X-83-0715B / beta firmware BDP10X-83-1226B / BDP10X-80-1031 / BDP10XEU-38-1220 (factory firmware) / BDP10X-83-0715 
  3. Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu; firmware 752BD-21-1031
  4. Pioneer bdp-lx58/88
  5. Pioneer BDP-160: firmware 101 / 102
  6. Pioneer 170: firmware V01.02
  7. Pioneer BDP-80FD: Firmware version 1.01
  8. Sony BDP-S4100
  9. Sony BDP-S5100: firmware M15.R.0197
  10. Sony BDP-S590: firmware M12.R.0430 / M12.R.0510
  11. Sony BDP-S490: firmware M12.R.0510
  12. Sony BDP-S390: firmware M11.R.0422
  13. Azur 752BD
  14. Arcam CDS27: firmware 0.83
  15. Arcam UDP411
  16. Cambridge Audio CXU: firmware CXU-07-1031  (download from https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/207128045-CXU-Firmware-Information)

That's a good list for starters. However you've got a duplicate in Cambridge Audio units. #3 and #13 are the same. The full model name is Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD. The "CXU" is a completely different unit and is a duplicate of #16. It would help to group them by manufacturer. 

The firmware version doesn't matter in the Oppo players as the SACD ripping functionality still works with the latest firmware version, which would be the same version number for the BDP-103 and BDP-105, as well as the Darbee variants which append a "D" to the model name.  There's definitely no reason to list different firmware versions for them.

For the Sony models, firmware is largely irrelevant for SACD ripping too.

There was one report of a problem with very early firmware on one model.

But all the most recent firmwares for all the models seem to work.

So no one will ever be locked out by getting a firmware they cannot upgrade.

(Unlike the PS3 which requires both a specific model and a specific early firmware, and PS3 firmware cannot be downgraded without hardware modification.)

Thank you very much, chichaz, Wax, greynolds and Phthalocyanine.

This is the new list with all information that you gave me:

1. Oppo 103 / 103D: firmware BDP10X-77-0827 (Hong Kong) / BDP10X-80-1031 / BDP10X-83-0715. ALL FIRMWARE WORKS (STILL WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE VERSION)
2. OPPO 105 / 105D: beta firmware BDP10X-83-0715B / beta firmware BDP10X-83-1226B / BDP10X-80-1031 / BDP10XEU-38-1220 (factory firmware) / BDP10X-83-0715. ALL FIRMWARE WORKS (STILL WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE VERSION).
3. Cambridge Audio Azur 752bd; firmware 752BD-21-1031
4. Cambridge Audio CXU: firmware CXU-07-1031 (download from https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/207128045-CXU-Firmware-Information
5. Pioneer BDP -lx58/88
6. Pioneer BDP-160: firmware 101/102
7. Pioneer 170: firmware V01.02
8. Pioneer BDP-80FD: Firmware version 1.01
9. Sony BDP-S4100: firmware M15.R.0197. All the most recent firmwares for all the models seem to work
10. Sony BDP-S5100: firmware M15.R.0197. All the most recent firmwares for all the models seem to work
11. Sony BDP-S590: firmware M12.R.0430 / M12.R.0510. All the most recent firmwares for all the models seem to work
12. Sony BDP-S490: firmware M12.R.0510. All the most recent firmwares for all the models seem to work
13. Sony BDP-S390: firmware M11.R.0422. All the most recent firmwares for all the models seem to work
14. Arcam CDS27: firmware 0.83
15. Arcam UDP411

3 hours ago, chichaz said:

That's a good list for starters. However you've got a duplicate in Cambridge Audio units. #3 and #13 are the same. The full model name is Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD. The "CXU" is a completely different unit and is a duplicate of #16. It would help to group them by manufacturer. 

? Yes, the idea is to do one complete list for me and the other starters