IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

27 minutes ago, wl_lam said:

insmod: can't insert '/tmp/fileOGL2cs': Device or resource busy

[0]: install_modules: mknod/insmod filed

rmmod: can't unload 'sacd_read': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

[0]: Can not install modules

/mnt/sde1/AutoScriptSACD #

sacd_extract_160 is already running in the server mode so you cannot run another sacd_extract_160 for ripping.  If you want to do local ripping you need to comment out the line with CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &) in your AutoScript (and possibly AutoScript.TSS).

2 hours ago, wl_lam said:

insmod: can't insert '/tmp/fileOGL2cs': Device or resource busy

Did you do the work-around toggle of the music settings before you executed the line, ./sacd_extract_160 -I ?

Follow  mindset's advice  t comment out the line with CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &) in your AutoScript (and possibly AutoScript.TSS) and also follow Phthalocyanine's  steps inhis SACD Backup guide. I still encounter the following error.

Still confuse what is local mode and Server mode?

sony-player login: root
~ # cd /mnt/
/mnt # ls
3rd_data         nand_03_0        rootfs_enc_it    sdi1
custom_app_data  nand_14_0        rootfs_it        ubi_boot
log_data         rootfs_enc       rootfs_normal
/mnt # cd /mnt/sdi1/AutoScriptSACD/
/mnt/sdi1/AutoScriptSACD # ./sacd_extract_160 -I
insmod: can't insert '/tmp/fileA6WCMq': Device or resource busy

/mnt/sdi1/AutoScriptSACD #

Just now, Dick Darlington said:

@wl_lam ??

Could be a flaw in the annotated AutoScript wrt the Sony players in that as written it will execute sacd_extract_160 *before* you can do the workaround. Try commenting out ALL lines executing sacd_extract_160 and enter the command manually *after* you do the workaround (or put in sleep mode). 

Ill have to go back and look at the script but it wasn’t my intention to have it launch sacd_extract_160 in local mode. 

Btw, I notice you’re up to ‘i’, ie “/mnt/sdi” which suggests you’ve made several attempts without rebooting. IOW possibly  sacd_extract_160 was left running from a previous attempt? You can do a ‘ps’ command to check and a ‘kill’ if necessary. 

2 minutes ago, mindset said:

sacd_extract_160 -i 127.0.0.1:2002 -I

This way, one can do local/remote ripping without changing anything on the player side.  I tried this on my S390, and confirmed working.

@mindset

This sounds great but what location is it ripped to locally using this method?  Is it ripped to a USB stick or local storage in the player? Please explain further.

1 minute ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@mindset

This sounds great but what location is it ripped to locally using this method?  Is it ripped to a USB stick or local storage in the player? Please explain further.

The output will be saved under the directory sace_extract_160 executed at.  In other words, it is no different than the conventional local ripping method.

7 minutes ago, mindset said:

A little off from @wl_lam's current direction, but for flexibility I feel it is better to always run sacd_extract_160 in the server mode, which can actually be used for local ripping as well by pointing to 127.0.0.1 (=local host) as the server address like this:

sacd_extract_160 -i 127.0.0.1:2002 -I

This way, one can do local/remote ripping without changing anything on the player side.  I tried this on my S390, and confirmed working.

Cool trick. Worth looking into if I’m pickin’ up what you’re layin’ down!

5 hours ago, wl_lam said:

Still confused what is local mode and Server mode?

Local mode is when you run sacd_extract_160 from the USB drive and the program rips to that drive.

Server mode is when sacd_extract_160 opens up a network connection to a computer and you run another program on the computer (iso2DSD for example) to commence the ripping and rip to a directory on the computer.

As Mindset said, to start sacd_extract_160 in server mode you use the following command in the script: CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)

To do local mode and local ripping you do not need to start sacd_extract_160 in server mode.

For local ripping, all you need is to get root access and start telnet to Sony.  Then change directory to the directory on the USB drive that has sacd_extract_160 in it.  Then do the workaround toggle in Music settings.  (This is what I think is missing based on those error messages.)  Then start ripping by entering the command: ./sacd_extract_160 -I.

Mindset has a good point about not needing to have serve mode going, but in my experience that should not matter.  I'm pretty sure I was using a script that started server mode and I could still do local ripping through the steps outlined in my guide.

2 hours ago, mindset said:

The output will be saved under the directory sace_extract_160 executed at.

If you used it as part of a script on a USB drive I suppose you could set it to automatically rip to the drive without having to use telnet.

You would have to insert the SACD first, then do the music setting toggle, then insert the USB drive with the script.

(I think someone had proposed something like this a while back.)

This method would not be very convenient if you were doing more than one SACD at a time (and there are problems associated with re-inserting a USB drive without rebooting, as we know.)

@mindset

Is there no tricky way to trick sacd_extract to rip the .iso to a directory other than the one sacd_extract is in?

The idea is to have sacd_extract in permanent memory in the player and then rip to an attached USB drive.

4 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

If you used it as part of a script on a USB drive I suppose you could set it to automatically rip to the drive without having to use telnet.

You would have to insert the SACD first, then do the music setting toggle, then insert the USB drive with the script.

This method would not be very convenient if you were doing more than one SACD at a time (and there are problems associated with re-inserting a USB drive without rebooting, as we know.)

I might not be understanding your concern correctly, but the following steps should just work for sequential ripping. 

1. Insert a USB stick & let it strat sacd_extract_160 in the server mode

2. Insert a disc & do your trick

3. run sacd_extract_160 -i 127.0.0.1 -I

4. Remove the disc 

5. Go to 2. 

OR 

1. Insert a USB stick & let it strat sacd_extract_160 in the server mode (if not already running)

2. Insert a disc & do your trick

3. run sacd_extract_160 -i 127.0.0.1 -I

4. Remove the disc 

5. Remove the USB stick

6. Go to 1.

17 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@mindset

Is there no tricky way to trick sacd_extract to rip the .iso to a directory other than the one sacd_extract is in?

The idea is to have sacd_extract in permanent memory in the player and then rip to an attached USB drive.

Just cd to the directory you want save the result at and and run sacd_extract_160 from there by specifying it with its absolute path (like /sacd_extract_160 or /3rd/sacd_extract_160 depending on where it is).

27 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Oh now I see.  Maybe you are saying that for each USB insertion, one automatic ripping.  The possibility of this is no different for the method I mentioned compared with the conventional local ripping method.

16 minutes ago, mindset said:

Just cd to the directory you want save the result at and and run sacd_extract_160 from there by specifying it with its absolute path (like /sacd_extract_160 or /3rd/sacd_extract_160 depending on where it is).

Sorry to be so obtuse but let me ask if this would work.

Suppose sacd_extract_160 is in permanent memory on the player in mnt/3rd_data and I want to run it to rip an iso to an attached USB drive mounted at mnt/sda1

so

1.  cd /mnt/sda1

2. mnt/3rd_data/sacd_extract_160  -I.

?

24 minutes ago, mindset said:

Oh now I see.  Maybe you are saying that for each USB insertion, one automatic ripping.  The possibility of this is no different for the method I mentioned compared with the conventional local ripping method.

With conventional local ripping with telnet you enter the rip command each time you put in a new SACD but you do not have to re-insert the USB drive that receives the .iso.  You leave it in and rip many discs one after another.

For automatic ripping to USB without telnet it seems you would have to remove and re-insert the USB for each new SACD.  (And if the USB drive assignment changes, then the script on the USB drive will no longer work, unless one uses one of your tricky scripts.)

Thank you very  much for  all your help. It works now.  I  just rip two SACD ISO images.   I use the original script that I downloaded from CA and follow the SACD Backup procedure. But I will list  /mnt/ to find out USB /mnt/sd*1/. Then I change to that sd*1.

3 minutes ago, wl_lam said:

But I will list  /mnt/ to find out USB /mnt/sd*1/. Then I change to that sd*1.

That's a very safe technique so that you always know what the USB drive is mounted as.

But if you turn off "quick start mode" in settings and you turn off your player and turn it back on you can always get the USB drive to mount as sda1.  For example, I routinely enter the rip command assuming that the USB is mounted as sda1 and I am never disappointed.

And congratulations for getting it to work!  Happy SACD ripping!

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

For automatic ripping to USB without telnet it seems you would have to remove and re-insert the USB for each new SACD.  (And if the USB drive assignment changes, then the script on the USB drive will no longer work, unless one uses one of your tricky scripts.)

Automatic ripping is possible.  I just tried it and it works (insert a USB stick & ripping automatically starts) with some script changes with a caveat that there is no easy way to assign a unique .iso file name for sequential ripping because of the special character issue.  I thought I would use a time stamp as a .iso filename but the player is missing the essential command (=date) for that because it is carrying a very light version of Linux.  There is still a way, but it's not worth my effort.

In my opinion, when someone has come to the point to do sequential ripping, remote ripping is the way to go.  It is some learning curve for some people who are not familiar with networking/Linux but is worth the learning effort because:

1. It doesn't involve telnet

2. Sleep mode technique works (just a matter of pressing a power button instead of navigating through menus with a  remote control to switch the DSD playback mode)

3. There is no need to physically retrieve the USB stick after ripping

4. There is no filename special character issue

I do this on regular basis for sequential ripping:

1. Start sacd_extract_160 in the server mode in whatever way

2. Insert a disc

3. Press the power button to put the player in sleep

4. Run sacd_extract -i <player_address>:<port> -I on a remote PC

5. Eject the disc

6. Go to 2.

Note: wireless (on the player side) may be slow.  With wired connection, remote ripping is as fast as local ripping.

@mindset

I think that your sleep-server method is the most elegant method of SACD ripping for the Sony players.

For beginners struggling to understand how the ripping process works, with the possibility of concrete troubleshooting each step of the way, there is a value to using telnet and local ripping.  In any event, it is the method I know best and can best help people troubleshoot.

May all the methods flourish and people find the ones that best suit them!

On 4/11/2018 at 11:19 PM, Phthalocyanine said:

The conventional wisdom has been that it is best to rip .iso-s because you are sure to get all the tracks (stereo and multichannel) and because that way you will have less wear and tear on the ripping drive, since you can process the .iso files on the computer later with iso2DSD (which contains the same code for extracting).

But the option is there to rip directly to .dsf files.

Usage: sacd_extract_160 [options] [outfile]
  -2, --2ch-tracks                : Export two channel tracks (default)
  -m, --mch-tracks                : Export multi-channel tracks
  -e, --output-dsdiff-em          : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file
  -p, --output-dsdiff             : output as Philips DSDIFF file
  -s, --output-dsf                : output as Sony DSF file
  -t, --select-track              : only output selected track(s) (ex. -t 1,5,13)
  -I, --output-iso                : output as RAW ISO
  -c, --convert-dst               : convert DST to DSD
  -C, --export-cue                : Export a CUE Sheet
  -i, --input[=FILE]              : set source and determine if "iso" image,
                                    device or server (ex. -i 192.168.1.10:2002)
  -P, --print                     : display disc and track information
  -S, --server-mode               : start in a server mode

I'm using an Oppo BDP-103, SACD_EXTRACT and some simple .bat files I wrote to rip my SACDs (Win 7 Ultimate 64). Also using jRiver MC 24.

I don't have the "-S. --server-mode" command when I run the -? command line switch. Can't tell you what version of SACD_EXTRACT I'm running [that really should be part of the ' -? ' readout] - I'm guessing that may be because you might have been referring to  'SACD_EXTRACT_160' in your above post???

It would be nice if SACD_EXTRACT would dump a .txt file for each SACD ripped with the catalog #'s, area count, speaker config and track info, for reference. Obviously, I can copy and past it to a txt file myself, but what's the fun in that?

I'm very much a newb after recently discovering this thread and finding that my Oppo, which I was just about to give away, would easily rip my SACD's - bonus points when you discover something you already had can do something you've been wanting to do for years!

Initially I ripped my first SACD to an ISO because I knew it contained both the stereo and multichannel versions, and because jRiver could read the ISOs and track info. The file was fairly large, and I decided to do some rips to multichannel only individual files to save some space, and was surprised to find that this had the opposite effect- the sum of the individual files for each disc were roughly twice the size of the ISOs. Interesting. So now I'm back to ISOs. Hopefully jRiver is configurable so that if I connect another instance of jRiver to it on the LAN, it will be able to stream the multichannel or stereo version based on the remote jRiver instance system's audio capabilities.

Any advice, thoughts, etc about integrating SACD ISOs into the jRiver infrastructure will be appreciated- I have watched and read Ted's youtubes and paper about using SACDs with jRiver. Currently I'm passing the bitstreamed output of jRMC v24 via HDMI to my Denon AVR-X7200WA receiver, but thinking seriously about a DSD-capable D/A converter.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread.

3 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

I don't have the "-S. --server-mode" command when I run the -? command line switch. Can't tell you what version of SACD_EXTRACT I'm running [that really should be part of the ' -? ' readout] - I'm guessing that may be because you might have been referring to  'SACD_EXTRACT_160' in your above post???

This is somewhat complicated and I might be getting some of the details wrong, but there are two types of programs based on largely the same code: 1. SACD ripper and 2. SACD extract.  SACD_EXTRACT_160 is a version of SACD ripper, and it is designed to run on the device that has the SACD drive (in this case a Pioneer 160 or certain Sony BD players.)  With it you can open a network connection to a computer, which is what server mode (-S) does.  You can also run it "locally" and rip to an attached USB drive.

When you use SACD ripper in Server mode you need another program on the networked computer to receive and process the SACD that is being ripped on the BD player by SACD ripper.  This other program is SACD extract, which is what you are using.  SACD extract does not have a server mode option because it does not need it.  In a sense it is designed only to be used in Server mode since it can only rip by connecting over a network to the SACD ripping software running on the player.  SACD extract can also work off-line to extract DSF files etc.  from an already ripped .iso.

You already have a version of the SACD ripper running in Server mode if you are ripping via a network.

9 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

The file was fairly large, and I decided to do some rips to multichannel only individual files to save some space, and was surprised to find that this had the opposite effect- the sum of the individual files for each disc were roughly twice the size of the ISOs. Interesting. So now I'm back to ISOs. Hopefully jRiver is configurable so that if I connect another instance of jRiver to it on the LAN, it will be able to stream the multichannel or stereo version based on the remote jRiver instance system's audio capabilities.

I believe you ended up with larger files than the original .iso because you dumped the multichannel tracks to dsf or didiff with DST decompression.  Audio data on SACD is normally (especially for those with multi channel tracks) compressed by DST with a nominal compression rate of around 1/3.   If you want to keep the data compressed, dsdiff is the only option as dsf format doesn't allow compressed audio.

9 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Any advice, thoughts, etc about integrating SACD ISOs into the jRiver infrastructure will be appreciated

I believe there is a better forum for this kind of question. 

23 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@mindset

I think that your sleep-server method is the most elegant method of SACD ripping for the Sony players.

+1 on that.

I configured my S5100 for WiFi meaning the only actual cable connection needed is the power cord, the unit can be located anywhere in the house:

Step 1: Power on Sony S5100

Step 2: Connect USB thumb drive dongle/AutoScript runs/tray opens automatically/load SACD

Step 3: Power down Sony S5100/tray closes automatically/player goes to sleep/AutoScript gains root access/control

Step 4: Execute rip in ISO2DSD with one click while Sony S5100 is fast asleep

Big thanks to @mindset and @Phthalocyanine for discovering/refining this approach.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Hello!

I just signed up here today to inform you that I ripped my SACDs with another Sony BluRay model, that is BDP-S4100. Only difference to BDP-S5100 is there is no WLAN (WiFi), so I used simple ethernet cable :) Difference is the same like between two models from previous year, BDP-S490 and BDS-P590.

I bought my BDP-S4100 for 25€ from local ad. 

Ripping procedure was realy straight-forward, it took me 15 minutes to download files from DropBox to USB-stick, start player and open CMD-box on my PC and logon with telnet (not even putty) and start ripping localy. But it took hours to read this thread carefully! :)

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge, it was very interessting!!