IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 1/2/2018 at 10:24 PM, MikeyFresh said:

In Apple's Disk Utility it is called MS-DOS, not FAT32. Do you see MS-DOS?

Edit: I now see in a subsequent post you've found this already.

In the BDP-80fd, I use an old 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer USB 2.0 thumb drive. It was formatted FAT32 (MS-DOS) on a Mac mini.

I have always used the BDP-80fd's rear panel USB input port, if you are using the front panel port, try switching to the rear panel port.

That was a hopeful tip, perked me right up, as I've only been using the front port. But alas, switching sides has not made a difference. Thanks for the suggestion though. The quest continues.

Still can't rip with the Oppo 105, but getting closer. 

Didn't feel confident enough to program a manual IP address into the Netgear wireless router. So I used a trick recommended here. Set Oppo to ethernet and auto. It changed the wireless IP of 10.0.0.6 to 10.0.0.11. Then I switched the auto to manual. In the Oppo menu I selected connect. After a few seconds the Oppo said it was connected to the internet.

Next I tried pinging the Player Using command prompt as recommended. It works! This Is the first time it worked! Getting closer.

Next tried the telenet recommendation. Must be doing it Incorrectly. Entered command prompt. The black screen showed c:\Users\Bobtelenet 10.0.0.11. Hit enter. Black screen said: warning 'telenet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. What did I do wrong?

Other questions.

1. Since ping worked and Oppo says it connected to internet, does that mean I no longer have to worry about internet connection/settings being the problem?

2. Why was a telenet test recommended? Thought telenet isn't used with Oppo 105 when ripping SACD?

Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, David Fell said:

The quest continues.

What about the Java Runtime Environment dependency for ISO2DSD compatibility?

Maybe check that install out and/or dump it and reinstall.

Also, not sure if you are powering on the BDP-80fd with the thumb drive already inserted, but thats what I do every time, and it's worked every time.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

9 hours ago, Barondla said:

Next tried the telenet recommendation. Must be doing it Incorrectly. Entered command prompt. The black screen showed c:\Users\Bobtelenet 10.0.0.11. Hit enter. Black screen said: warning 'telenet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. What did I do wrong?

It is "telnet", not "telenet". And there is no telnet working on the Oppo anyway, so no point in trying that.

Hi David,

I had trouble with USB sticks on a Mac (El Capitan) early last year. I tried several USB sticks and eventually got it working with an 8GB Lexar. I worked out that I was making a mistake in the formatting. Under El Capitan when I went to format the USB stick using Ex FAT32 I was presented with 2 "pathways" in the formatting window. I'm sorry to use non technical language but there were 2 names for the USB stick. I originally tried to format the upper USB stick name. Didn't work. So I tried the lower USB stick name and bingo it worked. I copied the Autoscript folder onto the drive as a folder and not the individual files within the folder. This is crucial; you need that folder.

Now, the next thing you need to be aware of if using an Oppo 103 is that it can take some 20 to 30 seconds for the unit to respond to the Autoscript command. Initially, I was thinking that it wasn't working after waiting a few seconds and then switching the Oppo off then on. Just be patient.

I've just examined the USB stick on my iMac which now runs High Sierra. Under Disk Utilities the formatting options are MS DOS and ExFAT. I'd just try both. One will work.

Just to reiterate: Formatting and file structure are absolutely critical to success. Copy the whole folder to the USB stick and ensure the 3 files are inside it. Be patient if using an Oppo - it needs to think about what it's being asked to do! Nothing will happen until that disk drawer opens but once it does you'll be underway.

Good luck

Stu

So here's a question I have failed to find an answer to:

Shouldn't I see the same MD5 checksum for an SACD ISO I've ripped using my Oppo BDP-105 and sacd_extract? Because I am not.

I can rip the exact same SACD three times in a row and run md5 on each ISO, and I will get a difference MD5 checksum every time.

Does sacd_extract put some sort of date/time stamp in the ISO itself? Are these ISOs bit perfect? What's going on?

Thanks.

As far as I know, displayed (in file manager) file size may depend on file system (cluster size).

5 hours ago, dharmabumstead said:

Shouldn't I see the same MD5 checksum for an SACD ISO I've ripped using my Oppo BDP-105 and sacd_extract? Because I am not.

Error detection is matter of optical drive and ripper firmware/software. Probably, error is not displayed.

Ripper to error detection can re-read disk several times, read error stream (report from optical drive) and perform statistical analyzis. Here all the same to ordinary CD ripping. Read details: https://samplerateconverter.com/educational/best-cd-ripping-software

To different-checksum-case learning, I'd check:

1. method/software of checksum calculation (or different methods/software) and perform binary comparison of files to learn difference kind,

2. several SACDs,

3. different hardware players (and/or firmware versions).

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

3 hours ago, Peter M said:

Not sure how you've come to this conclusion.

My Pioneer BDP-160 rips SACDs just fine.

Thats right, and the folder containing the SACD Extract thumb drive files that I use successfully on a Pioneer BDP-80fd, is labeled BDP-160.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Correct but I never said it was. In fact I specifically noted it as NOT eligible (your quote actually). So typo or not I’m not sure what you want me to change. The 58 and 88?  Are they confirmed as doa?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have a few questions if I may, 107 pages of posts is hard to follow, though I have been through quite a few.

I am using a OPPO 105D with the Modwright mods, tubes and the other changes. Any idea if this works with that ?

Any chance you can hurt the machine doing this ?

I have downloaded a few DSD files to try, but I mostly like to play discs, SACD, DVD-A, etc... in the Modwright OPPo. But I have been enquiring here and others about improving my computer based system. So I do not see replacing the Modwright OPPO soon, but it would be nice to have files for all my media in case I go another way.

Is there a good starting place in all these posts with the most up to date process for the my OPPO 105D and PC with Windows 10.

Also are their services offered to do this for you ?

Thanks,

Wayne

NAD M33, SGC SonicTransporter I5 GEN 3, w/ 2GB SSD drive as the storage and ROON CORE, with SGC CD Ripper,  Fiber Optic converter system, ROON.  Revel Performa 3 F208 Speakers, ROON, Grover Huffman EX speaker cables, and Bass Jumpers,  WD EX2 Red Drive NAS, Netgear Nighthawk Router, all streaming hardwired Cat6/7, no WiFi. Sony Blu-Ray for SACD backup, PS Audio Dectec to a dedicated 20 amp circuit, Custom Speaker covers, PS Audio Power, Signal Power .

Waynefi,

I can't imagine that Modwright would have made any changes to the embedded operating system and firmware. I don't believe they would touch something like that which is highly involved.  So there should be no issues with your modified player.

But then, I'm only an electrical engineer/programmer, conjecturing on this. 

Steve

From what I remember the Modwright mods are just to the output stage (adding tubes) and the power supply so the players functionality isn't impacted at all. You should be able to rip without any problems and it shouldn't damage the player. There are some ripping services out there which used to charge $5 for a stereo disc and $7 for a multi-channel and stereo disc. It's been a while since I looked so prices may have gone up. I got a great deal on a new Pioneer BDP-80 and only use it for ripping. Was cheaper than insured round trip shipping the discs (along with a USB hard drive) somewhere and then paying the ripping fees.

Is anybody else playing the multi-channel files? I have just configured JRiver (on a Mac) for use with an exaSound e38 DAC (according to the instructions on the exaSound Web site) and I have some difficulties with playing 5.1 channel DSFs.

1) Occasionally, I have audio dropouts, even for DSF-sources from the local harddisk (i.e. it's not a network latency problem). Should I fine-tune the JRiver buffering somehow?

2) I am also not sure, if I did the channel-to-speaker mapping correctly in the Audio Midi Setup, on the Mac. Of course, channel 1 is the left front speaker and channel 2 is the right front speaker - but what are the correct channel numbers for the center, the rear speakers and the subwoofer?

37 minutes ago, Linefader said:

Is anybody else playing the multi-channel files? I have just configured JRiver (on a Mac) for use with an exaSound e38 DAC (according to the instructions on the exaSound Web site) and I have some difficulties with playing 5.1 channel DSFs.

1) Occasionally, I have audio dropouts, even for DSF-sources from the local harddisk (i.e. it's not a network latency problem). Should I fine-tune the JRiver buffering somehow?

2) I am also not sure, if I did the channel-to-speaker mapping correctly in the Audio Midi Setup, on the Mac. Of course, channel 1 is the left front speaker and channel 2 is the right front speaker - but what are the correct channel numbers for the center, the rear speakers and the subwoofer?

It would be much better to raise such queries on the dedicated JRiver forum at https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/

That forum is very active and has a large number of experienced JRiver users willing to offer assistance.