IGNORED

I regret to buy a microrendu / How can I convince myself ?

I bought a microrendu 2 days ago and I feel I have to get a lot of accessories to make a "simple" system "complicated". The reason to choose microrendu is due to its simply design. Now I have to play with router / NAS / Music Servers / Extensions and worry about degrade of sound quality.

My original plan is Sotm SMS1000Q WE (or any other optimized PC, like CAD, Mojo etc). For more details about an optimized PC : any PC with low power assumption (generate less noise), separated power supply to USB, low noise circuit design, internal power filter and linear power supply ,EMI isolation, low jitter clock etc. Any kind of optimized PC can feed signal to USB DAC with highest bit rate support via STABLE PHYSICAL connection. [PC - USB DAC + linear power supply].

How about Microrendu? I was attracted by the CA reviews and bought it. Now I realize the system is not simple at all and the system may have inferior SQ due to ethernet transport parameters, plus, the routers and photoelectric conversion modules of those systems are not audiophile grade. [Music Server / Router / Microrendu / USB DAC / Several linear power supply / Maybe Ethernet Switch / NAS].

How could I convince myself to invest further in microrendu system because I could not see any advantage now. How about SOUND QUALITY?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The mR is basically designed for people who prefer a network setup with a NAS or 2nd computer functioning as server in what's colloquially known as a "2 PC" setup. Various reasons for doing this: get 2nd computing device out of listening room, better sound with 2 PC approach, etc.

For me this just introduces one extra component, the mR (and it's PS). And it allowed me to get rid of 2 USB "cleaners". So I don't find it complicated. In my setup it also sounds better than direct to DAC, even with USB "improvers" added in. Many others find the same.

But maybe that isn't what you are looking for; certainly not if it doesn't sound better. So take $50-$100 off the price and sell the mR second hand. I'm sure you will find a buyer. No shame in that. Not everyone has the same preferences in setup. We've all bought components and add-ons that didn't work out for us

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The mR is basically designed for people who prefer a network setup with a NAS or 2nd computer functioning as server in what's colloquially known as a "2 PC" setup. Various reasons for doing this: get 2nd computing device out of listening room, better sound with 2 PC approach, etc.

For me this just introduces one extra component, the mR (and it's PS). And it allowed me to get rid of 2 USB "cleaners". So I don't find it complicated. In my setup it also sounds better than direct to DAC, even with USB "improvers" added in. Many others find the same.

But maybe that isn't what you are looking for; certainly not if it doesn't sound better. So take $50-$100 off the price and sell the mR second hand. I'm sure you will find a buyer. No shame in that. Not everyone has the same preferences in setup. We've all bought components and add-ons that didn't work out for us

Yes, what I care about the most is SQ. If USB output from noise PC + several "cleaners" can improve SQ, that is the point. Now your mR system sound better, this is the reason to invest as well.

Many digital signal source didn't have stable and low jitter output and those "regen" product can help and remedy problems. Well, the start point of my plan is a simple system with good SQ. I realize NAS and network streaming are definitely further features. My current music storage don't need several TBs for storage and don't mind change listening rooms.

If the system can have great SQ, I will still go for it.

OP, have you had a chance to listen to the mR yet?

Also, not sure if this is possible with the mR but can you connect it directly to your PC, similarly to how JPlay does a 2 PC setup? If so, that would eliminate unnecessary switches.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

The microRendu requires ethernet streaming... the input is ethernet, the output is USB. As long as your PC is LAN connected you can install Minimserver on it, say yes to the firewall permission prompts when Minimserver starts and then identify your music folders for it to stream. The Lumin or Kinsky clients should work great for remote browse and control of music selection on your phone or tablet, volume control is always hardware dependent.

Unless you have very exotic ($$$$$) gear already, you are in for quite a treat.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I think you can put the microRendu and the PC on the same network both via ethernet and then run a USB cable to your DAC.

With something like the Auralic Aries, you can eliminate the PC by just linking a USB hard drive to the Aries and then go USB or other digital inputs to your DAC. It is simpler if you prefer something like that. I think though you may benefit from a USB fixer like the Regen or W4S Recovery in this case. It is something to consider if you wish to eliminate the PC and have other digital outputs. FWIW I understand the new firmware makes it very competitive to the microRendu.

Where the microRendu wins I think is the HQ Player NAA option which is not available with the Aries. But that involves playing around more with computers which may not be what you want from your opening post.

I think you can put the microRendu and the PC on the same network both via ethernet and then run a USB cable to your DAC.

With something like the Auralic Aries, you can eliminate the PC by just linking a USB hard drive to the Aries and then go USB or other digital inputs to your DAC. It is simpler if you prefer something like that. I think though you may benefit from a USB fixer like the Regen or W4S Recovery in this case. It is something to consider if you wish to eliminate the PC and have other digital outputs. FWIW I understand the new firmware makes it very competitive to the microRendu.

Where the microRendu wins I think is the HQ Player NAA option which is not available with the Aries. But that involves playing around more with computers which may not be what you want from your opening post.

I heard the Naa feature is coming on the Auralic Aries

I heard the Naa feature is coming on the Auralic Aries

I've heard that too for a long time. I wouldn't believe it until it actually happens.

I've asked both Auralic and Jussi about it via email. Auralic says it is coming. Jussi didn't even bother to send a reply to my email.

I've heard that too for a long time. I wouldn't believe it until it actually happens.

I've asked both Auralic and Jussi about it via email. Auralic says it is coming. Jussi didn't even bother to send a reply to my email.

I believe it's coming in 4.0 firmware update which is in beta .

Anyone in Auralic beta program that can confirm this ?

I don't see why this should be so complicated unless of course you don't already own a PC/NAS, router and USB DAC.

I see it as a hot-rodded version of SB Touch. i.e.: USB input only, no wi-fi, no remote, no screen.

My question is:

In theory for what reasons should a microRendu sound better than a SB Touch? And does it in practice?

I really prefer streamers that have multiple outputs with AES and you can attach an external hard drive without the use of a computer .

I'm sure the mrendu is very nice but you have to use a computer or nas

The Yggy I have without question in my system sounds best with AES so I use an Auralic Aries .

I don't see why this should be so complicated unless of course you don't already own a PC/NAS, router and USB DAC.

I see it as a hot-rodded version of SB Touch. i.e.: USB input only, no wi-fi, no remote, no screen.

My question is:

In theory for what reasons should a microRendu sound better than a SB Touch? And does it in practice?

And the Aries is pretty much like the SB Touch without the touchscreen and running LDS instead of LMS. The Aries sounds way better than the SB Touch which I used to have, as I am sure the microRendu does too.

Convince yourself? Usually you would have had to do that prior to purchasing.

So until you actually listen to it, there's no reason at all for regretting the purchase IMO unless your real reason is to spread FUD around the product.

In case you don't like it, you could always re-sell it to another member, fairly sure others would like to get it at a discount if possible.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

My MBP connect to internet via WiFi and my MBP don't have ethernet output/input. As far as I know, I should get either a NAS or Mini PC/Basic Music Server which is connected to internet and able to feed mR via ethernet cable. Is this correct?

Then I can accept the plan.

My MBP connect to internet via WiFi and my MBP don't have ethernet output/input. As far as I know, I should get either a NAS or Mini PC/Basic Music Server which is connected to internet and able to feed mR via ethernet cable. Is this correct?

Unless you are stealing someone else's Wifi, you have a router with Ethernet ports providing your Internet service and Wifi access....

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I suggest you get one of these. Always useful.

Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple (CA)

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

in terms of stability, extra cable and another router will be the best choice. If I use my MBP to transfer data to mR, the noise PC will degrade SQ. commercial router is not good enough but it can perform better than my noisy PC.

I may need an audiophile grade router (low noisy motherboard and circuit design and stable photoelectric conversion)