IGNORED

Help! I need advice buying a headphone.

So, I listen to music, and produce, like amateur producing. Anyways, I was looking at the Audio Technica ATH M20x and how it or you guys? Is it good? what should I look for when buying a headphone?

Thanks!

At least 100 things, too much to type up here. The best thing to do is start your research somewhere, using google etc. For studio use, the KRK 8400 or Edifier H850 would be a good starting point. Home use is much more complicated, since tastes come in. Check Innerfidelity. Google reveals all...

So, I listen to music, and produce, like amateur producing. Anyways, I was looking at the Audio Technica ATH M20x and how it or you guys? Is it good? what should I look for when buying a headphone?

Thanks!

That Audio Technica is a champ at the price. I don't think you can do better than that for the money.

This will sound grumpy, but I am dead serious. Find a set that fits you *first*. Too small and it's miserable. Too large and it is miserable. Too heavy, too hot, too uncomfortable in any way, don't even consider 'em.

*Then* pick the ones that sound best out of whatever is left after the culls.

And from that group, pick the set you *like* the best.

Price can fool you. $399 Oppo PM-3s are great, closed back headphones. Very comfortable on my head. HiFiman 400is are superb too, but those are open back and might not be suitable for what you want to do. A $69 pair of Koss Pro 4AAA's can sound great and do the job, but are so heavy you might get a neck ache.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Buy a pair of Grado SR 60 or 80e headphones to start with, can't go wrong and they will set the bar higher for your next headphones. Spending more than the $100 for the SR80e requires that you discover what "flavor" you like... someone elses "chocolate" may be your "earwax" for musical taste

Regards,

Dave

Audio system