IGNORED

Before I buy a new Mac Mini

My mid-2008 iMac just died, leaving me without computer audio for the first time in a long time. My music library is stored on an external drive that was connected to this iMac, and I use Audirvana Plus to feed speakers through my DAC. It was a very simple setup that I have enjoyed for many years.

Now I need to replace the source, and I am thinking that a Mac Mini probably makes the most sense. I’m already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, and I have little interest in streaming at this point in time. The plan would be to setup a headless Mini that will be used only for computer audio (mostly redbook, some 24/96 but no DSD). I plan to keep my music library on an external hard drive.

In this scenario, is there anything you’d suggest changing about the following before I place the order:

• 2.6GHz Processor (I’m not sure if a faster processor would make a noticeable difference in audio quality, but I’d guess not)
  • 16GB RAM (since it is not user replaceable, I figured it would be smart to get more than I probably need)
  • 1TB hard drive (or should I consider a 256GB SSD for the operating system instead even though the music files will be on an external drive?)

Thanks for your input.

I replaced the HD with an OWC SSD on my 2011 Mac mini, which saved a bundle vs buying the SSD from Apple. It made a difference in SQ. Not sure if you can DIY this on the current crop of minis. If not, I would suggest going with the 256 SSD. I don't think you'll need more storage than that if the device is audio only.

I don't think you need 16GB. I use the 8GB intermediate model with HQ player upsampling PCM and it more than meets my needs. And I will dissent from the SSD comments. I have tried both in my Mini and vastly prefer the stock HD. The sound is much more natural and open. Just my .02. :-)

I would suggest that if you use USB storage to replace it with a Seagte or other NAS. I connect mine directly to the Mini and it keeps the USB clear from interference.

If you have another computer that you leave on all the time and is connected to your network, you might want to consider a MicroRendu and Roon. Also, you will need to be able to run an Ethernet cable to the usb input on your dac to use the MicroRendu.

It's a pretty awesome sounding system with a superb user interface. Plus, it's cheaper that a Mac Mini (I think). Add HQ Player and a good power supply, and it might sound better too.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I replaced the HD with an OWC SSD on my 2011 Mac mini, which saved a bundle vs buying the SSD from Apple. It made a difference in SQ. Not sure if you can DIY this on the current crop of minis. If not, I would suggest going with the 256 SSD. I don't think you'll need more storage than that if the device is audio only.

I agree, it's cheaper to buy your own SSD. It's not very difficult with the new models, in fact they are easier to open than the older ones. :-) But it's a lot easier with the tool kit from iFixit, which I strongly recommend. It's only $30 and makes swapping hard drives much easier.

To expand on my comment about SSDs, I did by a very cheap one. Perhaps a better one would have sounded better. Maybe I'll try it because I do miss how cool every ran. :-)

I bought mine from apple with 2 SSDs pre-installed. It sounds the same as a mac mini with a conventional HD, and it sounds the same as direct network streaming to the DAC. The SSD is better because (normally) it will last a lot longer, it won't make mechanical noise, and applications open much fester. The whole thing is much more snappy. I also now use a 1TB external SSD for my music library, mainly to cut down on mechanical noise and bus power consumption.

Thanks for the input. Even if a SSD doesn't sound better in this application, I was thinking that it might make sense due to the increased longevity, reduced power usage, and added speed. It sounds like 8GB of RAM might be enough, and it would be nice to save some money. The only thing I worry about is whether 8GB will still be enough in a few years. But I guess there's no way to know that.

Thanks for the input. Even if a SSD doesn't sound better in this application, I was thinking that it might make sense due to the increased longevity, reduced power usage, and added speed. It sounds like 8GB of RAM might be enough, and it would be nice to save some money. The only thing I worry about is whether 8GB will still be enough in a few years. But I guess there's no way to know that.

Yep - I would go for the 2.6ghz i5 w/ 8gb of memory and a 256G Flash drive, if you can afford that. For music, it will go a long way.

If you plan on getting into heavy transcoding, the 3.0+ghz i7 with 16gb and a 256g Flash drive is a good, if somewhat expensive choice. (About $1700 I think.)

Or you can pick up a cheap used Mini from the secondary market, and wait till they do a refresh on the Minis - one is about due I think.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Not really. It's now the minimum in Mac laptops for a reason. I have a work and personal MBP with16 Gb and run menu meters on both all the time. So I know what they use. Both routinely go above 8 gb and release memory when no longer needed. OS X is quite elastic at utilizing additional memory. 8 gb now is penny wise and pound foolish especially since most people using a Mac as a music server will keep it for some time.

I'm an enterprise architect in IT and have led Mac and iOS development teams at some of the biggest and best known companies in the world. I've been using and developing on Macs since 1984. I'm pretty familiar with Mac OS X memory utilization.

Not really. It's now the minimum in Mac laptops for a reason. I have a work and personal MBP with16 Gb and run menu meters on both all the time. So I know what they use. Both routinely go above 8 gb and release memory when no longer needed. OS X is quite elastic at utilizing additional memory. 8 gb now is penny wise and pound foolish especially since most people using a Mac as a music server will keep it for some time.

I'm an enterprise architect in IT and have led Mac and iOS development teams at some of the biggest and best known companies in the world. I've been using and developing on Macs since 1984. I'm pretty familiar with Mac OS X memory utilization.

Yes, I understand your point of view. It is most pleasent not to have to develop on a Lisa, and in Pascal to boot. Been there, done that. I could probably trade creds with you all day as well. I prefer Swift now a days too...

So how often does your dedicated music server use 8gb or more, and what tasks are you doing and what software are you using to cause that excessive memory use to happen? I suspect you are not just playing back music. :)

In any case, the flash drive is still likely to be of far more beneficial than an additional 8gb.

Robert A. Heinlein

I bought mine from apple with 2 SSDs pre-installed. It sounds the same as a mac mini with a conventional HD, and it sounds the same as direct network streaming to the DAC. The SSD is better because (normally) it will last a lot longer, it won't make mechanical noise, and applications open much fester. The whole thing is much more snappy. I also now use a 1TB external SSD for my music library, mainly to cut down on mechanical noise and bus power consumption.

Do you use FireWire or Thunderbolt to connect your external SSD?

Yes, I understand your point of view. It is most pleasent not to have to develop on a Lisa, and in Pascal to boot. Been there, done that. I could probably trade creds with you all day as well. I prefer Swift now a days too...

So how often does your dedicated music server use 8gb or more, and what tasks are you doing and what software are you using to cause that excessive memory use to happen? I suspect you are not just playing back music. :)

In any case, the flash drive is still likely to be of far more beneficial than an additional 8gb.

People can read your advice and mine and decide what is best for them in the long run.

Yes, but I am still interested in what you are doing with your dedicated music server Mac that exceeds 8gb on a regular basis.

I'm not the guy who is going to play that game with you while you try to support your bad advice to minimize ram on a Mac that can only be upgraded when you first buy it. You will have to find someone else to go around and around with you while you troll.

You are already acting like this is a choice between more ram and flash when I said nothing about ssd. The correct answer of course is do both.

Yes, but I am still interested in what you are doing with your dedicated music server Mac that exceeds 8gb on a regular basis.

Maybe all his enterprise "apps" have loads of memory leaks.

Eight GB is enough for music playback. Seems to be enough to do all the heavy-duty biophysics computations we do as well.

You seem to attract the trolls like I do, Paul.

You have to wonder about who would choose a username like DawrinOSX. Must have some serious unique gifts and insights to share with all the ignorant child-people.

This hobby attracts the psychos like botflies to platypus faeces.

K

Maybe all his enterprise "apps" have loads of memory leaks.

Eight GB is enough for music playback. Seems to be enough to do all the heavy-duty biophysics computations we do as well.

You seem to attract the trolls like I do, Paul.

You have to wonder about who would choose a username like DawrinOSX. Must have some serious unique gifts and insights to share with all the ignorant child-people.

This hobby attracts the psychos like botflies to platypus faeces.

Yep.

Robert A. Heinlein

Mini arrived today, and setup was easy even though I haven't set one up before. From what I can tell so far, 8GB is going to be more than sufficient for everything I want to do. It lets me allocate 5GB to Audirvana for pre-buffering, which is more than I really need.