IGNORED

Anyone using a PC based digital crossover?

Hi all, I am currently investigating options for a PC based digital crossover, capable of running DSP.

I would like to know what options are out there. If you have implemented a PC based digital crossover, I would like to know what hardware and software you are running, and how you have it set up.

I use JRiver for bass management and crossovers to one LF channel in my 7.1 system. I do not believe it can do more than one sub channel, however. But, it works fine for my purposes feeding Dirac Live and an Exasound E28 for Mch music and videos.

If that is not adequate for you, track down dallasjustice in other threads here. He uses Acourate and Audiolense to generate multiple bass channels in a stereo w/subwoofer setup.

I use Foobar2000 with the crossover dsp component, Asio4all and a cheap 5.1 USB soundcard along with a pair of converted 3 way loudspeakers and three stereo amps.

Alternately, you could use Cantabile 1.2 Full version, Asio4all, VBCable, any music player of your choice and any one of several VST crossover effects.

I have tried both but prefer Foobar2000 because the crossover component allows for time alignment of the drivers.

• 4 weeks later...

I am using Exasound E28 with J-river MC in 3 way active.

You configure j-river like this.

For understand:

LEFT / RIGHT are HIGHS : 2200hz+ (you need hi-pass filter)

Surrounds are MIDS : 900-4000hz. (you need hi-pass/low-pass filters)

REAR are BASS : up to 900hz. (you need low-pass filter)

c2_zpsvtmwwisi.jpg

c1_zpsfx6dypqg.jpg

FILTERS_ACTIV_1_zpsciqesrf0.jpg

In my setup, bass/mid/highs are perfectly in phase in all the range. Checked with dual microphone and scope.

I found playing mids and highs at the same time for a certain range was interesting on my setup. It's just initial setup anyway ...

If you not having different levels depth between bass/mid/highs you can add a dsp delay to compensate.

The other parametric equalizer are for the room correction in my setup.

c2_zpsvtmwwisi.jpg

I'm using Acourate to develop 3-way digital crossovers, then incorporating those filters in JRiver for playback. I use Acourate for crossover and digital room correction all built into these filters. Basically the same as Mitchco's articles about Acourate posted here on CA.

My system is a Win Server 2012 PC putting out 6 channels through USB to a Lynx Hilo which drives amps directly connected to the speaker drivers in a 3-way stereo system.

I have been looking into a lot of different options lately, and ended happily with this line:

Roon -> Dirac -> USBstramer (I2S) -> MiniSharc (I2S) -> Buffalo III (6ch) -> 6x UcD180HG

The reason I chose a external DSP/crossover is that the MiniDSP always restarts in the same configuration, never risk that full range is

sent to the speakers. My setup is also used by rest of my family, and I want it to restart automatically in case of power loss.

Thank you all for your responses. I have settled on my setup: HQPlayer (using Acourate generated filters) --> Merging NADAC --> 3 way speaker + pair of subwoofers.

Hey Keith.

I'm interested in learning why you chose HQPlayer, and how you use your system? Does your audio computer run headless? Was DSD a significant factor?

I ask because I evaluated HQP vs JRiver 2 or 3 years ago and back then HQP couldn't run with WS2012+AudiophileOptimizer, and when running WS in core mode and AO on, PCM sounded as good on JRiver as DSD did on HQP with WS in GUI mode and w/o AO. That was a mouthfull! :)

Plus at the time HQP required a screen to be functional, while my PC is headless and driven from an iPad.

Yet I see more people moving to HQP so maybe they have evolved better than JRiver.

Hi Lewinski, I have both a Jriver and a HQPlayer license. I personally think that HQP sounds better. Have to insert that disclaimer in case some of these forum warmongers jump on me :) I bought the JRiver license so that I can play video.

No, the PC does not run headless. I have a 24" touch screen monitor which I use to control HQP. Very soon the system may have two heads - one HDMI out for the monitor, and a second HDMI out for the TV. This thing will do double duty for HT as well.

Hi Lewinski, I have both a Jriver and a HQPlayer license. I personally think that HQP sounds better. Have to insert that disclaimer in case some of these forum warmongers jump on me :) I bought the JRiver license so that I can play video.

No, the PC does not run headless. I have a 24" touch screen monitor which I use to control HQP. Very soon the system may have two heads - one HDMI out for the monitor, and a second HDMI out for the TV. This thing will do double duty for HT as well.

Understood. Too bad there is not yet an app to control HQP remotely from an iPad or Android device. My two holdbacks with HQP were the inability to run on WS2012 in core mode + AO (which I understand has now been solved), and the need for a screen attached to the computer.

It seems HQP is focused on audio quality, while JRiver seems more focused on quantity (HT for everybody, with all types of input...). So it should only be a matter of time until HQP outperforms JRiver for my needs.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 18/08/2016 at 4:33 AM, Keith_W said:

Thank you all for your responses. I have settled on my setup: HQPlayer (using Acourate generated filters) --> Merging NADAC --> 3 way speaker + pair of subwoofers.

Thanks

I also want to build a digital crossover in PC to run a 2.1 setup

are you using a multichannel DAC from merging NADAC

On 13/08/2016 at 1:38 AM, PowerQuality said:

I have been looking into a lot of different options lately, and ended happily with this line:

Roon -> Dirac -> USBstramer (I2S) -> MiniSharc (I2S) -> Buffalo III (6ch) -> 6x UcD180HG

The reason I chose a external DSP/crossover is that the MiniDSP always restarts in the same configuration, never risk that full range is

sent to the speakers. My setup is also used by rest of my family, and I want it to restart automatically in case of power loss.

Interesting setup. 

Are you using PC to control volume

Rajiv

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2018 at 8:34 PM, raj691 said:

Thanks

I also want to build a digital crossover in PC to run a 2.1 setup

are you using a multichannel DAC from merging NADAC

Sorry Raj, I don't visit CA very much these days. Got a bit tired of the incessant wars. 

My NADAC is a multichannel DAC - I own the MC-8 version (8 channels out). If you want a 2.1 setup you would need at least 3 channels. The NADAC has 8. There are cheaper options. 

4 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

My NADAC is a multichannel DAC - I own the MC-8 version (8 channels out). If you want a 2.1 setup you would need at least 3 channels. The NADAC has 8. There are cheaper options. 

The exaSound e38 is significantly cheaper.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile