IGNORED

Streaming and Teac NT-503

I recently purchased a Teac NT-503 and am really starting to enjoy its feature set. Instead of the analogue inputs that the UD-503 offers, this is all digital (which is fine for me) and allows for DLNA streaming via an ethernet connection.

Teac has its own free DLNA iOS control app, which is ok I guess. Initially, I was frustrated by the apparent lack of OS X desktop control options (cf: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/there-any-os-x-universal-plug-dplay-control-point-software-doesnt-suck-28247/index2.html ).

Since then, I've found the situation is a bit less bleak.

Spotify

With a subscription, Spotify's desktop OS X application allows you to DLNA stream and control spotify content, as well as (optionally) whatever happens to be on that computer's hard drive. You just select the device, and it works:

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 8.54.26 AM.png

PonoMusic World (and JRiver)

The free PonoMusic World application also allows for similar remote control. It is based on the JRiver program, so I assume it will work as well (or better) with JRiver. It required setting a few non-intuitive preference options, but once completed, this works great, and in the case of the PonoMusic World player, is free. Again, it can play whatever is made available, not just pono offerings.

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 9.19.58 AM.png

I recently purchased a Teac NT-503 and am really starting to enjoy its feature set. Instead of the analogue inputs that the UD-503 offers, this is all digital (which is fine for me) and allows for DLNA streaming via an ethernet connection.

Teac has its own free DLNA iOS control app, which is ok I guess. Initially, I was frustrated by the apparent lack of OS X desktop control options (cf: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/there-any-os-x-universal-plug-dplay-control-point-software-doesnt-suck-28247/index2.html ).

Since then, I've found the situation is a bit less bleak.

Spotify

With a subscription, Spotify's desktop OS X application allows you to DLNA stream and control spotify content, as well as (optionally) whatever happens to be on that computer's hard drive. You just select the device, and it works:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27217[/ATTACH]

PonoMusic World (and JRiver)

The free PonoMusic World application also allows for similar remote control. It is based on the JRiver program, so I assume it will work as well (or better) with JRiver. It required setting a few non-intuitive preference options, but once completed, this works great, and in the case of the PonoMusic World player, is free. Again, it can play whatever is made available, not just pono offerings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27220[/ATTACH]

How is your system sounding since your upgrade?
OK, but I need new and better speakers and an upgrade to some better amp modules.

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to do any real critical listening. It definitely sounds "cleaner" if that makes any sense.

Cleaner, at least in my experience of hearing sound fitting that description, is very good.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

IMHO, this can be a good products but unfortunately the native app it's not acceptable. Several app issues precludes the enjoyment as a network player:

1) it's not possible to add a single song to the queque

2) it's not possible to add anything to the queque because the new item will delete the previous

3) it doesn't show the cover art (even if the artwork is embedded in the file as well as present in the album folder as folder.jpg)

All the network player I tried so far can do all the above easily (Sonos, Linn, Marantz, Denon, Cyrus, Cambridge Audio).

I have not had the time to check if can do gapless because I had to send back the demo unit but unfortunately this is another example of a potentially good products killed by a poor app.

I am waiting for a reply from the Teac distributor about these issues but for now, this is a product that I will keep on standby

• 1 month later...

Looking for opinions. I'm wondering which would be more versatile...using an NT-503 or a UD-301 + Sonore microRendu for about the same price.

I prefer to stream dsf files (and flac) from a PC on my network via ethernet connection, and must have gapless DSD playback. Also thinking of subscribing to Tidal, which I do not believe the TEAC supports? Maybe even Roon in my future?

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
What settings did you use with JRiver? I have been struggling with my NT-503 and so far have gotten no sound at all! And I bought it to stream DSDs...

All i play is dsd and have the nt503...just started streaming though...

I now use minimserver and teac avr remote for android or on pc i use upplay 1.2.5 (they also have controller for smartphone).

or on pc i use upplay 1.2.5 (they also have controller for smartphone).
If you are referring to the similarly named UPnPlay Android controller app, it is not produced by the same developer of the Upplay Windows controller. There is a Linux version of Upplay, though.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

What settings did you use with JRiver? I have been struggling with my NT-503 and so far have gotten no sound at all! And I bought it to stream DSDs...

For JRiver, to get DSD natively, go to Tools -> Options -> Settings -> Bitstreaming -> Yes -> DSD

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

he said he was getting no sound, which that setting wouldn't fix, but would allow native dsd vs pcm. If he is getting no sound, it could be several things...is he selecting the TEAC ASIO driver ?

Not sure if he did say he had tried that.

Let"s wait to hear from him. :)

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

• 8 months later...

Fumbled around forever with JRiver and was never able to get DSD over DLNA.  USB worked fine.  Was also able to get DSDs running on A+ via USB; but found the UI to be problematic.  So then I tried Roon.  Was able to get DSD (up to 128) in DoP; but also only via USB. Sigh.

Would much rather stream DSD (and PCM of course) to the NT-503.  Anyone have success with that?

I will admit that Roon sort of sucked me in with the meta-data.

On 6/25/2016 at 7:22 PM, wgscott said:

Spotify

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 8.54.26 AM.png

NT-503 has Spotify Connect feature, so you don't need UPnP/DLNA for that. It works straight from all desktop and mobile Spotify applications (Win/Mac/iOS/Android).

It also has AirPlay endpoint, so that can be used too. In addition I've connected Google's Chromecast Audio dongle over optical cable to NT-503, so that works too (Tidal app, etc).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 1 month later...

Hello,
I kindly ask some advise on the configuration posted by @Cebolla. Unfortunately I'm a total newbie and even worse - have no interest in quality sound, and stuck with configuring combo of Jriver, Melco and Teac NT 503 only on behalf of my dad who has asked for help. 

I did configure jriver exactly as it was suggested by @Cebolla and now through jriver I can start playback and sound is produced through Teac NT 503 and Melco is a source. Thanks a lot for describing your config, it was a life saver for someone like me.

Unfortunately one problem that was found is that the sound cannot be controlled through jriver: i did experiment with Internal, System and Application volume in jriver settings - the result is the same: whenever sound is altered in Jriver, on Teac it goes straight to zero, even though in jriver interface it can show any percentage. 

Another problem - when I attempt to scroll a song to another position I get an error about controlling dlna device.

Is it a limitation of Teac DLNA implementation? Or is it that I missed something in configuration/settings?

If anybody could shed some light I would really appreciate, any hints are valuable.

What I can tell you is that the Teac NT-503 has a lot of deviations from standard DLNA that make it difficult to work with.

I've pretty much given up hope on getting it to work with any desktop software via the network connection.

On the iOS devices, apart from its own (crappy) control software, Glider and mconnect (lite) works.