IGNORED

Forum posted measurements of iFi iPower PS

Measurements of Sonore microRendu Streamer | Page 2 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

In a review of the microRendu + iFi iPower PS, Amir claims he found that the iPower adds a significant amount of noise to the output - both in comparison to his laptop's standard PS, and in comaprison to his lab linear supply.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Measurements of Sonore microRendu Streamer | Page 2 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

In a review of the microRendu + iFi iPower PS, Amir claims he found that the iPower adds a significant amount of noise to the output - both in comparison to his laptop's standard PS, and in comaprison to his lab linear supply.

Having read the thread my take is that the guy doing the PSU measurements doesn't seem to know what he is doing. He is using some complicated Windows stack for no apparent reason, has ground loops in the laptop/iFi PSU combo. He appears to have some kind of 'objectivist' agenda too.

I own several iPower PSUs and so I'm quite interested in how they measure. I also own an MCRU linear PSU that cost much more (about 7x more) that I use to power my 2Qute DAC, and I have no problem believing that it measures and sounds better than the iPower. But I'm not going to buy a fancy 300 UKP power supply to power my router, NAS, Raspberry Pis etc when the iPowers do a much more cost effective job.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Having read the thread my take is that the guy doing the PSU measurements doesn't seem to know what he is doing. He is using some complicated Windows stack for no apparent reason, has ground loops in the laptop/iFi PSU combo. He appears to have some kind of 'objectivist' agenda too.

Amir made a mistake in his first set fof measurents (mRendu+iPower audio was going through Windows stack, and he didn't realize it). Even though he his results didn't make sense, he published and speculated. Later he saw his mistake and corrected it.

Beyond that, he is a knowledgeable guy, about audio and computers. Has relevant degrees, and teaches related topics at university. Has practical experience, too. He does seem to want the mR to be a "failure" - I think he thinks the concept can't do what is claimed for it. But that doesn't make his observations invalid.

It would help if the iFi and mR people would post their own measurements. Unfortunately, I don't think Sonore has the ability to do many of these measurements. I'm sure iFi/AMR must.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It would help if the iFi and mR people would post their own measurements. Unfortunately, I don't think Sonore has the ability to do many of these measurements. I'm sure iFi/AMR must.

See the post by 'lurcher' in this thread where he measures various PSUs incuding the iPower:

iFi iPower for Raspberry PI - Page 7

'Lurcher' is the designer of the Longdog linear PSUs that MCRU sell in the UK, which gives him some credibilty with me as I own one and think it works well. He doesn't seem to have any sort 'agenda' such an anti-iPower or anti-USB based streamer sound differences etc

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I own several iPower PSUs and so I'm quite interested in how they measure. I also own an MCRU linear PSU that cost much more (about 7x more) that I use to power my 2Qute DAC, and I have no problem believing that it measures and sounds better than the iPower. But I'm not going to buy a fancy 300 UKP power supply to power my router, NAS, Raspberry Pis etc when the iPowers do a much more cost effective job.

Hi Richard,

You have it correct, he does not know what he's doing and to take it a bit further, zero credibility. He also clearly has an agenda so we already know what the outcome will be. Rather sad but this is what some people do when they have nothing better to do. Funny how since the Regen BS he is not tried one other USB device,(there have been many) and his next test subject (SMH) is the microR. Thanks for posting the other test information as it actually provides a useful comparison from a credible source.

Regards

Bob

Hi Richard,

You have it correct, he does not know what he's doing and to take it a bit further, zero credibility. He also clearly has an agenda so we already know what the outcome will be. Rather sad but this is what some people do when they have nothing better to do. Funny how since the Regen BS he is not tried one other USB device,(there have been many) and his next test subject (SMH) is the microR. Thanks for posting the other test information as it actually provides a useful comparison from a credible source.

Regards

Bob

+1, my take exactly.

Funny how Nick at LDA takes no shots whatsoever at the iPower, and concludes it measures very well for a $49 device and is in line with the manufacturer's claims. Like you said, Nick has established credibility.

So too do Sonore, Uptone, John Swenson, and iFi. Amir should choose his battles more wisely, he does not have the credentials or expertise of the above mentioned group, all of whom are quite well regarded as I see it.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

+1, my take exactly.

Amir should choose his battles more wisely, he does not have the credentials or expertise of the above mentioned group, all of whom are quite well regarded as I see it.

He is irrelevant: probably has nothing better to do, now that his hearing is defective, than to try and make measurements to 'prove' to himself that none of these devices should make any difference.

Cognitive Dissonance can take many forms.

I replied to a thread on WBF today and that was even before I saw firedog's reply from yesterday above, and I have fairly the same view as firedog.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Beyond that, he is a knowledgeable guy, about audio and computers. Has relevant degrees, and teaches related topics at university.

His team at MS worked on Windows Media Player. Can you get further from audiophilia than that?

Additionally, he wrote on WBF that supposedly John S. had told him that the Regen 'worked on the principle of data re-send with asynch USB'. The post has probably since been removed or at least the perpetrator himself is removed form the forum there.

This is either blatant manipulation of information on a public forum (as if John would ever say something like that!) or downright basic ignorance since asynch USB does no such thing as re-sending data.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

His team at MS worked on Windows Media Player. Can you get further from audiophilia than that?

Additionally, he wrote on WBF that supposedly John S. had told him that the Regen 'worked on the principle of data re-send with asynch USB'. The post has probably since been removed or at least the perpetrator himself is removed form the forum there.

This is either blatant manipulation of information on a public forum (as if John would ever say something like that!) or downright basic ignorance since asynch USB does no such thing as re-sending data.

Here is a bit of info on Amir. Lots more out there if one wants to look. He has zero credibility. He is not an honest person and has a clear agenda. He has been an internet stalker for years.

Question about Amir - the Blu-ray side - Blu-ray Forum

Here is a bit of info on Amir. Lots more out there if one wants to look. He has zero credibility. He is not an honest person and has a clear agenda. He has been an internet stalker for years.

Question about Amir - the Blu-ray side - Blu-ray Forum

Thank you for that, I had no idea Amir's internet trash talk went back that far, though I had seen some of his more recent handy work on the WBF, where he seems to be the ultimate thread closer.

As you said, zero credibility, and clearly pursuing an agenda at all costs, including making himself look really bad repeatedly.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...