IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

I have 300 down/20 up. So I guess it would be about 6 days upload time per tb. Padding that a bit I'd say it will take about a month. This is ok, once the current bulk is up it will be much easier.

Does GoodSync work as Dropbox does? Or do you have to set up a backup schedule?

The interface is somewhat reminiscent of ChronoSync. You select your local storage and your storage on Amazon and set them up in a left (local)-to-right (Amazon) configuration. There are then two steps, "Analyze," where the UI tells you what will happen if you go ahead, and "Sync," which is self-explanatory. Like ChronoSync, you can set up a schedule, but you don't have to.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I store all my music, photos, videos on my Synology NAS. Backup strategy:

1. Local machines (all Macs) backup to the NAS using Time Machine.

2. NAS backup to local USB drive using Hyper Backup (nightly)

3. NAS backup to remote Synology NAS at a friend's house across town using Hyper Backup (nightly). Initial backup was done locally, and then moved to friend's.

I would love to use Amazon, but with my NAS usage pushing 4TB, the initial seed problem is daunting.

If you have Synology, I really recommend option 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

The (GoodSync) interface is somewhat reminiscent of ChronoSync. You select your local storage and your storage on Amazon and set them up in a left (local)-to-right (Amazon) configuration. There are then two steps, "Analyze," where the UI tells you what will happen if you go ahead, and "Sync," which is self-explanatory. Like ChronoSync, you can set up a schedule, but you don't have to.

ChronoSync can backup to Amazon S3 and Google Cloud. (The capability of backing up to these cloud services was added to ChronoSync only 3 months ago.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Any recommendations on this for Win, wether built in or third party? I have 3-4 win10 systems I would like to create images of just he OS (prob store on the NAS).

I like Acronis True Image- Local and Cloud. You can configure whatever you want backed up, multiple PC, NAS, etc for both local backup and cloud and the price is good for unlimited cloud storage.

ChronoSync can backup to Amazon S3 and Google Cloud. (The capability of backing up to these cloud services was added to ChronoSync only 3 months ago.)

Hi Bob -

If you look further back up the thread, you'll see where I noted the ability to back up to Amazon S3, and also mentioned they plan to add the ability to back up to Amazon Cloud Drive soon. :) (I didn't mention Google Drive because Miguel and I had been discussing the Amazon Cloud Drive unlimited storage plan specifically.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I do have a Win -10 machine I'd like to backup to NAS.

Any recommendations for backup tools that can be used for a full restore? Acronis True Image?

Long ago, and perhaps no longer the case, Acronis well and truly messed up a multiboot installation of mine, and I haven't trusted it enough to try it since. While not widely known, I've always really liked BootIt (https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm), which along with various useful multiboot and partition tools also has an image and restore function. I think you can get just the image and restore facility a bit cheaper if you don't want the rest.

I would love to use Amazon, but with my NAS usage pushing 4TB, the initial seed problem is daunting.

What's your nominal ISP upload speed? When I did the initial upload, which at my ISP's then nominal upload speed of a grand 1mbps took 3 months(!), I was happily able to access the Internet and play music over the local network just fine. So if you don't mind leaving the computer/NAS on for a solid block of time, if your experience is like mine you can just let it run in the background.

What's your nominal ISP upload speed? When I did the initial upload, which at my ISP's then nominal upload speed of a grand 1mbps took 3 months(!), I was happily able to access the Internet and play music over the local network just fine. So if you don't mind leaving the computer/NAS on for a solid block of time, if your experience is like mine you can just let it run in the background.

It's 20Mbps.

I may be able to limit the traffic to say 15Mbps to allow enough bandwidth on the pipe for existing traffic.

Amazon S3 has an initial seed via HDD mail in, but too expensive for this amount of data.

Hmm, let me explore it. Thanks!

Btw - the only other free remote backup solution with initial seed that I could find was the CrashPlan Friend backup feature. This works on regular Win and Mac machines.

It's 20Mbps.

I may be able to limit the traffic to say 15Mbps to allow enough bandwidth on the pipe for existing traffic.

Amazon S3 has an initial seed via HDD mail in, but too expensive for this amount of data.

Hmm, let me explore it. Thanks!

Btw - the only other free remote backup solution with initial seed that I could find was the CrashPlan Friend backup feature. This works on regular Win and Mac machines.

If your experience is like mine, you will not have to limit your upload speed. I didn't do any limiting with 1Mbps nominal upload (!), and my local network, including audio playback, worked just fine.

Edit: Oh, I meant to mention - lots of other people like CrashPlan, and they do many things well. For a variety of reasons (including the fact that they charge quite a bit for the HDD seed, and uploading to them hogged my network), after using CrashPlan for about 6 months I switched to Amazon and have been quite happy.

If your experience is like mine, you will not have to limit your upload speed. I didn't do any limiting with 1Mbps nominal upload (!), and my local network, including audio playback, worked just fine.

Edit: Oh, I meant to mention - lots of other people like CrashPlan, and they do many things well. For a variety of reasons (including the fact that they charge quite a bit for the HDD seed, and uploading to them hogged my network), after using CrashPlan for about 6 months I switched to Amazon and have been quite happy.

Update -

1. For backing up my Windows 10 to my NAS, I decided to use Acronis True Image 2017 - for now. I'm familiar with it, so why not. I'm using an incremental backup scheme. I'll let it run for a few weeks and test how well restores work before settling on this for the long term.
  2. For backing up my Synology NAS to a cloud:
    • I'm in no rush, as I already have a remote backup to my NAS at a friend's house in place
    • I will give Amazon Drive a shot, as another backup target, next time I go on vacation for a few days, so the initial seed can complete at its own pace :)
    • Some day, we'll get Google fiber or AT&T GigaPower in our neighborhood, with 1Gb up/down. That'll be something!

Thanks for your suggestions!

I have been trying to back up to the cloud. With my 1mb/s uploads, I'm only getting 8gb per day. With over 3tb to backup, this painful.

I need to find a way to do a full backup at uni... I'm sure it's faster, but not sure how fast.

But thought the cloud might be cheaper long term...

I wondered if there might be companies that back up your hard drives super fast... but couldn't see that on google - anyone found such a service?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

I have been trying to back up to the cloud. With my 1mb/s uploads, I'm only getting 8gb per day. With over 3tb to backup, this painful.

I need to find a way to do a full backup at uni... I'm sure it's faster, but not sure how fast.

But thought the cloud might be cheaper long term...

I wondered if there might be companies that back up your hard drives super fast... but couldn't see that on google - anyone found such a service?

I backup from my ubuntu NAS to Amazon Cloud using the command line. Install the "acdcli" package.

I ssh into my NAS and then use "byobu" to create a persistent job -- if the SSH gets disconnected (often) you can simply

$ byobu attach

to get back on...

yes the initial upload takes weeks... but best to start rather than keep talking because it would be done by now :)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Yes odelay it is painfully slow. At about 10gb per day mine took about 75 days if I remember correctly. So yours....

Just trying to think of some ways to speed things up - possible for you to drive your NAS or whatever you're using to a friend's or college or workplace with a faster connection?

I feel like my "remote backup of NAS to friend" point got lost somewhere along the way!

I'm not taking away anything from the backup to Amazon Cloud Drive option, but the initial seed problem is painful. Also, recovery of the entire NAS, if necessary, is also painful.

So all I'm saying is if, like me, you're on your 2nd or higher NAS, AND have the old one still kicking around, why not re-purpose it to be your remote backup location? Put it at a friend's house, and make it another backup target.

I only know the Synology world, but it's certainly likely something similar is possible on QNAP too. Do the initial backup in your own network. Once at your friend's, assign a static IP to your NAS, and run the EZInternet utility to open up the Hyper Backup port, and set up a DDNS (Synology provides their own DDNS service). Finally, (Quick) connect back to your primary NAS and edit the backup task to change the address of the remote Synology NAS to the DDNS address. You might want to enable transfer encryption too.

Easy, peasy. No fuss, no muss.

Just Amazon S3 for me, works well, very cheap (for me about 1/4 cost of Cloud Drive, but depends on the amount you store).

Depending on the amount you store and how frequently you expect to access it (remember, adding new music purchases to this backup is access). For 1TB with "standard" access frequencies (I've got ~900GB at the moment, and expect to make fairly frequent additions), the cost estimate I obtain is ~$30/month. So Cloud Drive at $60 annually is a better deal for me.

Yes odelay it is painfully slow. ...

Just trying to think of some ways to speed things up - possible for you to drive your NAS or whatever you're using to a friend's or college or workplace with a faster connection?

[/url]

Thanks Jabbr & Jud.

Living in Tallinn & Helsinki at the moment. I am very much dependent on my partner's friends and family. Have been thinking about how I might get it done at uni, but logistics have been tricky... although, speeds are promising there...

Just did the math... or faced the music... it would take me 412 days to back up (3.3tb, but just under 2tb of music). I've been backing up the past few weeks. Barley made a dent.. These uploads also affect downloads... not fun. Have most of it backed up... in Australia...

I am using Backblaze - for the first time. It seemed fairly well reviewed. It's 5/mth, $95/2yrs, unlimited uploads (no cost for number of uploads - that I know of, but could be mistaken). They give you a 15 day free trial.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Thanks Jabbr & Jud.

Living in Tallinn & Helsinki at the moment. I am very much dependent on my partner's friends and family. Have been thinking about how I might get it done at uni, but logistics have been tricky... although, speeds are promising there...

Just did the math... or faced the music... it would take me 412 days to back up (3.3tb, but just under 2tb of music). I've been backing up the past few weeks. Barley made a dent.. These uploads also affect downloads... not fun. Have most of it backed up... in Australia...

I am using Backblaze - for the first time. It seemed fairly well reviewed. It's 5/mth, $95/2yrs, unlimited uploads (no cost for number of uploads - that I know of, but could be mistaken). They give you a 15 day free trial.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Is it Backblaze where the uploads affect downloads? That happened for me too with another service, but not for Amazon Cloud Drive, which is one of the reasons I moved to it and have stayed with it.

Is it Backblaze where the uploads affect downloads? That happened for me too with another service, but not for Amazon Cloud Drive, which is one of the reasons I moved to it and have stayed with it.

Saturating your upload bandwidth can adversely affect downloads (Google "buffer bloat" for details). Limiting upload speed to around 80% of max rate avoids this. The extent of this effect depends more on your ISP than the service you're connecting to.