IGNORED

Focusrite REDNet

I've got a D16 and I can't figure out why I don't have subscription status in the Network Tab in the Dante Controller.

What (obvious) setting or item am I missing in my setup?

I also have a MicroRendu and can't wait to make the comparison.

Thanks,

Joel

I've got a D16 and I can't figure out why I don't have subscription status in the Network Tab in the Dante Controller.

Thanks,

Joel

Here is the way I set things up (I think there are a few different ways):

1) Under device info tab double click on the name of your Rednet Device

2) A new window should open. Make sure you are in "Receive" tab. You should see a split window with Receive Channels on Left and Available Channels on Right.

3) In the Right Panel you should see the name of you computer. Drag and Drop this into the left hand panel. The 2 channel connection between RedNet and Computer should be made. If you see two green check marks under the status column you should be set.

One other random tip. To play 192Khz files (natively or via upsampling) I needed to set latency in Dante Virtual Soundcard to 4ms.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, gldgate.

Since I'm remoting in to the server, I couldn't do a screenprint so I just took a photo of the screen.

In short, I couldn't drag and drop my computer at all. I don't know why.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

JoelRednet D16 Setup Image.jpg

Looks like usb days are numbered ?

It would be very interesting to compare this solution with the DSD512 supported DAC and up-sampling everything to DSD512 through HQP. Over at T+A DSD8 DAC thread, the buzz has been it sounds way better than 128 or 256 and there is something about 512 that makes the SQ special.

On another forum (not head-fi!) someone compared it against USB with the new xmos chip (f-1) and could not really find an improvement. He ended up returning the RedNet.

I would not jump to conclusions at this point.

There are also a few practical aspects to be considered:

- fixed sample rate

- cost

- lack of Linux support

- lack of wifi support

This is a pro-audio solution, and it does have its limitations for use in a home hi-fi system.

On another forum (not head-fi!) someone compared it against USB with the new xmos chip (f-1) and could not really find an improvement. He ended up returning the RedNet.

I would not jump to conclusions at this point.

There is a desktop version of the f-1 with AES and some folks seem to think it does better job than the Mutec 3+ USB as a re-clocker. Its getting rather confusing with myriad of choices....

Its getting rather confusing with myriad of choices....

Yes, there are a lot of options out there. I think what makes it confusing is:

A) the technical aspects are really difficult to understand, and may not even be well understood at this point. Also, there are very few measurements done, and when there are they invariably are subject to controversy.

B) There are practically no formal comparison done between these different products - the speed at which they are coming to market and the variety of solutions certainly has something to do with it. But it would be interesting to see some more shoot-outs, with blind testing and more than one listener.

That being said, it is always interesting to read about individual feedback, as in this thread, and I am grateful for gldgate to have taken the time to give us his impressions.

I agree. gldgate has done a great job comparing Rednet, microRendu and Caps. I truly appreciate his effort. I wish there was someone equipped with T+A DSD8 w/ PC upsampling to DSD512 and Rednet doing a similar comparison. Wishful thinking though....:-)

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, gldgate.

Since I'm remoting in to the server, I couldn't do a screenprint so I just took a photo of the screen.

In short, I couldn't drag and drop my computer at all. I don't know why.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Joel[ATTACH=CONFIG]27095[/ATTACH]

Joel:

Expand the "+" next to your computer name (you should see channels 1 and 2) and see if you can drag and drop them into the left pane . I just tried this again and it worked. Here is how mine looks:

Capture.JPG

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Thanks,

Joel

Looking forward to this too!

Best as I can tell, which isn't necessarily saying much, I think somehow my D16 isn't registering on my network properly.

I just don't know why or what to do about it.

Joel

Here is a link to some technical docs on the Rednet site:

https://www.audinate.com/resources/technical-documentation

If that does not help I would call RedNet Support and have them help you through any set-up issues. They were very helpful when I called.

Thanks gldgate for the comparisons between the 3 systems, would have taken a while to setup.

It's also good to see the Mutec can still improve SQ, you should get another MC-3+USB, it's very much the effort (and cost) :)

Yes, I've been following the Mutec thread for a while and notice many like the stacked MC-3 approach. Unfortunately, my audio piggy bank is empty so it will likely be a few months before I can purchase a new audio toy. I also wanted to wait and see the reception to the Mutec clock device that Julian mentioned would come out in September. I want to see if users feel a clock/MC-3 combo is > stacked MC-3.

I figured that's where I was heading, gldngate.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to try to help me out.

Joel

If I compare yours with gldgate's settings, it appears as if your RedNet settings are mapped onto the RedNet itself instead of your Tascam.

I would think you connected the incoming channels of RedNet to the outgoing channels of the RedNet.

I would clear the matrix and follow gldgate's example

If I compare yours with gldgate's settings, it appears as if your RedNet settings are mapped onto the RedNet itself instead of your Tascam.

I would think you connected the incoming channels of RedNet to the outgoing channels of the RedNet.

I would clear the matrix and follow gldgate's example

Thanks for the advice, Alex.

I'll give it a shot.

Joel

Best as I can tell, which isn't necessarily saying much, I think somehow my D16 isn't registering on my network properly.

I just don't know why or what to do about it.

Joel

If you are not already doing so try connecting your PC directly to your D16's first ethernet port with the supplied RN cable. Then use the other D16 ethernet port to connect to your LAN. This might eliminate any connectivity issues while you get it up and running.

I had to do this and then I could start tweaking the settings.

Hang in there. It will be worth it.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

You were absolutely right, Aleg.

I made the changes you recommended and now I have the connection I wanted between the D16 and my server.

Next challenge. No sound. I've seen that latency settings on the device and the Dante virtual sound card or maybe the Rednet controller could have something to do with that.

I'll gladly take any suggestions on that front.

Thanks very much for help.

Joel