IGNORED

Focusrite REDNet

Subscribing too.

I've seen and used Focusrite a fair bit, but its mostly in recording and mainly as an audio interface device.

Audio over ethernet does look interesting, but in my limited testing (limited to router, network switch, NAS, Pi, HDD with ethernet, etc.) I found there to be some improvement in SQ, but not enough to warrant all the hassle... and I'm really enjoying the freedom of wireless and DLNA/UPnP and the lower noise floor it benefits from.

Still very much interested and anything that improves SQ by a fair bit is totally worth it in my book.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

For the RME solution of pcie sound card delivering AES3 direct to dac over 25m of cables Sq wise was liveable. The main snag with that system were the mixer app and the limit of 192kHz. Also some issue with gains which were ironed out, the end result was, did the Sq degrade due to the mixer app dither or attenuation rounding off the bistream.

The RME wasn't that great to accepting a converted DSD to pcm all that well, the Mutec solution is a lot better.

As for routing over Ethernet, for the install at home, it wasn't a high priority since remote PCs are direct wired some time ago with USB extenders with CAT5. This meant I could use either aes3 or usb.

Pro gear is quite good reliable and built very well, but the stopper for me was the 192 limit for transmission purposes.

DSD can be transmitted using Ravenna but this system is far from being easy to implement and costs far too much. I would be agreeable to use the focusrite if it transmitted DSD128 and beyond, also less channels.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The Audinate Via application is also a nice bonus, as you can use it to stream pretty much anything from a Mac or PC. Don't know about the SQ.

There are very few viable alternatives to do that. It does require a wired ethernet connection, however, and that may be a problem for some.

There was someone, for example, asking about streaming Digital Concert Hall to the microRendu. It is really difficult... Via makes it possible to stream anything to a Dante device on the same network. Pretty cool...

The Audinate Via application is also a nice bonus, as you can use it to stream pretty much anything from a Mac or PC. Don't know about the SQ.

There are very few viable alternatives to do that. It does require a wired ethernet connection, however, and that may be a problem for some.

There was someone, for example, asking about streaming Digital Concert Hall to the microRendu. It is really difficult... Via makes it possible to stream anything to a Dante device on the same network. Pretty cool...

Via is also limited to a maximum of 48kHz sample rate. Not very useful IMHO.

There was someone, for example, asking about streaming Digital Concert Hall to the microRendu. It is really difficult...
The microRendu is supposed to have an AirPlay mode (via the Shairport AirPlay emulator). I can't see how streaming using AirPlay can be that difficult, especially with AirPlay being built into Apple devices!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

As long as you have a Mac...
Not really - only mentioned the simplest case, given that the majority of the computer/DAC tetherers on this site are Mac users and assumed you'd fill in the rest. Is it really that much more difficult to install Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil on a Windows machine to get AirPlay?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Not really - only mentioned the simplest case, given that the majority of the computer/DAC tetherers on this site are Mac users and assumed you'd fill in the rest. Is it really that much more difficult to install Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil on a Windows machine to get AirPlay?

I never got AirFoil to work on my pc. I also don't like the fact that you need to switch the microRendu's output anytime you want to use AirPlay. The point is: added bonus... I should have tempered my enthusiasm!

Dante has been pretty popular in Pro circles recently. Thunderbolt as well I have to say.

A recent entry to the Hi-Fi market from a Pro Audio company is the RME ADI-Pro 2 which I'm going to get to replace my current DAC.

IMHO REDNet seems a bit overkill for the majority.

RME, Lynx, Appogee, FocusRite all make really stellar sounding gear. I use the RME BabyFace Pro with DC power supply.

Looking forward to more impressions and discussion here.

I'm the one over on Head-Fi that jumped into the Dante/Rednet solution - first out of curiosity on the technology and a desire to get rid of all of the USB tweaks and gadgets, but have become a proponent of it based on the sound. The description that Mourip included in the opening post mirrors my experience with this chain as well. It's been encouraging to see others experiencing the same result.

-Mike

RME, Lynx, Appogee, FocusRite all make really stellar sounding gear. I use the RME BabyFace Pro with DC power supply.

I've thought for a long time that some parts of the audiophile community can be too quick to dismiss pro gear. In terms of quality, it's the same as anything else in that there is good and bad. Just off the to top of my head, I'd add to that list Manley, Dangerous Music, and Burl.

I'm using a Dangerous Music DAC and couldn't be happier with it. Previous to this I was using a Yggdrasil.

-Mike

Dante has been pretty popular in Pro circles recently. Thunderbolt as well I have to say.

A recent entry to the Hi-Fi market from a Pro Audio company is the RME ADI-Pro 2 which I'm going to get to replace my current DAC.

IMHO REDNet seems a bit overkill for the majority.

Agreed that the features are overkill but at ~$1000usd for the RN3 which probably has the same SQ as my D16 it wonderfully surpassed my PPAv2 USB card>REGEN Amber>Mutec 3+ USB chain with everything but the Mutec on an LPS.

It seems pretty possible someone could/will make a scaled down and cheaper unit that will be killer.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Very interesting, have you tried redbook without upsampling, maybe it's the upsampling that's making the improvement? TIA!

I have tried upsampling at various times and have not liked it. I was disappointed when I had ordered my D16 and read that it did not do a pass-through of the original sampling rate.

Once I had the D16 in my system all of those concerns vanished.

System

I also wanted to point out some other reasons why I wanted to try out the REDNet and that is my growing recognition and appreciation of PRO audio devices. The Mutec opened my eyes. It's a great audio "Swiss Army knife" that IMO provides very good value for the $. The more I look at PRO devices (and Companies) the more I like their no-nonsense approach to Audio.

I pulled all of my USB paraphernalia out of my chain and started with just the supplied RN ethernet cable to RN D16 to Apogee Wide-Eye AES cable to Yggy. Wonderful improvement. Tonight I added the Mutec 3+ USB back in after the D16 as a re-clocker. 192k in and 192K out.

This brought the sound up to a whole new level of clarity and refinement. Choral music now gives me goose bumps.

I had originally hoped to just keep the D16 and sell the Mutec to fund that purchase but now have tossed that idea!

+100 for well chosen Pro Audio devices...

So I now have Pro Audio digital devices, an R2R DAC, a preamp with 80 year old tubes, 50 year old Western Electric speaker cables, DIY interconnects made from Belden Pro Audio wire, a single ended SS amp, and single driver crossover-less speakers.

Mix and match can get you there :-)

System

I pulled all of my USB paraphernalia out of my chain and started with just the supplied RN ethernet cable to RN D16 to Apogee Wide-Eye AES cable to Yggy. Wonderful improvement. Tonight I added the Mutec 3+ USB back in after the D16 as a re-clocker. 192k in and 192K out.

This brought the sound up to a whole new level of clarity and refinement. Choral music now gives me goose bumps.

I had originally hoped to just keep the D16 and sell the Mutec to fund that purchase but now have tossed that idea!

+100 for well chosen Pro Audio devices...

So I now have Pro Audio digital devices, an R2R DAC, a preamp with 80 year old tubes, 50 year old Western Electric speaker cables, DIY interconnects made from Belden Pro Audio wire, a single ended SS amp, and single driver crossover-less speakers.

Mix and match can get you there :-)

Glad you are getting very good results with Rednet and Rednet/Mutec combo. Almost exclusively positive reports from what I have read so far.

FedEx tracking is showing the Rednet D16 should arrive Friday which means I'll have the weekend to play around with the unit. Looking forward to it.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Glad you are getting very good results with Rednet and Rednet/Mutec combo. Almost exclusively positive reports from what I have read so far.

FedEx tracking is showing the Rednet D16 should arrive Friday which means I'll have the weekend to play around with the unit. Looking forward to it.

Why the Rednet D16 vs. the Rednet 3?

Just for AES connectivity or is there another reason?

Any sonic comparisons between these devices and the MicroRendu?

Thanks in advance.

Joel

Thanks in advance.

Joel

Not sure about others, but it my case I preferred the 1U format, it uses the newer Brooklyn II module from Audinate for Dante connectivity, and it has AES output built-in rather than requiring a custom breakout cable.

It would be interesting to hear the two compared to each other, but outside of the group that's been jumping on the Dante/Rednet train over the past few weeks I haven't heard of anyone else using it on the consumer/audiophile side of things.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

The main reason for me is AES which I currently prefer with Mutec and Yggy. The only "spec" difference I am aware of between the two cards (Brooklyn I Module of Rednet 3 and Brooklyn II of D16) is that the Brooklyn II will handle sample rates of 176kHz. I can't comment on SQ yet because D16 is still in transit.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

So how does a PC (Windows or Linux) or a Mac sees this device and plays into it ? Is there some standard protocol available ? Are there drivers needed and available for Windows/Linux/OSX ? Can I use Roon/HQP on a PC and play into the D16 ?

So how does a PC (Windows or Linux) or a Mac sees this device and plays into it ? Is there some standard protocol available ? Are there drivers needed and available for Windows/Linux/OSX ? Can I use Roon/HQP on a PC and play into the D16 ?

You need to install Dante Virtual Sound Card and Dante Controller.

The sound card provides wither WDM or ASIO (selectable) drivers, and Dante Controller allows you to connect the devices and route audio between them.

There's a great set of videos on the Audinate that explain how everything fits together: https://www.audinate.com/resources/training-and-tutorials

You need to install Dante Virtual Sound Card and Dante Controller.

The sound card provides wither WDM or ASIO (selectable) drivers, and Dante Controller allows you to connect the devices and route audio between them.

There's a great set of videos on the Audinate that explain how everything fits together: https://www.audinate.com/resources/training-and-tutorials

Pretty cool. Thanks a bunch!

Anybody know if the s/w could be installed and run on WS 2012R2 ? I don't see it listed and hoping that the Windows 8 version would work with the WS ?

Pretty cool. Thanks a bunch!

Anybody know if the s/w could be installed and run on WS 2012R2 ? I don't see it listed and hoping that the Windows 8 version would work with the WS ?

I have the Focusrite and Dante DVS software successfully installed on my Win2012R2 server. SQ is stunning.

Installed without issue except for a couple of nag screens about firewall but works perfectly.

I did try running Audiophile Optimizer but it broke DVS. Might still work with tweaking but I have been too busy listening to music to worry about that :-)

System