IGNORED

Linux net book vs RPi 2 descission time

Currently have a Acer (Atom processor, 2gb memory) net-book running Xubuntu >Deadbeef >AQJB > Belden cable > DAC. Music is stored and played from a USB WD250 HDD.

This replaced an older Mac Mini that finally gave up the ghost. I removed the SSD from the Mac but have not put it in the Acer.

This is really a bang for buck question to which there will be different (sometime passionate) opinions.

So, I could get the "Recovery" and add it to current setup or build a RPi2 w/Hifiberry Digi+. The second options is closer to what I had with the Mac Mini - music on ext usb HDD - going out via toslink to dac.

Mac Mini was connected to my wifi network with a Airport Express. So I'll have to dongle a wifi adapter from the Pi2. Obviously there are budgetary restraints at this time in play.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

eis

A huge +1 to the Pi.

Pi 3 has a separate wireless LAN BUS too.

Via optical (HiFiBerry) and DLNA I've not heard anything different compared to more expensive streamers. USB and HDMI though leave a lot to be desired, but both are not my favorites for audio anyways. That said I've seen it hold up very well plugged into DACs with galvanic isolation like the Chord 2Qute or when used with the likes of Regen.

Moode and MinimServer are up there with any distro or media player in terms of performance... well keeping HQP and the Bug aside at least.

Though now I use a Synology NAS with MinimServer, the Pi remains a favorite... especially for what it costs and how versatile it is.

Decide on how you actually want to use the Pi and then proceed.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

That said I've seen it hold up very well plugged into DACs with galvanic isolation like the Chord 2Qute or when used with the likes of Regen.

I use a Pi2 powered by an iFi iUSB3.0 Nano into a 2Qute. That is a pretty cost effective combination because the iUSB3.0 powers the Pi as well as reclocking the USB data into the dAC. The iUSB3.0 sounds better than just powering the Pi with a 5 volt iFi iPower, but that still works well and is even cheaper.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Pi3 in house. USB 250GB WWD HHD> Pi3> Moode> USB Emotiva XDA-1 = no sound.

I configured Moode per the setup docs from the site.

Please help an amateur

Best to post this request in the Moode Audio thread in the "Software" topic section here or the "Source and Line>PC Based" section on DIYAudio.com. Tim Curtis, Moode's developer is very helpful to users. I've very happily used it for over a year now. The latest release v2.6 is probably the best place to start.

Skip

Pi3 in house. USB 250GB WWD HHD> Pi3> Moode> USB Emotiva XDA-1 = no sound.

I configured Moode per the setup docs from the site.

Please help an amateur

Best to post this request in the Moode Audio thread in the "Software" topic section here or the "Source and Line>PC Based" section on DIYAudio.com. Tim Curtis, Moode's developer is very helpful to users. I've very happily used it for over a year now. The latest release v2.6 is probably the best place to start.

Skip

+1 to the Moode thread.

Do share some screenshots and what exactly is the error (if there is any on Moode interface). No sound can mean a lot of things.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther