IGNORED

Berkeley Alpha USB cable length recommendation?

Hi All,

According to user manual, Berkeley highly recommends using 1.5 meter length cables for both USB and AES connections. However I really have no extra space in equipment rack to run such lengthy cables without folding them into loops. So what is better for RF noise isolation - 1.5 meter cables folded into loops or short 0.5 meter cables without any loops?

As both send signals over a balanced connection I doubt it matters. If it does, without loops is better.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hi All,

According to user manual, Berkeley highly recommends using 1.5 meter length cables for both USB and AES connections. However I really have no extra space in equipment rack to run such lengthy cables without folding them into loops. So what is better for RF noise isolation - 1.5 meter cables folded into loops or short 0.5 meter cables without any loops?

This is the only case when shorter could be better :)

Roch

Ahhh! Never mind.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Recently talking to Michael at Berkeley about some questions unrelated to cable length.

But speaking more generally, he strongly stated that either of his company's DACs and the USB converter sound best with 1.5 meter digital and USB cables.

Strongly stated.

So I figure he knows a lot more about Berkeley devices than I do, so I'm just gonna stick with 1.5 meters.

Dave, who notes the Berkeley company makes no money from whatever length cable he buys and uses so in that sense is objective

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++