IGNORED

D-I-H Built LPS Project for Sonore microRendu

So, while I patiently awaited release of the Sonore microRendu, thankful for my spot in the initial queue, I followed all the news and pondered what power supply option made the most sense for me. I could afford the lowest cost iFi but longed for the higher performance of other options available at a cost over my budget. This led me to a friend who has been building his own audio gear for many years; everything from Pass First Watt DIY single ended amps to video & music DVR/servers. He is squarely camped with one foot in the DIY world and one in the audiophile world regularly participating in local audio club events so he gets regular opportunities to listen to many very high performing systems. I've always been impressed with his ability to combine solid proven engineering concepts and an open-minded but skeptical approach to many of the audio "traps" that many enthusiasts fall into.

After begging, pleading, much food & drink, etc. I talked him into taking on the D-I-H "Do It Himself" project of building me a suitable LPS to use with my microRendu. So for the benefit of anybody considering a similar approach & to motivate the builders here, you can see a description and some pics below. (No, he isn't looking to build/sell these to others!) Sorry, I am no engineer, so might not be able to answer some of your technical questions about the circuit.

Sonically, I am thrilled with the results. A significant upgrade from the adjustable Hosa wallwart that I had been using. At a cost of $185 in parts, plus a number of days of toil & sweat, I think we have the sonic equivalent of a much more expensive LPS and about as good as possible sound quality within my budget.

It also needs to be repeated that the Sonore microRendu is a remarkable achievement and I can't recommend it more highly! Thanks for reading.

Vince DiNenna’s “Ecco Audio” Linear Power Supply Design for microRendu- Linear Technologies application notes based design

- Low ESR aluminum caps.

- Static shielded Antek toroidal transformer 9v, 8 amps capable.

- Jantzen Audio 2.0mH 15 AWG Air Core Inductor Crossover Coil for filter section. (That's big.)

- Linear Technology 1084ct low dropout regulator. 3 amps capable. Adjustable.

- Hifi2000 Italian made aluminum with steel cover chasis with semi heat sink side panels & anti-vibration feet.

- DIN plug, removable DC multi-stranded copper cable.

- Black front panel, blue led on front.

- Toggle power switch on back

- IEC connector. Removable.

- Ceramic fuse.

- Modular design so that sections can be replaced.

The left module is the main filter. Inductor connects to the module on the left. Module on right is the voltage regulator circuit. It has filtering as well but for higher frequencies.

LPS 1small.png

Here you can see the voltage raised by .6 volts but the output remains at 6 volts, so voltage is being regulated.

LPS 2small.jpg

Main boards & parts mounted

LPS 3small.jpg

After mounting & wiring, time to drill

LPS 4small.jpg

Metal Work Time

LPS 5small.jpg

LPS 6small.jpeg

Build Complete — Voltage Output Tests At 7V

LPS 8small.jpg

Finished Product

LPS 9small.jpg

LPS in situ.jpg

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

The PSU seems very similar in concept to the PSU that John Swenson designed for the SBT, and also appeared in DIY Audio several years ago. A further improvement would have been to replace the Bridge Rectifier with Schottky diodes, and fit a "snubber" across the transformer secondary if not already installed.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The PSU seems very similar in concept to the PSU that John Swenson designed for the SBT, and also appeared in DIY Audio several years ago.

That would A) make perfect sense, since Vince is a frequent visitor to DIYaudio and B)make perfect sense in a sorta zen way given John's contribution to the microRendu that it's being used with.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Great info. Sometimes proven design works beyond expectation. Too bad that Vince is not willing to make one for others.

If you factored in a modest hourly rate for the work involved, the price would more than double, and commercial products then become more feasible.

It's simply not worth it for a DIY person to make things like this for others, except for friends, in which case you wouldn't normally charge them for your time either.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

If you factored in a modest hourly rate for the work involved, the price would more than double, and commercial products then become more feasible.

It's simply not worth it for a DIY person to make things like this for others, except for friends, in which case you wouldn't normally charge them for your time either.

Yeah, I agree but even at triple the price if the performance is close or equal to a high end LPS, it would be worth the savings :-) But without comparing, we don’t know how good or bad one is relative to the other.

I also recently made a custom built LPS from asia with the help of an office college and I was stumped with uRendu’s performance. The SQ is far beyond what I have heard with either iFI or 9v battery power bank that I was using so far. So yes, a good LPS is worth the investment and now I am scratching my head to figure out if it can be made even better :-)