IGNORED

Digital Concert Hall and mRendu

Am hoping those with more imagination and tech savvy than I might be able to advise me on how I might stream the following, to me, really promising concert offerings from Berlin: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/info

I watched a free benefit concert a few months ago seated in my listening chair with my laptop in front of me and a long Toslink cable connecting the MBP to my Exogal DAC. These are high quality productions and, I suspect, a great way to support a great orchestra at the cost of about 2 regular tickets for an entire year's subscription.

Tethered via Toslink is certainly a way I might continue when I become a subscriber to this site. Archived performances are streamed at a 320 rate, I believe. What I heard sounded very good.

But now that I have a mRendu powered by a LSPU, I'd like to know if there is any way to get it to play the music. Shairport comes to mind, but I haven't played with it. If I turn it on in the mR, is it supposed to show up in my MBP Sound settings?

Thanks in advance . . .

The, or one, answer: Shairport works splendidly! And the SQ is better than most of my ripped music and Tidal. If you like classical, try it for yourself for free: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/20250

If the SQ is so good, then I ask myself why, given its a lossy format. The only answer I can think of is that the Philharmonie has outstanding recording gear and setup. I imagine some would find fault with it, but what is striking is the way in which the recording captures the acoustics of the hall more generally. The sound is rich and deep, which is how I like my orchestral music. The mR helps too ;)

The only negative: the synchronization between audio and video is slightly off, which takes away a little from the experience.

So the synchronization gap between video and audio (about a second) is actually a deal breaker for anyone wanting to really watch the concerts. Certainly not the fault of the mR, of course. I'm back to the tether between MBP and DAC via Toslink. This sounds good enough, but not as good as the mR, and Battle is in sync with his crew . . .

Incidentally the Digital Concert Hall app is very good, too, and it was able to recognize the mR's airplay emulator. Cheers.

So the synchronization gap between video and audio (about a second) is actually a deal breaker for anyone wanting to really watch the concerts. Certainly not the fault of the mR, of course. I'm back to the tether between MBP and DAC via Toslink. This sounds good enough, but not as good as the mR, and Battle is in sync with his crew . . .

Incidentally the Digital Concert Hall app is very good, too, and it was able to recognize the mR's airplay emulator. Cheers.

I use an Airplay/Airport express toslink to a W4S remedy reclocker into my W4S DAC. I watch on my iPad. I do not have sound / video gap, that would be intolerable. I have been watching now for two years and have never had a problem.

If you are a classical music fan, DGH one of the all time great audio / video experiences when put through a good audio system.

BTW, I also have a subscription to Medici.TV. Another great audio / video experience with a world wide focus. Last week I watched Yuja Wang's Carnegie Hall performance. Several months ago it was the Dutoit / Argerich concert. Outstanding.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I believe this is possible using VLC to create a stream that you can then read on your local network (and through LMS).

Thank you, Hopkins. I shall look into it.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

I use an Airplay/Airport express toslink to a W4S remedy reclocker into my W4S DAC. I watch on my iPad. I do not have sound / video gap, that would be intolerable. I have been watching now for two years and have never had a problem.

If you are a classical music fan, DGH one of the all time great audio / video experiences when put through a good audio system.

BTW, I also have a subscription to Medici.TV. Another great audio / video experience with a world wide focus. Last week I watched Yuja Wang's Carnegie Hall performance. Several months ago it was the Dutoit / Argerich concert. Outstanding.

Jesus or anyone else have advice on whether the gap between video and audio when streaming via Shairport to the uR might be eliminated? Or is it just inherent in the airplay simulation? Thanks.

Yes via AirPlay. But there is a one second delay with the mRendu that doesn't occur when I run toslink from MBP directly into DAC, or when rogrigaj uses AirPlay to his AE to his DAC. If you'd like to see for yourself, I posted a link above that gets you to the free trial concert on the website. For classical lovers this is really pretty attractive. WoUld be great if uRendu was as "fast" with a simulcast as other ways to do it, since it sounds so superior.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes via AirPlay. But there is a one second delay with the mRendu that doesn't occur when I run toslink from MBP directly into DAC, or when rogrigaj (above) uses AirPlay to his AE to his DAC. If you'd like to see for yourself, I posted a link above that gets you to the free trial concert on the website. For classical lovers this is really pretty attractive. WoUld be great if uRendu was as "fast" with a simulcast as other ways to do it, since it sounds so superior.

Bump. Not a high priority issue for the mRendu, I suspect, but it might have wider significance with respect to other video uses? The latency is closer to two seconds.

Bump. Not a high priority issue for the mRendu, I suspect, but it might have wider significance with respect to other video uses? The latency is closer to two seconds.

We are planning an upgrade to this output mode, but primarily to improve its sound quality. If this also improves video / audio syncing remains to be seen.

We are planning an upgrade to this output mode, but primarily to improve its sound quality. If this also improves video / audio syncing remains to be seen.

Thanks Jesus. Appreciate your all your efforts, and if you can in the future fix this lag, would be great!

• 1 month later...
Thanks Jesus. Appreciate your all your efforts, and if you can in the future fix this lag, would be great!

We have completed the updates and would appreciate it if you could try this out. Let us know if the lag issue with this service has been corrected. Also, let us know if you here a sound quality improvement.

Please follow this upgrade procedure for the microRendu:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

We have completed the updates and would appreciate it if you could try this out. Let us know if the lag issue with this service has been corrected. Also, let us know if you here a sound quality improvement.

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

Brilliant Jesus! I ran the update and then tried Digital Concert Hall both in my MBP at their computer website and on my iPad app that DCH offers. In both cases the music is now in sync with the video. There is a slight latency between hitting 'start' and the music and video playing, but that's no big deal at all since the two are now synchronized. Likewise with stop.

As for sound quality, I'll need to do some careful listening and even then since aural memory is poor, I'm not sure I could say if its better than it was. But I can say already that it sounds excellent.

May I ask if you have established a pecking order (theoretically or actually) with respect to the SQ of the various output modes on offer by the mR? Was Shareport, until perhaps now, the least refined?

Thanks much for fixing the latency issue with this upgrade. Am looking forward to streaming more with Digital Concert Hall. For those wishing to give it a try, you'll find some free concerts in their archive of dozens if not hundreds of past concerts in the Philharmonie of Berlin!

2. Now select Update

I did the update tonight and thought I'd give Shairport a try. At first the app started fine in the App Switcher. The DAC display lit up as if music was playing, but no sound. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Shairport app but now it says "Unknown" next to the app, and Rendu doesn't appear as an option on my iPad anymore. Squeezelite is still working just fine. Any ideas?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I did the update tonight and thought I'd give Shairport a try. At first the app started fine in the App Switcher. The DAC display lit up as if music was playing, but no sound. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Shairport app but now it says "Unknown" next to the app, and Rendu doesn't appear as an option on my iPad anymore. Squeezelite is still working just fine. Any ideas?

We made a last minute change to the code so it would display the correct Shairport name and it does't start properly. I'll let you know when to update it again.

microRendu on ethernet with MacBookPro, Apple TV, iPhone and iPad on wifi. None of them see Shairport (status Unknown). No firewalls, restarted router etc. What to do?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

microRendu on ethernet with MacBookPro, Apple TV, iPhone and iPad on wifi. None of them see Shairport (status Unknown). No firewalls, restarted router etc. What to do?

That was just answered in the previous post.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

It should be all fixed now.

2. Now select Update

4. Then go to Settings / Shairport and press Save

Works!

Use with a last gen Apple TV I get get sound very slightly ahead of the TV image. Any change of a delay slider?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

• 3 months later...

Wow thanks for the information about this. I just receiver my micro rendu this week and so far I really enjoy it. Adding this airplay functionality to my system upstairs away from my home theater now allows me to listen to the Berlin Philharmonic broadcasts on my main hi-fi and the sound is really amazing considering the source! What a great little device! I don't see any mismatch between the audio and video if I am watching the broadcast on my iPad while listening on the hi-fi. Although for my system upstairs I'm probably just going to be listening rather than trying to watch.