IGNORED

Linear Power Supply for Brooklyn. Which one you've ever tried?

Keces due here today or tomorrow.  Also ordered a Canare quad/Oyaide cable for it due sometime in the next week.  Keces comes with a cable but requires an adapter to hook up to Brooklyn...so for $45 I figured that superior cable and connectors would be a good add.  

Will report findings.

Tone with Soul

3 hours ago, 57gold said:

Keces due here today or tomorrow.  Also ordered a Canare quad/Oyaide cable for it due sometime in the next week.  Keces comes with a cable but requires an adapter to hook up to Brooklyn...so for $45 I figured that superior cable and connectors would be a good add.  

Will report findings.

Anxiously awaiting !! :) 

I hope nobody minds my cross-posting of something written today by another of the more than 50 Brooklyn DAC owners who bought a JS-2 in 2017.  Perhaps the nice folks at Mytek will be kind enough to include the choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp JS-2 in the list of 3rd-party LPS on the Brooklyn web page.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/20528-js-2-power-supply-installed/?do=findComment&comment=761213

H-Man said:
I received my JS-2 a month ago following superb service from Alex.

What can I say that has not already been said? Right now Bob Dylan is in my living room playing Don't think twice, It's All Right from Tidal over the Ultra Rendu (powered by LPS-1) to the Brooklyn DAC powered by the JS-2, into my MBL amps and speakers and it is the first time that my digital front end does not make me long back to my original vinyl pressing. It is simply sublime. Many have spoken about reduced noise floor etc and it is quite noticeable but what has me in awe is the improved timing and drive in the music. The combination of reduced noise floor and improved timing makes extremely fine details in the music easy to pick out and appreciate, details that were more "noise" before are now clear and important parts of the score. I have enjoyed more music in the last month than in a long time. 

That a power supply used on the DAC could have this kind of impact is way beyond what I could have guessed. I realise that milage can vary and can be dependant on the rest of the system but for me this is one of the most important purchases I have done. The JS-2 has my utmost sincere recommendation. Thank you Alex and John for a great product!

/Henrik

On 1/2/2018 at 9:47 AM, 57gold said:

Will report findings.

Did you get your cables from Ghent? I just received 4 of them, two each of the 2.1 and 2.5 mm, for use with a HDPlex 200. They are really nice! - Highly recommend checking out what Ghentaudio might have for your DC cable needs.  I don't doubt that there are better supplies out there but since I'll be powering 4 or 5 different things (don't have a Brooklyn yet) I'm pleased with the cost / performance ratio of the HDPlex.

The DC cables:

• XLR Polarity: Pin-1(GND), Pin-2(+), Pin-3(Not used)
  • Oyaide DC-2.1G/2.5G to Neutrik 3-pin XLR(Female) Interconnect Canare 4S6 HIFI Power Supply Cable, Single(1pc)
  • Purely handmade craftwork, genuine material and solid substance
  • Cable: Canare 4S6 Star Quad, OD 6.4mm, 4 conductors x 20AWG/cond
  • Connector: Oyaide DC-2.1G/DC-2.5G plug, Neutrik 3-pin golden-plated XLR(Female)
  • Solder: Lead free, Rosin Core with 3% Silver, 0.5% Copper and Tin
18 hours ago, mfsoa said:

Did you get your cables from Ghent? I just received 4 of them, two each of the 2.1 and 2.5 mm, for use with a HDPlex 200. They are really nice! - Highly recommend checking out what Ghentaudio might have for your DC cable needs.  I don't doubt that there are better supplies out there but since I'll be powering 4 or 5 different things (don't have a Brooklyn yet) I'm pleased with the cost / performance ratio of the HDPlex.

The DC cables:

• XLR Polarity: Pin-1(GND), Pin-2(+), Pin-3(Not used)
  • Oyaide DC-2.1G/2.5G to Neutrik 3-pin XLR(Female) Interconnect Canare 4S6 HIFI Power Supply Cable, Single(1pc)
  • Purely handmade craftwork, genuine material and solid substance
  • Cable: Canare 4S6 Star Quad, OD 6.4mm, 4 conductors x 20AWG/cond
  • Connector: Oyaide DC-2.1G/DC-2.5G plug, Neutrik 3-pin golden-plated XLR(Female)
  • Solder: Lead free, Rosin Core with 3% Silver, 0.5% Copper and Tin

I agree the Ghent cables are really nice and a good value to performance ratio! 

Everyone else selling “Audiophile” DC Cables are charging like $100 to $300 USD per cable, for $25-$30 per cable, the Ghent cables seem well made and with good Canare wire and Oyiade connectors. 

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

I hooked the PS-2 up to the DAC+

It's a JS-2.  The JS is the design engineer John Swenson.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

I am in the process of updating my whole digital front end with a new computer and connection methodology.  One of the first steps in my mind is getting great power to the devices.  Since I will be using a 2014 MacMini I wanted to be able to power the Mac with a better supply. A few days agoI decided to purchase an PS-2 to power both my Mytek DAC+ and my new MacMini.  I was very fortunate that  @Superdad had one in stock.:)!  After a few hours of getting it back to room temperature (there is a lot of mass in that little box)  I hooked the PS-2 up to the DAC+  And moved the Transparent High Performance Power cord from the DAC to the power supply.  This gives me a quick method test between the two power supplies.  

After about two hours I started listening to the system and I am really amazed.  While have not spent enough time to fully articulate my findings but one particular album of mine has just completely come alive and that is Rodrigo Y Gabriella.  It is like the stage is in my living room and the guitars are REAL.  The change is astounding.  I am not sure why this one album is so improved but WOW.  I am running through some of my favorite music and I am finding a greater presence and more detail.  I am switching between the HD800 headphones and the speakers to get a better feel.  

I will do some A/B testing with some other folks this week to see how we all feel.  Right now for me “Two Thumbs Up!”

OK I cannot proof read.  As others have pointed out the powersupply is the JS-2. I do not know why I cannot edit my own posts a hour later but oh well..  Many apologetic words to the folks here for my poor editing abilities.  

Initial report on Keces DC-116:  Have it hooked up to the B+ with supplied cable with 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapter, the Ghent is with the US Post and should be here soon.  Here is what I'm hearing versus plugging B+ into wall with a Virtual Dynamics Cable:

• a reduction in grain;
  • more defined, pitch-specific bass;
  • improved clarity and definition in high frequencies - chimes, bells, cymbals sound like they are in the room;
  • better perception of depth in soundstage; and
  • blacker background.

All positive, no negatives that I can find.  B+ plugged into wall sounded great and dynamic.  These improvements are individually small and incremental, but add up to a nice increase in musicality for @$350.  FWIW, the unit is solid, well-built and good looking for an LPS and US distributor is good to work with.

Wonder if Ghent cable will add to a pretty good situation?  Will report either way.

Also read a review from Germany that the bigger Keces, with like 12 amps of current capacity, lifts the B+'s performance to an ever greater degree versus the 6 amp capable DC-116.  I do not need more bass in my room, which is kind of small for the Aerial 10Ts that do bass right, which is where I imagine a bigger LPS would show its stuff.

Tone with Soul

Ghent cable 2.1mm to 2.5mm Canare quad makes a difference.  Deeper bass and greater dynamics versus the molded give away.  The 2.5mm end did not seem to want to fit the B+, but with a little ProGold contact stuff as a lubricant and the absolute perfect angle of entry with some force it slipped on the post of the B+.

Keces is impacted by power cable feeding it.  A heavy 10 gauge Cullen Red Copper powering the Keces seems to bring huge depth to bass of B+ versus the Virtual Dynamics...as with many of these issues different but not necessarily better.  Have a bunch of rock, blues, Americana that the Cullen adds boogie factor to.  Virtual Dynamics adds a sense of delicacy/detail, so more air around players on a well-recorded acoustic jazz album.  May order a Cullen Crossover model, which may bridge this gap.

Also note a break in period for Keces, seems to need to be used for days to fully show its stuff.  Not sure why, but seems so.

Tone with Soul

I bought an Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12v-13.2v for my Brooklyn DAC+ from Amazon for $375 shipped. Arrived in four days. This was the very last improvement I made to my system. Kenzie tube amp with input transformer mod and excellent cables already in place. I considered a JS-2 but I just could not convince myself to buy a $1000 LPS for a $2200 DAC+. YMMV. I do all my listening over HD800S phones. I note similar improvements as mentioned by 57gold for the Keces and am using the stock power cable supplied with the Sbooster. I consider the $375 well spent and would buy again.

42 minutes ago, exdmd said:

I bought an Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12v-13.2v for my Brooklyn DAC+ from Amazon for $375 shipped. Arrived in four days. This was the very last improvement I made to my system. Kenzie tube amp with input transformer mod and excellent cables already in place. I considered a JS-2 but I just could not convince myself to buy a $1000 LPS for a $2200 DAC+. YMMV. I do all my listening over HD800S phones. I note similar improvements as mentioned by 57gold for the Keces and am using the stock power cable supplied with the Sbooster. I consider the $375 well spent and would buy again.

Have you tried it on the 13.2v setting as well?

I have the same one on it's way and also a Fidelizer Nikola, so will try both.

Anyone feeding their LPSU from a mains regenerator? I have one so will likely do so, or at least try it.

1 hour ago, exdmd said:

This was the very last improvement I made to my system.

:)

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

6 hours ago, mfin said:

Have you tried it on the 13.2v setting as well?

I have the same one on it's way and also a Fidelizer Nikola, so will try both.

Anyone feeding their LPSU from a mains regenerator? I have one so will likely do so, or at least try it.

Yes I heard about possible improvements from the 13.2v setting but would like to hear approval from Mytek before a change that might void the warranty. Perhaps I am being overly careful.

13 hours ago, exdmd said:

Yes I heard about possible improvements from the 13.2v setting but would like to hear approval from Mytek before a change that might void the warranty. Perhaps I am being overly careful.

Please remeber folks, there are no chips in the DAC that run even from 12V.  The input voltage to the unit gets dropped down by multiple linear (hopefully) regulators—to 3.3V, 1.1V, etc.

So assuming linear regulators are used, all excess input voltage is simply turned into wasted heat—from the regulators—and conducted to the circuit board.  

DACs do sound better once their clocks are warm and stable (24 hours is nice). 

So the only possible reason I can imagine for someone preferring the SQ better from powering the DAC with an extra volt or so would be that it gets the clocks warm quicker from cold turn on.

Better to just provide 12V (less total heat) and keep the DAC on all the time.  :)

15 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Strange that all my linear power supplies outperform the switching ones (sound wise) ...

Don't understand your remark. We are talking about the internal power rails of the Brooklyn DAC, which are switching DC-DC converters, in relation to Alex's remark about the output voltage setting of our 12-13.2V linear power supply. We are not talking about external switching power supplies.

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

2 hours ago, Karin said:

Hello Alex,

The internal power rails of the Mytek Brooklyn DAC are designed with (switching) DC-DC converters, instead of linear regulators. An advantage of DC-DC converters is that the input voltage is flexible, in case of the Brooklyn DAC, the unit runs on an input voltage of 7V – 14V according to the official specifications.

Another advantage of a DC-DC converter circuit compared to a linear regulated power circuit is that the input voltage has barely effect on the temperature rise of the DC-DC converter circuit resp. the audio device. We have published in the past two technical posts with detailed information on the Brooklyn DAC and the working of DC-DC converters compared to linear regulators. The posts can be found here; 
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/25353-mytek-new-dac-brooklyn/?do=findComment&comment=516823
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/25353-mytek-new-dac-brooklyn/?do=findComment&comment=519074

Although from a technical point of view it should not matter which input voltage is used for an audio device which is equipped with DC-DC converters, sound wise there can be a nice difference in performance when the input voltage is changed to a lower or higher value. We give three examples:

1. Auralic Aries range, these devices perform a bit better on 15V compared to 16V
  2. SoTM sMS-200, this unit performs better on 12V compared to 9V
  3. Mytek Brooklyn, most users prefer 13.2V compared to 12V with this unit.

Furthermore, and interesting to know for @exdmd,  regarding the 13.2V setting: at Axpona 2016 we have met the guys from Mytek and we talked about the combination of our products. Mytek checked out one of our power supplies. It is their recommendation to set the BOTW P&P ECO 12-13.2V on 13.2V as DC output setting for the best performance.

Thank you for your attention.

Regards, 

Karin

nice. Set my Sbooster to 13.2 on my DAC+. Very happy with the positive results.

Interesting that sBooster, with ability to deliver @2.5 amps, versus Mytek recommended 5+amps ( more the better) do a good job/improves sonics.  I must have something wrong on this front?

Started thinking about how these LPS for audio gear would enhance the response and tone of the digital reverb, delay, chorus and other guitar effects I use.  These effects do not draw much current, most 100mA to 400mA at 9V, 12V or 18V.  The folks who build the effects supplies have multiple outputs (6-12), each regulated, isolated and adjustable.  A good one makes a big difference in quality of the effect in question...guess these audio ones would be huge overkill, and they certainly aren't portable for onstage at the local bar!

Tone with Soul

31 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Interesting that sBooster, with ability to deliver @2.5 amps, versus Mytek recommended 5+amps ( more the better) do a good job/improves sonics.  I must have something wrong on this front?

Started thinking about how these LPS for audio gear would enhance the response and tone of the digital reverb, delay, chorus and other guitar effects I use.  These effects do not draw much current, most 100mA to 400mA at 9V, 12V or 18V.  The folks who build the effects supplies have multiple outputs (6-12), each regulated, isolated and adjustable.  A good one makes a big difference in quality of the effect in question...guess these audio ones would be huge overkill, and they certainly aren't portable for onstage at the local bar!

If LPSUs could be used to give most pub guitarists some musical taste then I'd take one every time I went to see a band and offer to lend it to them for the night in return for them just promising not to play Brown Eyed Girl, or murder a Killers song.