IGNORED

Linear Power Supply for Brooklyn. Which one you've ever tried?

3 hours ago, rayl1234 said:

I have never experimented with hooking up a separate supply for audio gear before, so this may sound naive.

I would be tempted to have more faith in a lab supply.  5A is standard for the up to 18VDC, which would be more wattage than the included 30 watt supply (i.e. > 2.5A at 12V).  While a low transient recovery time supply cost more than the HDPLEX, it certainly costs less than the JS-2.

E.g. a Kikusui PMC-18-5 is around $525 and has a 50 microsecond transient recovery time with 5mv output regulation (0.5 mV ripple).

When given the option, I tend to trust the manufacturing processes and testing/controls of reputed lab equipment houses more....

I've read elsewhere that the Astron Linear Power Supplies sound really good with the Brooklyn also?? They're very reasonably priced and made in the USA ($130-$300 range depending on max wattage). 

I have a few HDPlex 100W's in my system

now but I'm curious to try either a JS2 or a Vinnie Rossi, I suspect (as I've been told from others) that these two power supply's best the HDPlex 100w (at 3 times the price, they should!)

although the review I read online recently of the Brooklyn did specify that they went from HDPlex to the Astron and the Astron was significantly better, so I'll also bet the $525 Lab model you mention is probably good too? 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, exdmd said:

Any reviews of the Sbooster LPS used with the Brooklyn DAC? Costs $375 on Amazon wondering if anyone has compared it to the higher priced LPS like JS-2.

Hi exdmd,

Here are some reviews and a showreports:

http://hifipig.com/sbooster-best-of-two-worlds-power-precision-eco-botw-power-supplies/

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/11/getting-high-on-my-own-sbooster-power-supply/

http://www.headphoneer.com/mytek-brooklyn-dac/

http://www.standardcandle.org/2017/04/03/sbooster-botw-pp-eco-review/

https://www.hifistatement.net/tests/item/1712-mytek-brooklyn-mit-sbooster-botw-bryston-buc-1-und-audiobyte-hydra-z

The reviews are on the Mytek, but also include other products like the Auralic Aries, Hydra Z and Sonore Ultrarendu. 

Enjoy!

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

22 hours ago, Monge said:

Hi Karin,

Now that you are here I want to hear what the SBooster 2.1 mm single unit is supposed to do and how?

Which caps inside?

I have 3 of these single units In a drawer. 

Thanks In advance.

Regards Monge

42CB0DDF-7106-4971-BCF3-ED58CC8523E7.jpeg

Hello Monge,

The Sbooster Single Unit is an passive filter to enhance the performance of SMPS power supplies. You simply connect the Sbooster Single Unit between your audio/network device and the SMPS power supply and the power is conditioned before it enters the device.

The single unit is discontinued and can be used with SMPS power supplies up to 24V – 3A.

Regards,

Wiebren

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 11:59 AM, exdmd said:

There is a new LPS which will work with the Brooklyn from Keces Audio US for $600. Looks well built and reviews are good tempted to pull the plug and buy one. A few hundred more than Sbooster but I never cared for looks of that one. P-8 also has dual volrage output.

Keces_P-8_3-1140x720.jpg

I’d like to find / read some more reviews of this LPSU. The review you linked to was comparing this Keces PS8 to the Keces 116 (which is half the price of the Keces PS8). 

My curiosity is how does it compare to other brand power supplies like the Uptone JS-2, the HDPlex 200W, The SBooster, etc. 

I currently use an HDPLEX 100W and I think there are probably better alternatives out there (most cost $1,000+ besides the SBooster and HDPlex, both of which are around $399, so something in the middle price range (like this at $599), that performed as well as the $1,000+ One’s would be welcomed!   

It appears you are on other forums in which you pop into threads, talk about a power supply you're starting to build or that you've built, you show pictures and specs of the power supply, people show their interest and ask if they can buy the PSU, and you always answer yes, that is possible, send me a pm.

I'm all for you building and selling stuff people want, but you have to play by the rules of the site.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It appears you are on other forums in which you pop into threads, talk about a power supply you're starting to build or that you've built, you show pictures and specs of the power supply, people show their interest and ask if they can buy the PSU, and you always answer yes, that is possible, send me a pm.

I'm all for you building and selling stuff people want, but you have to play by the rules of the site.

I don't know which other forums you know where i ALWAYS say yes to make LPS!

I'm on one other forum (Dutch) where i show for example my lps's and build some only for people who are asked about it (i never ever promoted my LPS and say you can buy it from me).

But it's not true that i'm selling it to anyone who ask about it !

You're an admin, please read my email (pm) and you will see that i'm right and not selling it outside my own country.

As i said before i'm not an manufacturer but only an enthusiast about good lps.

For the people who know me (not here on this forum where i've never ever sells an LPS before) knows that i hardly makes no money on the ones i made. I did it for whole other reasons i won't discuss it here.

A company wants to make money, i did it for let's say 'fun', that's all i can say about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered one of these Keces DC-116 after checking with US rep on difference between it and P-8.  US rep said that If I only planned on using LPS for Mytek Brooklyn+, no reason to spend the extra $300 on the P-8, which is designed to power two high current components and has a meter.  Same basic circuit, parts quality, performance with both units, just like almost twice the current capability with the P-8.  

6 amps ought to be sufficient for the Brooklyn+.  We'll see in a week or so.

Tone with Soul

6 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Ordered one of these Keces DC-116 after checking with US rep on difference between it and P-8.  US rep said that If I only planned on using LPS for Mytek Brooklyn+, no reason to spend the extra $300 on the P-8, which is designed to power two high current components and has a meter.  Same basic circuit, parts quality, performance with both units, just like almost twice the current capability with the P-8.  

6 amps ought to be sufficient for the Brooklyn+.  We'll see in a week or so.

Keep us posted on how it sounds! 

Im definitely looking to upgrade my HDPlex. 

I’m sure I would be happy with the Uptone JS-2, I’m just looking for something lower priced if possible.