IGNORED

Audirvana Direct Mode?

jolon

What is your opinion of A+ Direct Mode?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

Well I remember for the longest time Direct Mode with El Capitan was causing A+ problems. I watch the Forum closely and never seen a post saying Direct Mode is now ok in El Capitan. I just hate using very old OS's like Yosemite.

Some have troubles with their DAC, but not fault of Direct Mode in A+.

You just have to install 10.11.6 and A+, and Direct Mode will be their like in Yosemite nothing change...

after 10.11.6 it will not be in the options of A+... you will have to trick your computer, so stay at 10.11.6 for the moment  :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

11 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

What kind of faults are they having and what to look out for?

I don't know, maybe DAC need new driver ??, mine has no driver so no trouble :)

if it works with Yosemite, it should be the same with El Capitan...

Back up Yosemite system before then if something happen you revert back.

just install 10.11.6, plug your DAC and continu enjoying A+ with Direct Mode  :)

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

• 10 months later...

Has the latest 'Security Update 2018-001 High Sierra' broken the ability to restore DM for anyone else?

Tried a couple of times to restore using the El Capitan kext file to no avail.

iMac i5 w/ ROON > HP Stream w/ Fidelizer > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 DDC > ABBAS DAC3.1SE > Line Magnetic LM-518IA > Altec 604-8G in Custom 350L Cabinets + REL R-528

5 minutes ago, leggoslave said:

Has the latest 'Security Update 2018-001 High Sierra' broken the ability to restore DM for anyone else?

Tried a couple of times to restore using the El Capitan kext file to no avail.

nope...still all good with 10.14.1

1 minute ago, RunHomeSlow said:

nope...still all good with 10.14.1

Appreciate the quick reply RHS..and great that it's working in Mojave. Have you tested it in the latest High Sierra (10.13.6) by any chance?

iMac i5 w/ ROON > HP Stream w/ Fidelizer > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 DDC > ABBAS DAC3.1SE > Line Magnetic LM-518IA > Altec 604-8G in Custom 350L Cabinets + REL R-528

6 minutes ago, leggoslave said:

Appreciate the quick reply RHS..and great that it's working in Mojave. Have you tested it in the latest High Sierra (10.13.6) by any chance?

Mmm, can't really be sure if i latest tested with 10.13.5 or last 10.13.6, but if it is still going well with 10.14 and 10.14.1, i can't see why it will not work with 10.13.6, but with Apple, anything could happen... just upgrade to Mojave :)

1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Mmm, can't really be sure if i latest tested with 10.13.5 or last 10.13.6, but if it is still going well with 10.14 and 10.14.1, i can't see why it will not work with 10.13.6, but with Apple, anything could happen... just upgrade to Mojave :)

My mac isn't upgradeable unfortunately.?

23 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I didn't know it had changed with the new update, so I went ahead and made the change, again... and it worked just fine in 10.13.6

Ok, thanks for this. I'm probably doing something wrong then.

Success!

I keep forgetting that System Audio is really fussy and effects Exclusive Access mode in A+ -- even if using a separate DAC/Soundcard etc..

I'd had Loopback audio software assigned as output in System Audio and that was preventing exclusive access/DM from being optionable in Audirvana.

Selecting  >> System Preferences  > Sound > Output > Internal Speakers >> did the trick.

Cheers for your help above guys.

• 2 years later...
On 11/1/2018 at 10:39 PM, RunHomeSlow said:

So sorry to revive such an old thread, but I recently had to upgrade my SSD in my MacBook Pro, which meant having to update the OS to 10.14.6 (Mojave). I've tried to re-enable Direct Mode, but the Onyx that is compatible with Mojave no longer has the option to repair permissions. I've tried downloading earlier versions, but they don't run on 10.14. How did you go about getting Onyx to repair permissions on 10.14? That's the step I'm stuck on, and not surprisingly, my audio isn't working at the moment.

• 9 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 6:22 AM, RunHomeSlow said:

Forgot to follow-up and say this worked perfectly! Was using over the past year, but I just got a new MacBook Air, and was wondering if there is a way to get Direct Mode enabled on either Big Sur or Monterey OS? Thanks again for your help over the years (literally!).

Not to my knowledge. It stop at half of Catalina if i remember, then, i think, Apple change something in the security of that music .ktext and i stopped using it (i never heard a real difference anyway on my system). Someone said he succeeded with Big Sur on Audirvana Forum, but never answered questions after :)

https://community.audirvana.com/t/direct-mode-in-big-sur/19689

16 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Not to my knowledge. It stop at half of Catalina if i remember, then, i think, Apple change something in the security of that music .ktext and i stopped using it (i never heard a real difference anyway on my system). Someone said he succeeded with Big Sur on Audirvana Forum, but never answered questions after :)

https://community.audirvana.com/t/direct-mode-in-big-sur/19689

Thank you so much for the quick response, and for providing the link to that thread. I've posted asking for updates. I am not certain I can hear a difference either, but I enjoy having the option to use it if possible.