IGNORED

Audirvana Direct Mode?

jolon

What is your opinion of A+ Direct Mode?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

So, I successfully completed this process once before, but I made the mistake of updating to the most recent version of Sierra (10.12.6 (16G29)), and after going through the steps, my computer's audio does not work whatsoever. One of the things that seemed different during this latest attempt was that I was asked if I wanted to replace the existing audio kernel in the system/library/extensions folder. I selected "Replace" and then I received an error message shortly thereafter saying that it was installed incorrectly, and now I can't hear any sounds from my computer, nor use the volume control. Any suggestions?

I noticed that Onyx no longer has repair permissions, so perhaps this relates to the problem in some way.

This is the error message I received when I tried to copy the El Capitan kext file into the extensions folder:

"The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update."

4 hours ago, Chipless said:

This is the error message I received when I tried to copy the El Capitan kext file into the extensions folder:

"The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update."

Did you follow the recipy and done the repair permission with onyx after? Most important thing to do... itis still working with beta high sierra, so must be on your side ?

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

9 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Did you follow the recipy and done the repair permission with onyx after? Most important thing to do... itis still working with beta high sierra, so must be on your side ?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I followed it exactly, but I couldn't repair with Onyx because Onyx no longer has the option to repair permissions in their latest version (which is the only one available from their site). So, I used CleanMyMac 3 to repair the permissions. I am confused because I was able to get it to work once before. Is the prompt to replace the kernel normal?

16 minutes ago, Chipless said:

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I followed it exactly, but I couldn't repair with Onyx because Onyx no longer has the option to repair permissions in their latest version (which is the only one available from their site). So, I used CleanMyMac 3 to repair the permissions. I am confused because I was able to get it to work once before. Is the prompt to replace the kernel normal?

Yes because there is one already in there...

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

1 minute ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Yes because there is one already in there...

Makes sense, I just didn't remember that prompt last time, so I wanted to double check. Any ideas on how to use Onyx to repair permissions now that they've (Onyx) removed that function?

15 minutes ago, Chipless said:

Makes sense, I just didn't remember that prompt last time, so I wanted to double check. Any ideas on how to use Onyx to repair permissions now that they've (Onyx) removed that function?

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-onyx/9046/

choose the version you want...

9 minutes ago, Chipless said:

Everything works again! I really appreciate your help

Glad it helps you.

Now make a clone backup of your system since everything is up to date...

This should be pretty much the last Sierra update :)

• 4 months later...

Has this stopped working for anyone else after the latest security update (2017-001) in High Sierra?

I have performed the whole kext replacement process twice now with a fresh install of Audirvana as well and can't get Direct Mode to work.

I can select Direct Mode on its own but don't get the nested Mode 1 or 2 option...the track loads and plays fine. Is this still Direct Mode?

Or I can select Integer Mode together with Exclusive Mode and that plays fine.

However when I select Exclusive, Integer and Direct the track loads into memory in Audirvana but will not play.

iMac i5 w/ ROON > HP Stream w/ Fidelizer > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 DDC > ABBAS DAC3.1SE > Line Magnetic LM-518IA > Altec 604-8G in Custom 350L Cabinets + REL R-528

I was already with 10.13.1 and applied the security update already with 3.1.8 Direct Mode On. Still on.

The three prefs are on and working, but i didn't installed .ktext since security update, waiting for 10.13.2

Unchecking Exclusive Access remove Integer Mode and Integer options.

Unchecking Direct Mode remove option of Integer Mode 1 and 2, but Integer Mode still on.

Unchecking Integer Mode just remove that and its options 1 and 2

Thanks for the reply RHS. I managed to get it going. I think A+ gets itself into a muddle sometimes and won't play in DM although it's available.

Your post about unchecking the various options got me thinking that unchecking all the options is like a reset. So I did just that and then started checking them on one by one.

First the Exclusive Mode only was checked and the program restarted.

I then added Direct Mode to Exclusive mode and restarted.

Finally i checked Integer Mode together with EM and DM and got the nested mode 1&2 options ..and the track finally played.

I'm not sure if it was the sequence or just unchecking all the options as a soft reset or both that got it to work.

iMac i5 w/ ROON > HP Stream w/ Fidelizer > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 DDC > ABBAS DAC3.1SE > Line Magnetic LM-518IA > Altec 604-8G in Custom 350L Cabinets + REL R-528

22 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Unchecking Direct Mode remove option of Integer Mode 1 and 2, but Integer Mode still on.

Same here. But I don't understand why DM must be ON in order to have IM options? Could somebody explain, please? Thanks.

MacMini 2018 OS 10.14 | XLD | Yate | iTunes 10.7 | Audirvana 3.5.50 | RME ADI-2 DAC fs | Bryston BHA-1 | Hifiman Arya

3 hours ago, Nico said:

Same here. But I don't understand why DM must be ON in order to have IM options? Could somebody explain, please? Thanks.

I might be saying wrong, just guessing...

maybe when Direct Mode not choose, you are on your DAC (driver) integer Mode only, so maybe this why no choice for 1 or 2 provided by A+

Just an update on my engaging DM travails. I believe I've found the culprit and it's simply the fact that the Preferred Audio Device ie, the DAC or DDC in A+ demands exclusive access and cannot share duties with say System Audio. So make sure another device is assigned to output system audio in System Preferences Sound or in Audio Midi Setup.

So the sequential checking of boxes in my post above appears an utterly false solution now and should be dismissed.

This is just an update of the link (that was not working) for patching A+ direct Mode in High Sierra

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3tdd82o79ps7c1/AudirvanaHighSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

On 3/16/2017 at 3:37 PM, RunHomeSlow said:

For sure it is not a malware... it is still working with 10.12.4, many have installed it with no problem, and i have direct Mode on with A+ v3... you surely didn't follow it exactly or done all that was written... you can check also on audirvana forum that others there installed it without problem... Sorry for you.

Since DropBox change is settings the link doesn't work since yesterday, here is the new one for those who wants it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Thanks, where do I put the  IOAudioFamily.kext file?

I'm just going to go as far as El Capitan not Sierra but in any case if I did upgrade to Sierra do I need to do this for each and every upgrade to Sierra?

6 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

Thanks, where do I put the  IOAudioFamily.kext file?

I'm just going to go as far as El Capitan not Sierra but in any case if I did upgrade to Sierra do I need to do this for each and every upgrade to Sierra?

You don't need that for El Capitan.

If you upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra and want absolutely Direct Mode On, you'll need to read the text file.

9 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

if I did upgrade to Sierra do I need to do this for each and every upgrade to Sierra?

Yes

I stopped at 10.13.1, i don't find much difference with my DAC if i don't have Direct Mode on...

6 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

The reason for my confusion (is my age;) but the read me file is labeled "Sierra Direct Mode Enable" and I'm not going to go that far just El Capitan 10.11.6 so I just do all that in that read me file?

NO... you do nothing.

Direct Mode in El Capitan is OK...

trash the .ktext and the text file, you don't need it.