IGNORED

Audirvana Direct Mode?

jolon

What is your opinion of A+ Direct Mode?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some of you are being a bit too melodramatic. The process of installing an old kext (kernel extension) file to allow enabling "Direct Mode" in Sierra is not all that difficult and, even if done incorrectly, can be fixed by doing it correctly. You guys don't seem to understand kernel extensions and how Unix systems work and fail. Nor is it a big deal disabling and enabling "System Integrity Protection".

Kexts run in supervisor mode so they do any more damage to the kernel that an application can. So you won't corrupt the operations system trying to change kexts even if you do it wrong. Doing it right will fix it!

If you don't fell comfortable changing the kext, don't do it. But let's not scare people with outcomes that won't happen.

22 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Some of you are being a bit too melodramatic. The process of installing an old kext (kernel extension) file to allow enabling "Direct Mode" in Sierra is not all that difficult and, even if done incorrectly, can be fixed by doing it correctly. You guys don't seem to understand kernel extensions and how Unix systems work and fail. Nor is it a big deal disabling and enabling "System Integrity Protection".

Kexts run in supervisor mode so they do any more damage to the kernel that an application can. So you won't corrupt the operations system trying to change kexts even if you do it wrong. Doing it right will fix it!

If you don't fell comfortable changing the kext, don't do it. But let's not scare people with outcomes that won't happen.

Right, but OTOH you might want to look (when site links work again) at some of the old OS optimization threads, where people rushed to make changes without doing simple easy stuff like reading thoroughly or making a current backup, and we were then treated to posts of the "Wah, you said this would make things sound better and now my computer doesn't work!" variety.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

Uh, no. Whether or not YOU feel comfortable with tweaking the contents of your operating system, doesn't mean you should recommend it to others. People should not feel comfortable following instructions from random sites they see on the internet and installing system level libraries from some rando-user's dropbox accounts.

That is terrible security policy and you're advocating users do terrible things. Have a little sense.

If you are using your Mac as a dedicated music server, and are desperate to have Direct Mode, why even run the more recent OSX versions? All they do is consume more system resources, and they don't sound any better than previous versions. I stuck with Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.8) until Damien dropped support for it. I've since "updated" to Mavericks (OSX 10.9.5), which works just fine.

If you need to run Sierra or El Capitan for ancillary computer use, why not install a separate partition with the older OSX for music playback, and have only your music apps on there? Personally, I wouldn't be hacking my OSX just to use Direct Mode, which doesn't sound appreciably different than Core Audio, anyway.

Some people here are always trying to squeeze that nebulous 1% increase in SQ out of their rig, only to eventually realize that it's not worth the time and/or money.

I am fine using Terminal, and I was able to get Direct Mode working in Sierra after my previous attempt did not work. I think changing file permissions and using OnyX are key.

But, darned if I can hear an audio difference.

Whether it was worth messing with the OS is certainly worth considering. Readers of this forum are more likely to be comfortable doing so than a typical user.

12 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Give me a break. Terrible things? Stop being a drama queen. I used to work at Apple Corporate doing Tier 3 and Tier 4 support for the operating system. As an Apple engineer I would have to tell you not to do this. But, I know that using a older audio kext file in this way would have minimal potential negative impact.

If you are comfortable using the Unix command line interface and can follow instructions, it's not a big deal. If you aren't comfortable, leave it alone.

I totally agree with you, and up-voted you (or whatever it was called), but I had to turn off PM for awhile after getting piles of messages from people (some even offering to pay me), asking me to unfuck their computer after blindly running (usually commercial) "system optimization" shell-scripts that they didn't even read, let alone know how to back out of.

Kernel panic on my hackintosh when trying to reboot in recovery mode, so I don't insist with direct mode (not sure it would be even useful)

...other installed kexts are working fine, thank you :)

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

i was just about posting a new edited text version to be more clearly for people not to sure about playing with this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

There is nothing in that .zip file that can harm if you not trusting these just use the Text file for reading

and use the .ktext from your computer.

If it just changes 1% for the better why not if people want...

Even if i write at 36 points the typo... if someone don't follow, i can't do much about this...

There is more risk playing with Flash Player than that i think.  :-)

Again, all is good with the release macOS Sierra 10.12.4

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

12 minutes ago, Yucca06 said:

Kernel panic on my hackintosh when trying to reboot in recovery mode, so I don't insist with direct mode (not sure it would be even useful)

...other installed kexts are working fine, thank you :)

You did the Onyx step i'm sure...

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Hum...yes.

So tell me more.

(I just can't boot on recovery mode, and use Onyx for years...)

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

6 minutes ago, Yucca06 said:

Hum...yes.

So tell me more.

(I just can't boot on recovery mode, and use Onyx for years...)

Maybe is different for hackintosh ?

i just made the text easier... not an expert on that ?

...will try again, but recovery mode seems not to work for my hackintosh. I regret to have installed Sierra, but too late...

Anyway, your tutorial is perfect for "genuine" Mac users.

4 minutes ago, Yucca06 said:

...will try again, but recovery mode seems not to work for my hackintosh. I regret to have installed Sierra, but too late...

Anyway, your tutorial is perfect for "genuine" Mac users.

I've never used a Hackintosh, but you should be able to get into single-user (root command-line) mode by rebooting while holding down the command and s keys.

Then mount the drive,

fsck –fy
mount –uw /

and 

cd /System/Library/Extensions

remove the offending kernel extension and replace it with the one you hopefully backed up.  (If you didn't, just remove the offending one and hope it boots now.)

Guys: How are you getting A+ to work in Direct Mode? I get an error message.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

1 minute ago, Speed Racer said:

Wow.....

lol

miguelito read the text again i changed it just for you today  :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

I apologize... I didn't get to the part where I had to put my hand in my mac's butt. Sorry! :)

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

4 minutes ago, robcee said:

That is why you can replace the one in Sierra by the one you own (in your El Capitan system) if you don't trust :)

5 hours ago, robcee said:

Since this procedure replaces one Apple kernel extension with another, can you perform the public service of letting us know which OS Apple meant to take over our lives and information with?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 months later...