IGNORED

Audirvana Direct Mode?

jolon

What is your opinion of A+ Direct Mode?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've used Audirvana on and off for a few years and usually have as many options turned on as possible.

Over the time I've noticed sometimes the sound can be a bit bright or harsh and I've noticed it seems to back off a bit with Direct Mode switched off. I've generally thought that's probably because it is not getting as a good a signal with it switch off, and perhaps because of expectation bias I leave it turned on. But the last 24 hours I've been doing DSD comparisons and I noticed that I can actually hear more detail with Direct Mode switched off with the Resonessence Herus.

I haven't read many opinions about whether people generally have Direct Mode switched on or not. I would be interested to hear other people's experiences.

With Direct Mode on, it feels like the DAC is being slightly overdriven, initially it sounds quite a bit better, but it is a bit like an overexposed photo where the detail is harder to see (that's the best analogy I could think of!).

Folks have different systems and will hear and like different things. I prefer the sound with Direct Mode, but that's just me.

(Direct Mode is essentially a custom "audiophile" driver Damien coded to take the place of the OS X Core Audio driver.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Under different iZotope settings, I preferred to leave Direct Mode off. But after reading how most kept it on, I experimented with different iZotope settings. I ended up with better sound tweaking iZotope while keeping Direct Mode on.

But yet to try in DSD... (Still waiting for my new toy to arrive...)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

I'd like to try it, but Exasound e-22 will have no part of it. I get "Error unable to start device in Direct Mode OSError = dmod" .

You need the latest version of A+. Otherwise you get that error with the new El Cap.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You need the latest version of A+. Otherwise you get that error with the new El Cap.

I think it is more than that. I have 2.5.1.4 & have been updating virtually as fast as they're being released. It's always a fail w/ Direct Mode. Exasound's instructions for A+ say to "make sure Direct Mode is unchecked".

• 6 months later...

It is more than that...

Audirvana Plus 2.6

Hi Damien,

Will 2.6 fix Mac OS Seirra ::: Direct Mode issue? Can I use the new A+ Remote with version 2.5.3?

============================================================================

Damien's response:

Unfortunately no, as Apple has locked (using their private entitlement mechanism) the access used by Direct Mode.

So the only solution for now is the replacement of the kernel extension IOAudioFamily.kext by the one from El Capitan.

You can also file a bug report to Apple to tell this is an issue (bugreport.apple.com). Maybe if there are lots of same bug reports, they'll start to want to take a look?

And yes, A+ Remote 1.6.2 is backward compatible with previous Audirvana Plus releases.

I think Audirvana needs to address this issue with Apple. I was considering Audirvana Plus but now I'm not so sure.

What are your thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this file replacement--macOS complained that the file was 'installed incorrectly' and I found I now had NO audio devices. Rebooting did nothing. Hmm.

Time Machine put things back as they were, but it's a tricky issue.

It is more than that...

Audirvana Plus 2.6

Hi Damien,

Will 2.6 fix Mac OS Seirra ::: Direct Mode issue? Can I use the new A+ Remote with version 2.5.3?

Damien's response:

Unfortunately no, as Apple has locked (using their private entitlement mechanism) the access used by Direct Mode.

So the only solution for now is the replacement of the kernel extension IOAudioFamily.kext by the one from El Capitan.

You can also file a bug report to Apple to tell this is an issue (bugreport.apple.com). Maybe if there are lots of same bug reports, they'll start to want to take a look?

And yes, A+ Remote 1.6.2 is backward compatible with previous Audirvana Plus releases.

I think Audirvana needs to address this issue with Apple. I was considering Audirvana Plus but now I'm not so sure.

What are your thoughts?

Frankly, I've never heard a substantial difference between "Direct Mode" and "Integer Mode", so rather than go through the hack described to load Damien's proprietary code (and thus have to bypass Apple's file protection, etc.), I just use Integer Mode exclusively with macOS Sierra.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I tried this file replacement--macOS complained that the file was 'installed incorrectly' and I found I now had NO audio devices. Rebooting did nothing. Hmm.

Time Machine put things back as they were, but it's a tricky issue.

you just can't only replace the file... yes it is tricky, but working...

Here is the recipy i wrote for easy following... ALL steps must be done...

And yes it can mess your Os if you don't do it right... so, BACK UP before.

This was posted on another thread, many succeeded, like myself.

I have found a method to enable Direct Mode again... on A+ forum...

I edited it a bit for more easier doing it...

i included in the .ZIP the Read Me file, the .ktext of El Capitan and the Sierra one just in case.

I just did it myself, it is not long maybe 15 mins... Having a backup done if you don't have one is longer :-)

It worked for me, now Direct Mode is on and no bug in A+... i'm already on 10.12.2...

I wrote everything to be easy for not computer people to do it...

It weights nothing... download it and read it first, than see if you are not worry :-)

In my dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DirectMode.zip

AT YOUR OWN RISK...

you will have to redone it if you upgrade...

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Ah, the 'tricky issue' is that the file permissions need to be changed. Thanks for the steps.

I run Time Machine into three different backup disks. One can't have too many backups with the cost of storage being so low.

Mark

i included in the .ZIP the Read Me file, the .ktext of El Capitan and the Sierra one just in case.

I just did it myself, it is not long maybe 15 mins... Having a backup done if you don't have one is longer :-)

It worked for me, now Direct Mode is on and no bug in A+... i'm already on 10.12.2...

It weights nothing... download it and read it first, than see if you are not worry :-)

AT YOUR OWN RISK...

• 2 months later...

AT YOUR OWN RISK...

Suppose I shouldn't have tried this procedure...too much a novice....my system crashed completely and had to do a Time Machine restore...that went fine but a few days later the MacBook is showing the same crash behaviour. Is this malware?

I assume that restoring to a time earlier than the attempted exercise the issue was closed and the corruption file no longer in the system but apparently not.

Also discover that restoring from a NAS is it's own world of pain...Time Machine sees the NAS but won't accept the login name and password. Google search tells me this is a vey common problem with most suggesting that NAS Drives will not be readable from the COMMAND-R Restore window. Anyone have any success with login into a NAS from this window?

Suppose I shouldn't have tried this procedure...too much a novice....my system crashed completely and had to do a Time Machine restore...that went fine but a few days later the MacBook is showing the same crash behaviour. Is this malware?

I assume that restoring to a time earlier than the attempted exercise the issue was closed and the corruption file no longer in the system but apparently not.

Also discover that restoring from a NAS is it's own world of pain...Time Machine sees the NAS but won't accept the login name and password. Google search tells me this is a vey common problem with most suggesting that NAS Drives will not be readable from the COMMAND-R Restore window. Anyone have any success with login into a NAS from this window?

For sure it is not a malware... it is still working with 10.12.4, many have installed it with no problem, and i have direct Mode on with A+ v3... you surely didn't follow it exactly or done all that was written... you can check also on audirvana forum that others there installed it without problem... Sorry for you.

Since DropBox change is settings the link doesn't work since yesterday, here is the new one for those who wants it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

For sure it is not a malware... it is still working with 10.12.4, many have installed it with no problem, and i have direct Mode on with A+ v3... you surely didn't follow it exactly or done all that was written... you can check also on audirvana forum that others there installed it without problem... Sorry for you.

Since DropBox change is settings the link doesn't work since yesterday, here is the new one for those who wants it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

My apologies....I'm sure it my clumsiness in copying the file. Regards.

From others' problems it should be evident: Please don't do this unless you know *exactly* what you are doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

From others' problems it should be evident: Please don't do this unless you know *exactly* what you are doing!

Seriously? Amazing!

Nevertheless, I will likely try again but the one takeaway that is of far greater concern to me is the inability of Time Machine to recognize the Synology NAS share....in trying to unearth the problem I found a number of posts outlining this issue and providing workarounds. I wonder how pervasive this problem is.

Restore Time Machine backup from Synology - Technical Exchange bLog

How to Restore a Time Machine Backup From a Synology NAS — timbroder.com

This was a shorter way of saying the following: The problem is we've got a bunch of bright, likely reasonably successful people accustomed to glancing at something pretty quickly and getting it close to correct, and if not the first time, they'll get it the second. This process, though relatively quick and simple, is also remarkably unforgiving. Make *sure* you follow the steps *exactly*. If there's anything you don't understand *completely* about them, but you figure you'll deal with it when you get there, figure again.

So that's what I'm saying: Be more than usually careful *beforehand* to be sure you understand the process thoroughly and follow it exactly.

This was a shorter way of saying the following: The problem is we've got a bunch of bright, likely reasonably successful people accustomed to glancing at something pretty quickly and getting it close to correct, and if not the first time, they'll get it the second. This process, though relatively quick and simple, is also remarkably unforgiving. Make *sure* you follow the steps *exactly*. If there's anything you don't understand *completely* about them, but you figure you'll deal with it when you get there, figure again.

So that's what I'm saying: Be more than usually careful *beforehand* to be sure you understand the process thoroughly and follow it exactly.

Jud,

I appreciate your concern but aren't these observatiions self-evident.

Cheers,

Warren

Jud,

I appreciate your concern but aren't these observatiions self-evident.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Warren -

I wasn't referring to you specifically, but to anyone who may want to try this. And not just this thread, but particularly the various OS optimization threads, are full of folks saying "Hey I ran this and I know you said at my own risk but now my computer doesn't work!"

So "self-evident" and "Maybe I should actually take the time to be really sure of things (and make a backup!) before I try this" are obviously two different things to many folks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to point out that this is a seriously bad idea. You are risking corruption of your computer's operating system. Never install a kernel extension unless it's from a signed and trusted source. If you're not comfortable using a terminal and unix command lines, do not attempt this.

I feel like this thread needs a MUCH stronger disclaimer advising users not to attempt this unless they are both completely aware of what they are doing and that they can cause irreparable damage and loss of data to their computers if they mess it up.

Source: I am Software Developer.

8 minutes ago, robcee said:

I would like to point out that this is a seriously bad idea. You are risking corruption of your computer's operating system. Never install a kernel extension unless it's from a signed and trusted source. If you're not comfortable using a terminal and unix command lines, do not attempt this.

I feel like this thread needs a MUCH stronger disclaimer advising users not to attempt this unless they are both completely aware of what they are doing and that they can cause irreparable damage and loss of data to their computers if they mess it up.

Source: I am Software Developer.

Would you be Rob of Channel D?

That one could corrupt an operating system by replacing kernel extensions suggested to me that the tweaks were not worth it. I reverted to El Capitan, which is just fine for a 2010 Mac Mini I use as a music player. 

On the other hand, I got a Bryston BDA-3 that supports upsampling to DSD128. The improvement is not minor  (though not inexpensive). The Mini has to work hard to process the file, maxing out CPU, but it's faster than the playing so no hiccups. I plan to toggle direct mode on and off and see if I can tell a difference. 

I can't seem to get AU units to work though; nothing happens. Which is too bad, I like being able to notch the room peaks. 

44 minutes ago, mdynarski said:

That one could corrupt an operating system by replacing kernel extensions suggested to me that the tweaks were not worth it. I reverted to El Capitan, which is just fine for a 2010 Mac Mini I use as a music player. 

On the other hand, I got a Bryston BDA-3 that supports upsampling to DSD128. The improvement is not minor  (though not inexpensive). The Mini has to work hard to process the file, maxing out CPU, but it's faster than the playing so no hiccups. I plan to toggle direct mode on and off and see if I can tell a difference. 

I can't seem to get AU units to work though; nothing happens. Which is too bad, I like being able to notch the room peaks. 

Direct Mode in Sierra enable won't change the fact that upsampling to DSD128 will reduce the CPU load with A+. Damien can optimize the processes or mansr with his filters maybe. Your izotope settings can give more CPU load and others less... you can always watch what happen in Activity Monitor window.