IGNORED

Benchtop laboratory power supplies vs. Teradak, HD-Plex, etc

I'm building a 2-chassis music server/controller and have been reading about all the various external power supply vendors. I'm pretty confident that replacing the switch mode supply that I buy from Newegg with a purpose-built linear supply will make a big difference, especially in a highly resolving system like mine.

There are a ton of companies that make lab-grade multi-output linear supplies that have very good specs. However, I've not found anyone in a forum who has re-purposed one to power a music PC. For example, this model (http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGPC1850D.html#tab-specifications) sells for $400 and appears to have superior specs compared to the audio PS vendors. Of course, in order to power an ATX mobo a custom wire loom is required but that isn't overly hard to make. Which brings me to my questions: Are there aspects of the purpose built music server power supplies that make them superior to the lab-centric benchtop products? If so, what are they and could I find a lab power supply that has those superior specs. Ultimately, I like getting good value for my money and there are an order of magnitude more lab PS vendors than audio PS vendors which means I can get cheaper gear and have a good selection of excellent used gear as well.

I appreciate any thoughts, feedback and guidance you can provide.

I'm building a 2-chassis music server/controller and have been reading about all the various external power supply vendors. I'm pretty confident that replacing the switch mode supply that I buy from Newegg with a purpose-built linear supply will make a big difference, especially in a highly resolving system like mine.

There are a ton of companies that make lab-grade multi-output linear supplies that have very good specs. However, I've not found anyone in a forum who has re-purposed one to power a music PC. For example, this model (http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGPC1850D.html#tab-specifications) sells for $400 and appears to have superior specs compared to the audio PS vendors. Of course, in order to power an ATX mobo a custom wire loom is required but that isn't overly hard to make. Which brings me to my questions: Are there aspects of the purpose built music server power supplies that make them superior to the lab-centric benchtop products? If so, what are they and could I find a lab power supply that has those superior specs. Ultimately, I like getting good value for my money and there are an order of magnitude more lab PS vendors than audio PS vendors which means I can get cheaper gear and have a good selection of excellent used gear as well.

It was actually quite common for people to do this. But then Terdak, HD-Plex, Teddy Pardo, etc came about and people switched. I guess people did not want to bother with having to DIY their cables and having ugly equipment in their music room. Also, devices like the Teradak and HD-Plex support many more different voltages than the lab supplies do. And there is also the point of feedback back into the grid. The bottom line is that people chose convenience once purpose build devices became available that cost the same or less than the lab supplies. And then there are of course the superior devices like the Uptone Audio power supply.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Hello,

I have been using a Lab grade DC power supply for several years now with great success (details found in the system link in my Sig). Currently I am using an Agilent 0-30v adjustable model to power my Sonore mRendu feeding it 7v and before that I was power an ALIX based music server with roughly 13.5v.

I think the only complaint I would have with the unit that doesn't really bother me is due to the fan noise it generates. In my case, the PS is sitting in the basement of my house so the noise is not an issue for me but I wouldn't want it in the listening room, that’s for sure. I made my own power cable for it which attaches to the mRendu ETH-USB network audio adapter. Both devices are in my basement and I have the USB cable feeding up thru the floor to my DAC in my listening room.

Several years back when I purchased the Agilent PS I was asking the same questions you were and wasn't too fond of forking out big money for all the Audiophile grade units on the market who didn't have the balls to post up any Specs of their wares. The Lab grade unit had Specs galore and I ended up giving it a try. I believe it was under $400 and still runs well to this day after being powered up 24/7 X 365 days a year.

I've recently acquired an iFi Wall Wart that came with my mRendu but haven't given it a try yet.