IGNORED

Mystery revealed: UpTone Audio "UltraCap™ LPS-1"

Will yours be male cylinder 5.5 x 2.1mm, positive center?

Yes, that is correct. Both input and output jacks on the LPS-1 are 5.5mm x 2.1mm, center-positive.

And to preempt the inevitable skeptical question: neither the LPS-1 nor any devices connected to it would be harmed if someone gets the input and output cables backwards. We thought through ALL these things...

I wonder how the LPS-1 compares to this:

Never Connected Power Supply | Trichord Research

I didn't have the time to research that Trichord PSU, but they also claim their PSU is never connected to AC mains. Their design is already a few years old.

Hi Adam:

Last year John and I read through together the patent on the Never Connected (Patent US7092268 - Isolating power supply - Google Patents). I don't remember all of John's comments, but besides the fact that what we are doing is very different, he had some critical observations that called into question how well their design actually isolates. Maybe he will chime in about it--or at least contrast the LPS-1 to it-- though we are not inclined to speak ill of other manufacturers' products.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I am NOT keeping a list of interested buyers for reservations--have WAY too many other things to keep track of these days. Just about everyone who has ever sent any sort of inquiry to us or bought anything (JS-2, REGEN, MMK) is already on a mailing list that I keep (something like 4,000 e-mail addresses). I rarely ever send anything out to that e-mail list (again, far too little time for marketing tasks), but a product availability announcement is the sort of thing I will force myself to do an e-mail blast on.

So on the evening before I make the UltraCap™ LPS-1 pre-order page visible (which again, will not be until we can promise a firm shipment date), I will send a notice to our entire mailing list, as well as posting here. That should get everyone in the loop enough to start the feeding frenzy on the first run of 150 units.

Best,

--Alex C.

If one have got an Uptone order confirmation and tracking info for a Regen on a specific mail address, does this mean that one is automatically a member of your said mailing list?

I wonder how the LPS-1 compares to this:

Never Connected Power Supply | Trichord Research

I didn't have the time to research that Trichord PSU, but they also claim their PSU is never connected to AC mains. Thei design is already a few years old.

I'm not exactly sure what this is, they don't ever say what the architecture is, but from looking at pictures of the board I THINK I know what it is doing.

My guess is that it starts out as a normal cap input supply: transformer, diode bridge, cap. With this type of design the cap is charged in spurts, current only flows through the transformer at the peaks of the waveform.

Then there is a transistor connecting the first cap to a second cap. The transistor circuit is designed so the caps are connected when the first cap is NOT being charged from the transformer. Thus the second cap is only charged when the first cap is not charged from the transformer.

Note that the negatives of the two caps are connected together and also to the negative of the bridge at all times.

I think that they are thinking that since the second cap is only charged from the first cap not the transformer it is isolated from noise on the transformer. Well during the time the transistor is turned OFF it is, but when it is ON high frequency noise from the diodes and the transformer sail right on through. It doesn't matter that the main current from the transformer is not flowing when the transistor is on, the high frequency noise doesn't care, it goes right on through.

It may help for lower harmonics of the line frequency, but for higher frequencies it is letting bursts right on through.

So it may help to some degree, but it is nowhere close to the complete isolation that the LPS-1

provides.

John S.

Any comments to his one, Superdad?

It can deliver up to 4 Amps on the 12V output (16300mAh). This should be more than enough for the LPS-1, powering the uRendu.

Sure it looks like it will work, but will give 70 hours of play which is quite a bit more than the original spec of 8-10 hours. Its probably quite a bit larger and heavier than the one I found (and more expensive).

So it is the traditional tradeoff of time vs portability.

John S.

Sure it looks like it will work, but will give 70 hours of play which is quite a bit more than the original spec of 8-10 hours. Its probably quite a bit larger and heavier than the one I found (and more expensive).

So it is the traditional tradeoff of time vs portability.

John S.

Thanks.

I know it is overkill, but overkill is my middle name!

I don't take any prisoners.... ;)

If one have got an Uptone order confirmation and tracking info for a Regen on a specific mail address, does this mean that one is automatically a member of your said mailing list?

Yes, e-mail addresses used for order confirmations/shipping notices are some of the ones we capture for our mailing list. And I assure everyone, these addresses are NEVER given or sold to anyone, and I keep them quite secure. And nobody can accuse me of burying them in sales/marketing e-mails as I think it has been over a year since I sent out any message to those on the list.

Forgive me if this has been posted already, John or Alex...can you guys give the size dimensions of the lps-1? Is it similar to the js-2?

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

Yes, e-mail addresses used for order confirmations/shipping notices are some of the ones we capture for our mailing list. And I assure everyone, these addresses are NEVER given or sold to anyone, and I keep them quite secure. And nobody can accuse me of burying them in sales/marketing e-mails as I think it has been over a year since I sent out any message to those on the list.

Which reminds me.... When *are* we ever going to get a newsletter?!?!? :)

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Is there a plan to make anything better than Mean Well SMPS and not as expensive as JS-2 and that would not spit garbage back into the AC (like the smps would typically do) ?

In this thread, Superdad mentioned his use of a 1:1 isolation transformer to prevent noise from getting back into the mains. I know from other threads, elsewhere, that it has a "floating secondary" (please correct me if my recollection is incorrect). The secondary is not grounded to neutral, as with isolation transformers that have a "grounded secondary," yet still has an intact safety ground, from its three-prong output jack all the way back to the wall outlet.

I use this 1:1 isolation transformer, which has a floating secondary and a grounded Faraday shield. It interrupts ground loops and provides normal-mode (differential) noise reduction (on power coming into your gear), in addition to preventing common-mode backwash back to the mains:

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-1604A-Single-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B000LDLF3M

More than anyone wants to know, but...

I have two of these - one to supply AC power to a Teradak LPS that's currently powering my USB Regen and the other, to supply AC power to the DAC (which has an Anamero-based USB module that pulls 5V from the USB Regen, but the remainder of the DAC runs on AC).

Both of these floating-secondary 1:1 isolation transformers are plugged into a higher amperage, grounded-secondary 1:1 isolation transformer, into which my analog gear is plugged directly.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Isolation-Transformer-Outlet/dp/B00006HPHN

This larger, grounded-secondary isolation transformer, again with a grounded Faraday shield, provides common-mode noise reduction, converting it to less harmful normal-mode noise at a reduction ratio of about 1000:1 or 60 dB.

All of the above is served by an AC voltage regulator that's plugged into the wall outlet and set for 110V output, because these very affordable, cascaded isolation transformers are not truly 1:1 at the small loads I am pulling. More expensive isolation transformers will hold 1:1 no matter the load as long as it is within spec. With 120V measured at the mains, I'm getting a very steady (and a very clean) 118V at my gear - and again, safety grounds are intact from the gear all the way back to the mains.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA60

Mike

In this thread, Superdad mentioned his use of a 1:1 isolation transformer to prevent noise from getting back into the mains. I know from other threads, elsewhere, that it has a "floating secondary" (please correct me if my recollection is incorrect). The secondary is not grounded to neutral, as with isolation transformers that have a "grounded secondary," yet still has an intact safety ground, from its three-prong output jack all the way back to the wall outlet.

I use this 1:1 isolation transformer, which has a floating secondary and a grounded Faraday shield. It interrupts ground loops and provides normal-mode (differential) noise reduction (on power coming into your gear), in addition to preventing common-mode backwash back to the mains:

Amazon.com: B&K Precision 1604A Single Output Isolation Transformer, 4" H x 4" W x 5.5" D: Industrial & Scientific

I have two of these - one to supply AC power to a Teradak LPS that's currently powering my USB Regen and the other, to supply AC power to the DAC (which has an Anamero-based USB module that pulls 5V from the USB Regen, but the remainder of the DAC runs on AC).

Both of these floating-secondary 1:1 isolation transformers are plugged into a higher amperage, grounded-secondary 1:1 isolation transformer, into which my analog gear is plugged directly.

This larger, grounded-secondary isolation transformer, again with a grounded Faraday shield, provides common-mode noise reduction, converting it to less harmful normal-mode noise at a reduction ratio of about 1000:1 or 60 dB.

All of the above is served by an AC voltage regulator that's plugged into the wall outlet and set for 110V output, because these very affordable, cascaded isolation transformers are not truly 1:1 at the small loads I am pulling. More expensive isolation transformers will hold 1:1 no matter the load as long as it is within spec. With 120V measured at the mains, I'm getting a very steady (and a very clean) 118V at my gear - and again, safety grounds are intact from the gear all the way back to the mains.

Mike

Or try a DigiBUSS, I have three now,

PIAUDIO DIGIBUSS

rogerdn

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-1604A-Single-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B000LDLF3M

Mike

Hi Mike! Amazing post! :-) If there is someone in this forum I trust 100% it is you. You are always in there for the consumers and trying guide people to make the right descitions. I wish I had the same urge to train members on this forum. Sorry! ;-)

My personal mind is locked to battery supply & Ultracapacitors right now but 1:1 isolation transformers is for sure a rock solid suggestion for people wishing a no-brainer solution. I cannot help that I like my audio a bit more complicated. I am a vinyl neard after all! ;-)

If...and I say If....anyone does'nt like the looks of those medical Isolators besides your Hifi setup...buy the Ultracap Lps-1! :-)

Thanks Cornan. :-)

I'm still very interested in using the Ultra-Cap LPS-1 to power the USB Regen. Isolation transformers can't compete - no way. My discussion of isolation transformers was only in response to recently expressed concerns regarding the possibility of noise coming from the supply that energizes the Ultra-Cap returning to the mains to pollute other AC gear.

Over here, I have a similar setup on the AC side. Same big Tripplite, then a balanced power transformer distributing power to multiple lower wattage floating ground transformers for the digital components. It sounds great!

I have both B&K precision and Tripplite 250 watt (floating ground) transformers for the digital components. The B&Ks are lower wattage so three Tripplites power the two computers and DAC. Safety ground is intact in all these components.

After testing many different combinations, serial and parallel, this toplogy was the one that sounds the best.

It is surprising what an large impact small seemingly benign changes on the AC side can make to digital sound quality.

Despite all this, I am very excited about using the new Ultracaps LPS1 to galvanically isolate my DAC from player PC.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Over here, I have a similar setup on the AC side. Same big Tripplite, then a balanced power transformer distributing power to multiple lower wattage floating ground transformers for the digital components. It sounds great!

I have both B&K precision and Tripplite 250 watt (floating ground) transformers for the digital components. The B&Ks are lower wattage so three Tripplites power the two computers and DAC. Safety ground is intact in all these components.

After testing many different combinations, serial and parallel, this toplogy was the one that sounds the best.

It is surprising what an large impact small seemingly benign changes on the AC side can make to digital sound quality.

Despite all this, I am very excited about using the new Ultracaps LPS1 to galvanically isolate my DAC from player PC.

Amen to everything you've written - especially your use of floating secondary isolation transformers to supply your AC-powered digital components. Noise is so insidious, in that we don't know it's there until we get rid of it AND re-introduce it temporarily, to realize just how silent silence can be.

I have abandoned my tendency to assume that I have achieved the lowest possible noise floor. I now pursue it as a bottomless pit, even though I acknowledge there is a bottom defined by the sensitivity of my ears at reasonable SPLs for the high energy signals. I'm really looking forward to the ultra-low noise floor offered by the Ultra-Cap LPS-1. The trick will be to get the noise down on the rest of our gear so that the Ultra-Cap's contributions aren't lost in the melee. I suspect the only way to really do justice for a single Ultra-Cap LPS-1 is to go with 100% DC-powered gear and gang multiple Ultra-Cap's into serial and parallel configurations, if necessary, as John has suggested can be done, to achieve the necessary voltages and amperages. I dream of Ultra-Cap-acity!

Meanwhile, this is my most "silent" battery-powered rig for the Sennheiser HD800. It's not exactly portable, thanks to the Burson V5 Duals, but it is "transportable":

IMG_4884_32GB_iPod_Touch_6_ -_Oppo_HA-2_iBasso_PB2_Pelican_w_Burson_V5_Duals_caps_and_dummy_buff.jpg

Tidal HiFi > iPod Touch 6 (digital out) > Oppo HA-2 ES9018K2M DAC (line out) > iBasso PB2 Pelican with Burson V5 Dual op-amps in the input voltage gain stage with dummy buffers in the output stage (balanced out) > Toxic Cables' Silver Poison cable > Sennheiser HD800

IMG_4593_iPod_Touch_6_Sony_NWZ-A17_Oppo_HA-2_iBasso_PB2_HD800_in_HPRC-2400F_x960.jpg

I think I can make room inside this case for a couple of Ultra-Cap LPS-1's, to replace the LiPo battery that currently powers the iBasso PB2 amp (with both of them set to 7V, in series).

:-)

Superdad - Do you have a proposed date for the LPS-1 to go on sale?

MS Windows 10, Cary 120S & D-Sonic M3-2800 amp, Marantz av8801, NAD M51,

Basis 1400 TT, Dahlquist DQ-10's & Monitor audio RX ( ctr,surr, rear RX6's) ,

1 - 12" & 1 dual RBH sub, Acoustic Revive RTP-6 conditioner, Panasonic GT50

Superdad - Do you have a proposed date for the LPS-1 to go on sale?

Thanks for your interest. We do not have an exact date just yet. The pre-production boards will be in our hands before the end of May. John needs about 2 weeks with them for final programming and testing. Assuming whatever board changes he needs to make are minor enough for us to be confident going straight to full production (a very costly assumption if we are wrong, but extra time and expense if we decide to respin another set of pre-production boards), then the production clock will start and shipments should begin 4 weeks from then. So if all goes well we'll begin shipments mid-July.

We will NOT start accepting pre-orders and payments until all production elements are on order with known dates of delivery. At that point our web site will have a order page with a promised product shipment date.

If something changes you will read it here first. :)

--Alex C.