IGNORED

Mystery revealed: UpTone Audio "UltraCap™ LPS-1"

If the FMC really does draw 08A then you will not be able to drive both from the same LPS-1. The .2A for the microRendu is kind of averaged during normal running time, I mentioned that for determining power usage for thermal issues. Actual peak current can be twice that (0.4A) which will not work with .8A from the FMC.

Actually using the same LPS-1 for both the FMC and a microRendu is not a great idea anyway. The MicroRendu DOES have galvanic isolation between the Ethernet input and the USB output, using the same LPS-1 to drive both shorts out that isolation. You will probably be better off using the LPS-1 on the microRendu and something else for the FMC.

John S.

The way I figure it, I'll be able to use my HDPlex 100watt for both FMC's and the LPS-1 into the microRendu. I'll use the 12v output to power the LPS-1. This will free up the 9v and 5v outputs for the two FMC's. I've definitely found the FMC's to benefit from quality power. Even the network-side FMC... And if I end up picking up one of those Diablo fiber switches that runs on 5v, the HDPlex will be able to power that instead of the one FMC, and I'll pick up another decent LPS for the FMC next to my NAS.

This is why those HDPlex units are such a good deal. They may not be the utmost in LPS quality, but they're pretty damn good, and they also have sooooo many connectivity options. I'm excited about getting a three-fer out of mine.

If the FMC really does draw 0.8A then you will not be able to drive both from the same LPS-1. The .2A for the microRendu is kind of averaged during normal running time, I mentioned that for determining power usage for thermal issues. Actual peak current can be twice that (0.4A) which will not work with .8A from the FMC.

I'd be surprised if the FMC actually draws anywhere near 0.8A.

And just for reference, John has been running his Bottlehead DAC AND a MicroRendu of a single UltraCap LPS-1 for several weeks. :)

Will it be advisable to use one output of the JS-2 power supply with a Y-splitter for the two FMCs, then use the other output to energize the LPS-1 to the Microrendu? This is my planned setup for once the LPS-1 becomes available. For now it will be JS-2 directly to the Microrendu, then the second output split to the two FMCs.

My 2 cents:

a) You may defeat some of the isolation afforded by the FMCs by powering them from the same supply (ref to John's discussion of leak current paths, etc.);

b) I don't think you are going to hear much benefit in energizing an LPS-1 from a JS-2 or other LPS; its output won't benefit at all, and the LPS-1 will already be blocking the ability for the leakage current of the SMPS from contributing to other parts of the system.

My suggestion is to find some other worthwhile audio components in you system to use the JS-2 for. Do you have a DAC, USB>S/PDIF converter, headphone amp, or computer that would be a candidate for JS-2 power?

Quite soon. Next week if I can get the info and photos ready for the web page.

Ordered the production boards last night!

Please refer to this post with regards the plan to inform everyone the night before making the web info/order page visible and accepting pre-orders.

Thanks every for your patience. John and I are really excited about this coming together at last. And we know a great many of you are too!

Best,

--Alex C.

impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif

are-we-there-yet.gif

Hi Alex & John,

Question, I just had Dave from Pi Audio build a Regulator for my Battery Buss to step down the main output from 12v to 7.25 v / 5a to power my mRendu. Will this be sufficient to energize the LPS-1 or will I need it modified. Didn't think it through, LPS-1 needs 7.5v.

Thanks....Mike

That 7.25V/5A will be just fine to energize the UltraCap LPS-1.

Hi Alex & John,

Question, I just had Dave from Pi Audio build a Regulator for my Battery Buss to step down the main output from 12v to 7.25 v / 5a to power my mRendu. Will this be sufficient to energize the LPS-1 or will I need it modified. Didn't think it through, LPS-1 needs 7.5v.

Thanks....Mike

Mike, I had Dave do same to mine, you're no longer powering the mRendu with it ?

rogerdn

That 7.25V/5A will be just fine to energize the UltraCap LPS-1.

Actually Mike, I'd best check with John on this. My mind was on the REGEN--which is not picky about supply voltage--but the LPS-1 charging circuits are tuned for the range from 7.5V-12V. I am still guessing 7.25V will be within the range, but I will check and get back to you.

--Alex C.

Actually Mike, I'd best check with John on this. My mind was on the REGEN--which is not picky about supply voltage--but the LPS-1 charging circuits are tuned for the range from 7.5V-12V. I am still guessing 7.25V will be within the range, but I will check and get back to you.

--Alex C.

As long as the feeder voltage, at the input jack, never goes below 7V you will just barely be all right. That "at the input jack" is critical, at around 7V the LPS-1 is pulling around 3A, you have to make sure that the voltage drop across the PS output jack and the cable does not go below 7V with a 3A load. This can be done but it takes something like 16 gauge wires.

John S.

Thanks Guys......

This is from an email between Dave at Pi Audio and myself when I had enquired about using the Battery Buss on the mRendu.

I have been setting the voltage out at 7.25VDC and it will handle 5A, so there is no current limitation. If you want a different voltage after talking to all of the peeps out there you are talking to, just let me know. I can give you anything from 3VDC to 10.5VDC with very low noise, very stiff regulation.

Seems like the output is very stable.

I will follow up with Dave as well to make sure, obviously I can have it modified again.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

Mike, I had Dave do same to mine, you're no longer powering the mRendu with it ?

Hi Roger,

No, I definitely using it . I just got it last week. Always looking to take things to the next level. Hence the LPS-1....

If your using a generic ethernet cable I highly recommend a Audioquest Vodka Cable.

It made a huge difference in my opinion.

Enjoy the Music!

Mike

Thanks Guys......

This is from an email between Dave at Pi Audio and myself when I had enquired about using the Battery Buss on the mRendu.

I have been setting the voltage out at 7.25VDC and it will handle 5A, so there is no current limitation. If you want a different voltage after talking to all of the peeps out there you are talking to, just let me know. I can give you anything from 3VDC to 10.5VDC with very low noise, very stiff regulation.

Seems like the output is very stable.

I will follow up with Dave as well to make sure, obviously I can have it modified again.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

Verified with Dave.....Regulator is set at 7.54v.

Should be good to go.

Hi gang:

This is just a early pre-announcement--I'll post again Monday night and will probably start a new thread as well.

Tuesday morning at 9:00 a.m. California time is when the UltraCap™ LPS-1 web page will be live and accepting orders.

Production boards should be here by this Friday, and then we begin flashing the FPGA with John's code (rock solid from the extensive testing, coding, and recoding he has done).

We have a lot going on here right now, and I also need to write a short User Guide for the LPS-1, so I'm being conservative and promising that shipments will begin October 14th. But it might be sooner, and as efficient as my staff is, I expect that all 150 of the first batch will be able to ship wishing the same 3 days.

Cases and other supplies are on-hand for a another 100 units after that, and more PCB blanks are already in stock at our board assembly house. So another 100 could be ready in the later half of October quite easily.

While you can't yet see the UltraCap LPS-1 product page, one of the photos I took of it is in rotation on the home page, and I also wrote a blog entry with photos about the building we are moving into next month (yeah, October is going to be crazy busy!).

Lastly, all afternoon I have been listening to the UltraCap LPS-1 powering a MicroRendu. (And compared it to the iFi iPower for grins.) All I can say is WOW. (Not that you would expect anything else. ;))

It is pretty clear we have another winner on our hands. Can't wait to send one to Jesus at Sonore.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

LPS-1 with microRendu.jpg

So now you've been playing with one, how warm does it get? And did it affect the temperature of the mRendu in any noticeable way?

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Hi gang:

This is just a early pre-announcement--I'll post again Monday night and will probably start a new thread as well.

Tuesday morning at 9:00 a.m. California time is when the UltraCap™ LPS-1 web page will be live and accepting orders.

Production boards should be here by this Friday, and then we begin flashing the FPGA with John's code (rock solid from the extensive testing, coding, and recoding he has done).

We have a lot going on here right now, and I also need to write a short User Guide for the LPS-1, so I'm being conservative and promising that shipments will begin October 14th. But it might be sooner, and as efficient as my staff is, I expect that all 150 of the first batch will be able to ship wishing the same 3 days.

Cases and other supplies are on-hand for a another 100 units after that, and more PCB blanks are already in stock at our board assembly house. So another 100 could be ready in the later half of October quite easily.

While you can't yet see the UltraCap LPS-1 product page, one of the photos I took of it is in rotation on the home page, and I also wrote a blog entry with photos about the building we are moving into next month (yeah, October is going to be crazy busy!).

Lastly, all afternoon I have been listening to the UltraCap LPS-1 powering a MicroRendu. (And compared it to the iFi iPower for grins.) All I can say is WOW. (Not that you would expect anything else. ;))

It is pretty clear we have another winner on our hands. Can't wait to send one to Jesus at Sonore.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29208[/ATTACH]

Price Please?

Hi gang:

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Alex, when powering the microRendu with the LPS-1 for your WOW comparison (got me drooling ;-), what are you powering your LPS-1 with?

Win 10 PC -> Roon -> Sonore µRendu -> Devialet 440 Pro -> Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers

Durham, NC

Alex, when powering the microRendu with the LPS-1 for your WOW comparison (got me drooling ;-), what are you powering your LPS-1 with?

top-fuel-dragster.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I guess what I'm mostly curious about is whether the LPS-1 charged by the iFi iPower (used on the MicroRendu) would be any better (or worse) than the Mean Well SMPS that you'll include for $15. Seems like a no-brainer, but thought I'd ask before ordering.

Win 10 PC -> Roon -> Sonore µRendu -> Devialet 440 Pro -> Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers

Durham, NC

I guess what I'm mostly curious about is whether the LPS-1 charged by the iFi iPower (used on the MicroRendu) would be any better (or worse) than the Mean Well SMPS that you'll include for $15. Seems like a no-brainer, but thought I'd ask before ordering.

In my listening tests yesterday--with the LPS-1 powering the MicroRendu--I tried energizing it with both the 7.5V Mean Well and the 9V iFi iPower. As one should expect, there was zero SQ difference (that I could detect) since the LPS-1's output is not connected/effected by the feeder supply--and it blocks the path of leakage current from any SMPS (or LPS) feeder.

What is left is just the difference in SMPS ultra-high-frequency noise that may be kicked back into the mains. The Mean Well, being a Level VI certified unit, probably spreads its ultra-sonic noise evenly at low amplitude, though I have no measurements to back that up. And that may be more benign than the low frequency (multiples of 50/60Hz) diode-switching harmonics that most all LPS units kick back (big power amps being the worst).

While my system--with isolation transformers for my preamp, etc.--may be more immune to HF noise from SMPS, it is also possible that UltraCap LPS-1 buyers may find the supplied SMPS to be more benign to the rest of their system than if they "energized" it with a cheap LPS.

We will leave it to the user base to discover if this is so in their systems. :)

What is left is just the difference in SMPS ultra-high-frequency noise that may be kicked back into the mains. The Mean Well, being a Level VI certified unit, probably spreads its ultra-sonic noise evenly at low amplitude, though I have no measurements to back that up. And that may be more benign than the low frequency (multiples of 50/60Hz) diode-switching harmonics that most all LPS units kick back (big power amps being the worst).

While my system--with isolation transformers for my preamp, etc.--may be more immune to HF noise from SMPS, it is also possible that UltraCap LPS-1 buyers may find the supplied SMPS to be more benign to the rest of their system than if they "energized" it with a cheap LPS.

We will leave it to the user base to discover if this is so in their systems. :)

[sigh.] Now you've gone and done it. I'm sure I will be far from the only curiosity-motivated member of the new cottage industry you've just spawned - "Listen and see if you can tell whether noise back into the mains from your SMPS or LPS is more benign."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So now you've been playing with one, how warm does it get? And did it affect the temperature of the mRendu in any noticeable way?

I can't yet honestly answer the first part of your question since I have been running my LPS-1 board out of the case (saving the cases for the customer units!). But John uses his in the case--and I think he said it does not get particularly warm. (He did go through extensive thermal probe tests regarding the devices on the board--those which generate heat and those which might be sensitive about it. I always grill him--pardon the pun--on this topic. Everything is well within limits!)

As for the MicroRendu, while that is really a topic for its thread, I will say this:

The LPS-1 output setting for it is 7V, and thus the MicroRendu will run cooler from that than from 9V. But as any MicroRendu user knows--at least those who have tried it with more than one DAC--the factor determining how hot it gets is how much 5VBUS current is drawn by the DAC. And for completely bus-powered DACs such as the iFi micro iDSD, that, combined with the difference between 7V and 9V into the MicroRendu can make a LOT of difference in heat.

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

P.S. Just got the tracking number for the shipped production boards!