IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Direct connection to a Mac/PC (beta)

Hello

I've been using Sonore Rendu for a year. Great sound. No complaints.

I run JRiver via Win 10 on a Toshiba Laptop w/AMD chip.

The lap top is connected directly to the Rendu with a crossover ethernet.

From there it is a W4Sound DAC 2 to a Warpspeed Optical attenuator to a First Watt J1 to Decapo speakers.

There is one source of frustration. When I switch on the laptop, JRiver can be very slow to discover the Rendu.

Can you tell why that happens? What could I do to make the discovery more reliable?

As far as I can tell....there is no way for the user to tell JRiver to scan the network for DLNA devices. You have to wait for it to scan on it's own or restart JRiver.

• 5 months later...

I can't get HQ player to work with Roon and microRendu. I can get either Room/MRendu or Room/HQ Player but not all three together.

When I set the back-end of HQP to NAA The device field is empty and locked. So HQP isn't seeing my DAC. There must not be a connection between HQP and mRendu.

My set up is:SSD>MacAir/Rooncore/HQP>eithernetadapter/ethernet>mRendu>Auralic Vega.

Mrendu is set to NAA/HQP. Roon has HQP as the endpoint.

Any ideas?

I can't get HQ player to work with Roon and microRendu. I can get either Room/MRendu or Room/HQ Player but not all three together.

When I set the back-end of HQP to NAA The device field is empty and locked. So HQP isn't seeing my DAC. There must not be a connection between HQP and mRendu.

My set up is:SSD>MacAir/Rooncore/HQP>eithernetadapter/ethernet>mRendu>Auralic Vega.

Mrendu is set to NAA/HQP. Roon has HQP as the endpoint.

Any ideas?

These direct connections do not work with HQ Player / NAA.

• 3 weeks later...

I accept that this method of connection has been proposed for convenience (mR in a listening room with no ethernet). But there is now another thread on CA suggesting that a similar configuration (ethernet in to computer then bridged to ethernnet out from same pc/mac direct to mR) yields superior sq compared with the original set up (ie mR connected to router/switch).

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/novel-way-massively-improve-sq-sms-200-and-microrendu-31110/

Can anyone who has tried the wifi link as per this thread comment on sq and whether there are similar (alleged?!) benefits or otherwise.

Thanks,

Jesus, is the direct connection as good sounding as the traditional router-based connection?

The design intent is that the unit is connected to a router. This approach was provided as an alternative because it solves a specific use case. We have not conducted sound quality tests between the two schemes.

The design intent is that the unit is connected to a router. This approach was provided as an alternative because it solves a specific use case. We have not conducted sound quality tests between the two schemes.

Thanks Jesus. One last question. I don't have my router or ethernet in my listening room, so which of these scenarios would be prefereable sonically?

MacBook Pro i7 running Roon > [thunderbolt ethernet adapter] > ethernet cable > MicroRendu > USB cable > Ayre Codex DAC

or...

MacBook Pro i7 running Roon > [thunderbolt ethernet adapter] > ethernet cable > Apple Airport Express in client mode > ethernet cable > MicroRendu > USB cable > Ayre Codex DAC

Thanks so much!

Alex

Thanks Jesus. One last question. I don't have my router or ethernet in my listening room, so which of these scenarios would be prefereable sonically?

MacBook Pro i7 running Roon > [thunderbolt ethernet adapter] > ethernet cable > MicroRendu > USB cable > Ayre Codex DAC

or...

MacBook Pro i7 running Roon > [thunderbolt ethernet adapter] > ethernet cable > Apple Airport Express in client mode > ethernet cable > MicroRendu > USB cable > Ayre Codex DAC

Thanks so much!

Alex

Homeplugs which routes Ethernet signals over power lines is also an option to consider. I had option 2 with the airport express and the sound quality was good. However going wired is better.

savjam

Homeplugs which routes Ethernet signals over power lines is also an option to consider. I had option 2 with the airport express and the sound quality was good. However going wired is better.

savjam

Thanks savjam! So a direct (non-router) connection is better sounding than an Airport Express? Or are they the same by virtue of relying on wi-fi?

• 4 weeks later...
You need some kind of bridge to connect back to your router. If WiFi based the signal strength matters.

If your in-home wiring is in good condition, I have had good luck with trendnet powerline Ethernet adaptors

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

• 2 weeks later...

So, hmmmm... I see instructions for Mac but not PC as the title implies.

Are there instructions for PC?

So, basically, my laptop is now a hub through which it uses my wifi to transmit the data to my mRendu, yes? I'm using Roon, and I would still have my NAS drive hooked to my SonicTransporter which then goes into my router, but from there I am cableless, correct?

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

So, hmmmm... I see instructions for Mac but not PC as the title implies.

Are there instructions for PC?

So, basically, my laptop is now a hub through which it uses my wifi to transmit the data to my mRendu, yes? I'm using Roon, and I would still have my NAS drive hooked to my SonicTransporter which then goes into my router, but from there I am cableless, correct?

NAS and sonicTransporter connect to router via Ethernet. Computer connects to router via WiFi. microRendu connects to the computer via Ethernet. I don't have instructions on how to configure a PC.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2017 at 11:17 PM, vortecjr said:

NAS and sonicTransporter connect to router via Ethernet. Computer connects to router via WiFi. microRendu connects to the computer via Ethernet. I don't have instructions on how to configure a PC.

Hey JR, if I use an un-managed switch with only my sonicTransporter i5 and microRendu connected to it, can we use this direct connection and by-pass a router?

I know the new sonicTransporter i7 now comes with 2 ethernet ports for ethernet bridging but is there a solution for current i5 customers to go direct to the microRendu (by-passing router)?

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Theobetley said:

Dear Jesus today I had 8 stoppages of my hqp/uRendu combination. It is really getting burdensome. Can you offer any help?

We all could help you, but you have to write exactly what you have and what you do, and have tried. 

Removing HQPlayer is a good start. 

Every SW very last version is another ?

And no stress ..... ?

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

We all could help you, but you have to write exactly what you have and what you do, and have tried. 

Removing HQPlayer is a good start. 

Every SW very last version is another ?

And no stress ..... ?

Here is what I have

HP with  I5 CPU, 12 gig of memory

system is bridged ala Romaz 

with connection to router via wifi, and connection to uRendu via Ethernet cable

dac is Vinnie Rossi DHT which also powers the uRendu.

4 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

Here is what I have

HP with  I5 CPU, 12 gig of memory

system is bridged ala Romaz 

with connection to router via wifi, and connection to uRendu via Ethernet cable

dac is Vinnie Rossi DHT which also powers the uRendu.

I understand people are doing this and I'm okay with it, but I don't provide support for that setup. The microRendu is intended to be connected to a router. Connecting the microRendu directly to a computer can have unintended consequences that I don't have any experience trouble shooting. Have you reached out Romaz?   

9 hours ago, Theobetley said:

Dear Jesus today I had 8 stoppages of my hqp/uRendu combination. It is really getting burdensome. Can you offer any help?

I stopped using the HQP/NAA mode on my microRendu and switched to RoonReady mode. Since them zero stopages. The stoppages happen often if I switch back to Roon>HQP>mR NAA mode.

I did send Jussi a log of HQP. I think others should do the same so he can figure out what the issue is.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

I stopped using the HQP/NAA mode on my microRendu and switched to RoonReady mode. Since them zero stopages. The stoppages happen often if I switch back to Roon>HQP>mR NAA mode.

I did send Jussi a log of HQP. I think others should do the same so he can figure out what the issue is.

I don't know Rune. I take it you can run Rune in place of HQP/NAA. Are you bridged? Does Rune sound as good as HQP?

12 hours ago, firedog said:

The stoppages happen often if I switch back to Roon>HQP>mR NAA mode.

You of cause have the latest SW of everything ?

BJ cables ?

Stoppagges means music just stop in the middle of a song ?

Is it only related to playlists, or albums as well ?

No difference between Tidal and local content?