IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Direct connection to a Mac/PC (beta)

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contain quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

The Sonicorbiter operating system found on the Rendu series can be connected directly to a Mac computer via ethernet.

Please note:

1. The Sonicorbiter operating system requires internet access to work properly so your Mac computer needs internet access via Wi-Fi enabled.

2. Some output modes may not work at all or may not work correctly.

Shairport output mode - appears to work

MPD/DLNA output mode - appears to work

RoonReady output mode - appears to work

SqueezeLite output mode - appears to work with the unit's onboard LMS

NAA output mode - the device is not found

Follow these steps to enable a direct connection.

1. Go into Mac's System Preferences and select Sharing. Now enable Internet Sharing as follow:

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 1.59.05 PM.png

2. Connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac computer to the Sonicorbiter SE or microRendu.

3. Connect USB and power up your DAC and the Sonicorbiter SE or microRendu.

4. When the Sonicorbiter SE or microRendu boots up use http://www.sonoicorbiter.com to locate and manage the unit from your browser.

Jesus, I have the physical layout to make this connection.

But it's not clear to me what the advantages might be, over direct Ethernet cable into the microRendu.

Could you explain?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jesus, I have the physical layout to make this connection.

But it's not clear to me what the advantages might be, over direct Ethernet cable into the microRendu.

Could you explain?

This is intended for someone that does not have an Ethernet connection in the audio room.

Jesus, I couldn't get this to work. My micro rendu was working when plugged directly into a LAN port on my router. I unplugged the ethernet cable from the LAN port on my router and plugged it into a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter on my rMBP. I enabled internet sharing on the rMBP for Thunderbolt Ethernet.

When i went to sonicorbiter.com, it said it couldn't reach 192.168.2.2. I tried rebooting the rMBP, powering down/up both my DAC and the micro rendu, disconnecting/reconnecting the micro rendu USB to my DAC.

Somehow something is missing. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

I don't think the micro rendu ever really rebooted because it looked ready in way less than 45 seconds.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Jesus, I couldn't get this to work. My micro rendu was working when plugged directly into a LAN port on my router. I unplugged the ethernet cable from the LAN port on my router and plugged it into a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter on my rMBP. I enabled internet sharing on the rMBP for Thunderbolt Ethernet.

When i went to sonicorbiter.com, it said it couldn't reach 192.168.2.2. I tried rebooting the rMBP, powering down/up both my DAC and the micro rendu, disconnecting/reconnecting the micro rendu USB to my DAC.

Somehow something is missing. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

I don't think the micro rendu ever really rebooted because it looked ready in way less than 45 seconds.

The laptop still needs concurrent access to the internet via WiFi for this to work.

The laptop still needs concurrent access to the internet via WiFi for this to work.

Of course it does, and I verified that the laptop had concurrent internet access via WiFi by using Safari to connect to a few websites. So the internet sharing panel said share connection from Wifi to computers using Thunderbolt Ethernet. I think I configured it as you specified.

I am running OS X 10.11.5.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Of course it does, and I verified that the laptop had concurrent internet access via WiFi by using Safari to connect to a few websites.

I am running OS X 10.11.5.

I'm running OS X 10.11.4. The other difference is that my laptop has an board ethernet port.

[Deleted]

Jesus, I got further. Now I can get to sonicorbiter.com using Safari on the rMBP! The only problem now is that BubbleUPnP on my Galaxy S6 cannot see the micro rendu, it's only showing the local renderer.

This should be a lot easier problem to resolve. What do you suggest I try next? Should I perhaps reboot the micro rendu? I am trying to use MPD/DLNA renderer mode (which is by default active in the Audio App Switcher).

Jesus, I got further. Now I can get to sonicorbiter.com using Safari on the rMBP! The only problem now is that BubbleUPnP on my Galaxy S6 cannot see the micro rendu, it's only showing the local renderer.

This should be a lot easier problem to resolve. What do you suggest I try next? Should I perhaps reboot the micro rendu or restart MPD? I am trying to use MPD/DLNA renderer mode (which is by default active in the Audio App Switcher).

Removing and replacing the power jack will reboot the machine. You can also reboot from the GUI. Make sure the unit is on MPD/DLNA output mode. I would try JRiver on the Mac to see if it finds it then wonder out a mobile tablet.

Removing and replacing the power jack will reboot the machine. You can also reboot from the GUI. Make sure the unit is on MPD/DLNA output mode. I would try JRiver on the Mac to see if it finds it then wonder out a mobile tablet.

The micro rendu is definitely in MPD/DLNA output mode.

I rebooted the micro rendu from the GUI but BubbleUPnP still cannot see it. I also tried uninstall/reinstall of BubbleUPnP on my Galaxy S6 but that didn't help either.

If this is a BubbleUPnP issue, I guess I need to contact support for that product? I also realize this internet connection sharing solution is in beta.

Are you suggesting I try JRiver on the rMBP just to determine whether this issue is unique to BubbleUPnP? I've never used JRiver.

What control point are you successfully using with this 'Direct Connection to a Mac' setup?

The micro rendu is definitely in MPD/DLNA output mode.

I rebooted the micro rendu from the GUI but BubbleUPnP still cannot see it. I also tried uninstall/reinstall of BubbleUPnP on my Galaxy S6 but that didn't help either.

If this is a BubbleUPnP issue, I guess I need to contact support for that product? I also realize this internet connection sharing solution is in beta.

Are you suggesting I try JRiver on the rMBP just to determine whether this issue is unique to BubbleUPnP? I've never used JRiver.

What control point are you successfully using with this 'Direct Connection to a Mac' setup?

I can definitely see my unit on a tablet with this connection method.

Jesus, when I put my micro rendu back onto a LAN port on my router (after trying it on the rMBP Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter) I initially couldn't see the micro rendu. I had to do some extra step on the GUI to get the message 'MPD/DLNA reconfigured' before it would show up. I will try it again and document exactly what I did.

It seems like when I change where the micro rendu is on the network (ethernet connected to the rMBP Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter vs ethernet connected to a LAN port on the router) an additional step is required to once again establish visibility. I suppose this is because the IP address of the micro rendu gets changed?

Does this make sense to you?

I can definitely see my unit on a tablet with this connection method.

Can you please tell me what control point software you are using and whether it's on IOS or Android. Thanks.

Jesus, when I put my micro rendu back onto a LAN port on my router (after trying it on the rMBP Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter) I initially couldn't see the micro rendu. I had to do some extra step on the GUI to get the message 'MPD/DLNA reconfigured' before it would show up. I will try it again and document exactly what I did.

It seems like when I change where the micro rendu is on the network (ethernet connected to the rMBP Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter vs ethernet connected to a LAN port on the router) an additional step is required to once again establish visibility. I suppose this is because the IP address of the micro rendu gets changed?

Does this make sense to you?

You might just needs to refresh the page.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am interested in the microRendu but I am not sure I could take advantage of what it can do given my current system, listening habits and household layout.

There is no Ethernet connection in my listening room currently. My digital front-end looks like this:

CalDigit AV Pro HDD --> FireWire --> Mid-2012 MacBook Pro with SSD + 16GB RAM (JRiver/Audirvana) --> AudioQuest JitterBug --> Kimber Kable B BUS Ag USB --> PS Audio DirectStream DAC

My MacBook Pro, which is running Yosemite v10.10.5, has a dedicated Ethernet port that I am not using currently but which I have tested successfully as working via Internet Sharing per post #1, above.

These days, I listen primarily to TIDAL HiFi over Wi-Fi via a Squeezebox Touch with Enhanced Digital Output running MySqueezebox.com that is connected via TOSLINK to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

I am very happy with the sound of this TIDAL setup, which I can control with various Squeezebox apps on my iDevices, Kindle Fire HD6 and Android smartphone. And yet, I have read quite a bit about the microRendu and am intrigued about whether it would yield a meaningful improvement in sound quality – particularly on TIDAL HiFi.

If I am following this thread correctly, this is what I would end up with:

Wi-Fi --> MBP --> Ethernet cable > microRendu --> USB --> PS Audio DirectStream DAC

With that set-up, how would I access TIDAL HiFi? Also, would I be able to play my FLAC and DSD files that reside on my CalDigit AV Pro HDD, which is connected to the MBP via FireWire?

Finally, could I control TIDAL HiFi as well as FLAC/DSD file playback from an iPad 2, Kindle Fire HD6, Motorola Droid Turbo Android smartphone, and an iPhone 5S?

Thanks!

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

Hi, I am interested in the microRendu but I am not sure I could take advantage of what it can do given my current system, listening habits and household layout.

There is no Ethernet connection in my listening room currently. My digital front-end looks like this:

CalDigit AV Pro HDD --> FireWire --> Mid-2012 MacBook Pro with SSD + 16GB RAM (JRiver/Audirvana) --> AudioQuest JitterBug --> Kimber Kable B BUS Ag USB --> PS Audio DirectStream DAC

My MacBook Pro, which is running Yosemite v10.10.5, has a dedicated Ethernet port that I am not using currently but which I have tested successfully as working via Internet Sharing per post #1, above.

These days, I listen primarily to TIDAL HiFi over Wi-Fi via a Squeezebox Touch with Enhanced Digital Output running MySqueezebox.com that is connected via TOSLINK to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

I am very happy with the sound of this TIDAL setup, which I can control with various Squeezebox apps on my iDevices, Kindle Fire HD6 and Android smartphone. And yet, I have read quite a bit about the microRendu and am intrigued about whether it would yield a meaningful improvement in sound quality – particularly on TIDAL HiFi.

If I am following this thread correctly, this is what I would end up with:

Wi-Fi --> MBP --> Ethernet cable > microRendu --> USB --> PS Audio DirectStream DAC

With that set-up, how would I access TIDAL HiFi? Also, would I be able to play my FLAC and DSD files that reside on my CalDigit AV Pro HDD, which is connected to the MBP via FireWire?

Finally, could I control TIDAL HiFi as well as FLAC/DSD file playback from an iPad 2, Kindle Fire HD6, Motorola Droid Turbo Android smartphone, and an iPhone 5S?

Thanks!

It sounds like you have two completely different systems, one using Jriver to play files on your hard drive and one using SBT to play Tidal using the squeeze universe controllers.

A microRendu can work with several different network audio systems, including DLNA and squeeze box. Both those systems can handle playing your files and accessing Tidal, it is up to you what universe you want to be in.

With DLNA you can continue to use Jriver if that is your prefered GUI to control listening to music. There is an app called JRemote which can run on some devices that a LOT of people really like. Iam not sure if you can access Tidal from JRemote. There are other servers and control apps that you can use with DLNA that can play the files and do Tidal. I'm not sure if all of those can handle all the devices mentioned that you want to use for control.

With the Squeeze universe you add LMS to your MBP which will take care of reading the files, and use an LMS plugin from IckStream to access Tidal. There are control apps for all the devices you mentioned that can handle both files and Tidal. Your SBT can continue to be used and will work for playing both files and Tidal. There are also player apps that run on just about anything out there.

You get to make the decision of which universe you want to be in, primary considerations are going to be whether you want to continue to use the JRiver interface, I think JRemote will run on all your listed devices. But I don't think JRiver supports Tidal at this point.

Since you already have an SBT you might want to go with the Squeeze universe for everything.

John S.

Thank you very much, John, for the informative response. It sounds like I could do with a microRendu everything that I am doing currently even though there is no Ethernet connection in my listening room. That is what I was hoping to hear. Let's say I went with the Squeeze universe for everything. That would enable me to retire the SBT, which is what I would do assuming the sound quality of TIDAL HiFi via the mR beats TIDAL HiFi over the SBT (sound quality, rather than ergonomics, is my sole reason for considering the mR). When I go to play DSD files residing on my external HDD, though, I am not clear on how the sound would reach the DAC.

Would it simply be the following, without any WiFi in the chain?:

External HDD --> FireWire --> MBP running LMS --> Ethernet cable > microRendu --> USB --> DAC

The reason I ask is that I attempted last night without success to play DSD files via the SBT, which I had connected temporarily via USB to my DAC. The SBT was interfacing with the MBP (running the latest nightly build of LMS) via Wi-Fi and I experienced constant "rebuffering" events in which the sound would cut out as the DAC display alternated from DOP (sound) to 176.4 (no sound).

In other words, if I use the mR in the Squeeze universe to play DSD files, is there any risk of a bandwidth/rebuffering issue (either Wi-Fi based or otherwise)?

Thanks very much!

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

Update to Post #21:

Last night, I reconnected the SBT to the MBP via Ethernet and played DSD files through the SBT without incident. So it appears the SBT's Wi-Fi receiver was the weak link. Would I be correct in assuming from this that an mR connected to the MBP in place of the SBT would have no problem playing DSD files? Thanks.

Update to Post #21:

Last night, I reconnected the SBT to the MBP via Ethernet and played DSD files through the SBT without incident. So it appears the SBT's Wi-Fi receiver was the weak link. Would I be correct in assuming from this that an mR connected to the MBP in place of the SBT would have no problem playing DSD files? Thanks.

I don't see what not. Refer to note #1 above.

I don't see what not. Refer to note #1 above.

Thanks, Jesus. Would I get the same sound quality from the mR on DSD/FLAC playback this way as I would if my music files were on a NAS connected to the network? Put differently, does the fact that the music files have to travel from an external HDD (non-NAS) via FireWire to a MBP before reaching the mR defeat the sonic benefits of the mR? Thanks very much.

Hello

I've been using Sonore Rendu for a year. Great sound. No complaints.

I run JRiver via Win 10 on a Toshiba Laptop w/AMD chip.

The lap top is connected directly to the Rendu with a crossover ethernet.

From there it is a W4Sound DAC 2 to a Warpspeed Optical attenuator to a First Watt J1 to Decapo speakers.

There is one source of frustration. When I switch on the laptop, JRiver can be very slow to discover the Rendu.

Can you tell why that happens? What could I do to make the discovery more reliable?