IGNORED

SA-10 DAC / Disc Player, new 'Premium-Series' from Marantz

I am (and will be for-the-foreseeable-future) in New Zealand.

« The first day of the exhibition... is exclusively reserved for trade visitors and media people from all over the world... »

Tomorrow is when High End... :

« From Friday to Sunday anyone interested in music and technology can experience the entire range of the audio industry in the MOC. »

Merely a Thread where information and impressions can be gathered to...

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Interesting. I suppose the player will be above the SA-11S3 in terms of pricing and performance, maybe in the 4000-5000€ range.

This page has a more close up picture of the back and some more info:

SPECIAL: Die High End 2016 – Impressionen von Dali, Denon, Elac, Marantz und Panasonic | AREA DVD

The player has a newly developped Marantz-exclusive disc drive ("SACD-M3") and the external DAC input supports up to DSD256 and 32/384 PCM.

Marantz-SA-10-Back.jpg

Claude

Importantly, let's keep in mind that « the Marantz sound » are not engineered to be neutral—their heritage, 'a sweeter midband' :

[video=youtube;h_-aShUYDEo]

And of pricing, it may be that Ken Ishiwata's pursuit of 'reproducing accurate soundstage' has pushed the price-point-quality of this SA-10 higher too. For, searching this morning, I find the PM-10 to which it's partnered, Google-translated from original Dutch :

« The PM-10 priced at €7,999 is completely new territory for Marantz, whose current flagship [PM-11S3] is €4,000 cheaper.

Marantz-PM-10-Back.jpg

What's so special about the new PM-10 ? Well, the Dual Mono amp has a separate power supply for the preamp and volume. You can also find inside the amplifier symmetrical and fully analog circuitry with HDAM, taken directly from the Marantz SC-7 (the Legendary series).

Marantz-PM-10-Inside.jpg

Furthermore, the SA-10 includes the Marantz developed SACD-M3 disc-transport technology, supports (SA)CDs, has a USB-B port for Hi-res audio in PCM/DXD format (32bit/384kHz) and DSD (up to 11.2 mHz). SACD player will, like the PM-10, be available in the fall. The price of this is unfortunately still unknown. »

20160505164027_Marantz_2.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Just like it's understandable why others (meaning not me—I enjoy your witless provocations) petition you to be banned.

This kind of shortcoming/design flaw could probably be removed with good equalization/room correction software.

Importantly' date=' let's keep in mind that « [i']the Marantz sound[/i] » are not engineered to be neutral—their heritage, 'a sweeter midband' :

[video=youtube;h_-aShUYDEo]

«

an accurate picture

Interesting. I suppose the player will be above the SA-11S3 in terms of pricing and performance, maybe in the 4000-5000€ range.

This swedish dealer writes that the price will be around 7500€.

Around 8600€ for the amp PM-10

Ny referens-SACD Spelare från Marantz, SA-10. Prisbild ca 70 000kr.

Ny referens-integrerad från Marantz, PM-10. 2x200 Watt i 8Ohm, prisbild ca 80 000kr.

https://www.facebook.com/Ljudupplevelser-133562243332267/

Claude

What speakers where paired with this combo on the picture?

Fink Team WM3

Fink Team is a new brand created almost spur-of-moment by Karl-Heinz Fink, who has designed speakers for Mission, Naim, and many other companies. The WM3 speaker shown at High End 2016 was originally designed and built for use in product-development experiments; however, Marantz wanted to use it for its High End 2016 demo, so a pair wound up here. Response was so enthusiastic that Fink has decided to produce it commercially, at a projected price of about €40,000/pr. It has a 15" woofer in its own separate enclosure, two 5.25" flat-diaphragm midranges, and an AMT tweeter.

IMG_9846-2878-800-534-90-wm-right_bottom-100-ssnwatermark2png.jpg

SoundStage! Global | SoundStageGlobal.com - High End 2016 Product Coverage Gallery 3 (go to picture 12 of the slideshow)

picture 13 says on the Marantz combo:

Marantz introduced a pair of new components: the SA-10 SACD player (right, €7000) and the PM-10 integrated amplifier (€8000). The SA-10 has a USB input that will accept up to 11.2MHz DSD and 384kHz PCM. The PM-10 comes standard with an MM/MC phono stage and is said to be a dual-mono design. Both 10-series component designs were tweaked by Marantz's Ken Ishiwata for improved sound quality.

IMG_9851-2879-800-534-90-wm-right_bottom-100-ssnwatermark2png.jpg

Claude

Let's recall that their SA-7S1, 9 years ago, retailed at €7,000 ; an internal 1280 x 1024 view :

XL_SA-7S1_inside.jpg

Why did they discontinued that price-point-quality ? The financial crisis of 2007–08 may have contributed to...

But anyhow, from October, they're releasing again that level of products if you're into their sound and have the money.

You've noted that SC-7S2 and MA-9S2 have been referenced when introducing PM-10 ?

«

an accurate picture

Their NA-11S1 has 8 fuses :

1013mar.ins.jpg

« The beefy power supply features a high current toroidal power transformer with multiple oxygen free copper (OFC) secondary windings [e.g. supplying various analog and digital circuits separately], and is housed in a copper-plated enclosure for maximum shielding. »

Seemingly, 6 again for SA-11S3 :

c26-marantz-sa-11s3-4-l-a.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Just like it's understandable why others (meaning not me—I enjoy your witless provocations) petition you to be banned.

I don't think that is a fair comment/ criticism of WGScott. I think you owe him an apology.

I don't find WGScott's comment either witless or provocative.

He does presume that the warm Marantz sound- style is inferior to a more balanced/neutral presentation, but that is not an unreasonable personal taste. Nor is his proposal to ameliorate the presentation unreasonable.

I happen to prefer the Marantz style personally, but that doesn't mean someone who prefers a more neutral presentation is any less entitled to their opinion.

What I do object to is people who gratuitously make personal attack on others for their opinions or opposing viewpoints. Tastes vary, as do interpretations.

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Claude, following up on your understanding of German, HiFi-Journal has published a web entry of the 10-Series set, interestingly :

Marantz-SA10-2.jpg

« Des Weiteren will der SA 10 ein „Upscaling“ auf DSD-Niveau beherrschen, was man mit einer eigens entwickelten Technologie erzielt. »

Have you time to provide readers a better translation ?

And I'm not at leisure, right now, to entertain jdjaye, everybody

«

an accurate picture

I don't think that is a fair comment/ criticism of WGScott. I think you owe him an apology.

I don't find WGScott's comment either witless or provocative.

He does presume that the warm Marantz sound- style is inferior to a more balanced/neutral presentation, but that is not an unreasonable personal taste. Nor is his proposal to ameliorate the presentation unreasonable.

I happen to prefer the Marantz style personally, but that doesn't mean someone who prefers a more neutral presentation is any less entitled to their opinion.

What I do object to is people who gratuitously make personal attack on others for their opinions or opposing viewpoints. Tastes vary, as do interpretations.

Thanks, jdjaye.

Admittedly, I was trying to tease him a little, but in a friendly way that unfortunately he was hell-bent upon misinterpreting.

As to his thoughtless teasing, readers can think upon the design-approch rationale given :

[video=youtube_share;h_-aShUYDEo]

Simply, his dogged focus of me exceeds « a little », they're all on record, I'll quickly cite most recent, succinct exchange :

Your validation will never come through me.

How about instead of cut-and-paste quotes' date=' you tell us what [b']you[/b] think about stuff?

«

an accurate picture

You should understand that people who recourse at « trying to be helpful » are summarily encouraged to get stuffed. Be it your part to think it over with those of you...

That, too, I think is a misunderstanding on your part. Those of us who are encouraging you to express your own opinions on stuff are trying to be helpful.

And « helpful » is that what you regard yourself to be ? You're at this moment on 11,479 Total Posts since 04-19-2010, averaging 5.16 Posts Per Day, having started 488 Threads, and made 50 Blog Entries.

«

an accurate picture