IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

Thanks. Good to know!

Will also be very interested in direct comparison of Sotm BPSU and the new Uptone unit when it becomes available.

Realized today that I didn't bother to try the original Regen MPS unit on the microRendu. I don't expect much from it, but it will be another point of reference.

I am powering with a JS-2 (7V; the other rail left unplugged) and will get a better sense before I switch to my SOtM dual battery supply. I suppose it makes no difference at the JS-2 9V; dunno.

I am powering with a JS-2 (7V; the other rail left unplugged) and will get a better sense before I switch to my SOtM dual battery supply. I suppose it makes no difference at the JS-2 9V; dunno.

Look forward to your impressions.

Not sure what you mean about JS-2 7v and then JS-2 9v.

Can you use it at both of these voltages?

Yes, the Uptone JS-2 has two rails, each adjustable at 5V, 7V, 9V or 12V. When I use my Windows NAA machine I power it with the rail I have set for 12V (but I don't keep it that rail plugged in if using the other rail, as ground is shared). The other rail is currently set for 7V for uRendu but I could do 9V (probably just run hotter and break in faster, as per Jesus). My SOtM battery is 7V.

Bob, what fiber switch are you using successfully with the uR?

I can only comment on the uR with a new as well iPower. Sold the Regen b/f I could compare it's PS to the iPower so I can only say, I'm very pleased with the uR and iPower. Great sound!

Not a fiber switch, just two MC100CM converters to isolate from the lan.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Yes, the Uptone JS-2 has two rails, each adjustable at 5V, 7V, 9V or 12V. When I use my Windows NAA machine I power it with the rail I have set for 12V (but I don't keep it that rail plugged in if using the other rail, as ground is shared). The other rail is currently set for 7V for uRendu but I could do 9V (probably just run hotter and break in faster, as per Jesus). My SOtM battery is 7V.

Just so you know I'm using 9VDC from the JS-2 and the µRendu is barely even warm to the touch.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Nice options!

Not a fiber switch, just two MC100CM converters to isolate from the lan.

Thanks Bob.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Some thoughts on power supplies.

I previously ran a Logitech Touch, which was replaced with an sms100 and sotm battery.

I then added a LH USB cable with split power and data out of the sms100 usb.

The power leg of the LH cable was supplied by an Anker USB battery I had lying around and the improvement was amazing.

So my setup powering was:

sotm battery to run sms100

anker battery to replace 5V on split usb cable to DAC.

i'll be getting my uRendu in June and it will be interesting to see if the split data/power LH usb cable has the same impact, or if the uRendu is an all-in-one solution that achieves the same magic.

of course if the uRendu is even better, my head may explode due to an overload of goodness

on a separate power supply note, does anyone have a recommendation for obtaining a good clean 7V from a car system (i.e. off the 12V car battery)?

Some thoughts on power supplies.

I previously ran a Logitech Touch, which was replaced with an sms100 and sotm battery.

I then added a LH USB cable with split power and data out of the sms100 usb.

The power leg of the LH cable was supplied by an Anker USB battery I had lying around and the improvement was amazing.

So my setup powering was:

sotm battery to run sms100

anker battery to replace 5V on split usb cable to DAC.

i'll be getting my uRendu in June and it will be interesting to see if the split data/power LH usb cable has the same impact, or if the uRendu is an all-in-one solution that achieves the same magic.

of course if the uRendu is even better, my head may explode due to an overload of goodness

on a separate power supply note, does anyone have a recommendation for obtaining a good clean 7V from a car system (i.e. off the 12V car battery)?

You have to be very careful with this. Most cars exceed 12VDC. Probably best to use an isolated power supply that you can remove and charge externally. Use your SOtM battery power supply in the car.

You have to be very careful with this. Most cars exceed 12VDC. Probably best to use an isolated power supply that you can remove and charge externally. Use your SOtM battery power supply in the car.

He can use an isolated DC-DC converter like the Astrodyne and he'll be fine. Very simple to do and will offer a regulated 9VDC if it can handle it. I've had great results with these on high level DAQ sensors.

ASD05-12S9 | Power Supplies | eCatalog | Astrodyne TDI

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

He can use an isolated DC-DC converter like the Astrodyne and he'll be fine. Very simple to do and will offer a regulated 9VDC if it can handle it. I've had great results with these on high level DAQ sensors.

ASD05-12S9 | Power Supplies | eCatalog | Astrodyne TDI

thanks.

i'm not actually planning on putting the uRendu in my car (you can exhale now Jesus)

my car system is an OdroidU3 running squeezeplug and a wifi AP. the usb output goes into a GeekOut V2, analog output to aux in of my car's stereo front end. i currently have some dc-dc converters to give me 5V for the OdroidU3 and a fan (needed since this operates closed in the glovebox).

i wouldn't expect much from the usb output of the OdroidU3 and plan to put my uptone usb regen between the Odroid and the GeekOut, hence the question about getting clean DC in the car.........but i will have to try the uRendu in the car just for the hell of it.

Just so you know I'm using 9VDC from the JS-2 and the µRendu is barely even warm to the touch.

I'm finding the same is true using the 9vcd iPower supply, running barely warm to the touch which sort of surprised me, I was expecting it to produce more heat than that.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Jason, what made you choose 9V vs 7V? I may change to 9V but wonder if it's even worth the comparison. Thx

P.S. Never was able to compare to SOtM dual battery as it failed within 10 min every time (and is likely the reason behind my Zuma failure since it powered my SSD for forever until suddenly the thing would reboot every 30 min). Jesus has offered to look at it.

I'm finding the same is true using the 9vcd iPower supply, running barely warm to the touch which sort of surprised me, I was expecting it to produce more heat than that.

Tried the iFi iPower again today. This time I plugged it into my Blue Circle power conditioner.... Zowee! Think the iPower may be staying in place until the coming of the Mystery PSU. Sounding REALLY nice - at least as good as the Aries>Regen chain , IME ... and the best is yet to come. :D

Those with both Regen and uRendu, have anyone tried the Meanwell PSU for the Regen on the uRendu and compared this against the iFi one for uRendu?

Yes, I have done just that.

The little iFi iPower, to me in my system, sounds substantially better.

I also like it better than the 7.5v output of my HDPlex 100.

My 8.3v Li-On battery supply has a smoother/rounder presentation which is an alternative, though I prefer the iFi overall.

Tomorrow afternoon I will get my Vinnie Rossi LIO updated so it can power the microRendu. Right now I am using the power supply that came with the UpTone Regen as my iFi power supply is noisy and I haven't been able to determine why.

George

Tomorrow afternoon I will get my Vinnie Rossi LIO updated so it can power the microRendu. Right now I am using the power supply that came with the UpTone Regen as my iFi power supply is noisy and I haven't been able to determine why.

George

Wow, that is odd. While mine was not at all noticeably noisy, the sound did improve when I plugged it into my Blue Circle power conditioner.

I moved some things around and can now plug the iFi into a Pi Audio UbrrBuss or a Furman IT-Ref 20 balanced power conditioner. Hopefully that will take care of the noise.

I would like to compare the iFi power supply to Vinnie's solution.

George

I moved some things around and can now plug the iFi into a Pi Audio UbrrBuss or a Furman IT-Ref 20 balanced power conditioner. Hopefully that will take care of the noise.

I would like to compare the iFi power supply to Vinnie's solution.

George

Great, that will be interesting and helpful.

Received my microRendu today. Install was simple and it fired up without any issues. I locked right into Roon Ready mode and it sounded good right out of the box with the IFi power supply. The microRendu is within a cabinet, so I modifed a Parasound zbreeze fan (by installing taller feet to the zbreeze) to keep the device cool. Looking forward to more listening and any improvements after it settles in. Great job Sonore!

Moved the Regen over to the iMac Cambridge Audio DAC setup.

I strongly recommend looking for a HP 6286A D.C. variable power supply. These were built around 1980 and cost around $1000 even back then. They were made to power HP test equipment , so they are very accurate and well built. You can adjust voltage and amperage by the oversize meter on the faceplate. My system sounded best at 8.9 volts and I do believe that different voltages slightly alter the presentation.