IGNORED

Post images of the microRendu in your system here

Mojo + microRendu

91ee6dd7539d2178d370d0173fc2a11a.jpg

I see you have Ikea? bamboo cutting board underneath :). All bamboo here too. What's underneath? Mapleshade rubber and cork here.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

I see you have Ikea? bamboo cutting board underneath :). All bamboo here too. What's underneath? Mapleshade rubber and cork here.

I have Stillpoints Ultras under the rest of my gear. I've placed them on bamboo boards as these enhance their efficacy. And yes these are from IKEA. :-)

Ultras seemed overkill for the lightweight Mojo and microRendu. So there are simply a set of three (now-discontinued) Stillpoints cones under that smaller bamboo board.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Albrecht - I see your still playing with the network isolation:)

In my photo just under his you should see an FMC just to the right of the microRendu. Optical fiber made important improvements with my Aries. Not sure yet if it's helping the microRendu.

I've not had problems playing DSD as reported by others, but I am using Roon and playing only up to DSD64 (so far).

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Ultrarunner - that is very clean.

jtwrace - Vinnie did a nice job on the module...enjoy

Albrecht - I see your still playing with the network isolation:)

kennyb123 - I always wondered what a Mojo looked liked.

Thanks you for posting these

Thanks, yes. Got the fiber working by switching the FMCs to force & rebooting. Then, doing a complete power down of the microRendu from the Web IF. I don't know if the complete shutdown of the mR helped, - but it's working now!!

I did notice a difference in sound with fiber vs CAT6.

I have Stillpoints Ultras under the rest of my gear. I've placed them on bamboo boards as these enhance their efficacy. And yes these are from IKEA. :-)

Ultras seemed overkill for the lightweight Mojo and microRendu. So there are simply a set of three (now-discontinued) Stillpoints cones under that smaller bamboo board.

Thanks Kenny.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

I reorganized things and moved past my temporary set-up for the microRendu, arranging the digital source components on one shelf of my Symposium rack:

P5210833.jpg

The microRendu is connected to an iFi Micro iUSB3.0 via the supplied Type A-B adapter, and an LH Labs Lightspeed 2G USB cable connects an iFi Micro iDAC2.

I used the iUSB3.0 because the iDAC2 is bus powered, in order to avoid excessive heat in running the microRendu at 9vdc, I wanted the current to be supplied by something other than the microRendu.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I reorganized things and moved past my temporary set-up for the microRendu, arranging the digital source components on one shelf of my Symposium rack:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26411[/ATTACH]

The microRendu is connected to an iFi Micro iUSB3.0 via the supplied Type A-B adapter, and an LH Labs Lightspeed 2G USB cable connects an iFi Micro iDAC2.

I used the iUSB3.0 because the iDAC2 is bus powered, in order to avoid excessive heat in running the microRendu at 9vdc, I wanted the current to be supplied by something other than the microRendu.

Interesting. I can't help wondering if your better off using a better PS into the microRendu and just connecting it directly to the DAC.

Interesting. I can't help wondering if your better off using a better PS into the microRendu and just connecting it directly to the DAC.

I can't help but wonder that too.

A power supply upgrade is in the plan, likely the UpTone LPS-1 will replace the iPower 9v, and I'm considering energizing the LPS-1 with a battery.

Or, if LH Labs would ever build and ship my Vi DAC Tube, that too would remove the need for the iUSB3.0 as that DAC isn't bus powered.

All in good time, if I were betting I'd predict the UpTone LPS-1 will beat the Vi DAC into my system based on LH Labs' history of long delays in releasing/shipping products.

In the meantime I've borrowed the iDAC2 from my desktop system, to see frontline duty with the microRendu in my big rig.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I can't help but wonder that too.

A power supply upgrade is in the plan, likely the UpTone LPS-1 will replace the iPower 9v, and I'm considering energizing the LPS-1 with a battery.

Or, if LH Labs would ever build and ship my Vi DAC Tube, that too would remove the need for the iUSB3.0 as that DAC isn't bus powered.

All in good time, if I were betting I'd predict the UpTone LPS-1 will beat the Vi DAC into my system based on LH Labs' history of long delays in releasing/shipping products.

In the meantime I've borrowed the iDAC2 from my desktop system, to see frontline duty with the microRendu in my big rig.

I would go ahead and try the DAC direct into the microRendu. Yes at 9V it will get pretty warm, but it should not get too hot. I ran mine for a week off the iPower 9V and a bus powered DAC and it did get quite warm, but was not too hot.

If you are still worried about the heat try and mount the microRendu on its side (one rounded edge down, the other rounded edge up), this allows air to flow up both sides and is by far the best position for cooling. In this position mine only gets a little warm when driving a bus powered DAC.

John S.

I would go ahead and try the DAC direct into the microRendu. Yes at 9V it will get pretty warm, but it should not get too hot. I ran mine for a week off the iPower 9V and a bus powered DAC and it did get quite warm, but was not too hot.

If you are still worried about the heat try and mount the microRendu on its side (one rounded edge down, the other rounded edge up), this allows air to flow up both sides and is by far the best position for cooling. In this position mine only gets a little warm when driving a bus powered DAC.

John S.

Thanks John, that makes sense to try it arranged vertically for more surface area/better air cooling, although for it to stand up that way I think I'd need a short USB cable, the hard adapter won't work.

Then again, the Sympoium rack is one large piece of metal, itself a giant heat sink, so I probably shouldn't have much in the way of overheating worries. I don't use the little rubber feet on components, as they interfere with the constrained layer damping effect this rack affords, so the metal chassis sit directly on the metal shelves.

I could also employ the "copper dice as heat sink" trick that is very effective in cooling the hot running LH Labs GO1000 DAC:

P2070796.jpg

Or just be patient and wait for the UpTone LPS-1!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

quote_icon.pngOriginally Posted by JohnSwenson viewpost-right.png

John S.

The iDAC2 has a consumption spec of <1.5W, so at 5V that means no more than 300mA?

Nothing to worry about?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

The iDAC2 has a consumption spec of <1.5W, so at 5V that means no more than 300mA?

Nothing to worry about?

I'll answer my own question: nothing to worry about.

The mRendu only warmed up a little supplying bus power to the iDAC2. Certainly not what I'd call hot, but to mitigate the additional heat I placed a heat sink on top, after which it was once again barely warm to the touch.

More importantly, it sounds better this way, eliminating the iUSB3.0 and it's own 9v iPower, as well as the dual head Gemini USB cable, which was replaced with a Chord Silver Plus:

P5270838.jpg

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I'll answer my own question: nothing to worry about.

The mRendu only warmed up a little supplying bus power to the iDAC2. Certainly not what I'd call hot, but to mitigate the additional heat I placed a heat sink on top, after which it was once again barely warm to the touch.

More importantly, it sounds better this way, eliminating the iUSB3.0 and it's own 9v iPower, as well as the dual head Gemini USB cable, which was replaced with a Chord Silver Plus:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26520[/ATTACH]

The endplates are slightly raised and the heatsink is not touching the body. Try rotating it 90 degrees. If you put something under it you get additional air circulating. Also, if you want to cool it down just shut off the DAC when you are not using it.

The endplates are slightly raised and the heatsink is not touching the body. Try rotating it 90 degrees. If you put something under it you get additional air circulating. Also, if you want to cool it down just shut off the DAC when you are not using it.

Thanks Jesus, I took your suggestion and I made a few final tweaks to the microRendu iDAC2 set-up.

I added a coupling plate between the top of the microRendu and the heat sink in order to bridge the gap caused by the mRendu's end caps being slightly taller than it's body, making for less than optimal contact with the heat sink. With the coupling plate there is now better heat sink contact with the mRendu body, allowing for more efficient thermal coupling.

I also added a Symposium Large Coupler underneath the mRendu, which allows some air to circulate underneath it while maintaining thermal coupling and constrained layer damping with the metal rack shelf.

And lastly, I placed the iDAC2 on top of Symposium Rollerblock Series 2+, and placed a Shakti On-Line across it's analog output.

This arrangement is sonically fantastic.

I don't suggest that anyone really needs to take these steps when using the microRendu at 9vdc with a bus powered DAC, it really was just slightly warmer to the touch without these measures supplying <300mA to the iDAC2. But I already had this stuff lying around, so hey, why not use it?

This will be the final revision until either the forthcoming UpTone Audio LPS-1 UltraCap power supply, or the LH Labs Vi DAC Tube arrive:

P1000710.jpg

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Gonna have to change your moniker to MikeyJenga ;-)

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Gonna have to change your moniker to MikeyJenga ;-)

Wow I sure hope not!

Actually the mRendu sits pretty firmly in place despite the looks of that set-up.

However the iDAC2 on ball bearings... not so much. Thats a balancing act with the cables at each end providing a little bit of weight/drag, so a more careful placement is necessary there.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

micro1_zps0mh6cauy.jpg

micro2_zpszacjfzbh.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

If the El Cheapo is powering your microRendu, you may want to dial down the voltage. Range is 6-9V.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26608[/ATTACH]

It's hiding, but only from the camera. It and Roon have changed the way I listen to music. The sound of the MicroRendu would make it worth the price, and the logistics of setting it up are so easy.

Thanks for posting the image.

If the El Cheapo is powering your microRendu, you may want to dial down the voltage. Range is 6-9V.

I imagine you have to open the LPS to lower the voltage. What's inside that you adjust? I have the same LPS and it registers 9.2.

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks