IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

New press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Ayre Acoustics, Inc. introduces the QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub.

Boulder, Colorado, USA - 27 April 2016 - Ayre's latest entry in the world of digital audio combines a decades-long record of ground-breaking innovation in both digital and analog audio with revolutionary features to set a new benchmark in the field.

Every conceivable digital input, including Ethernet, StreamlengthTM asynchronous USB, S/PDIF (in three different formats), and even direct connection to thumb drives and NAS storage allows for unlimited flexibility and convenience. Streaming with both Tidal and Deezer are fully supported, and Roon ready control is directly integrated as well. Whether your music library comprises physical media, computer-based files, or streamed from the highest quality lossless services, all are seamlessly accessible with unprecedented ease.

Ayre is proud to partner with ESS Technologies (www.esstech.com) to debut their new flagship D/A converter chip, the ES9038PRO in the QX-5. This advanced device builds on ESS's award-winning technology to set new standards for linearity and dynamic range. Combined with Ayre's custom minimum-phase digital filter, implemented in a low noise FPGA, this synergistic integration renders an astonishing level of detail and purity. Delivering all of music's emotional power to the listener - regardless of format.

Ayre has also partnered with Morion (www.morion.com.ru) to develop a new high-performance crystal oscillator that offers the lowest levels of phase noise in the industry. Morion has decades of experience supplying satellite-grade crystal oscillators, including those powering the guidance system of the International Space Station. A specially developed new doubly-rotated cut quartz crystal allows this high level of performance to be achieved without the need for expensive temperature-controlled ovens. Precision timing is at the heart of conversion between the digital and analog domains, and the ease and fluidity of analog is fully realized for the first time with the QX-5.

The Ayre QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub. This is music!

ABOUT:

Ayre Acoustics, Inc. has been steadily developing a full array of new audio and video technologies since 1993. Pioneering the use of zero-feedback real-time amplification, built on a foundation of the highest performance power supplies, and maximizing the circuit's performance capabilities through the use of fully-balanced, differential circuits from input to output, Ayre's designs have continually won countless awards for decades. All Ayre products are designed and built by hand in Boulder, Colorado, using only components from the highest quality supply partners in North America, Japan, and Europe.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Exciting news. No word no price or launch date?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

This isn't even on their web site. If it was April 1st I would be suspicious. [emoji6]

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I found a picture of the QX-5.

Not surprisingly, it appears to be the same chassis as the KX-5. Pretty interesting that they're gonna have "every conceivable digital input". I haven't wished for another input on my QB-9 a single time.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Not surprisingly, it appears to be the same chassis as the KX-5. Pretty interesting that they're gonna have "every conceivable digital input". I haven't wished for another input on my QB-9 a single time.

I would have used an ethernet port if had one.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I would have used an ethernet port if had one.

Yes, the USB-only has been a deal-breaker for some. I'm just not one of them. All the audio I want to come to my speakers goes through my QB-9 starting at my PC via USB: internet radio, CDs (I almost never do this), DVDs, and, of course, FLAC and WAV files. I just don't have any need for anything else. Some folks have said that the ethernet port sounds better than USB, but I've hardly heard any computer-side tweak that was audible to my ears (I've heard *very* slight differences among music players and USB cables). IMO, the QB-9 is more-or-less "immune" to computer-side tweaks, probably because of its isolation and independent USB power supply. YMMV.

Regardless, I might try the QX-5 if I win the lottery but I'm saving my "pennies" for the AX-5 integrated.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

IMO, the QB-9 is more-or-less "immune" to computer-side tweaks, probably because of its isolation and independent USB power supply.

As a QB-9 owner I can say that’s definitely not the case. What is special is that it does not play well with any upsampling software (HQP etc.).

The QX-5 might be the perfect dac for me. In the meantime I’ll “Roonify” my QB-9 with a microRendu.

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

As a QB-9 owner I can say that’s definitely not the case. What is special is that it does not play well with any upsampling software (HQP etc.).

Ayre spent a lot of time and effort optimizing the minimum phase filter and upsampling process in the QB-9. It probably is not the best choice for those who want to perform upsampling/custom filtering in software. It would be nice if DACs let you decide to bypass completely any internal upsampling/filter for those that want do it in software.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

As a QB-9 owner I can say that’s definitely not the case.

I have read other accounts of tweaks making "big" differences with the QB-9 but I've heard little to no difference with stuff like battery-powered laptops v. PC with SMPS, Mac v. PC, music player software, FLAC v. WAV. I was curious about the SOTM USB card but I think the QB-9's USB power renders that redundant. I was reluctant to get into PC audio because I kept reading about all these tweaks and worried that I would get it "wrong". Instead, I found that these tweaks hardly matter at all and that it's pretty easy to get great sound. I pretty much don't worry about this stuff anymore, just play whatever strikes my fancy and bliss out.

What tweaks do you find audible?

Tweaks: getting quite OT, but see my signature.

I suspect the QX-5 is far from reality at this point, as the ESS 9038 is not even available to developers yet... That said, I trust that Ayre will have something special here when it is available.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I wish for an HDMI input so I could connect an Apple TV.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I suspect the QX-5 is far from reality at this point, as the ESS 9038 is not even available to developers yet... That said, I trust that Ayre will have something special here when it is available.

It's kind of surprising that a company such as Ayre would launch a product and say a major part of that product is a chip they've never heard.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It appears that chip was announced at CES. And that pic I linked shows what appears to be a prototype QX-5, Is it not possible that ESS has supplied pre-production chips to Ayre? It might not be much longer?

It's kind of surprising that a company such as Ayre would launch a product and say a major part of that product is a chip they've never heard.

So far as I know, the ES9038PRO (final) sample will only be available by the second half of this year, they are still trying to improve some of the performance so there is no chip available at all at right moment. I bet the QX-5 will only be available for a live demo by RMAF show this year.

So far as I know, the ES9038PRO (final) sample will only be available by the second half of this year, they are still trying to improve some of the performance so there is no chip available at all at right moment. I bet the QX-5 will only be available for a live demo by RMAF show this year.

The new Resonessence DAC has the ES9038Pro which was demonstrated at AXPONA. They are currently taking orders on this DAC.

The new Resonessence DAC has the ES9038Pro which was demonstrated at AXPONA. They are currently taking orders on this DAC.

Just checked their press release, they are using ES9028PRO, not 9038PRO. 9028PRO is an minor improved version of ES9018S which should be available very soon. But it is quite a different chip compare to 9038PRO (which based on a new structure).

http://www.resonessencelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/VERITAS-Product-Press-release.pdf

Just checked their press release, they are using ES9028PRO, not 9038PRO. 9028PRO is an minor improved version of ES9018S which should be available very soon. But it is quite a different chip compare to 9038PRO (which based on a new structure).

http://www.resonessencelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/VERITAS-Product-Press-release.pdf

Yes, I just saw that but you beat me to the post (having internet problems).

Or sell DSD DACs after his entertaining anti-DSD rant....[emoji14]

How could Ayre launch, or even design a dac without a dac chip?