IGNORED

Dirac Live 1.2 for Mac

Dirac Live 1.2 for Mac can now be downloaded by license owners at http://portal.dirac.se

also those users who have trialed the previous version can go through the shop process again and get a new trial licence that will start anew without taking the previous trial into account.

It has been reported to work well with Audirvana's Direct mode without requiring plugins.

Thanks for your patience :)

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hey Flavio,

So was very excited to see DAP 1.2 released for the Mac. Went to install it and ... it isn't playing well with Roon. Continuous stutter/noise. I went back to DAP 1.1 and that works. Went back to DAP 1.2 and I get the same problem. I know it's not the filters as it happens with filters on or off. I also discovered that DAP 1.2 does work with iTunes (via selection DIRAC as system output). So I don't know if its Roon or DIRAC 1.2 but they just aren't working together.

Christian

Should have searched the Roon forums before posting - turning on power of 2 buffer size in Roon solved the issue. I'll post back with impressions of DAP 1.2. The only 2 things I have noticed so far:

1. There is a clipping indicator on the Mac now - well, it's labelled "+0 Db" but I assume that is just a change in label. Please clarify if this is the same as "clip" on the Windows side.

2. Often get a message saying that DAP needs to be default device in Sound Preferences when starting up. Not sure what the point of that is - I don't want my system output going via DIRAC just what I choose to go there. (only Roon in my setup)

Just a question re: licensing... is a Dirac license transferrable to a another party, i.e. once purchased can it legitimately be bought or sold "secondhand" with an official mechanism to transfer ownership? Thanks.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Just a question re: licensing... is a Dirac license transferrable to a another party, i.e. once purchased can it legitimately be bought or sold "secondhand" with an official mechanism to transfer ownership? Thanks.

The answer is on the FAQ page :

Is it possible for me to sell my license to someone else?

Your license and account are personal and cannot be sold to a third party.

Hello :)

@wgscott

the plugins have not been released b.t.w. they don't seem necessary for using Audirvana's Direct mode with Dirac Live 1.2

@ jjkale

Dirac Live 1.2 for Windows is still being beta tested and we will release it as soon as possible

@ camott

the clipping indicator is important... not everybody is aware of the possibility to adjust the assigned headroom in the DAP, it is a somehow hidden setting that can be reached by clicking the blue triangle on the left of the DAP window.

It is conservatively set at a default value of -8dB but it should gradually be reduced while keeping an eye on the 0dB clipping indicator to avoid incurring into digital clipping

@ occamrazor

yes, jjumper indications are correct

@ jjumper

if you uninstall the previous version while being online to then restart the computer itself and install the new version everything should be OK

Good listenings, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hello :)

@wgscott

the plugins have not been released b.t.w. they don't seem necessary for using Audirvana's Direct mode with Dirac Live 1.2

I encourage Dirac to make these available. There are many other advantages to the plug-in architecture (including simplicity and stability).

@wgscott

One issue with using the DAP vs the AU plugins, is if you are using a DAC with USB HID volume control. Routing audio through the DAP as an intermediate step inbetween your software player and the DAC seems to kill the USB HID volume commands being passed through to the DAC, so you lose that functionality. At least from what I can tell...

The plugins are also just a much, much better way to do it. Have been trying Roon with the DAP and the interaction works sometimes, but it's a less than satisfactory way of doing things. The AU plugin is much better.

I would really like to see Dirac work with Roon to get the AU plugin support in Roon, though am aware there are some technical issues with that.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

One issue with using the DAP vs the AU plugins, is if you are using a DAC with USB HID volume control. Routing audio through the DAP as an intermediate step inbetween your software player and the DAC seems to kill the USB HID volume commands being passed through to the DAC, so you lose that functionality. At least from what I can tell...

The plugins are also just a much, much better way to do it. Have been trying Roon with the DAP and the interaction works sometimes, but it's a less than satisfactory way of doing things. The AU plugin is much better.

I would really like to see Dirac work with Roon to get the AU plugin support in Roon, though am aware there are some technical issues with that.

Completely agree on both points.

That's interesting that your DAC supports USB-HIB in the forward direction from host to DAC. My DAC has USB-HID support but it looks like it is just in the other direction from DAC to host. Roon doesn't really support USB-HIB in this direction given its concept of zone's, etc so I have actually built a small piece of OS X code that intercepts USB HID commands and passes them through to Roon as keyboard shortcuts. I can play/pause, next/prev track, and also control roon DSP Volume from my DAC remote - though not necessary with the HW volume on my DAC/amp. If I could go the other way as well and control HW volume via Roon's "use device controls" that would be even better but it looks like your M-DAC is one of few that support this.

The DAP application itself is a nuisance and having it run as an AU plugin within Roon would be gold.

I have actually built a small piece of OS X code that intercepts USB HID commands and passes them through to Roon as keyboard shortcuts. I can play/pause, next/prev track, and also control roon DSP Volume from my DAC remote - though not necessary with the HD volume on my DAC/amp.

Are you willing to share it?

The DAP application itself is a nuisance and having it run as an AU plugin within Roon would be gold.

This is bronze:

Use AU plugins for free with any Apple audio software - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

Are you willing to share it?

Yes I was thinking of doing so. I need to generify it so it works reliably with any USB DAC and package it up. I'll post back here when available, via Github or something.

But then I am running another app as the bridge instead of DAP - seems like this is just making things more complicated, not less. What would the advantages be over running DAP?

But then I am running another app as the bridge instead of DAP - seems like this is just making things more complicated, not less. What would the advantages be over running DAP?

I don't think the AU plug-in requires installing a kernel extension.

As I said, it is bronze, not golden.

I'm using Dirac with A+ and have installed the plug in beta.

Just to make sure, is it correct that updating to 1.2 will have no effect on the plug in?

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Hello...

@ Danold

I'm pleased to read that you've found no flaws with Dirac Live 1.2 together with Roon 1.2 (I imagine that you are using that latest Roon version)

@ LBob

I confess I don't know, if you have the opportunity to try I'd be pleased to learn from you :)

(you can always restore previous configurations)

@ hifi_swlon

No release notes I think but you may appreciate the presence of the 0dB clipping indicator that was missing in the Mac version and is useful in DSP gain setting. did you try that?

Best, Flavio

Hello...

@ hifi_swlon

No release notes I think but you may appreciate the presence of the 0dB clipping indicator that was missing in the Mac version and is useful in DSP gain setting. did you try that?

Thanks Flavio

Unfortunately I'd returned my loaned mic stand, and as my speakers have moved since I last used Dirac I had to await delivery of a new mic stand! Should be able to test this weekend or next week, so will download and try ASAP. Glad to hear the clipping has been added I think that will be really useful.

For me the 'device output' handling is key, if that's working as expected I should be good to go.

I will say though I was a little curious that there were no new features or other enhancements added. I hear this release was 18 months in the making so I suppose I was expecting some additions/enhancements/improvements. I'm not a license holder at the moment, but assuming all goes well and I re-purchase, I'd like to think that software at this kind of price point would be constantly updated and enhanced…..

Also, I was expecting the AU plugin to be released with this version…. are there any updates on its status and the intentions for the future - will it be included at some point or will it be an extra when finally released?

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

Hi hifi_swlon,

I understand your point but Dirac Live has been updated when useful with "decimal" releases from 1.0 to 1.2 since it had been made available some years ago and I imagine that customers are somehow happy that they never had to pay for an update.

Anyhow the plugins will have a cost when they will be released, I don't have an ETA 'cause we have many concurrent ongoing projects and agreements regarding Dirac technologies... this is the latest one dated April 21st:

Dirac announces strategic audio technology distribution agreement with Pioneer

:) Flavio

Anyhow the plugins will have a cost when they will be released

Sorry, this plug-in cost is going to be in *addition* to the current cost for purchasing Dirac Live, or you are going to sell the plugin as a separate product with it's own price? If it's the former, I think you are going to have a lot of peed off customers ...