IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

Are you sure it's the MacBook? What processor is in it? Does the Lampi do up to 24/768? I think that's what you need in order to do DSD256 via DoP directly from any OS X computer. If the Linux guys get native DSD working with the Lampi, then I think you might be able to do DSD256 via the microRendu.

--David

I am sure it is processor capacity of the MBP. HQPlayer and its filter and upsample softwares demands so much from the computer.

I dont even know if with the Micro Rendu there would be a clear difference upsampling. We have to test. for the Lampi, DSD is the best quality.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Ordered today the Sonic Transporter.

If anyone is using it with micro rendu, Roon and HQPlayer and upsampling to dsd please post here where HQPlayer is running.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Ordered today the Sonic Transporter.

If anyone is using it with micro rendu, Roon and HQPlayer and upsampling to dsd please post here where HQPlayer is running.

I have the SonicTransporter and will be using it with microRendu, Roon and HQPlayer and upsampling to DSD. I don't have mine set up yet because I'm waiting for some fiber network components to arrive.

I will be running HQPlayer on a headless Mac Mini connected to the network.

Once it's up and running (next week sometime), I will post here with an update.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

I have the SonicTransporter and will be using it with microRendu, Roon and HQPlayer and upsampling to DSD. I don't have mine set up yet because I'm waiting for some fiber network components to arrive.

I will be running HQPlayer on a headless Mac Mini connected to the network.

Once it's up and running (next week sometime), I will post here with an update.

Thank you very much, I will be waiting for your post.

When I try to upsample to dsd256 I have dropouts. My MacBook Pro can't handle Roon and HQPlayer unless I use DSD 128.

I have a couple of questions,

1.- Can an user easily install an internal storage drive (HDD or SSD) in the sonicTransporter without voiding the warranty?

2.- Is there an on-line manual/set-up guide for the sonicTransporter available anywhere? Or, is there an set-up guide for the sonicTransporter used in tandem with the uRendu?

TIA,

JoseL

I have my entire network setup with SonicTransporter and microRendu, and I'm having an issue.

For some odd reason my SonicTransporter keeps dropping network connectivity. Andrew suggested connecting a monitor to the SonicTransporter, which I did, and I am seeing the following error:

CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation

CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -115

This repeats for about 5-10 minutes, then it loses connection to the network. The only solution is to hard reboot SonicTransporter.

By the way, microRendu has been connected and never dropped, but the SonicTransporter has done this 3-4 times so far.

Anyone have any ideas what the error messages are and if that could be causing it to lose the network connection?

Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Are you trying to mount a network volume which has your music files?

I just have a USB drive plugged into the sonicTransporter. Maybe I changed something in SonicTransporter settings incorrectly.

Under the SMB tab, I did add an SMB Share name. I just rebooted it and I'm trying to delete that, but it won't stick.

Maybe that's the problem?

I have my entire network setup with SonicTransporter and microRendu, and I'm having an issue.

For some odd reason my SonicTransporter keeps dropping network connectivity. Andrew suggested connecting a monitor to the SonicTransporter, which I did, and I am seeing the following error:

CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation

CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -115

This repeats for about 5-10 minutes, then it loses connection to the network. The only solution is to hard reboot SonicTransporter.

By the way, microRendu has been connected and never dropped, but the SonicTransporter has done this 3-4 times so far.

Anyone have any ideas what the error messages are and if that could be causing it to lose the network connection?

Gary

I see that you are posing this while I am helping you resolve the problem. Don't worry I will help you figure out what the problem is.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

Well I am not an expert on the SonicTransporter, so take anything from me with a grain of salt. However the error message seemed to indicate it was trying to mount/access a network device. Is the SMB tab meant to allow you to mount a network drive? It does seem to be potentially the issue. ( Again flying blind here ).

Ah, I see you are in good hands here with Andrew.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I see that you are posing this while I am helping you resolve the problem. Don't worry I will help you figure out what the problem is.

Thanks Andrew!

Yes I mentioned via email to you. If you try to mount a NAS but don't have a NAS it will keep trying to mount it and this can cause problems.

How can I reset that (or delete) the SMB share name under the SMB tab?

Thanks Andrew!

I connected to your machine using teamviewer and also found you had Roon connecting to a non-existing SMB share. This was causing a network error as Roon tried to mount the SMB share ever few seconds.

For other users reading this when using a network share with the sonicTransporter and Roon you can mount the share two ways. In the Roon storage menu or in the sonicTransporter web UI. Although it will work both ways mounting it in Roon is better because Roon will force a reindex ever few hours.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

I have a couple of questions,

1.- Can an user easily install an internal storage drive (HDD or SSD) in the sonicTransporter without voiding the warranty?

2.- Is there an on-line manual/set-up guide for the sonicTransporter available anywhere? Or, is there an set-up guide for the sonicTransporter used in tandem with the uRendu?

TIA,

Any taker?

Mr. Gillis?

Somebody else who already owns a sonicTransporter?

Please,

TIA

JoseL

For other users reading this when using a network share with the sonicTransporter and Roon you can mount the share two ways. In the Roon storage menu or in the sonicTransporter web UI. Although it will work both ways mounting it in Roon is better because Roon will force a reindex ever few hours.

I apparently have my network share mounted on both SonicOrbiter and in Roon>Storage. I this a problem? If so, should I delete it from the SonicOrbiter? All appears to be working fine at the moment.

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

I apparently have my network share mounted on both SonicOrbiter and in Roon>Storage. I this a problem? If so, should I delete it from the SonicOrbiter? All appears to be working fine at the moment.

This question arose in another thread too. While Andrew will certainly weigh in, you only need it configured in Roon (storage).

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Sonicorbiter SE with a iFI power supply. Sounds much better than the laptop it replaced, though the laptop had Fidelizer and JPlay on it. So, I can only imagine how the microRendu will sound with a quality linear PSU or the UltraCap PSU that Uptone is cooking up. Initial set-up might be a little fiddly depending on the DAC and stuff but worth the trouble.

I'm definitely in the market for the SonicTransporterSE but can't find a shred of documentation on what the set-up might be like, or how I might migrate my Roon Core from a Windows laptop to the Linux-based STSE. I know there is a great team willing to put in a lot of customer service time helping people get started properly. Jesus was outstanding when I was having problems. I'm told Andrew is likewise. Still...

I'm definitely in the market for the SonicTransporterSE but can't find a shred of documentation on what the set-up might be like, or how I might migrate my Roon Core from a Windows laptop to the Linux-based STSE. I know there is a great team willing to put in a lot of customer service time helping people get started properly. Jesus was outstanding when I was having problems. I'm told Andrew is likewise. Still...

Check out this thread on the Roon forums:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roonify-your-usb-drive-or-nas-with-the-sonictransporter/9510?u=orgel

This post from Andrew might be helpful:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roonify-your-usb-drive-or-nas-with-the-sonictransporter/9510/36

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Do you know if Roon has included this transfer feature in any of the 1.2 builds yet ?

I'm pretty sure not, but the Roon guys have stated that better, easier backup and transfer of the Roon database is on the map for v1.3. (I'm too lazy to find you a link, but a search of the Roon forums should be fruitful.)

With the sonicTransporter in particular, I'm pretty sure that in the interim, Andrew/Small Green Computer will do what it takes to get sT purchasers up and running. Probably a good idea to contact Andrew (@agillis) directly about this if you have concerns.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Will the sonicTransporter integrate with the following equipment in order to utilize Roon?

QNAP NAS with music storage connected via LAN switch

Sonore Signature Series Rendu connected via LAN switch

PS Audio DirectStream connected via I2S to Rendu

Would I just order the basic sonicTransporter and connect via the LAN switch?

Would this eliminate the need to run MinimServer and BubbleUPnP?

Or does the Roon control APP still need these?

This looks like the way for me to proceed in order to utilize Roon and use it as a control point, but I am not certain.

I know that none of my current equipment is Roon ready.

Is this the simplest way to go?

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s