IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

While this is a great device ... If you are running a NAS such as QNAP or Synology it might be worth waiting see if there is a installation of the Roon Server for your particular NAS coming along.

(Sorry hope I'm not sounding too much that I'm raining on Small Green's parade, just this might be a good solution for some people but not automatically a good solution for everyone - it may be worth waiting a while especially if you use one of the major NAS brands. For anyone with a library less than 6TB a USB drive connected direct would be brilliant IMO)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I can't see any reason to put it in another room, unless you feel it is seriously polluting your power supply. And there are solutions for that, too.

Firedog: equally if you are using a Roon endpoint such as Sonore's devices, you could argue there is no reason to put it anywhere near your listening room ... Especially for those people who would need to run a second long network cable.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

While this is a great device ... If you are running a NAS such as QNAP or Synology it might be worth waiting see if there is a installation of the Roon Server for your particular NAS coming along.

(Sorry hope I'm not sounding too much that I'm raining on Small Green's parade, just this might be a good solution for some people but not automatically a good solution for everyone - it may be worth waiting a while especially if you use one of the major NAS brands. For anyone with a library less than 6TB a USB drive connected direct would be brilliant IMO)

That's true, but if you look at the Roon forum, there is some discussion of which NAS might run Roon with no problem. Essentially, they recommend only the most powerful ones. So if you don't have one of those, this is a logical add on at that price.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It's a fast processor, 4GB RAM and, an SSD for the Roon Database. It's completely noiseless unlike the "buzzy" little fan in most NUC and other small systems.

This combination makes the Roon user interface very responsive. Also since it's running a version of Sonicorbiter software it's very easy to configure with a web browser or tablet. No monitor or keyboard etc.

Is it easy to install Roon Core on it?

Is it easy to install Roon Core on it?

Not 100% sure, but it's probably pre-installed, along with Squeezebox Server and MinimServer.

Roon updates should be very easy, since you can update the Roon software on all devices on your LAN from just about any control point. I did the last one from the Roon app on my iPad.

Assuming the sonicTransporter's Web interface is similar to the Sonicorbiter's, updates of the OS are also very simple.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I've been following and reading this thread closely since February and based on all of the recommendations, I will be switching to Roon + HQPlayer. I signed up for Roon and I will have HQPlayer shortly. At this point, I'm assembling all the component pieces in anticipation of the release of microRendu.

I currently have a headless Mac Mini, a 3TB USB drive that stores my music. My intention is to use Roon + HQPlayer in NAA mode using the microRendu and connect my USB drive to my network using a SonicTransporter.

This kind of setup is all new to me, so I had to draw a diagram so that I could get a better visual handle on how everything will fit together.

Below is the diagram I created (click it make it bigger).

microRendu-diagram.jpg

In short: I will run the RoonServer on the SonicTransporter, HQPlayer on my Mac Mini in NAA mode (microRendu), and the Roon control client will be on my iPad.

Does all of this look right? Am I overlooking something here?

I realize this setup includes products from Sonore, Signalyst, Small Green Computer and Roon, but I wanted to post it here in this thread because microRendu is the critical piece for my intended setup. And also... Jesus asked if I could post it here in CA :)

I appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

What is the CPU in this device?

Does it ship with a power supply included? Can it be powered by an Uptone Audio JS-2?

And is it available for shipment today?

Apologies for all the questions.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I've been following and reading this thread closely since February and based on all of the recommendations, I will be switching to Roon + HQPlayer. I signed up for Roon and I will have HQPlayer shortly. At this point, I'm assembling all the component pieces in anticipation of the release of microRendu.

I currently have a headless Mac Mini, a 3TB USB drive that stores my music. My intention is to use Roon + HQPlayer in NAA mode using the microRendu and connect my USB drive to my network using a SonicTransporter.

This kind of setup is all new to me, so I had to draw a diagram so that I could get a better visual handle on how everything will fit together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25593[/ATTACH]

In short: I will run the RoonServer on the SonicTransporter, HQPlayer on my Mac Mini in NAA mode (microRendu), and the Roon control client will be on my iPad.

I realize this setup includes products from Sonore, Signalyst, Small Green Computer and Roon, but I wanted to post it here in this thread because microRendu is the critical piece for my intended setup. And also... Jesus asked if I could post it here in CA :)

Thanks!

Looks like you are on the right path if you prefer to split everything up with different devices.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25593[/ATTACH]

Thanks!

From your diagram: you are intending to run desktop HQP on your Mini and use the microRendu as the HQP NAA device, correct?

Looks like you have a great setup. You will be one of the first using all these devices together like this. Let us know how you like it!

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Cannot the sonicTransporter also run HQP?

That would be cool and I posted that question in the roon forum.

I would assume more likely that the mac could host both roon and hq player.

But the mac seems not to be the preferred choice for a hq player "core".

BTW, could it be for lack of power or other factors?

Cannot the sonicTransporter also run HQP?

That's a good question. If that were possible, I could remove the Mac Mini from the chain. Although, from my experience with HQPlayer, it takes a good amount of processing power to run it, which is why I got the Intel Core i7 quad core.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

From your diagram: you are intending to run desktop HQP on your Mini and use the microRendu as the HQP NAA device, correct?

Yes that's correct.

Yes, I'll certainly report on it once it's all put together. :)

That would be cool and I posted that question in the roon forum.

I would assume more likely that the mac could host both roon and hq player.

But the mac seems not to be the preferred choice for a hq player "core".

BTW, could it be for lack of power or other factors?

Yes the Mac could run both Roon and HQPlayer, but since I will have SonicTransporter in the chain, it's already pre-loaded with RoonServer which will leave the Mac free to run HQPlayer exclusively. Again, HQP is quite resource-hungry, so my thinking is this distributed resource approach might work best.

Just wanted to note that I'm currently running a similar arrangement (hardware is different, but topology is the same), and it works fine.

I think your setup will be great, but please give us your impressions once you have all the pieces in place.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Again, HQP is quite resource-hungry, so my thinking is this distributed resource approach might work best.

I think you're right about this. I was previously running both Roon Core and HQP on my Mac mini and, although everything worked, the mini was pretty well maxed out in practical terms, so that any additional activity (e.g., copying files) would induce some stuttering. I find that both Roon Core and HQP are happier running either on separate boxes or likely with a really powerful/fast server running both.

--David

Just wanted to note that I'm currently running a similar arrangement (hardware is different, but topology is the same), and it works fine.

I think your setup will be great, but please give us your impressions once you have all the pieces in place.

--David

Hi David, any SQ benefits you have observed so far by separating them? I toying with the idea too though my server could currently perform all functions with no issues. Just thinking that having RoonServer running 24/7 could benefit multi room setup.

--David

David, I see in you are running two Macs, one for Roon Core and the other for HQP. That's interesting. I will have to read up on that as a possible alternative configuration.

And, yes I will certainly share my impressions here.

Hi David, any SQ benefits you have observed so far by separating them? I toying with the idea too though my server could currently perform all functions with no issues. Just thinking that having RoonServer running 24/7 could benefit multi room setup.

Honestly, I think I hear some benefits, but they're pretty subtle — I think adding in the Sonicorbiter as an NAA made a bigger difference, and even that wasn't really in the "night and day" realm. The bigger practical improvement for me is that I can actually do some additional "work" on both computers while listening to music. Over the weekend I was doing a bunch of tagging and transcoding with XLD running on the iMac but operating on files on the external HD connected to the mini: There were no issues whatsoever with playback, and all the XLD stuff was pretty snappy.

(Note that with my current DAC, I'm limited in terms of the amount of upsampling I can do, so if I were upsampling everything to DSD256 or 512, which I'd like to be able to try whenever I get a new DAC, I might not be able to get away with the same additional tasks and network traffic. Also, my new iMac is pretty well maxed out — 4GHz i7 and 24GB RAM.)

--David

Could your music library possibly be hosted on a NAS instead of an USB disc?

Then you have the option of getting rid of the sonicTransporter, because your NAS may also host Roon server. This is currently my setup.

Yes absolutely! My original plan was to get a NAS (Synology) until I found out about the sonicTransporter. Because all of my music is stored on a USB drive, the sonicTransporter at $379 is a no-brainer for me.

Will the SonicTransporter work independently without the SonicOrbiter SE or microRendu as an endpoint if directly attached to the USB DAC? (Similar to JRiver's NUC Id via DLNA). Or are both pieces of hardware required (Transporter and Orbiter) for use with Roon?