IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

14 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Jesus, maybe not the right tread, but here is my question. 

HQPlayer embedded seems to be on its way to get a user interface by a web interface. So finally it will be headless. 

Would it it be possible to build a computer only for HQPlayer embedded? 

Maybe one light version for PCM, and then maybe use the i7 you already offer for DSD ? 

Possible to have it powered by the LPS-1? (The PCM version)

Another alternative may be to include the HQPlayer embedded in the SonicOrbiter. I'm sure it's doable and quite easy to, but are you willing to make such a version ?

I think your confused about how our system works. If you install only the application you want that is all it runs with the exception of the necessary support services. We could add HQPlayer embedded to SonicOrbiter running on sonicTransporter devices when it comes out. Which version of sonicTransporter could run it would need to be explored based on the HQPlayer embedded's requirements. We would have to explore the power supply feasibility separately.   

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I think your confused about how our system works.

Not at all, even though you deleted my previous question about your company. ( I will remind you as often as I can until you open that tread again and put my question back in open :-) )

Your system is a company making of the shelf HW paired with your own SonicOrbiter SW. Pretty straight forward. (Well you do hire JS, to make some, or one is probably more correct, item).

So I'm not confused at all. And you already know I think someone else is confusing customers on a certain website :-)

We could add HQPlayer embedded to SonicOrbiter running on sonicTransporter devices when it comes out.

The HQPlayer embedded is already out. And so is part of the web UI:

Anyway, If you are saying that you are considering adding HQPlayer embedded into your product line (with HW and SW) I think that is fantastic news.  

Which version of sonicTransporter could run it would need to be explored based on the HQPlayer embedded's requirements.

Not for you to decide :-)

Of cause I'm wrong in one way, but what I mean is that it should be up to the costumer how he use his existing HW. What I'm trying to say is that if you own a i5 like me, and like me like to only do PCM 24/192, you should be allowed. Cause I think it's quite clear that the i5 will manage. (All versions you made).

If I like to do DSD, I should be allowed to try, but maybe warned it may in worst case destroy my i5. Though I think there are some built in automatic shutdown in the HW in any case.

We would have to explore the power supply feasibility separately.   

Of cause. This was a suggestion to make a new version of the SonicTransporter that can run LPS-1 one or two.

I think you already has a good idea if it's doable or not.

Anyway Jesus if you can make something one way or another with HQPlayer embedded, it will be fantastic. If you can cooperate with @Miska about this, it should be a win win.

I have no knowledge of Linux so I don't know how hard this will be to maintain. HQPlayer updates almost every week, so I suppose making an easy way just to update the HQPlayer is a challenge. Or maybe not ?

And two different system using  one web interface (ip address) maybe also a challenge or ?

To be clear on some projects we use off the shelf hardware, on some we have our own hardware, and on others we have a mixture of the two. Anyway, we have had conversations with Jussi in the past about HQ Player Embedded. We need to be able to configured and control playback of HQ Player from a web based GUI. I don't think that is available right and you said it might be coming. If a web based GUI for configuration and control is coming we would look at it again.   

46 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

How do you control playback? 

I hope I understand your question correctly.

Well, isn't the whole point here to use Roon, and then best part of HQPlayer, which is the filters and up sampling. ?

Forget about HQPlayer as a player. (I understand Miska is not that happy with that way of thinking ? )

Well I guess what is really going on is that HQPlayer is the player, you tell me, but for me as an average user, what count is to use HQPlayers filters and upsampling, and be able to do this headless.

And would it really change anything if the HQPlayers filters and up sampling was built into Roon ? Isn't best to keep those most heavy DSD processes on a separate computer ? I don't know.

So we like to have an app or an web interface that more or less does the same as the settings menu in HQPlayer. Agee ?

Anyway I can't add much to this discussion. I suggest you join in somewhere here:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30983-hqplayer-linux-desktop-and-hqplayer-embedded/

But as said, I'm looking forward to your further SonicOrbiter development ?

Then you will have something beyond what ROCK can offer. And hopefully better and more versatile 

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I hope I understand your question correctly.

Well, isn't the whole point here to use Roon, and then best part of HQPlayer, which is the filters and up sampling. ?

Forget about HQPlayer as a player. (I understand Miska is not that happy with that way of thinking ? )

Well I guess what is really going on is that HQPlayer is the player, you tell me, but for me as an average user, what count is to use HQPlayers filters and upsampling, and be able to do this headless.

And would it really change anything if the HQPlayers filters and up sampling was built into Roon ? Isn't best to keep those most heavy DSD processes on a separate computer ? I don't know.

So we like to have an app or an web interface that more or less does the same as the settings menu in HQPlayer. Agee ?

Anyway I can't add much to this discussion. I suggest you join in somewhere here:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30983-hqplayer-linux-desktop-and-hqplayer-embedded/

But as said, I'm looking forward to your further SonicOrbiter development ?

Then you will have something beyond what ROCK can offer. And hopefully better and more versatile 

You never mentioned Roon. Anyway, I can see this being useful.  

In regards to your ROCK comment it's my opinion that we already have a lot more to offer than it. Not that it matter though because their focus is different than our. SonicOrbiter on the sonicTransporter is mean to serve files to any renderer/endpoint. It works as a system with SonicOrbiter on the microRendu and the SonicOrbiter SE. Many of our customers don't use Roon or HQ Player so SonicOrbiter on the sonicTransporter has something for everyone...Roon, LMS, MinimServer, BubbleUpnP, SonoreUPnP, ect. Maybe even HQ Player Embedded in the future.       

• 2 months later...
On 26.3.2017 at 5:32 PM, vortecjr said:

What he wants is to use HQ Player Embedded for it's up sampling engine with Roon as the front end. 

Jesus, is there any update your side in this matter ?

The webinterface looks wery nice now.

config.png.44b52d67ac382b1ec68dbd84637b364e.png

• 1 month later...

For the frst time I'm going to use my SonicTransporter direct to my Singxer F1 via ISO REGEN. Since my MicroRendu is on upgrade to HW 1.4.

How can this be set up ?

How can HQPlayer see my SonicTransporter ?

I would expect to find a NAA or RAAT option as in my SonicTransporter, but no.

Only activation for local playback.

ScreenShot196.jpg

39 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

How can HQPlayer see my SonicTransporter ?

Isn't it the other way around. Your sonicT (Roon Core) needs to see your HQP NAA endpoint? In Roon Remote?

Unless you have the Windows version sonicTransporter which runs HQP.

Can anyone confirm that they are able to see in Roon an Explorer2 or a Singxer F1 if connect USB direct to SonicTransporter ?

I tried the hiFace EVO, it worked for some minutes. Then it disappeared, and whatever I do, I can't get it back. Have not yet tested if it will work with my PC, or if it's broken too. 

Also so very strange, during this attempt, my Explorer2 died.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a serious HW failure with my SonicTransporter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.7.2017 at 10:45 PM, R1200CL said:

Also so very strange, during this attempt, my Explorer2 died.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a serious HW failure with my SonicTransporter.

OK. So the Explorer2 died. Seems to be a known issue, so I got a new one from the Meridian importer for just above $100. 

And there is noothing wrong with the SonicTransporter ?

And finally it can see both USB interfaces connected. Maybe cause I power it down from the web interface first. 

Now time to test ISO REGEN direct with both items, before my MicroRendu 1.4 arrives. 

IMG_0632.PNG

• 3 months later...

@vortecjr @agillis

I noticed there is a new SonicTransporter i5  available. 

Is is it just a new case, or is there any other HW upgrades ?

If yes, can you give some details please ?

Maybe some more pictures, like rear side ?

If it dual RJ45, can these be bridged ?

Is the extra HD only a possible to add with the SonicTransporter at your site ?

How many USB HD is supported ?

How much RAM ?

Can bigger disks than the 4TB  be added upon request ?

It would be nice to know this before the a possible Black Friday offer. 

On 02/11/2017 at 10:22 AM, vortecjr said:

All good questions for Andrew:) I'll ping him so he can reply. 

Hi JR and Andrew @agillis

Roon's ROCK running on an Intel NUC can support multiple external USB drives at the same time, for the music library.

Is it planned for the sonicTransporter to offer the same? At the moment we can only use 1 single USB drive at a time even though there are 4 USB ports :-(

What's the reason this a difficult thing to support?

I currently have a SonicTransporter I5 and I’m considering moving up to the SonicTransporter I7. The I5 is great but I have one issue.   The I5 has six USB ports but only one can be used for a USB hard drive.  I use several USB portable hard drives so one is not enough.  How many portable USB hard drives can be attached and used by the I7?

8 hours ago, Gelajoy said:

I currently have a SonicTransporter I5 and I’m considering moving up to the SonicTransporter I7. The I5 is great but I have one issue.   The I5 has six USB ports but only one can be used for a USB hard drive.  I use several USB portable hard drives so one is not enough.  How many portable USB hard drives can be attached and used by the I7?

Only one USB drive at a time, for all the sonicTransporters running sonicOrbiter. See my post right above yours.

Hopefully Andrew or JR can answer and hopefully a software upgrade is coming to enable more external USB drives @vortecjr

Roon’s ROCK on the Intel NUC allows multiple USB drives so I really hope the sonicTransporter can allow this soon.

We only support one USB attached hard drive. We do this for simplicity. Supporting many drives can cause all sorts of problems. If they are different formats etc. You can purchase a very large 10TB USB drive inexpensively.

You could also use a NAS. A NAS is a custom built storage solution and it designed to have a large number of drives attached and removed. 

If you are using a sonicTransporter you don't need a NAS with a lot of processing power so this is also a fairly inexpensive solution.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/