IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

U uninstall Roon on ST. (That's where your Roon is)

Apps, SW manager, installed apps, click on Roon

Also you may pull the power on "everything" AFTER update COMPLETED [emoji3]

Edit:

I just learned something myself now. My core was 204, so I had to do a SW upgrade myself. And it worked even with music playing.

It seems the controller SW is not able to notify about new Roon core on Linux or maybe only the SB. (I use iPad)

If someone else is reading this, they may confirm this small issue.

Ok I see how in microRendu if that's what you meant.

Now i meant in SonicTransporter, but the UI is equal, and as long as you do the SW upgrade both places, it's a good start.

And you of cause want do anything wrong delete applications in MicroRendu either.

Roon still not finding microRendu after installing build 208.

I assume you know the IP of both devices, and can access them.

That will more or less rule out any network issues. And cables.

Also Roon has lately become a bit sensitive if you remove your local files. But I guess that is not an issue you have.

I assume you know the IP of both devices, and can access them.

That will more or less rule out any network issues. And cables.

Also Roon has lately become a bit sensitive if you remove your local files. But I guess that is not an issue you have.

Don't think any network issues now today, can ping both.

rogerdn

I prefer you access both by using the IP address in a browser [emoji3]

Yes I can do that.....but I just reopened Roon and everything seems normal again !!!

Have no idea what's going on, both ST and Roon were disabled up until a few hours ago. But will it be stable ? has me concerned. But Thks for your suggestions.

rogerdn

And you of cause want do anything wrong delete applications in MicroRendu either.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean.

I expect you have noticed that the UI (user interface) is quail on both devices. Right ?

Are you able to use the web interface by typing the IP address of both devices?

If yes, are you able to follow my previous instructions how to delete applications ?

I would expect since you where able to install DNLA option.

Are you also able to press upgrade bottom?

Is there still anything unclear. Do you need me to post pictures?

(Or have you found the user manuals)

Yes I can do that.....but I just reopened Roon and everything seems normal again !!!

Have no idea what's going on, both ST and Roon were disabled up until a few hours ago. But will it be stable ? has me concerned. But Thks for your suggestions.

So is everything OK now ?

And yes, very stable now. Remember to update your controller. Seems u are using a Mac.

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a SonicTransporter I5. Only question I have is related to whether I choose to get it with an internal SSD or if I connect my existing NAS to it. Would the SQ be better if I use my music library sitting on the internal SSD of the SonicTransporter or it doesn't make a difference if it sits on my NAS?

Thank you guys :)

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a SonicTransporter I5. Only question I have is related to whether I choose to get it with an internal SSD or if I connect my existing NAS to it. Would the SQ be better if I use my music library sitting on the internal SSD of the SonicTransporter or it doesn't make a difference if it sits on my NAS?

It's good to ask this upfront. As the SonicTransporter can't be upgraded and you can also only use one of the USB interfaces to a SSD, meaning you will have to purchase a huge SSD in any case, or at least as huge as it can contain your whole library.

The new, and in my opinion overpriced i7 version, has two SSD's, as I can read from the specifications. If that mean you can field upgrade, I do not know.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonictransporter-i7-for-roon-1-3-dsp

But since both use SonicOrbiter OS, I'm wondering why you can't use one of the two free mSATA slots that is available in the i5 to the OS.

(I think it's mSATA).

Or maybe there will be an upgraded version of the i5, with similar specs as the i7 version. That means a m2 SSD interface + a normal SATA SSD interface + dual RJ45, so you most likely can connect your endpoint to the SonicTransporter and not to a switch.

I assume you also aware of the upcoming ROCK OS from Roon, that so far it seems, may not has as good HW as the SonicTransporter. Good in the meaning striped down, and no fans, no wifi, etc. NUC may be more powerful, but do you need ?

Others may state a NUC is equal or better. That discussion is over my knowledge as it would require better knowledge of what HW is inside the SonicTransporter. Also have a look at start of this tread.

I think a guy called Amir has wrote a lot about this, but I'm not sure if he is to be trusted in everything he writes.

I use a server myself for the local files, and I'm wondering getting a huge SSD and attached it to the USB port.

But things sounds very good as they are, and I doubt the investment of a 2TB SSD will justify a possible raise in SQ, nor I'm I sure it will do at all. There may be other areas better spending the money. I haven't gotten so far to test this with a small SSD. (Or I suppose I could use a memory stick?)

Also a small SSD in the i5 should make it easier the sell or change as your needs is changing.

Are you planning to use HQPlayer or Roon upsamling, and if the latter is the i5 powerful enough for your need. PCM is no problem with i5. Since my DAC doesn't do DSD, I can't say what the DSD limitations for the i5 is.

If you live in the US, you most likely can make an agreement upfront with SMG, to modify your i5 with a bigger SSD at a later stage.

Like if you like to test with the USB interface first, to verify if a local SSD make any difference vs a NAS.

My guess is there is hardly any difference between SSD by the USB port vs SSD by the SATA connector. It may even be better as there is no OS on it, but I suppose there is no logic behind that.

So I can't answer your question directly, and maybe you're the only one that can, as this most likely will depend of the rest of your system.

I will be very interested to hear what advice Andrew or Jesus will give you. (If any).

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sgc-roonify-your-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-drive-or-network-attached-storage-sonictransporter-28288/index3.html#post536319

I think personally you will be very happy with the i5 without internal storage, as also this test indicate:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/intel-nuc-sonictransporter-tale-two-mini-computers-running-roon-core#YsugrM04sfpFxBJ6.97

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sonictransporter-i5-vs-an-nuc-for-running-roon-server/12540

I don't think it makes much of a difference. The biggest advantages of the internal SSD is simplicity and noise (it doesn't make any)

If you already have a NAS just go with the sonicTransporter with no internal drive.

R1200CL is correct you can not add an internal drive later but you can send it back here for an upgrade.

You can always add an external USB attached SSD yourself.

If you want to do extreme up-sampling or use a lot of the new Roon DSP features I recommend the i7 unit.

It also has two (bridged) Ethernet ports so you can attach the microRendu directly to the sonicTransporter via an Ethernet cable (no switch).

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/custom-units/products/sonictransporter-i7-for-roon-1-3-dsp

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

thanks agillis, you said: "It also has to (bridged) Ethernet ports so you can attach the microRendu directly to the sonicTransporter via an Ethernet cable." --> is the ethernet connection a better way to connect both mR and ST?

You may like to take your time and study this thread

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/novel-way-massively-improve-sq-sms-200-and-microrendu-31110/

Also you should do some emails with Andrew, as the specs may have changed on the i5. Meaning you may or may not benefit to wait.

Like is he changing to the latest intel chipsets and processors.

Will his hardware be more or less similar to a NUC, as you may for reasons nobody yet know, would like to install ROCK on the i5.

I personally don't think a combined W10 PC with Roon and HQPlayer is what will serve you best. (Ref. your PM to me).

But remember Andrew is building a lot of custom built.

I do not know if Linux require less powerful HW than windows in order to process DSD 512 from HQPlayer.

But a separate custom built PC based on either Linux embedded if that in near future will be headless, or just the present Linux HQPlayer may be the ultimate solution.

I have no idea if such a built can be done fanless, or even if there is any logical reason to do so.

Also you could place HQPlayer an another room.

Or if you like to utilize bridging, maybe that can be done on a HQPlayer machine.

Andrew should be able to advice you, as well as you can ask in the tread I linked above.

Good luck.

Jesus

I have discovered that my SBT is not able to connect to the SonicTransporter i5, but has no problem connecting to my Qnap.

Running Roon.

When in SBT, and switch library, SonicTransporter shows up as an option, but SBT isn't willing to connect.

Do you think this could be an SonicOrbiter issue ?

Like me to post elsewhere?

If anyone else reading this, and is using SonicTransporter and have a SBT (or any Squeezebox unit) in their network, and they enable Squeezebox support in Roon, switch library in SBT and check if they getting same results as me ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Jesus or Andrew

Roon Extensions on SonicTransporter in general like this one:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-extension-alarm-clock-now-on-github/21556

https://github.com/TheAppgineer/roon-extension-alarm-clock

Can I install such addons myself in the SonicTransporter, or do you guys need to add support for it ?

If install myself, can you make a new tread and add some simple setup and install instructions for the SonicTransporter.

Jesus

I have discovered that my SBT is not able to connect to the SonicTransporter i5, but has no problem connecting to my Qnap.

Running Roon.

When in SBT, and switch library, SonicTransporter shows up as an option, but SBT isn't willing to connect.

Do you think this could be an SonicOrbiter issue ?

Like me to post elsewhere?

If anyone else reading this, and is using SonicTransporter and have a SBT (or any Squeezebox unit) in their network, and they enable Squeezebox support in Roon, switch library in SBT and check if they getting same results as me ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Sounds like two different issue. I would think that you would use the SBT as an endpoint running LMS on the unit. Also, I see not reason why Roon would not see it and allow you to play to it. Everything would have to be on the same network.

Jesus or Andrew

Roon Extensions on SonicTransporter in general like this one:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-extension-alarm-clock-now-on-github/21556

https://github.com/TheAppgineer/roon-extension-alarm-clock

Can I install such addons myself in the SonicTransporter, or do you guys need to add support for it ?

If install myself, can you make a new tread and add some simple setup and install instructions for the SonicTransporter.

You can't install it. The SonicTransporter does not run Node.js so that would have to be built and add to the system. There is no way for the end user to load the plug-in from within Roon. The first problem is not a big deal, but the second is so we need to discuss internally and with Roon and see the best way to support plug-ins. Also, there is no vetted of the plug-ins and they could pose a security risk.

Sounds like two different issue. I would think that you would use the SBT as an endpoint running LMS on the unit. Also, I see not reason why Roon would not see it and allow you to play to it. Everything would have to be on the same network.

I stopped the other Roon server, and did a couple of restarts. Now both my Squeezebox Radio and SBT shows up but using Roon on SonicTransporter i5.

Case closed.

I stopped the other Roon server, and did a couple of restarts. Now both my Squeezebox Radio and SBT shows up but using Roon on SonicTransporter i5.

Case closed.

This rings a bell. Only one controller can lock on to the unit at a time. Restarting things releases the unit and allows another controller to lock on. It's something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, maybe not the right tread, but here is my question. 

HQPlayer embedded seems to be on its way to get a user interface by a web interface. So finally it will be headless. 

Would it it be possible to build a computer only for HQPlayer embedded? 

Maybe one light version for PCM, and then maybe use the i7 you already offer for DSD ? 

Possible to have it powered by the LPS-1? (The PCM version)

Another alternative may be to include the HQPlayer embedded in the SonicOrbiter. I'm sure it's doable and quite easy to, but are you willing to make such a version ?