IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

Roon is great but you need a Windows or MAC computer to run RoonServer that must be on all the time.

Not any more!

The sonicTransporter is a small, noiseless, Linux based system that runs Roon Server. You attach a USB drive to it and your collection becomes available to Roon.

You can also use it mount a NAS and share the music on it with Roon.

The sonicTransporter has a fast processor, 4GB of memory, and an SSD for the Roon database. This makes Roon run very fast even for a large music collection.

The sonicTransporter is the idea companion to the Sonicorbiter SE or microRendu Roon players.

sonicTransporter – Small Green Computer

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

I'd sure like to know the hardware spec of this SonicTransporter but I'm not sure if Andrew wants to divulge that info... This unit looks very appealing to me but I'd like to know how it compares to the other NAS / PC's I've been looking at. Definitely agree its strength is the software integration and that it comes from SGC.

It's a fast processor, 4GB RAM and, an SSD for the Roon Database. It's completely noiseless unlike the "buzzy" little fan in most NUC and other small systems.

This combination makes the Roon user interface very responsive. Also since it's running a version of Sonicorbiter software it's very easy to configure with a web browser or tablet. No monitor or keyboard etc.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

Is the Sonic Transporter basically a mini server, similar the JRiver Id but Roon Ready? You would still need a Sonic Orbiter SE or microRendu to the DAC?

Yes, it's a network server. So you need some kind of player.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Does it integrate Tidal like the Mac , Windows Roon software ?

The short answer to your question is yes.

Roon Server is exactly the same as other versions of Roon software in functionality. It doesn't have the GUI built in. It's designed for servers without displays or that don't have the video chops (open gl) needed to run the GUI.

You interface with it over another computer (with display), a tablet, or phone. Under that setup it is exactly the equivalent of other versions of Roon.

So this device runs full Roon, but for UI you need another device. Unlike, say, if you run Roon on a laptop.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

The short answer to your question is yes.

Roon Server is exactly the same as other versions of Roon software in functionality. It doesn't have the GUI built in. It's designed for servers without displays or that don't have the video chops (open gl) needed to run the GUI.

You interface with it over another computer (with display), a tablet, or phone. Under that setup it is exactly the equivalent of other versions of Roon.

So this device runs full Roon, but for UI you need another device. Unlike, say, if you run Roon on a laptop.

Thanks Firedog . I'm gonna buy one

Thanks Firedog . I'm gonna buy one

Cool. Let us know what you think. I think this is a great solution for people who don't need to do stuff like DSP and heavy upsampling.

I reckon the music library also can be mounted as smb in roon when sonicTransporter is connected to router as well as the NAS? What I don'get is how can this be done if the (one) Ethernet port is used for the uRendu. Will a switch work?

Since the unit is running RoonServer, library management works the exact same way as the regular Roon. There is a SSD inside the unit to store Roon's database.

I don't think it's workable to connect uRendu direct via the unit's Ethernet port. A switch will make better sense.

What are the power requirements for the SonicTransporter? 12v?

It's 12v and power consumption is only 8 watts according to the product page. So, if no USB gadgets is attached to the unit, 2A will be enough though it will be bundled with a 12v5a switching power supply.

It's 12v and power consumption is only 8 watts according to the product page. So, if no USB gadgets is attached to the unit, 2A will be enough though it will be bundled with a 12v5a switching power supply.

Thanks - I think the product page was updated again within the last 24hrs, that info wasn't there yesterday :-)

I reckon the music library also can be mounted as smb in roon when sonicTransporter is connected to router as well as the NAS? What I don'get is how can this be done if the (one) Ethernet port is used for the uRendu. Will a switch work?

You will need a router to glue together and secure the network. So the sonicTransporter would be connected to the Router, and the microRendu would also be connected to the router. Of course, if you have a larger network you can also add one or more switches to connect more stuff...

This device looks like an excellent product for many users. Small, attractive, silent, and enough horsepower to run RoonServer well. Software already integrated so no hassles there, and a nice remote UI to access the features. Simple to just hang off the network. Great support on the software side, which is worth a lot! Basically it combines the functionality of a NAS and a computer, all in one. So no need to get a NAS in addition to a computer if one doesn't already have one - just attach cheaper USB drives. But it works with a NAS too, which is good.

My system here

This is admittedly a bit of an OCD type question but I'm wondering where I would physically install the SonicTransporter. Does it still make sense to have it in a separate room and on a different electrical circuit from the listening room (like you would a NAS or PC)? I have to run a new ethernet cable anyways regardless of whether I use the SonicTransporter, PC, NAS, etc. so I don't know if there is still any benefit of getting the SonicTransporter far away from the 2 channel system. The shorter the ethernet cable run the easier it will be for me to install...

You will need a router to glue together and secure the network. So the sonicTransporter would be connected to the Router, and the microRendu would also be connected to the router. Of course, if you have a larger network you can also add one or more switches to connect more stuff...

Yes, after thinking again about it I figured out that this had to be the (only) way to connect it.

This topology occupies 2 LAN ports on the router, so I guess many have to go via a switch.

What bothers me is the lack of built-in wifi on the sonicTransporter, but I guess it will also work well with a 802.11ac Ethernet adapter.

This is admittedly a bit of an OCD type question but I'm wondering where I would physically install the SonicTransporter. Does it still make sense to have it in a separate room and on a different electrical circuit from the listening room (like you would a NAS or PC)? I have to run a new ethernet cable anyways regardless of whether I use the SonicTransporter, PC, NAS, etc. so I don't know if there is still any benefit of getting the SonicTransporter far away from the 2 channel system. The shorter the ethernet cable run the easier it will be for me to install...

I can't see any reason to put it in another room, unless you feel it is seriously polluting your power supply. And there are solutions for that, too.

This device looks like an excellent product for many users. Small, attractive, silent, and enough horsepower to run RoonServer well. Software already integrated so no hassles there, and a nice remote UI to access the features. Simple to just hang off the network. Great support on the software side, which is worth a lot! Basically it combines the functionality of a NAS and a computer, all in one. So no need to get a NAS in addition to a computer if one doesn't already have one - just attach cheaper USB drives. But it works with a NAS too, which is good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a NAS connected in your system, would you need the Sonic Transport server? Seems to me you would only need the Roon Endpoint (Sonic Orbiter SE or microRendu) connected.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a NAS connected in your system, would you need the Sonic Transport server? Seems to me you would only need the Roon Endpoint (Sonic Orbiter SE or microRendu) connected.

You would still need a place to run the main Roon software. Roon recommends a fast PC to avoid dropouts, glitches, UI problems, etc. The Roon Endpoint runs a small program that can run well on a resource limited computer. But behind the scenes, Roon needs a lot of horsepower. That's where a computer like the sonicTransporter comes in. Throw in the NAS like features and software integration and support and it is a compelling product.

My system here

You would still need a place to run the main Roon software. Roon recommends a fast PC to avoid dropouts, glitches, UI problems, etc. The Roon Endpoint runs a small program that can run well on a resource limited computer. But behind the scenes, Roon needs a lot of horsepower. That's where a computer like the sonicTransporter comes in. Throw in the NAS like features and software integration and support and it is a compelling product.

I'm new to Roon, and am running it on a new iMac with connected USB drive. I can send my flac files and Tidal tracks to my renderer (in another room using Ethernet over power and a switch) emulating squeeze lite. Works great - no hitches or dropouts. Not to say the Sonic Transport wouldn't be a good solution, but is it a necessary one if your Ethernet/NAS works well. It seems to me it would be a duplication of sorts. I have something similar now for DLNA (JRiver Id) but it's not Roon compatible.

Right on, you already have a computer (the iMac) with connected USB drive in your network, so it would definitely be a duplication. But I think some people would still want to move from a scenario like yours, for various reasons - for example, if they wanted a smaller silent computer with less software hassles.

My system here