IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I have my SMS-200 running wireless (Edimax adapter), accessing a PC running minimserver, using the Lumin app as controller, everything works great! My question is would there be any advantage to installing minimserver on the SMS itself instead (the latest OS update includes that) - presumably that would require putting an external USB HDD with FLAC files on the SOTM, otherwise I don't see the point of running that software locally. Just curious... One final thing - has anyone had an issue with their regen needing to be power cycled in order for the DAC to be seen by the SOTM? I often have to do that after powering up the SOTM (I power down the SOTM every evening because I use a battery PS), but not *every* time, which is puzzling. Thanks,

Ron

43 minutes ago, roncagg said:

I have my SMS-200 running wireless (Edimax adapter), accessing a PC running minimserver, using the Lumin app as controller, everything works great! My question is would there be any advantage to installing minimserver on the SMS itself instead (the latest OS update includes that) - presumably that would require putting an external USB HDD with FLAC files on the SOTM, otherwise I don't see the point of running that software locally. Just curious... One final thing - has anyone had an issue with their regen needing to be power cycled in order for the DAC to be seen by the SOTM? I often have to do that after powering up the SOTM (I power down the SOTM every evening because I use a battery PS), but not *every* time, which is puzzling. Thanks,

Ron

The idea behind using a low power do a minimum renderer was to generate as little noise as possible for a hardware budget. If you run minimserver on the renderer the computer generated noise will increase but the ethernet noise will decrease. Wireless generates more noise than wired or fibre but perhaps that is your only option.  Only way to know for sure is to try it.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:35 AM, MayfromSOtM said:

Please describe the hardware specs of your HQplayer server. We use i7-7700 [email protected] PC and it has no issue when playing PCM 768KHz and DSD256 Up-sampling. I will get you our setting on HQplayer if you want to import and try it out at your end, please email to [email protected]

Thank you.

@MayfromSOtM thank you for your reply. I would love to get your settings and experiment with them.

I am using a dedicated Lenovo TS140 server with 16GB RAM and Intel Xeon Processor E3-1246v3B (3.5GHz) running Ubuntu 16.04. I am not using CUDA offload as it (strangely) becomes worse. At the moment, I am using DSD512 at AMSDM7 512+fs and poly-sinc-extr-2s with Odroid C2.

From my analytical perspective, the issue is that I don't think it is the hardware that causes the pops. I tested on 3 separate machines with the same results:

Odroid C2 as NAA always performs without pops until the server starts chocking, which in the above case is any DSD512 without -2s.

sMS-200 as NAA starts popping at DSD256 and at DSD512 is unbearable with the exact same parameters as above (the units were swapped during each test one after the other and then back to avoid fluctuations). At DSD256, the server barely notices the load.

If you still think this is a server issue... I'd gladly test your setup. I was planning on going headless with the new HQPlayer 4.0.0b1, so if this is your setup, I'd gladly test it as well. 

35 minutes ago, luchoh said:

@MayfromSOtM thank you for your reply. I would love to get your settings and experiment with them.

I am using a dedicated Lenovo TS140 server with 16GB RAM and Intel Xeon Processor E3-1246v3B (3.5GHz) running Ubuntu 16.04. I am not using CUDA offload as it (strangely) becomes worse. At the moment, I am using DSD512 at AMSDM7 512+fs and poly-sinc-extr-2s with Odroid C2.

From my analytical perspective, the issue is that I don't think it is the hardware that causes the pops. I tested on 3 separate machines with the same results:

Odroid C2 as NAA always performs without pops until the server starts chocking, which in the above case is any DSD512 without -2s.

sMS-200 as NAA starts popping at DSD256 and at DSD512 is unbearable with the exact same parameters as above (the units were swapped during each test one after the other and then back to avoid fluctuations). At DSD256, the server barely notices the load.

If you still think this is a server issue... I'd gladly test your setup. I was planning on going headless with the new HQPlayer 4.0.0b1, so if this is your setup, I'd gladly test it as well. 

@MayfromSOtM can you check the CPU usage on the sMS-200 when doing upsampling to DSD256 and DSD512 using HQPlayer ?

A bit of help required ;)

I have my newly acquired SoTM SMS 200 installed and running great with Spotify and NAS, however I cannot get any audio output from Squeezelite, the settings all seem correct, however using iPeng or LMS plays fine as you can see the timer moving, I can choose Spotty, TuneinRadio (which is why I want Squeezelite to work) and both play fine looking at the screen, but....

No audio output?

Is my issue is related to mysqueezebox.com showing the SoTm player as 'not connected' ?

Is there any other way to get radio stations to play ( I have URLs that I can use ) without using airplay ?

Any help or info greatly appreciated.

Mike.

PLEASE IGNORE THE ABOVE POST.....

After fighting with this issue for 3 days now I've just fixed it, I deleted all players from mysqueezebox.com and it worked!

Typical that I did this about 30 seconds after asking for help here lol

Happy Days ?

As I find SOTM website doesn't clearly show the current firmware number or provides a list of previous firmwares (most other firms show a list of firmwares available)  and my audio chain/ SMS-200/audio router is not internet connected can someone please tell me what is the number of  the most up to date firmware/software, thanks.

On 08/02/2017 at 3:31 PM, IanRM said:

Good news this problem is now solved and DSD 256 Native is working correctly!I have been on a TeamViewer session with SoTM. They found that a file was missing from the last few updates and the DSD rate and mode were not being set correctly, This should be corrected in the next update, V3.4. Presumably this only affected the Brooklyn.I must say the customer service from SoTM was excellent.Ian

Hi,

I'm interested in the exact combo you have i.e. SMS-200, Brooklyn and Roon. Would be really interested to hear any more experiences you have with it please...

Also can confirm that you are able to stream Native DSD256 from the Mac to the SMS-200? I get really confused about Native DSD and Mac OSX. I thought you could only output DoP from Mac? Or is that limitation only when going Mac>USB>DAC? Does using the SMS-200 inbetween get rid of that limitation?

Thanks

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

• 3 weeks later...

@MayfromSOtM or anyone else.... I'm confused by the SMS-200 specifications. The manual on the website (maybe older version) says:

PCM 32bit/384KHz max, DSDx64, DSDx128, DSDx256

The product page says:

PCM 32bit/768KHz max, DSDx512 max

What I want to confirm is whether it can play 768khz PCM, and DSD256 over DoP?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

1 hour ago, hurka said:

Hi! I have txusb ultra,standard version.

if I want more clock output need change the board,or just add plugs,cables ?

No need to change the board but it has to be programmed for wanted output frequencies. Only SOtM can do it as far as I know.

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

I have owned a sms-200 for a month now and am very happy with its SQ and performance. One thing that always caught my attention is that everyone seems to think the Roon --> SMS-200 --> DAC route has superior SQ than other sms-200 supported route e.g. DLNA in my case. Can someone please explain to me why this is the case?

I have direct wired cat6 from my router (gigabits) to the sms-200 where my music files served from a WD Mycloud NAS (runing Twonky media server) which is also cat6 wired dorectly to the same router. Btw, I have a LKS MH-DA003 DAC which i am very happy with. I use BubbleUpnp/Lumin as controller on my Android devices.

I would also like to understand what is the purpose of the BubbleUpnp server running inside the sms-200.

On 21/12/2017 at 2:49 PM, t@rmac said:

Hello everyone  ,

Volume fixed ??

In Mpd mode ( Minimserver )  is it possibile to disable the volume knob in Kazoo / Lumin app ?  I can't see anything  in the Mpd config screen

thank   you

May  of  Sotm  answered  to me :   sorry is not possible to disable the volume ..........but is there any degradation of SQ respect a fixed hardware volume control  ?

• 1 month later...
On 2017-12-22 at 10:51 AM, CharlesY said:

I have owned a sms-200 for a month now and am very happy with its SQ and performance. One thing that always caught my attention is that everyone seems to think the Roon --> SMS-200 --> DAC route has superior SQ than other sms-200 supported route e.g. DLNA in my case. Can someone please explain to me why this is the case?

I have direct wired cat6 from my router (gigabits) to the sms-200 where my music files served from a WD Mycloud NAS (runing Twonky media server) which is also cat6 wired dorectly to the same router. Btw, I have a LKS MH-DA003 DAC which i am very happy with. I use BubbleUpnp/Lumin as controller on my Android devices.

I would also like to understand what is the purpose of the BubbleUpnp server running inside the sms-200.

I run BubbleUPnP server on a NAS, where I run minumserver, to provide an OpenHome proxy for the DLNA renderer software running on the renderer hardware, microRendu.  OpenHome provides some extensions to DLNA such as the ability to turn off the control app once a playlist has been started.

3 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

New firmware available 0.4.14

Still no RoonReady 1.1.23 yet. :(

Does anyone know what the 2 DAC's are that were added to the DSD list are?

Also in the MPD/DLNA setup there is a control for "Mixer Type".  The options are Software/Hardware/Null/None.

Mine has defaulted to "Software" but as usual there is no information with the firmware upgrade on what these settings affect.

Also what about  "Add the kernel check feature for native DSD upgrade".  What does that mean?

Anyone got any clues?

@MayfromSOtM

7 hours ago, ClothEars said:

Does anyone know what the 2 DAC's are that were added to the DSD list are?

Also in the MPD/DLNA setup there is a control for "Mixer Type".  The options are Software/Hardware/Null/None.

Mine has defaulted to "Software" but as usual there is no information with the firmware upgrade on what these settings affect.

Also what about  "Add the kernel check feature for native DSD upgrade".  What does that mean?

Anyone got any clues?

@MayfromSOtM

Hi ClothEars, 

Sorry that it wasn't clear to understand.. here I'm trying to answer on your question. 

1. Yes, please have a look this link, you are able to see the latest updated DAC info  here, 

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/eunhasu_-native-dsd-support/?noredirect=en_US

2. Yes, I just realized that the MPD audio output mixer type option has been added but didn't put it up on the version history. Please also check here,  http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/latest-eunhasu-fw-v0-4-14/

3. About the kernel check feature for native DSD upgrade, this feature compares the current kernel with the new kernel version. And upgrades to the latest kernel if the current kernel is not the latest version. For example, if the current kernel didn't include the latest native DSD supportive dac ID, by using this kernel check feature, the current kernel would be automatically upgraded  to the latest kernel to get the latest native DSD supportive dac ID.