IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I had the SOTM100 last year on loan for a fortnight, and decided that it was not as good as my old setup. I don't remember having problems then with the volume control with JRMC DLNA/Jremote : if so, we should ask May from SOTM about a possible update for the DLNA part of the SOTM200?

Both units use different software. The SMS-100 uses Sonore software and I think eunhasu was developed in house. It's entirely possible that volume control was eliminated at the expense of sound quality which is fine by me. I can use an apple remote to control my LH Labs Pulse Infinity.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Both units use different software. The SMS-100 uses Sonore software and I think eunhasu was developed in house. It's entirely possible that volume control was eliminated at the expense of sound quality which is fine by me. I can use an apple remote to control my LH Labs Pulse Infinity.

I just sent an email to May of SOTM about this question. Let's see what she can tell us.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

You are correct : no volume control with the JRMC DLNA server. For JRMC the SOTM200 is not a local zone, so you cannot set audio properties. Jriver refers you to the settings of their DLNA server and that one does not deal with volume settings. So you have to use the volume knob on your amplifier.
The standard UPnP/DLNA renderer being used internally by the smS-200 needs to declare that it supports volume control over UPnP network file streaming as well as implement it. Given that other standard UPnP/DLNA streamers can be volume controlled by JRiver Media Center, it's very unlikely to be an issue with JRMC and therefore a problem with smS-200's UPnP/DLNA renderer declaring volume control support and/or its implementation.

Incidentally, it's JRMC's built-in standard UPnP/DLNA control point that provides the volume control facility, not its UPnP/DLNA media server.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

There's a ''replay gain'' setting button in MPD/DNLA settings which maybe helpful.

I use the DAC Volco so have not really looked to hard but it may have the answer. At a short glance I was expecting dB settings but it looked more like a set of options.

Thank you. I prefer not to use Squeezelite because it doesn't work with DSD. What's odd to me is that my SMS-100 volume control works over DLNA and jrmc. The skinnier o/s does result in a more detailed sound though.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

You can play DSD fine through Squeezelite. I'm doing it as we speak using Squeezelite mode on my microRendu; so the SMS-200 should be able to do the same. You can also play DSD 64 over the SMS-100 via an LMS with the "DSD player" plugin.

All you need is LMS 7.8 or higher and the "DSD player" plugin installed on your LMS.

Maybe you are thinking of Squeezeplay (a different program), which will playback DSD, but necessitates it being converted to a lower res format first at the LMS level. No DSD plugin there.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

You can play DSD fine through Squeezelite. I'm doing it as we speak using Squeezelite mode on my microRendu; so the SMS-200 should be able to do the same.

All you need is LMS 7.8 or higher and the "DSD player" plugin installed on your LMS.

Maybe you are thinking of Squeezeplay, which will playback DSD, but necessitates it being converted to a lower res format first.

Where can I find the DSD add-on? I am using a Netgear SAN. I think the processor is ARM. Duo V2.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Where can I find the DSD add-on? I am using a Netgear SAN. I think the processor is ARM. Duo V2.

You apparently first need LMS V7.8 or V7.9. For my Synology NAS the highest version is V7.7.6, probably for your NAS also. Then there is no DSD plugin visible under settings. I installed beta version LMS V7.9 on my W10 Notebook. Ticked the box voor DSD-plugin and then I can play via the Squeezelite mode DSD files via PCM-DOP (384 max on my DAC). But JRMC DLNA can do real native DSD.

Anyone able to confirm if the SMS200 is compatible with a Singxer SU1 ?

Oyaide MT-UB DIY -> Jay Audio LPS25VA -> SOTM SMS-200 -> Wireworld Starlight 7 USB > Singxer SU-1 w/ Custom Plixir Elementa BDC PSU -> Wireworld Starlight 7 HDMI -> Audio GD NOS 11 -> Hifiman Edition X V2 w/ Q-Audio French Siilk

A couple of questions...

With stock PSU I'm already quite happy with my sMS-200. I would even go as far as to state that it's the best investment I've made in a while. I'm just wondering if there will be a significant improvement with a high end PSU.

I remember not hearing that much of a difference when I upgraded my SB Touch's SMPS to a CIAudio one. It was more of a ''peace of mind'' type investment. I just contacted CIAudio inquiring about the impedance of their 9V PSU. They replied: ''Output impedance is primarily the ESR of the output capacitors, so <.012 ohms'' I'm no expert but based on what others have stated this appears to be too high for the sMS-200.

I just cancelled my order for the sotm iso-cat6 after reading that the money could be better spent elsewhere. Although somewhat skeptical I instead ordered some Supra cat8 ethernet cable as it seems to be universally liked and relatively inexpensive compared to Audioquest etc.

So the next and final (end game) step remains the PSU question: Vinnie Rossi ($$$ I missed out on the intro offer), W4S (low amperage), sPS-500 (not available for a while), SBooster (huge)

I'm using my PC and SB Touch synced to control the sMS-200 but I can't figure out how to control it from my android phone. I tried opening http://eunhasu/ from it but it doesn't work yet works fine when same address is typed into my PC browser. Tested data connection and it's working fine. When I type My Eunhasu in Adroid device all I get is a ''dead'' blank page with My Eunhasu written at the top of the page but no link to connect to Eunhasu itself.

???

I'm using my PC and SB Touch synced to control the sMS-200 but I can't figure out how to control it from my android phone. I tried opening http://eunhasu/ from it but it doesn't work yet works fine when same address is typed into my PC browser. Tested data connection and it's working fine. When I type My Eunhasu in Adroid device all I get is a ''dead'' blank page with My Eunhasu written at the top of the page but no link to connect to Eunhasu itself.???

Type the IP-address of your SOTM200 : that works on my android phone with Chrome.

" Anyone able to confirm if the SMS200 is compatible with a Singxer SU1 ? "

Yes,but the best sound:x mos chip-usb input separate 5v ultracaps, singxer main board sep.5v ultracaps,Sms 200 8v ultracaps. Usb cable short silver.

lot of work ,but sound much much better!!!!!!!

" Anyone able to confirm if the SMS200 is compatible with a Singxer SU1 ? "

Yes,but the best sound:x mos chip-usb input separate 5v ultracaps, singxer main board sep.5v ultracaps,Sms 200 8v ultracaps. Usb cable short silver.

lot of work ,but sound much much better!!!!!!!

Thank you Hurka for the reply that it works and I've ordered my SMS 200.My Singxer is a special modded unit from a local distributor in Singapore. The smps in the Singxer has been removed and its powered from a linear balance psu from distributor sound affairs. Can't wait to receive the SMS 200!

Oyaide MT-UB DIY -> Jay Audio LPS25VA -> SOTM SMS-200 -> Wireworld Starlight 7 USB > Singxer SU-1 w/ Custom Plixir Elementa BDC PSU -> Wireworld Starlight 7 HDMI -> Audio GD NOS 11 -> Hifiman Edition X V2 w/ Q-Audio French Siilk

Its up to you Noirkw91.I also modded su1 before a week:iso trafo-r core transf.-elna caps-Lt 1764-Lt 3042 hyper low noise ldo.

Compare: ultracaps win!!!!more details ,airy,better mid, room full out with music.

I need now: dac clock,x mos chip,singxer board,Sms 200- 4groups independent power.(or later more)

Not only one lps1.

20161219_222731.jpg

Singxer with custom PSU, smps inside the Singxer removed and the PSU is connected direct

20161219_222715.jpg