IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Yeah I suspect there is trade off somehow. Functionality over quality perhaps?

I have tried a couple of good quality linear power supplies with the SMS-200 and found the battery to be better. The only limitation was that it needs to have some serious capacity. I have tried smaller batteries in the 1.2 up to 14 AHr and found them wanting but not the 75AHr AGM battery. Also the CCA (Cold cranking amps) on this battery is 975A which may explain the difference.

I have also changed the iPad app I am using. I installed Soundirok yesterday and it is much easier to use than MPaD as well as having smartlists and playlists that are easy to add to. Sound wise I cannot detect any difference between the two but Soundirok does have a better user interface and the developer still seems to be active in improving it.

That's got to be a good thing.

I have tried a couple of good quality linear power supplies with the SMS-200 and found the battery to be better. The only limitation was that it needs to have some serious capacity. I have tried smaller batteries in the 1.2 up to 14 AHr and found them wanting but not the 75AHr AGM battery. Also the CCA (Cold cranking amps) on this battery is 975A which may explain the difference.

Would you please specify which linear power supplies you have tried with the SMS-200?

And, please provide the exact model AGM battery you prefer.

I'm not challenging anything, rather I just wish to understand as I'm looking at power alternatives. Thank you.

Would you please specify which linear power supplies you have tried with the SMS-200?

And, please provide the exact model AGM battery you prefer.

I'm not challenging anything, rather I just wish to understand as I'm looking at power alternatives. Thank you.

I have tried the Teradak, SBooster and Giesler 12v linear power supplies (borrowed from friends) and found the big battery sounds better. That is, deathly quiet background with better detail and clarity creating the perception of better dynamics.

The one I bought here in Australia (not sure if the exact same model is available in U.S, Euro etc) is the Optima yellow top 75AHr 12v AGM (Advanced Glass Matt). On mine it says the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is 975A. I believe it is this measure that may have something to do with the success of this battery.

When I tried other wet 12v car batteries with CCA figures of around 580 to 630 the sound was certainly clean but lacked dynamics and presented a constricted sound stage. I had been playing around with batteries from 1.4AHr to 20AHr previously but the linear power supplies were better than any other battery I tried until I used the Optima.

Fully charged at 13.2v the SOtM SMS-200 consumes about 0.1v to 0.2v a day (10hrs) so I get a lot of play time before a recharge is required (around 11.8v).

I hope that helps. :)Optima-YTS5.5.jpg

As controller for MPD you can also use the official Lumïn controller. This controller runs flawless on an Ipad. I do not know if this controller is compatible with other devices than an Ipad.

Enjoy!

Regards

Wiebren

Sbooster

I tried Lumin but it could not detect the attached hard drive and I could find no way to add it. I am now using Soundirok and it works very well. It reads my previous playlists as well as having smart lists so MPaD has been retired.

Hi May

I believe @mikeyb was concerned that he'd be restricted to using the sMS-200 just as a Squeezelite player, with the possibly of having to run LMS on a computer. This is not true, since the sMS-200 is of course also an mpd & UPnP/DLNA renderer similar to @mikeyb's current system of a Raspberry Pi running the MoOde distro and the sMS-200 in UPnP/DLNA mode should similarly be able to be controlled with his BubbleUPnP Android app.

It's the BubbleUPnP Android UPnP/DLNA controller app that provides @mikeyb's current system with Google Music access, so should still function with the sMS-200 in UPnP/DLNA mode.

John

Hi and sorry that I was slow in responding you but yes, as you reported, Google Music can work through Bubblue UPNP app with sMS-200 MPD/DLNA function. but there is no direct way to use Google Music, the Bubble UPNP should need in current stage.

Thank you for your explanation.

Best regards, MAy

I like its versatility but that means nothing if performance doesn't live up. Will need somebody to take one for the team.

This guy is taking one for the team. Will test it along with the sMS-200 (which I also just placed order for).

From Tony at W4S when pressed to make ridiculously unfair comparison to Uptone's dual-output, twice the price offering, by yours truly:

Regarding the PS-1, our main goal behind the design was to provide excellent, clean, noise-free power for small devices such as you mention. But we also saw a big need for innovation in this field, so we engineered the modularity aspect which we think potential customers will easily and immediately appreciate. Combining the two and through test after test, we think we truly have something special in the PS-1. We’ve already got some reviewers lined up and looking forward to getting it written about. But in a practical sense, we’ve been using it successfully in various configurations for months.

As far as going head to head with Uptone and others, we’re confident in our engineering and know how, and also our procedures. It’s not extremely difficult to make a good performing power supply, although good engineering is key. But we’ve often wondered why some of these PSUs cost so much? The parts inside don’t often seem to warrant the price tag, so perhaps it’s the casework, marketing or simply markup. At any rate, we know we’ve got a solid product with obvious value. As such I suppose our hope is that it will be both ‘everyman’s supply’ due to it’s modular appeal and sonic improvements, and disrupt the current landscape for the same reasons.

Hope that helps and that you decide to pick one up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Tony

At the end of the day, W4S' offering wins for expandability. I wanted a single PSU to power multiple devices under $500. I suspect this thing, will win hearts. Will report back once tested.

Oh yeah, back on topic...any word on sMS-200's Wi-Fi add-on?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

This guy is taking one for the team. Will test it along with the sMS-200 (which I also just placed order for).

From Tony at W4S when pressed to make ridiculously unfair comparison to Uptone's dual-output, twice the price offering, by yours truly:

Regarding the PS-1, our main goal behind the design was to provide excellent, clean, noise-free power for small devices such as you mention. But we also saw a big need for innovation in this field, so we engineered the modularity aspect which we think potential customers will easily and immediately appreciate. Combining the two and through test after test, we think we truly have something special in the PS-1. We’ve already got some reviewers lined up and looking forward to getting it written about. But in a practical sense, we’ve been using it successfully in various configurations for months.

As far as going head to head with Uptone and others, we’re confident in our engineering and know how, and also our procedures. It’s not extremely difficult to make a good performing power supply, although good engineering is key. But we’ve often wondered why some of these PSUs cost so much? The parts inside don’t often seem to warrant the price tag, so perhaps it’s the casework, marketing or simply markup. At any rate, we know we’ve got a solid product with obvious value. As such I suppose our hope is that it will be both ‘everyman’s supply’ due to it’s modular appeal and sonic improvements, and disrupt the current landscape for the same reasons.

Hope that helps and that you decide to pick one up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Tony

At the end of the day, W4S' offering wins for expandability. I wanted a single PSU to power multiple devices under $500. I suspect this thing, will win hearts. Will report back once tested.

It's tempting but I'm still waiting for the sMS-200 to become available before ordering a power supply. I hate waiting.

Regards,

Tony

Hi, my name is May and I'm working for SOtM.

We are trying to release the perfectly matching power supply for sMS-200, named sPS-500 and the USB re-generator, tX-USBUltra in this year, but I'm afraid to say the schedule is getting delayed :( I will post the news once they are finally available, and you can see the specification of them on our website shortly.

Regarding the Wi-Fi availability on sMS-200, it's still on going project, and I will need to check with our team internally and announce when it will be available.

Thank you!

Best regards, MAy

Hi, my name is May and I'm working for SOtM.

We are trying to release the perfectly matching power supply for sMS-200, named sPS-500 and the USB re-generator, tX-USBUltra in this year, but I'm afraid to say the schedule is getting delayed :( I will post the news once they are finally available, and you can see the specification of them on our website shortly.

Regarding the Wi-Fi availability on sMS-200, it's still on going project, and I will need to check with our team internally and announce when it will be available.

Thank you!

Best regards, MAy

I just confirmed that the wi-fi is scheduled to be released at the end of this year!!!

Thank you :)

I have tried the Teradak, SBooster and Giesler 12v linear power supplies (borrowed from friends) and found the big battery sounds better. That is, deathly quiet background with better detail and clarity creating the perception of better dynamics.

The one I bought here in Australia (not sure if the exact same model is available in U.S, Euro etc) is the Optima yellow top 75AHr 12v AGM (Advanced Glass Matt). On mine it says the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is 975A. I believe it is this measure that may have something to do with the success of this battery.

When I tried other wet 12v car batteries with CCA figures of around 580 to 630 the sound was certainly clean but lacked dynamics and presented a constricted sound stage. I had been playing around with batteries from 1.4AHr to 20AHr previously but the linear power supplies were better than any other battery I tried until I used the Optima.

Fully charged at 13.2v the SOtM SMS-200 consumes about 0.1v to 0.2v a day (10hrs) so I get a lot of play time before a recharge is required (around 11.8v).

I hope that helps. :)[ATTACH=CONFIG]31118[/ATTACH]

Hello. I admire your diligence. You have a lot more resources than I would. Where did you get the connector cable? Did you just make it yourself? I would think small signal cables like this would sound best with silver or silver plated copper. What are your thoughts?

Bought direct from sotm site. Hope to have it early next week. Canada sucks

Ps. I'm Canadian

Well I tried that a number of times but when I try to ''add to cart'' I get a ''Sorry this item is unavailable...'' pop up.

Canadian distributor has just informed me that their shipment has been stuck in customs - for 2 weeks!!!

What a PITA

Well I tried that a number of times but when I try to ''add to cart'' I get a ''Sorry this item is unavailable...'' pop up.

Canadian distributor has just informed me that their shipment has been stuck in customs - for 2 weeks!!!

What a PITA

Hang in there, it's worth the wait. I received mine yesterday. I ordered it directly from SOtM in South Korea last week and I received it within 4 days. Not sure how I got so lucky.

I've tried powering it with my LPS-1 and my Paul Hynes SR7 and this thing is truly special. Straight out of the box, it is easily outperforming my mR.

Hang in there, it's worth the wait. I received mine yesterday. I ordered it directly from SOtM in South Korea last week and I received it within 4 days. Not sure how I got so lucky.

I've tried powering it with my LPS-1 and my Paul Hynes SR7 and this thing is truly special. Straight out of the box, it is easily outperforming my mR.

So it's confirmed then. The LPS-1 works well with it.

Hello. I admire your diligence. You have a lot more resources than I would. Where did you get the connector cable? Did you just make it yourself? I would think small signal cables like this would sound best with silver or silver plated copper. What are your thoughts?

I am using a light gauge (10amp) power cable which I have found sounds a bit better than light/small cables. I haven't tried any silver or silver plated cables but I might give it a try in the near future.

Shocked this thing hasn't got more attention. Added one to my chain last night. Installation flawless. Sound quality blew me away even with just the included power supply. I had a Raspberry Pi 2 as roon end point previously with iFi iPower PS. Stunning difference. Tested with both roon and as an Apple AirPlay client via Shareport. Recognized my DAC immediately. Can't wait until I get my new power supply to see what this thing can really do. I also tested up to 24/192 FLAC over wireless and everything played without hesitation. I have the sMS connected to an Airport Express set up as wireless bridge. I thought for sure I would have problems with hi res files, but seriously immediately started playing and no drops.

Ps. Had a little hick-up with software update. Sent email to SOtM team and immediately got a response. They tapped in via TeamViewer and solved the issue within few minutes. Great service IMO.