IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

I love my Bluesound NODE 2. It sounds fantastic and customer service is great as well. It is an outstanding value too. I also really enjoy the BluOS ap. It's good to see others around here are enjoying it.

Cheers,

Scott

Bluesound NODE 2->Arcam FMJ A19->Bowers and Wilkins 683S2->WireWorld cables

The Node 2 somehow flew under my radar. Along with microRendu and SMS-200 it's now a possible contender as a replacement for my SB Touch.

Any opinions?

I really want to upgrade from the Touch but just can't seem to make up my mind with all the streamer options not to mention third party PSUs, reclockers, cables, etc

I have Node 2 . So far I was streaming Tidal only. I have a large library on a hard drive that I was playing via Olive one from an old Mac. I'm planning to copy it and play it via Node 2. What is the easiest way to do it? Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm using smsl Dac, connected to Kitoki tube amp and Omega single driver speakers

Hi bakalovb .. not sure if this will be at all helpful to you but I have my library (uncompressed flac) on an external USB drive attached to my AirPort Extreme router and mapped accordingly in "Configure Network Shares". Simple and my Mac no longer needs to be on to listen to music from my library. Good luck.

The Node 2 somehow flew under my radar. Along with microRendu and SMS-200 it's now a possible contender as a replacement for my SB Touch.

Any opinions?

I really want to upgrade from the Touch but just can't seem to make up my mind with all the streamer options not to mention third party PSUs, reclockers, cables, etc

There really isn't much if anything the Bluesound can do over the Touch. What improvement are you seeking?

Any opinions?

Depends on your needs and wants really. For example, when I was looking for a streamer WIFI was a must for me (still is) thus taking some devices like the microRendu (ethernet to USB only) out of the running.

There really isn't much if anything the Bluesound can do over the Touch. What improvement are you seeking?

More texture, depth, soundstage, etc. Better sound quality basically.

Everything the microRendu is supposed to be capable of (without costing 5K). There are reviews of the mR, SMS-200 and BS N2 on HB's YouTube channel. Unfortunately he doesn't compare the N2 to the two others. He does however appear to favor the SMS over the mR. Then again PSUs come into play so it's not a clear cut opinion.

The Touch no longer the FOTM is seldom compared nowadays. Is that because it's discontinued or simply because it can't compete with the new kids on the block?

Depends on your needs and wants really. For example, when I was looking for a streamer WIFI was a must for me (still is) thus taking some devices like the microRendu (ethernet to USB only) out of the running.

I don't need WIFI. I actually disconnected the WIFI card from my Touch's motherboard. USB is another story as my current DAC doesn't have a USB input. This is where the BS N2 becomes more interesting. I could avoid buying a new DAC. But if it doesn't sound better than the Touch there's no point is there?

I don't need WIFI. I actually disconnected the WIFI card from my Touch's motherboard. USB is another story as my current DAC doesn't have a USB input. This is where the BS N2 becomes more interesting. I could avoid buying a new DAC. But if it doesn't sound better than the Touch there's no point is there?

You're right of course but how will you know unless you give one a trial in your own system? I had to do the same and it was everything I had hoped. You may find it sucks. If you do decide to try one I hope you'll let us know your findings, surely it will help someone down the line. Good luck.

Emcee, as Melvin suggested I hope you give the Node 2 a try. You can get it direct from Bluesound with free shipping and 30 day return policy or pick one up at a Best Buy who have a generous no hassle return policy as well. I've really enjoyed mine.

Cheers,

Scott

Bluesound NODE 2->Arcam FMJ A19->Bowers and Wilkins 683S2->WireWorld cables

There are reviews of the mR, SMS-200 and BS N2 on HB's YouTube channel. Unfortunately he doesn't compare the N2 to the two others.

That's right but he makes a relation between Bluesound Node 2 and his MacMini:

"Even in my Set 1 the Node 2 was acceptable for the occasional listening.It would even be more than sufficient as an internet radio receiver.

When hooked up over SPDIF to the ten times more expensive Chord QDB76 d/a-converter,

it came at about 80% of the quality the Mac Mini offered using USB."

In his microRendu review again he states that this offered the best sound so far in his set up which in return indicates that he finds it to be be better than his MacMini and even more than the Node 2.

I would also love to hear a review saying that BS N2 can compete with mR and sMS200 in SQ because I'd love to get rid of too much boxes, cables and PSUs in favor of an easy one-box-solution. But as far as I understand Hans' reviews this unfortunately does not seem to be the case with the Bluesound Node 2.

Of course anyone's first hand experiences are welcome!

That's right but he makes a relation between Bluesound Node 2 and his MacMini:

"Even in my Set 1 the Node 2 was acceptable for the occasional listening.It would even be more than sufficient as an internet radio receiver.

When hooked up over SPDIF to the ten times more expensive Chord QDB76 d/a-converter,

it came at about 80% of the quality the Mac Mini offered using USB."

In his microRendu review again he states that this offered the best sound so far in his set up which in return indicates that he finds it to be be better than his MacMini and even more than the Node 2.

I would also love to hear a review saying that BS N2 can compete with mR and sMS200 in SQ because I'd love to get rid of too much boxes, cables and PSUs in favor of an easy one-box-solution. But as far as I understand Hans' reviews this unfortunately does not seem to be the case with the Bluesound Node 2.

Of course anyone's first hand experiences are welcome!

Toward the end of his recently updated Bluesound Node 2 review he gives the Node 2 a nod for best in its class/price-point, which includes the Aries Mini. Out of curiosity I would also be interested in a comparison to the microRendu. (Not that I would get rid of my Bluesound products mind you.)

• 1 month later...
Bluesound posted a link on FB ... the take-away is:

"NAD Electronics and Bluesound have announced that their streaming media players will be “Roon Ready” by the end of the 2016."

Read more at NAD, Bluesound Network Players Embrace Roon | Sound & Vision

Woohoo! When the M32 comes on the market I may consider getting rid of my media computer, NAD M51 dac, and monoblock amps and replacing with the M32 with BluOS module. Talk about condensing things!

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Woohoo! When the M32 comes on the market I may consider getting rid of my media computer, NAD M51 dac, and monoblock amps and replacing with the M32 with BluOS module. Talk about condensing things!

Saw the new NAD M32 with BluOS module at a local dealer today, just breaking in but sounding pretty good right out of the box!

• 3 weeks later...

My Node 2 arrived yesterday and according to the tracking website my new loudspeakers DALI Opticon 6 will arrive today. Whoohoo.

Yesterday evening I already did some tests with a headphone connected to the connector on the Node 2. It worked.

Upfront I linked it to my Wifi network and it started updating it's firmware. After that I started adding Spotify, my local RADIO stations and my network drive with FLAC files. A Breeze.

As I played around with it I also found some things I didn't like: lozing my configuration from time to time and I've opened a case for that.

So what happened: When the device looses it LAN or Wifi connection it put's itself in WIFI hub mode. So you can configure it. However this implicates that it looses it's config completely. It does this every time. It could happen now and then that it'll lose it's wifi or LAN connection and I don't want to reconfigure everything after it happens. I've opened a case for it.

Also when you push the pauze/play button for 5 seconds the device will put itself into vacation mode.. consuming even less power. When bringing it back with a short push.... gues what... again green lights.. WIFI HUB mode and all configs are lost.

Do you have seen similar things? I have logged a support ticket and will also check for this on their forums.

My Node 2 arrived yesterday and according to the tracking website my new loudspeakers DALI Opticon 6 will arrive today. Whoohoo.

Yesterday evening I already did some tests with a headphone connected to the connector on the Node 2. It worked.

Upfront I linked it to my Wifi network and it started updating it's firmware. After that I started adding Spotify, my local RADIO stations and my network drive with FLAC files. A Breeze.

As I played around with it I also found some things I didn't like: lozing my configuration from time to time and I've opened a case for that.

So what happened: When the device looses it LAN or Wifi connection it put's itself in WIFI hub mode. So you can configure it. However this implicates that it looses it's config completely. It does this every time. It could happen now and then that it'll lose it's wifi or LAN connection and I don't want to reconfigure everything after it happens. I've opened a case for it.

Also when you push the pauze/play button for 5 seconds the device will put itself into vacation mode.. consuming even less power. When bringing it back with a short push.... gues what... again green lights.. WIFI HUB mode and all configs are lost.

Do you have seen similar things? I have logged a support ticket and will also check for this on their forums.

Please consider the issue as closed. I just received feedback from Bluesound support. They asked me to reset the unit to factory settings just in case. And it did the trick. A happy customer I am.

Hey guys, am I allowed to ask a real noob question?

I noticed the comments about the excellent onboard DAC of the Node 2, but does this also work on the TOSLINK connection?

I would guess that this is a pure digital connection passing it over to the DAC of the receiver. Or not?

If so, to be able to listen to the Node 2 DAC would I'll need to use the Analog RCA connections?

snip ..

If so, to be able to listen to the Node 2 DAC would I'll need to use the Analog RCA connections?

Yes, the coax and optical out are for connecting to an outboard DAC or a receiver/integrated with an on-board DAC. Glad your issue was handled quickly with the Bluesound Support team.

Yes, the coax and optical out are for connecting to an outboard DAC or a receiver/integrated with an on-board DAC. Glad your issue was handled quickly with the Bluesound Support team.

Hi Melvin, just to be absolutely sure I'll describe my situation.

At the moment I have my Node 2 connected via Toslink to an old Onkyo Receiver which is connected to a pair of Dali Opticons.

In the future I will replace the Onkyo with a amplifier with integrated DAC. However at the moment it is what it is.

In this situation what is the best way to connect the Node 2 to the receiver:

1. Via Toslink (No DAC of Node 2 used)
  2. through RCA (DAC of Node 2 used, and hopefully improve sound).

Or didn't I understand your reply and is the DAC inside the Node 2 always used? How to by-pass to connect to a better DAC?

At the moment I have my Node 2 connected via Toslink to an old Onkyo Receiver which is connected to a pair of Dali Opticons.

In the future I will replace the Onkyo with a amplifier with integrated DAC. However at the moment it is what it is.

Or didn't I understand your reply and is the DAC inside the Node 2 always used? How to by-pass to connect to a better DAC?

Sorry for not being clear. When using the analog out (RCA) to connect to your receiver/integrated you will be hearing the Node's on-board DAC. When using either Toslink or coax, the Node's on-board DAC is bypassed and the signal will be processed by the on-board DAC in your receiver/integrated (or stand-alone DAC if you go down that route). Which sounds better? Only you can decide that.

I would expect that the DAC inside your Node 2 is of higher quality than the one in your old receiver. Use analog out from Node 2 to receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Hi,

I have just bought a Node 2 for my home gym and am quite impressed with it. However, the reason that I bought it was because of the intended link with Roon which was supposed to be implemented 'before the end of the year'.

It now seems, as is very often the case with these things, that this will not now be met and with no new date that I can ascertain. Whilst I quite like the Node, it is no use to me without Roon as I have switched my whole house music system over to the Roon software. I am wondering now whether to hold on or return the Node whilst I still can.

Does anybody have any more advance information about Roon ready release?

Thanks.

Sorry for not being clear. When using the analog out (RCA) to connect to your receiver/integrated you will be hearing the Node's on-board DAC. When using either Toslink or coax, the Node's on-board DAC is bypassed and the signal will be processed by the on-board DAC in your receiver/integrated (or stand-alone DAC if you go down that route). Which sounds better? Only you can decide that.

I have done some A/B between the BS internal DAC and the DAC on my NAD C388 by switching from RCA to toslink and prefer the DAC of the NAD amp slightly more. I've wondered though at what level (price range or model suggestion) of external DAC would start to surpass the SQ of the BS or NAD. Anyone have any insight on this?

Just an FYI, an update landed today. Mobile apps got updated too.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app