IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

I'm contemplating the Node 2 as well, and have been for a while because my PC takes up so much space and needs so many power supplies. What would really be useful is a comparison between the Node 2 and a blinged out audio server to see how much they differ. Does anyone have both?

MrSprout, FWIW I'm moving from a Mac mini (late 2012, 2.6GHz quad-core i7, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, headless) with an Oyen Digital Thunderbolt SSD external hard drive for storage. I have 3 DACs, 2 USB-SPDIF converters, a REGEN, a W4S reclocker, and several PSUs (linear & battery). For software I have licenses for Amarra Symphony, Audirvana+, JRMC, HQPlayer, and Pure Music (among others). I'm still putting the Node 2 through it's paces with various configurations but it will remain. The Mac mini, which served me well, is out. I'm kind of flabbergasted by the sound quality from this appliance (even through its analog out). The cost of the Node 2 is a small fraction of what I paid for my mini and subsequent software. It speaks to just how far we've come in computer audio.

I'm contemplating the Node 2 as well, and have been for a while because my PC takes up so much space and needs so many power supplies. What would really be useful is a comparison between the Node 2 and a blinged out audio server to see how much they differ. Does anyone have both?

Not the Node 2 though I've heard the Node 1 a fair bit.

I've had multiple PCs and servers, all tricked out and running everything from Linux/Daphile to 2 PC JPlay setups, and also small form servers/streamers like Auralic, BeagleBone, Raspberry Pi, etc. and the SOC/SBC small form servers/streams win by a long shot. Everything from noise floor to dynamic range and bass is improved with them, not to mention being less noisy and less heat generated. I'd highly recommend any of them, most of them in specs would be the same, the OS, s/w (typically running a Linux distro) and apps would separate them.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Thanks guys, although I've just replaced my broken SOtM card with a PPA one (when it eventually turns up) I think I'll have to give the Node 2 a try. I can't trial it as I don't know the bluesound dealers well enough, but it's not outrageously priced.

Master, by SOC/SBC were you including the Node, or was that just the Pi/Beaglebone type servers you preferred?

Master, by SOC/SBC were you including the Node, or was that just the Pi/Beaglebone type servers you preferred?

I meant and included (generally speaking) the Node and the Sonos too (as in under streamers). I have 3 Sonos speakers and Sonos Connect, 4 Chromecast Audios, a couple of Raspberry Pi's, a BeagleBone, and then the usual AVRs with onboard WiFi. As you can see a ton of devices and running their own version of OS - primarily though I run MinimServer, Audio Station (on Synology), BubbleUPnP Server, and have now started playing with LMS and the likes of piCorePlayer. Everything runs off a Synology NAS + Netgear X6.

I stream all over the house, everything from the lawn to the kitchen, but most of it is for the family or background listening. The main rig though is in my personal den and is on a dedicated 5GHz network, but that also feeds off the NAS. In addition I stream a ton of online services like Tidal, Spotify and internet radio like iHeartRadio and a ton of classic rock stations.

The Node will work for all of this and more... though long term a Synology is what you should be looking at. Then you can move the likes of the Node and other devices to NAA i.e. small footprint devices that feed off a server. Its not HQPlayer, but the idea is the same and I've used 2 PC setups in the past with JPlay and Daphile.

PS: With a NAS you can do this for video too, and out of home streaming too.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 2 weeks later...

I've officially retired the Mac mini from my audio space. Well, not exactly I suppose. I'm using the BluOS control app for Mac along with the iPhone/iPad apps. I also have a FLAC-filled Oyen Digital drive attached via USB to my Airport Extreme in an adjacent room providing library duty. I've already stated being somewhat flabbergasted with the sound quality of this appliance and feel I should reiterate .. I'm kind of flabbergasted! In every way it has equaled or surpassed the Mac mini. The sound quality is quite good with the on-board DAC and is elevated much more so with my Chord Qute EX. The device is a joy to use. The apps are well done with few nits to pick. After 8 years of using a well-appointed general-purpose computer in my audio system I'm just thrilled to have found an appliance (among the many) which perfectly suits me. Peace and good listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Any impressions on how the SQ fare against a Macbook running A+?

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question for Node 2 users: if you have another device connected to the optical input, such as a Blu-ray player, is it possible to pass the digital signal through to the optical output and use a separate DAC for both sources? For example if you had a DAC with a single input and needed to connect up both devices? I'm assuming source switching would take place in the Bluesound app in that event?

Quick question for Node 2 users: if you have another device connected to the optical input, such as a Blu-ray player, is it possible to pass the digital signal through to the optical output and use a separate DAC for both sources? For example if you had a DAC with a single input and needed to connect up both devices? I'm assuming source switching would take place in the Bluesound app in that event?

Sounds plausible MrSprout but without knowing for sure you might want to ask the folks over on their forum. https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/

This is from the manual:

BSN2 optical in.png

and check this out also: https://support.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/202507826

From the Bluesound forum it looks like I can pass digital through, using the app to select the right source, so that's fine.

Has anyone compared the Node2 to the Vault2 for sound quality (digital or analogue)? I only need one unit and the Vault's ripping and storage would be useful, but does having an internal HDD affect sound quality like it does in my PC?

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I've just ordered a Node 2 !

Is anyone using the coaxial out? In all of my reading so far I've only noticed everyone using the Toslink out.

My amp accepts 24/192 on the coax input, and 24/96 on toslink. I'll try both but just wondering if anyone has anything against coax, compared with toslink?

Cheers

Hi all, I've just ordered a Node 2 !

Is anyone using the coaxial out? In all of my reading so far I've only noticed everyone using the Toslink out.

My amp accepts 24/192 on the coax input, and 24/96 on toslink. I'll try both but just wondering if anyone has anything against coax, compared with toslink?

Cheers

Congrats on the purchase. I hope you enjoy the Node 2 as much as me. I'm using the coax out to my Bifrost MB right now and it sounds great. I hear little difference (if any) using Toslink. I use a Lifatec glass Toslink cable which passes a 24/192 signal flawlessly.

I'm very happy with my Node 2 - I haven't spent much time on these boards since getting it...

I ran both Toslink (Audioquest Vodka) and coax (DH Labs D75 RCA-BNC) from the Node 2 to an Exposure DAC and marginally preferred the coax output. Both were very good but the coax was slightly tidier in the treble. I'm currently running coax into a different DAC with a different cable and that works fine too, although I haven't compared it to Toslink yet in this set-up. I think you'll be fine with both outputs so use whichever input your DAC sounds best with.

One comment though is that I'm streaming wirelessly so there's no electrical connection to the router and NAS. If you're using both the wired ethernet connection and using coax to the DAC then that might give you a slightly different result (conceivably) but I haven't tried it.

Just another question - do you guys use a re-clocker with your Node 2? If not, had you tried one and found it wasn't required?

With either you coax or toslink output, whichever one you use.

Cheers :-)

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

I use a Wyred 4 Sound bLINK re-clocker with mine in conjunction with a Bifrost Multibit or Qute EX DAC. Sounds great. Do I need to use it? No, absolutely not. The Node 2 sounds pretty good using it's on-board DAC as well, IMO .. not quite at the level of either of my DACs but still most acceptable. Which re-clocker(s) were you contemplating? The new iFi S/PDIF Reclocker has my interest.

I use a Wyred 4 Sound bLINK re-clocker with mine in conjunction with a Bifrost Multibit or Qute EX DAC. Sounds great. Do I need to use it? No, absolutely not. The Node 2 sounds pretty good using it's on-board DAC as well, IMO .. not quite at the level of either of my DACs but still most acceptable. Which re-clocker(s) were you contemplating? The new iFi S/PDIF Reclocker has my interest.

Yep the new ifi relocker has my interest too ! So the reclocker with the Bluesound Node 2 isn't as essential as with a Sonos or Chromecast Audio it seems. That's good to know.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Yep the new ifi relocker has my interest too ! So the reclocker with the Bluesound Node 2 isn't as essential as with a Sonos or Chromecast Audio it seems. That's good to know.

No, not essential as has been reported elsewhere. Unfortunately there hasn't been much interest in Bluesound here. I would give a good listen before adding a re-clocker if just for evaluation purposes. BTW, I'm thinking the iFi Re-clocker should be my audio Xmas present this year :).

No, not essential as has been reported elsewhere. Unfortunately there hasn't been much interest in Bluesound here. I would give a good listen before adding a re-clocker if just for evaluation purposes. BTW, I'm thinking the iFi Re-clocker should be my audio Xmas present this year :).

I'm guessing you read the same review on DAR about the iFi re-clocker? Nice Xmas present indeed

Please don't wait for xmas. Buy now and let us know if it's worth it. I'm loving the sound of my Node 2 with a Modi multibit dac. Hard to imagine it could be better, but I'll buy if you go first.....?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Computer Audiophile mobile app