IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

Glad to hear they are similarly stable.  I'll try running the android version on my Galaxy S8 and also load it on the old iPhone5 and then decide which tablet to get.  Some of the android tablets are relatively cheap.

1) Selah Audio Fedele Speakers (Revel in ceiling surrounds) QNAP TS-251 NAS accessed w/ a Ruku Ultra through SPDIF ipurifier into a Marantz SR7008 A/V receiver.

2) Freya + preamp, Hypex NC400 Amp, Zaph L18 Speakers, Martin Logan Dynamo sub-woofer

Bluesound Node 2 and Pro-Ject Expression w/ AT440mlb.

• 1 month later...

I am still trading emails with Bluesound support. Strange, I can play Tidal via an Airport Express on my home hifi with an iPad but I cannot do it with the Node 2. AE is only $100. For $500 you would think the Node 2 would work as well. I really wish I never started with the Vault 2 and Node 2. I must have wasted 100 hours screwing around with it. Now back to the Airport Express.

2 hours ago, BilboAlaska said:

I am still trading emails with Bluesound support. Strange, I can play Tidal via an Airport Express on my home hifi with an iPad but I cannot do it with the Node 2. AE is only $100. For $500 you would think the Node 2 would work as well. I really wish I never started with the Vault 2 and Node 2. I must have wasted 100 hours screwing around with it. Now back to the Airport Express.

Well, that sucks (your frustration is palatable). Your situation seems unique and hopefully it works out for you in the end. That being said, if I had the same problems I would sell them both and look for another streaming solution.

I can understand your issue with the Vault 2 (needs wired ethernet) but not for the Node 2. Strange indeed. FWIW in addition to my Node 2 I also have 2 Pulse Flex's and have never experienced a wifi issue with any of them. In fact, the 2 Flex's are on the 2nd floor of my house and nowhere near my router. The router is on the 1st floor on the other side of the house. It's all very stable .. not even a hiccup. 

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 2:17 AM, Melvin said:

Well, that sucks (your frustration is palatable). Your situation seems unique and hopefully it works out for you in the end. That being said, if I had the same problems I would sell them both and look for another streaming solution.

I can understand your issue with the Vault 2 (needs wired ethernet) but not for the Node 2. Strange indeed. FWIW in addition to my Node 2 I also have 2 Pulse Flex's and have never experienced a wifi issue with any of them. In fact, the 2 Flex's are on the 2nd floor of my house and nowhere near my router. The router is on the 1st floor on the other side of the house. It's all very stable .. not even a hiccup. 

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Thanks. After much back and forth and suggestions from Bluesound tested and tried, I ended up just using the Node 2 wired to the Apple Airport Express. It works so I just left it that way. I got tired of wasting time trying to eliminate the AE. It may be possible to use the Node without the AE but I am not enough of a tech geek to figure it out, even with their help.

• 2 months later...

@Melvin hello- i have read all 13 pages of threads on BSN2 and have some questions

i intend to use the BSN2 on the 3rd floor of my house and stream to it from my late 2012 mac mini i7 16GB ram via an excellent Apple Time Capsule WiFi connection(the 2TB tower model).

I currently listen to TIDAL HiFi/MASTERS/Qobuz/Deezer/RadioParadise/Spotify-i use ROON also to stream TIDAL and Audirvana +3 for both Qobuz and TIDAL.

I have a pre-multibit Schiit Gungnir DAC an ME2(full MQA 'unfold') and AQDFRed in my  main listening room on the first floor

do you know(or anyone else) if A+3 is compatible with BSN2?

I would play the BSN2 via the RCA analog outs to an all analog vintage Pioneer Elite M-90 and C-91 preamp. I would like to use the BSN2 also with an equally vintage Pioneer Elite PDM-910 6 disc CD changer(which believe it or not has both coaxial and optical outs despite being from late 1980's and has Burr-Brown DAC) can i connect it to the BSN2 digitally and thus take advantage of the newer Burr-Brown DAC and out to the Pioneer poweramp/preamp?

Unless i am misunderstanding all these threads the BSN2 is a better way to listen on my third floor rather than buying a Schiit modi multibit and using my iPad/iPhone with iPeng/ROON app/A+3 app to capture streaming from my first floor and from what you have intimated may sound subjectively  just as good with BSN2 Burr-Brown DAC.

thanks bobbmd

if you are wondering why i would do all this and climb 2 flights of stairs to listen to same music i have on first floor-well it's the only place my CFO will allow me to smoke a Nub cigar have a dram of Lagevulin without freezing my ass off on the porch with my wireless  Sennheiser RS-195s!

Hey @bobbmd .. as gomle69 stated the BSN2 is not compatible with A+ (or others) as it's a one-box streaming solution with its own operating system. The Node 2 is integrated with all the streaming services you mentioned. Some of the integration (i.e., Deezer) is very rudimentary and a work in progress, but works well. Will it be the better solution for you? I think you'll need to trial the Node 2 and see for yourself if it's acceptable. There are some members here (GUTB) that think it's crap and not suitable for an audiophile. After nearly 2 years with mine, I remain quite happy with it.

Your CD player can be connected via the Node 2's mini toslink/3mm combo port. BTW, the Node 2 comes with an optical to mini-jack converter in the box if you need one and there is a software setting for auto-sensing/switching for this connection. It works well.

Best of luck.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 2:35 PM, Leroy Bad said:

Can someone comment on the differences between the Node 2 and the Yamaha MusicCast WXC-50?

Can the Tidal app cast to the Node 2 directly, or only through the BlueOS app?

You must use the Bluesound app with the Node 2 and vault 2 as far as I can see. BS app gives you a list of all the choices to play and Tidal is on my list. So Tidal from inside Bluesound app. 

• 1 month later...

I downloaded the Bluesound iOS app to my iPad. Opened and it played the "connecting" circle display for a few minutes, then said: 

"NOT COMPLETE

An error occured while setting up your player. Please try again.

So, that is the same message I have been getting for 6 months with the old BS app. 

Back to the Apple Airport Express and the Muzo Cobblestone. They work but have constant drop outs. They rarely make it through an album without shutting off and need to be restarted. 

Funny, my computer never fails or drops out on this wireless network.

Just upgraded the player, Mac OS, and iOS.  Big improvements!  A longstanding problem I experienced with MQA files dropping out while the optical input was in use is solved.  Also, the Mac OS version is a complete redesign and seems much more stable.  Note on Mac OS update:  the application name changed (BlueOs Controller vs. BlueOS), so you need to delete your old dock shortcut and create a new one.

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

The redesign is just beautiful on my Macbook with many considerate features to make it a great experience. For some reason I feel more comfortable on it than on the iPad. I see no reason to have my iPad Air 2 around any longer. Any takers? It's going to Best Buy to be traded in, in about...30 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Are we expecting Airplay 2 to come to the Node 2?

Or are we thinking it will only come to the Node 3 (or whatever the next model is called)?

Have there been any hints or whispers by Bluesound that the Node 2 will get Airplay 2?

I do know the Bluesound is a partner with Apple to support Airplay 2 but wondered if that meant existing products or the next generation? 

Cheers!

10 hours ago, BilboAlaska said:

The Bluesound Vault 2 should have airplay also. Why no wifi capability? I have to use an Airport Express to add wifi to the Vault 2.

I never understood Bluesound's decision to omit wifi on the Vault 2. Of course there are work-arounds like what you're doing but, considering their line of products, this shouldn't be necessary. For me, wifi is a must. You're frustration is palpable.

I've been using a Chromecast Audio (via optical-in) to stream Pandora and Google Play through my Node 2 as a work-around for the lack of integration with those services. I'm still amazed neither of these services, nor Chromecast support, is integrated .. it's been years now. Fortunately, the Chromecast Audio is only $35 and works great. At least Bluesound added an option for optical auto-switching in the settings .. much less cumbersome.