IGNORED

Auralic Altair DAC/Streamer

If Auralic were to do what other competing players do - and display the sampling rate on the screen of the unit the way that we know that it can (because it does so in AirPlay mode as well as when it's in pure DAC mode), then this would help users verify that the device was indeed playing an unadulterated file that didn't get transcoded somehow, and also help us all know, at a glance, what kind of file we were listening to without a lot of work.

I do not know if this will help you...but I am using BubbleDS Next as a control point on Android instead of LigthningDS (which I only use for updates, settings and setup). Not only do I think it sounds better than LightningDS (atleast with Tidal as source)...but it also displays the sampling rate. You should give it a try if you have an Android device laying around. It is free to try (15 songs playlist limit I think it was) and cheap to buy.

🎛️  Audio System  

I do not know if this will help you...but I am using BubbleDS Next as a control point on Android instead of LigthningDS (which I only use for updates, settings and setup). Not only do I think it sounds better than LightningDS (atleast with Tidal as source)...but it also displays the sampling rate. You should give it a try if you have an Android device laying around. It is free to try (15 songs playlist limit I think it was) and cheap to buy.

My preference is to use the Synology software that includes all my playlists that I can access from anywhere, and that allows me to edit metadata as I listen. I covered this in detail in an earlier post.

• 3 weeks later...
Any review on Altair? Impressions? Users with Roon?

I'm using the Altair as my bedroom source, feeding a Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier via XLR. Listening through Sennheiser HD 800 headphones.

While Auralic would tell you to use their proprietary DS Lightning Server, I'm a big fan of Roon and I'm very impressed with the Roon/Altair combo. Altair is receiving files wirelessly from my Synology NAS. To me it sounds as stable as a wired connection. Plays FLAC and DSD, or anything else I've thrown at it so far.

I would have no hesitation recommending Altair to someone using Roon. They got it right!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Pre-amp, DAC, ethernet streaming in one box.

I have been searching, but have yet to find any direct competitors to the Altair for under $2000 (USD). The Teac and Oppo seem to be the closest...any others?

Niether the Teac NT-503 nor the Oppo Sonica DAC have gapless playback via ethernet (none for Oppo, No DSD for Teac), no Tidal, Roon, (or Pandora), limited functionality of their iPhone/Andoid control app. Also the Teac does not allow simultaneous use of the XLR + RCA outputs (which I would use to connect my amp on XLR and subwoofer on RCA). The Altair has more inputs as well.

Pre-amp, DAC, ethernet streaming in one box.

I have been searching, but have yet to find any direct competitors to the Altair for under $2000 (USD). The Teac and Oppo seem to be the closest...any others?

Niether the Teac NT-503 nor the Oppo Sonica DAC have gapless playback via ethernet (none for Oppo, No DSD for Teac), no Tidal, Roon, (or Pandora), limited functionality of their iPhone/Andoid control app. Also the Teac does not allow simultaneous use of the XLR + RCA outputs (which I would use to connect my amp on XLR and subwoofer on RCA). The Altair has more inputs as well.

Maybe the moon 280dsd with inbuilt mind module could be considered a competitor.

[br]

is it really Aries+Vega without compromise? So the dealer said to me... he cannot say there is any difference.... he told me Auralic has merged the 2 products....really awesome!!!!!!

Everything ever made and everything that will be made will have compromises. There is no such thing as no compromise. Same thing with limited edition. Everything ever made is a limited edition. Humans are not capable of producing unlimited quantities (maybe human failure and idiocy is unlimited).

But enough of that. If I remember correctly the Lumin D1 is also around the 2k price point. Not sure if it will operate with wifi. But I prefer a wired network over wifi by a long shot. WiFi is not stable enough.

[br]

But enough of that. If I remember correctly the Lumin D1 is also around the 2k price point. Not sure if it will operate with wifi. But I prefer a wired network over wifi by a long shot. WiFi is not stable enough.

Mind that auralic says the best performance will be via wi-fi network.

Thanks

...If I remember correctly the Lumin D1 is also around the 2k price point. Not sure if it will operate with wifi. But I prefer a wired network over wifi by a long shot. WiFi is not stable enough.

Ah, close...and it looks to be quite a handsomely made unit. But no pre-amp functions. No additional inputs. Also I believe no Roon, Tidal, Pandora...just internet radio.

So are you all going to sell your Aries and Vega to get the Altair? Did they actually merge the two together? Hard to believe they would do such a thing,but with a new Aries coming out maybe they did.

According to Auralic and others this is not the equivalent of an Aries and Vega combined. Functionality-wise perhaps, but one notch down in SQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Ah, close...and it looks to be quite a handsomely made unit. But no pre-amp functions. No additional inputs. Also I believe no Roon, Tidal, Pandora...just internet radio.

From the Lumin website:

Getting started with Tidal:

Firstly, a TIDAL account is required (30-day free trial available).

When you tap the TIDAL tab (shown in blue) for the first time you will be asked to login.

app-tidal-tab.png

[br]

Just found this. I'm on the cuff on which way to go.

Q: What are the differences in the Altair's DAC vs. the Vega?

A: The reported differences between the Vega and the Altair are the Orfeo Class-A modules that come with the Vega are not in the Altair, and the Vega's analog stage has a better power supply.

If you want the ultimate in sonics, the vega and aries is preferred.

Just found this. I'm on the cuff on which way to go.

Q:What are the differences in the Altair's DAC vs. the Vega?

A: The reported differences between the Vega and the Altair are the Orfeo Class-A modules that come with the Vega are not in the Altair, and the Vega's analog stage has a better power supply.

If you want the ultimate in sonics, the vega and aries is preferred.

BTW...what do you mind the factory can say? I think there is -in facts- no differences...

Can anyone confirm ( @scirica ?) that the Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outs are Both active at the same time? I'd like to use the XLR to the main amp and the RCA to my subwoofer and Zone 2 amp.

Sent an email to support and had an answer with 5 minutes from the main dude! ...great service!

The XLR and RCA are individually buffered so they can be used at the same time. Thanks.

Xuanqian Wang | CEO & Designer | [email protected]

Attachment(s)

ALTAIR_USERSGUIDE_R2.pdf