IGNORED

HiFiiMan 560 vs Mr Speaker Ether vs Sen 800

I'm interested in these three hi end headphones. Problem is 560 and Ether are new and no reviewer seems to have heard all three. Anyone here have experience with them? Also I've got a Ayre Codex driving a pair of Senn HD 600s and would like to know if I'm crazy upgrading (by over $1000). I know diminishing returns sets in. I'm a classical music lover and want smooth neutral sound. I've listened to the 600s vs the Audeze 3s and really don't like their recessed sound. Good hi end and low end but a problematic midrange.

Ken Eis

The HiFiMan HE500 are velvety smooth.

This is an amazing piece of work: Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)

... got my HE500s after reading it.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I'm interested in these three hi end headphones. Problem is 560 and Ether are new and no reviewer seems to have heard all three. Anyone here have experience with them? Also I've got a Ayre Codex driving a pair of Senn HD 600s and would like to know if I'm crazy upgrading (by over $1000). I know diminishing returns sets in. I'm a classical music lover and want smooth neutral sound. I've listened to the 600s vs the Audeze 3s and really don't like their recessed sound. Good hi end and low end but a problematic midrange.

The HD800 is fantastic, with resolution of upper harmonics that's out of this world. Needs a really good amp. I've heard several planars including the LCD2 and Alpha Dog, and while they have potentially good bass, fairly good mids, they fall flat on treble. Not because they don't compare to the HD800 treble, but because they just lack a good high end. Then there's the HD800 and HD800s .....

I highly recommend the HD800s.

I have been through quite a few headphones, including the HD800 which were not for me. I understand the love of the HD800, however, they require some work to get them to a "listenable" state for a long listening session.

I have never had a more enjoyable and tonally accurate headphone than the HD800s, that is listenable all day and incredibly spatially accurate at the same time. My LCD-X are going up for sale. I have had HD800, Fostex TH900, McIntosh and the LCD-X. I am using the HD800s with a HUGO and Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it is outstanding.

Never had HiFiMan 560 or Ether.

HD800 paired with Cavalli Liquid Carbon is a stellar combo.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I already took advantage of his upgrade discount to the Gold.

The wait begins

Nice! Let us know how you like it when it arrives. Yes, that was a very, very generous offer from Cavalli. I thought hard about upgrading myself.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I took my Codex to a head-fi meet a few weeks ago and got a chance to try the HD800 with it. Although it was only in SE mode, it was an obscenely good combination and it would be quite a bit better in balanced mode (I know my Audeze is definitely better this way.) It was a good enough experience that I am now scheming a way to get an HD800 (well, probably an HD800S.)

The HE560 is a nice enough headphone but it should not be in the same conversation as the HD800 (or the LCD-3 for that matter.) I compared it back to back to back to back with my LCD-3F, HD800, and HE-1000 ($3k!) I really wanted to like the 560 but it just sounded very coarse compared to the other headphones. With all the others I found something I liked best about them, but I didn't think that with the 560.

The Ether I have not heard but I have had Alpha Dogs and have a lot of respect for the sound that Mr Speakers shoots for.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I have the Ethers, fabulous sound and very light especially compared to the Hi Fi Man and Audezes I tried. I haven't heard the new HD800s but found the originals did some amazing soundstage but were a tad bright. I gather the new versions have voiced this out.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.