IGNORED

Onkyo DP-X1 Digital Audio Player Thread

Today, got an promotion email from Onkyo on it's DP-X1 (Digital Audio Player) Portable Audio | DP-X1 | Onkyo USA. Its available on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWLQ1AY?m=A1OU29AMUFF9TS&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

Interested in hearing your feedback..

Reference -> WIIM Pro Plus powered by Larry's HDPlex-> CA DacMagic Plus -> AudioResearch DS225 Audioquest XLR -> Sonus Faber Olympica 2 Kimber Speaker Wire

Family Room -> ALOO DIGIONE -> SPDF-> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> 7.1 In Wall Polk Audio SVS Sub (Home Theatre)

Living Room-> BlueSound NODE Gen3-> Carver THX Amp -> NHT Zero + SVS SB-1000 (LivingRoom)

I am curious about this unit as well (and similiar ones in this price range), but not enough to go in blind on one. I do use Onkyo's "bit perfect" android player to stream hi-res flac from by phone to an external DAC/Amp, and it is fine though the UI can be eccentric at times...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I am curious about this unit as well (and similiar ones in this price range), but not enough to go in blind on one. I do use Onkyo's "bit perfect" android player to stream hi-res flac from by phone to an external DAC/Amp, and it is fine though the UI can be eccentric at times...

I've been using a Samsung tablet with an AQ Dragonfly. I've only had it for a few months, but there seems to be several pretty good players for Android. So far, Playerpro, Neutron and Poweramp are my favorites, but several others look good as well. I looked at an iPad first but none of the players looked all that great, and I don't care for Apple's player. It would be nice if some of the popular PC, Linux and Mac players offered tablet versions.

• 5 months later...

I just got an Onkyo DP-X1 about 4 days ago. I got it with 2 of the 200 gig memory cards, so I have 432 gigs worth of storage. I have all my music on there in either FLAC format, or DSD format. I listen to it with some Etymotic ER4RS earbuds on the road, and some Sennheiser HD-650's at home. So far the player has played everything flawless. The music sounds fantastic, as all these new Hires DAP do. I mainly chose this player because it has 2 memory card slots, and because it has all the latest features. One feature it has is that it has two amps, and two DACs, so you can listen to balanced headphones. I'll probably be ordering a special cable for my HD-650's, so I can listen to it in balance mode, which is supposed to sound even better. The screen is 720P HD and it is gigantic, from top to bottom of the device. The battery last all day, but I keep wifi and bluetooth turned off. If you need to run it off of an AC outlet, you can use the USB cord plugged into a wall USB charger. I use the one that came with my iPad. The main reason I got it is because I just started ripping my SACD's, so I can now make my own DSD files and listen to those on the road. It's a great little player, and well worth the money. The only thing I don't like about it, and I think most of these portable DAPs have the same problem, is that you can't take it apart. They are glued together, so when the battery finally dies, you can't take them apart and put a new battery in it.

DP-X1.jpg

164196760.jpg

The only thing I don't like about it, and I think most of these portable DAPs have the same problem, is that you can't take it apart. They are glued together, so when the battery finally dies, you can't take them apart and put a new battery in it.

Yep, this rather obvious planned obsolescence is rather popular. The last smart phone I shopped for and purchased was one of the few top end models that had a replaceable battery. Alas, these manufactures know their market and have calculated that the vast majority of customers simply do not care. Thanks for the review!

Technology is changing so fast, that by the time the battery finally dies, most people will be ready to upgrade, or have already upgraded. By that time, some third part will probably start a business in taking these glued devices apart and replacing the battery, so it's really not that big a deal.

Technology is changing so fast, that by the time the battery finally dies, most people will be ready to upgrade, or have already upgraded. By that time, some third part will probably start a business in taking these glued devices apart and replacing the battery, so it's really not that big a deal.

Well, that is one perspective. I tend to keep my phone a bit longer than "most people" and perhaps I cycle my battery more, but I defiantly notice a significant drop in battery performance before I "upgrade" thus I (have so far) only purchased devices with replaceable batteries. I realize this might not be possible in the future - perhaps this will force me to the used market where I spend $less$ upfront and thus don't mind replacing my phone more than I otherwise would...

I keep mentally bouncing back and forth between the Questyle and the Onkyo.

anybody have any "head to head" comparisons and feedback?

I want one .... or the other...... but which???

Sound wise, there is not much difference between all these new portable DAPs. They pretty much all sound fantastic. Some hard core guys are lucky enough to test them side by side, and they claim they can hear a difference. I'm not one of those guys, so I just went by the features I was looking for, which was lots of storage space, giant screen, what kind of files it plays, and the price. The Onkyo checked off all those boxes. After I got it, I found out about the balanced headphone output, which is a big plus, and I can't wait to try it. The QP1R is a nice player too. It also has dual card slots, but the screen is smaller, and I think it cost more. You really can't go wrong with either one. As soon as you get one, somebody else will come out with something better.

Hi this is my first post here although I've been lurking around for a few years gleaning knowledge from all you guys. I am thinking of buying a DAP and the Onkyo is one I'm considering the others being the Fiio X7 and the AK 70, the problem for me is that I'm partially sighted and require a Zoom function as I have on my iPhone I understand that all the above DAPs operate on a custom Android OS and know from friends who have Android phones that they include zoom features in there accessibility settings but wether these settings exist in these custom OS's is hard to find out, I am hopefully going to dem an AK70 this weekend but wondered if you could check the settings of your Onkyo to see if it contains an accessibility suite with a zoom function likewise if anyone is familiar with the Fiio X7.

Any help in this regard would much appreciated.

Pete

I keep mentally bouncing back and forth between the Questyle and the Onkyo.

anybody have any "head to head" comparisons and feedback?

I want one .... or the other...... but which???

If DSD matters, not sure but I think the Questyle does DSD direct while the Onkyo converts to PCM first as most, if not all, others do (check http://www.head-fi.org)...not sure about high-end Astell & Kern devices. If you plan to use an external DSD-DAC check if the DAP can output DSD via USB.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Hi this is my first post here although I've been lurking around for a few years gleaning knowledge from all you guys. I am thinking of buying a DAP and the Onkyo is one I'm considering the others being the Fiio X7 and the AK 70, the problem for me is that I'm partially sighted and require a Zoom function as I have on my iPhone I understand that all the above DAPs operate on a custom Android OS and know from friends who have Android phones that they include zoom features in there accessibility settings but wether these settings exist in these custom OS's is hard to find out, I am hopefully going to dem an AK70 this weekend but wondered if you could check the settings of your Onkyo to see if it contains an accessibility suite with a zoom function likewise if anyone is familiar with the Fiio X7.

Any help in this regard would much appreciated.

Pete

Hey Pete, I just checked my DP-X1 and it does have a zoom feature for the main music app. It is turned off by default, but you can go into settings and turn it on. I turned mine on to check. To zoom, you triple tap the screen and it zooms in. You can then pinch your fingers and zoom in even more. Hope that helps you out.

Ralph

Hey Pete, I just checked my DP-X1 and it does have a zoom feature for the main music app. It is turned off by default, but you can go into settings and turn it on. I turned mine on to check. To zoom, you triple tap the screen and it zooms in. You can then pinch your fingers and zoom in even more. Hope that helps you out.

Ralph

Thank Ralph thats great news now I can try and give it a dem.

Much appreciated

Regards

Pete

Been close to pulling the trigger on the DP-1X for a while now, getting very close.

Two sabre DAC's plus over 400Gb storage (with 2 cards) is the big sell for me. I like my iPhone, but I can put only a fraction of my music collection on it.

Need to investigate the 1XA now ... looks a fair bit pricier though, and when the price goes up I start getting naughty A&K thoughts...

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

• 2 months later...

I bought my DP_X1 a couple of months ago and have been happy with it. The battery life is reasonable and the sq and storage capacity is probably better than I need. I didn't realise the restrictions the android os imposed, and if I'd known that before I bought it, I wouldn't have. However, after I did a system update last week, I am unable to enter text - when I tap a field to enter text, I can't because the keyboard doesn't appear. I have also lost my browser. Onkyo support have yet to reply to my e-mail.

I can still load music and listen. I am unable to enter new stations in the internet radio app (dRoidio).

Any advice?

Update

In desperation, I tried to do a reset. Snookered -the system requested a pin, which requires a typed response.

I am still awaiting Onkyo's response to my mail.

I was suprised to discover that some of Onkyo's websites don't recognise DP-X1, eg Onkyo Oceania.